It's hair dryer time of year again..Hard hat question

OnduleeOndulee Posts: 1,305Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
I'm definitely getting a hard hat dryer before the frost comes(next Sunday night) and I have a choice of two.

For everyone who has a hard hat, which do you think is a better all around dryer?

the Ion (R2D2)
http://www.sallybeauty.com/Hard-Hat-Dryer/SBS-301080,default,pd.html

or a Gold n Hot model similar to this one?

http://www.houseofbeautyworld.com/gonhotelioha.html

the price difference is $25 witht the Gold n Hot being more expensive....

for the experienced user, is there really much difference? or are there little things that will make one a better purchase over the other?
shoulder length bob; fine; 3A-3B; thin density; normal porosity; normal elasticity- my hair loves keratin, ACV, silk protein ,Curlkeeper and AG:Recoil ; needs moisturizing products and hates oils except mineral oil; CG- Jan/'09-mod CG Sept/'09;CG again Jan/'10/mod CG from Mar'10

Comments

• CheetaraCheetara Posts: 2,182Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I also intend to get a hard bonnet drier sometime soon. I had settled on this one because it got great reviews. However, let me know what you ultimately get and how it works out for you. I probably won't be purchasing mine for another month.
    Sort of CG sometimes, but not really
    2B, medium? normal porosity and elasticity?

Cleansers -
    Suave Clarifying, Philosophy Happy Birthday Beautiful

Stylers - BRHG, re:coil, Ion Hairspray

I live in the NYC area.

• OnduleeOndulee Posts: 1,305Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I really wanted the Babyliss roll-about stand dryer but I don't have space for it and it's over $200....

so, I have to settle for a table-top model.
    shoulder length bob; fine; 3A-3B; thin density; normal porosity; normal elasticity- my hair loves keratin, ACV, silk protein ,Curlkeeper and AG:Recoil ; needs moisturizing products and hates oils except mineral oil; CG- Jan/'09-mod CG Sept/'09;CG again Jan/'10/mod CG from Mar'10

• pedahehpedaheh Posts: 4,812Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I'm also in the market for a hard hat dryer. I had a Gold-N-hot model from sally's home last spring (not sure which one). I returned it. The hood was so large that my head rattled around in it. Took forever to dry my hair and didn't do a good job at getting the back of my head. I should add that my hair is shorter then my hair line, so it really wasn't good at getting the back.
    I'm currently eying the R2D2 (ion from sally's), because of the big thread of love on this site. It gets terrible reviews on the sally's site. Off to look into the hot tools brand dryer.
    http://pedaheh.blogspot.com/ (a blog to help new wavies, go to the how do I get started page)
    2a (nc.com) 2bFi (Fia), very fine, thin, low/normal elasticity, porous, CG, doesn't get weighed down
    Cowash: Tresemme naturals
    Rinse out/leave in: Renpure Organics (red)
    Curl enhancer: FSG
    Gel: BRHG, Salon care aloe, Ecostyler Krystal (normal dews)
    PT: ION effective care, IAgirl's gelatin PT
    Low Poo: renpure (red), Ion swimmers
  • WurlyLoxWurlyLox Posts: 4,858Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I have and like the R2D2. Don't know anything about the Gold N Hot one, however, since it's also ionic, I might like it even better if it's bigger (it doesn't look larger) - the R2D2 is a tight squeeze if I try to use my CHS roller clamps under it, and it would also be if you tried to sit under it with rollers larger than 1-1/2" or so in diameter (I haven't).

Neither the Gold N Hot nor the Hot Tools dryer at Folica appear to have the wings you can pull down like the R2D2, which IMO are needed, and I'd like it even better if they came down even farther to better dry my longer hair.
    2C/3A/3B - modified CG - fairly fine now, normal/low porosity/normal elasticity

Current Main Rotation: MG217 medicated or Aim2Health 'poos for scalp, Elucence cond., Spiral Solutions Protein & Deeply Decadent Cond., CJCCCC reg or lite,CJ Pattern Pusha,, Giovanni LA Hold Hair Spritz + lots more, sporadically

HG Method: Super Soaker + Smasters-ing, brief upside down diffusing w/360o diffuser then clips/clamps & air dry. Newly gray - stopped my henna glosses!

www.fotki.com/auntnett
    Neither the Gold N Hot nor the Hot Tools dryer at Folica appear to have the wings you can pull down like the R2D2, which IMO are needed,

ooo!!! what are the wings? I didn't see any mention of any kind of wing thing in the description... this might be the tipping point in favour of the R2D2

I now see that their site calls them an "adjustable visor shield" - It has three clear plastic panels about 3-4 inches long that pull down on each side and on the front, but many of us still clip a towel around the bottom of it to direct even more of the air downward to dry our longer hair (mine's almost BSL).

Current Main Rotation: MG217 medicated or Aim2Health 'poos for scalp, Elucence cond., Spiral Solutions Protein & Deeply Decadent Cond., CJCCCC reg or lite,CJ Pattern Pusha,, Giovanni LA Hold Hair Spritz + lots more, sporadically

HG Method: Super Soaker + Smasters-ing, brief upside down diffusing w/360o diffuser then clips/clamps & air dry. Newly gray - stopped my henna glosses!

www.fotki.com/auntnett
    looks like I'm getting an R2D2! thanks!

oops! now I'm scared again because I just realized that the picture of the R2D2 on the sally's site is NOT the glossy covered one that everyone is raving about! It shows a more matte blue cover with a white handle stuck to the top, not a smooth glossy blue egg-shaped dome.

How do I make sure I get the glossy covered one with the extended visor?

I noticed on the really long R2D2 thread that someone mentioned they didn't have the same thing and then I realized that Sally's seems to have the matte blue covered dryer...

Sorry, I haven't been able to visit much lately, so you may have already gotten a dryer . . . I just went to the Sally's site to have a look. It wouldn't let me enlarge the picture, so I can't be entirely sure, but except for mine being more glossy than it looks in the picture, it looks like the same dryer. The shape of it looks the same as mine, and it does say that it has the adjustable visor shield.

Maybe just read the box to be sure it has that and that it has 3 speeds and that it's ionic. If all that, it's probably the same, even if it's a more matte finish on the helmet.

www.fotki.com/auntnett
    auntnett wrote: »
    Sorry, I haven't been able to visit much lately, so you may have already gotten a dryer . . . I just went to the Sally's site to have a look. It wouldn't let me enlarge the picture, so I can't be entirely sure, but except for mine being more glossy than it looks in the picture, it looks like the same dryer. The shape of it looks the same as mine, and it does say that it has the adjustable visor shield.

Maybe just read the box to be sure it has that and that it has 3 speeds and that it's ionic. If all that, it's probably the same, even if it's a more matte finish on the helmet.

I went to the Sally's near me and the only Ion dryer they had was the Ion model with the white square handle on the top of the matte blue dome. It doesn't have the adjustable visors at all but it is ionic. They also warned me the bowl of the helmet was pretty small and could not accomodate rollers. I have 60 days to decide if I want to return it, but there is no other hard hat dryer in stock to exchange it for so I'll just make the best of it.

So, there are two different model floating around out there and some have lucked out by getting the one with the visors...I really wanted that one but oh, well.

• Jess the MessJess the Mess Posts: 5,844Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I also clip a towel around my dryer like Auntnett suggested...I think I took a pic of it a loooooong time ago...I'll try to find it.

Found it!
    100_1510.jpg
    High Priestess JessMess, follower of the Goddess of the Coiling Way and Confiscator of Concoctions in the Order of the Curly Crusaders

• Auntie BubbsAuntie Bubbs Posts: 1,068Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I would add, make sure it has a decent cord legnth, or be prepared to add an extension cord unless your outlet is right next to where you'll be sitting. I have a huge problem with that!
    That's me with FSG as my styler!!

3b. fine & thick, coarse, dry, medium porosity. Sucks up product and loves ACVs! FSG is my HG!

Currently using:
    Low Poo: TJ's Refresh No Poo: CoWash w/VO-5; Sonoma Soap Company sulfate-free poo
    RO: Yes to Cuc; SSC Lavender Condish; Sally GVP LI: Donna Marie Miracle D&C
    Style: FSG w/Aussie Instant Freeze & CIAB

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file