Do Black Women use Men Ask An Excuse For Relaxers?

ChloesCurlyChloesCurly Registered Users Posts: 54
Lately I've been hearing a lot of black women say the "reason" they wont go natural is because they dont think black men will be attracted to it.

Do you think that may be an excuse?

I mean, Imma be honest, the most flack I've gotten over being natural has come from black women EXCLUSIVELY. I mean, if black men aren't interested they just aren't interested, but they generally dont make it a point to tell me "girl, you need a touch up real bad". even if we are ignored by black men I think for the majority of us, the rude comments have come from black women.

So it leaves me wondering whether the black women who say this are passing the buck at black men because in reality.....they are AFRAID of going natural themselves and ultimately (let's be real)......dont want to look like Florida Evans.

What do yall think?

My support scale for my natural hair goes like this:

White women
Biracial men
Black men and White men (it REALLY depends on the class of the man)
Mexican Men

Everybody in the world in between....

Oh and then black women

Sorry for the typo , I meant. "Do black women use black men as an excuse for relaxers?" ugghh....I need to go to bed...lol

Comments

• NstinctiVnaturNstinctiVnatur Registered Users Posts: 127
    Lately I've been hearing a lot of black women say the "reason" they wont go natural is because they dont think black men will be attracted to it.

Do you think that may be an excuse?

I mean, Imma be honest, the most flack I've gotten over being natural has come from black women EXCLUSIVELY. I mean, if black men aren't interested they just aren't interested, but they generally dont make it a point to tell me "girl, you need a touch up real bad". even if we are ignored by black men I think for the majority of us, the rude comments have come from black women.

So it leaves me wondering whether the black women who say this are passing the buck at black men because in reality.....they are AFRAID of going natural themselves and ultimately (let's be real)......dont want to look like Florida Evans.

What do yall think?

My support scale for my natural hair goes like this:

White women
    Biracial men
    Black men and White men (it REALLY depends on the class of the man)
    Mexican Men

Everybody in the world in between....

Oh and then black women

Sorry for the typo , I meant. "Do black women use black men as an excuse for relaxers?" ugghh....I need to go to bed...lol

This is a good question and honestly I think I look my best in str8 hair. I look young so I think when I wore my hair str8 and down I looked a bit older.

I was wondering if the biracial men meant black and white or just a racial mix in general? I find I get the most support from other naturals (black) then white women.
    Never:love5: relaxed
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Experimenting in creating my own products.
  • JessicazFroJessicazFro Registered Users Posts: 1,446
    I think some of them do. I suppose that women overestimate the importance of hair when men seek a mate. I have yet to see proof that men care THAT much about whether hair is straight, wavy, curly or kinky as long as its "done". To some chicks, having natural hair means that its not "done" do to not being weaved up, gelled down or wigged. LOL. I've actually gotten the most compliments from black men. They love my hair. And not just uppity black men either the hoodrats are fascinated by it LMAO!
    tex-laxed(pfffttt) :dontknow:
    Thick/coarse/low porosity/low elasticity
    4a/b cottony/spongy

At war with my indestructible, armadillo hair...MY WILL BE DONE!

imager.php?id=2689460&t=o GIFSoup
    :tongue:
    PS. Low self esteem is a mother. Some chicks may already think (or know) that they are not very attractive and conclude that natural (read: nappy) hair will make them look worse. I don't have such hangups about my appearance and I think my hair makes me look alot better. I have my hair in two-strand twists and have had a handful of people tell me I look nice with locs LOL (now how often do you hear that? It was a mixure of men and women ALL black) :D
    4a/b cottony/spongy

• Mo_Gemini22Mo_Gemini22 Registered Users Posts: 485
    Yes I think it is an excuse. I think most black men are just used to relaxed hair, weaves, and wigs. I live in DFW....land of weave and wigs although there is a big natural hair meetup group here. I get compliments from everybody. I think being natural, especially in DFW makes you stand out in the crowd. I have been told by several people that I look OLDER with straight hair and that my natural hair fits my face.

Just my two cents
    Last relaxer - July 07
    BC - 8/2/08
    4B headband-holic
    Products in rotation (too many!):
    Shampoo - Giovanni Smooth as Silk, Giovanni Tea Tree
    Condish - Giovanni Smooth as Silk, Trader Joe Nourish Spa
    Leave in - Sheamoisture Curl Milk, KCNT, Giovanni Direct
    Deep Treatment - Apoghee Two Step Protein Treatment, Giovanni Nutrafix
    Moisturizers - Carefree Curl Gold Spray
    Stylers - Sheamoisture Curl Smoothie
  • AmberBrownAmberBrown Registered Users Posts: 1,072
    I most definitely get the most support from other black women who are natural. It made me sad to see your list skip/ignore that group entirely :(
  • ChloesCurlyChloesCurly Registered Users Posts: 54
    I wasn't skipping/ignoring it...there just isn't a large enough group where I am right now to make a difference..lol.

I dont live in an area where there is a smorgasbord of black women with natural hair, and the ones who are natural, are natural just because they didn't put the relaxer back in. NOT political, health, or educational reasons at all. They still have the good hair mentality too if not worse. So there really insnt a huge difference between the black women with natural hair and the ones with relaxed hair as far as I suppose mentality is concerned. :sad:
    AmberBrown wrote: »
    I most definitely get the most support from other black women who are natural. It made me sad to see your list skip/ignore that group entirely :(
    I agree with this.

Even if one were to argue that black men have a preference for straight hair. That does NOT indicate in anyway that they have a hatred for natural hair. Men dont know the difference between a heat styled natural and a person with relaxed hair. And I really dont see much hate towards locs, kinky twists, or braids.

I think that when people say that black men dont like "natual hair" its a bit broad...the only time I see black men NOT liking natural hair, is exclusively wash n gos, and I think that may have more to do with how our curly hair shrinks up. If anything, they dont seem to be (from my experience) as fond of afros...or afro "looking" hair than natural hiar in general, and I really think that has more to do with the fact that our curly hair when we do wash n gos shrinks and looks shorter. Like if it hung down I dont think they would care about that ether.
    Yes I think it is an excuse. I think most black men are just used to relaxed hair, weaves, and wigs. I live in DFW....land of weave and wigs although there is a big natural hair meetup group here. I get compliments from everybody. I think being natural, especially in DFW makes you stand out in the crowd. I have been told by several people that I look OLDER with straight hair and that my natural hair fits my face.

Just my two cents
  • LadyV69LadyV69 Registered Users Posts: 3,397
    It's an excuse. If you put your best foot forward and are confident, any man would be attracted to you, regardless of your hair texture. This isn't to say that there isn't a fair number of ignorant brothers, because there are. But if those men are that hung up over your natural hair, they aren't worth your time.
    Fine haired, low density, highly porous curly kinky lady
    Last relaxer: Not sure. 3/08 or 4/08
    BC'd: 9/18/09
    Co-wash: Suave Naturals, HEHH, Trader Joe's Tea Tree Tingle, CJ Daily Fix
    Leave-In: KCKT, Giovanni Direct Leave-In, CJ Smoothing Lotion
    Stylers: ORS Twist and Loc Gel, KCCC, Ecostyler, SheaMoisture Deep Treatment Masque
    Deep Conditioner: DevaCurl Heaven In Hair, CJ Deep Fix

http://confessionsofladyv69.wordpress.com/
    :sign5:
    I think some of them do. I suppose that women overestimate the importance of hair when men seek a mate. I have yet to see proof that men care THAT much about whether hair is straight, wavy, curly or kinky as long as its "done". To some chicks, having natural hair means that its not "done" do to not being weaved up, gelled down or wigged. LOL. I've actually gotten the most compliments from black men. They love my hair. And not just uppity black men either the hoodrats are fascinated by it LMAO!
  • AquarianWavesAquarianWaves Registered Users Posts: 238
    Its an excuse for a lot of women. Like another poster said, low self esteem is probably the biggest thing stopping a lot of relaxed women from going natural. A lot of women out here feel like the number of men who approach them is validation of how attractive they are. They do their hair in a way that they think appeals to the masses so that they can have a better chance at being approached. I love when I see black women with their natural hair bc to me it shows a lot of confidence..its a very bold statement and I think more (real) MEN are attracted to that over all else. My list for natural hair supporters actually goes like this...

Black women
    Black men
    White men
    White women..

lol...the funny thing is..I dont give 2 sh*ts...I'm my #1 fan and thats what matters most!

Let me add that I actually DO appreciate the compliments and support from ppl, its just NOT whats keeping me natural.
  • subbrocksubbrock Registered Users Posts: 8,212
    absolutely. i think women in general use the fear tactic that they won't be able to get a man if they do xyz as a way to hold onto and justify insecurities.

i've been natural for almost 7 yrs. and from my experience, there is no particular demograph for who supports my natural hair. its just the people in the world who can look at me and accept that thats how my hair grows out of my head and keep it moving.

i'm not even convinced any more that there is a preference in a fresh wash n go vs. my 3 day old fuzzy hair! i have a male friend who just the other day was like, "i love your hair. it looks great as usual." and i told him that i find it hilarious that he always compliments my hair after i haven't touched it for 3 or 4 days and his response was "that's when it's the best!"
  • EllyEllyOxenFreeEllyEllyOxenFree Registered Users Posts: 6,446 Curl Neophyte
    To me it's kind of another type of projection...they don't like their hair natural, so they can't imagine that a man would like it. My own mother even told me that she couldn't ever go natural because she "wanted to be cute." I just looked at her like :confused2: and kept it moving!
    BC'ed: 26 Dec 09
    YouTube
    Grand Duchess Fierce Freckles, Mistress of the Mighty Snap and Doyenne of the Potent Products Pavane in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
  • Nicky791Nicky791 Registered Users Posts: 679
    I'm not going to lie, when I first started transitioning to natural that was one of my concerns. I didn't think that MEN in general would be accepting of my hair, on top of my insecurities my best friend's mother and grandmother had an intervention with me and said that if I wanted to find a husband I should get a relaxer as soon as possible then start wearing make-up. :cwm10: Needless to say that didn't make my transitioning process any easier.

I really think that a large majority of men just do not understand the measures women go through to achieve a certain look with their hair...and i'm sorry to say that many men probably don't even care. They are visual creatures, so I you have a hairstyle that compliments your face and you exude confidence that's all that really matters. Even my own father (which i've lived with all my life) didn't even know the definition of me being natural! He just thought that I stopped blowdrying, flat ironing, rollersetting my hair.

I think the issue with men is not the texture, or style of the hair...it's the length. I met up with one of my male friends and I had 2strand twists in my hair, and the first thing he said was "Wow, your hair is growing! You should've always left it 'regular' (meaning natural, no relaxer) cuz it probably would've been down your back by now"

So women who claim to keep a relaxer just for black men is a load of bull...I seriously doubt that a large majority of black men are requesting that their s/o continually get relaxers or are only dating women with straight hair. It's the entire package they are looking at, not just your hair.
    Last Relaxer: March 26 2009
    Mini Chop: January 16 2010
    BC: April 4 2010
    Transitioned for 1yr 9days!
    Fotki: http://members.fotki.com/Nicky791/about/
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/Nicky791
  • murrrcatmurrrcat Registered Users Posts: 9,596
    I think its sad that the hair that grows out of your hair is such a big deal. AND what I mean by that is if you wear your hair naturally, its like "oooh girl you natural" like thats the new thing, it should be the default. Its not like I've dyed my skin blue my whole life, and now decided to wear my natural skin color, It sounds soooooo stupid. Like, when I hear someone comment on someone's hair(who happens to be natural) and they will say something like "oh she done went natural", *****, SHE SHOULD OF BEEN NATURAL what the hell, Society is so dumb. Even yesterday this WHITE girl, had her hair natural, and it was big and curly and some other white girl was like "ew she wears her hair so wild". oooo I wanna punch people so much.
    tumblr_mji9u1Fwza1rh1wv4o1_500.jpg
    Nicky791 wrote: »
    I'm not going to lie, when I first started transitioning to natural that was one of my concerns. I didn't think that MEN in general would be accepting of my hair, on top of my insecurities my best friend's mother and grandmother had an intervention with me and said that if I wanted to find a husband I should get a relaxer as soon as possible then start wearing make-up. :cwm10: Needless to say that didn't make my transitioning process any easier.

I really think that a large majority of men just do not understand the measures women go through to achieve a certain look with their hair...and i'm sorry to say that many men probably don't even care. They are visual creatures, so I you have a hairstyle that compliments your face and you exude confidence that's all that really matters. Even my own father (which i've lived with all my life) didn't even know the definition of me being natural! He just thought that I stopped blowdrying, flat ironing, rollersetting my hair.

I think the issue with men is not the texture, or style of the hair...it's the length. I met up with one of my male friends and I had 2strand twists in my hair, and the first thing he said was "Wow, your hair is growing! You should've always left it 'regular' (meaning natural, no relaxer) cuz it probably would've been down your back by now"

So women you claim to keep a relaxer just for black men is a load of bull...I seriously doubt that a large majority of black men are requesting that their s/o continually get relaxers or are only dating women with straight hair. It's the entire package they are looking at, not just your hair.

I agree with all of this, especially the bolded. When I first went natural all of the negative comments were in regards to my TWA or me cutting off all my hair, rather than the texture of my hair.
    YouTube
    Grand Duchess Fierce Freckles, Mistress of the Mighty Snap and Doyenne of the Potent Products Pavane in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
    lol @ turtles

I agree though, the cool thing is where I'm located there are sooo many natural women now..its a very cool thing to see. All of my aunts have stopped getting relaxers, my mom even has a TWA...its the cutest. Soon "the whole natural thing" lol...will not be a big deal...the more women embrace it, it'll start to become the norm and men will HAVE to accept it lol.
    i used to think the length thing was a real issue, but there is no doubt in my mind that if i were to cut my hair, i'd still be able to pull men. i really think its a confidence issue. if you walk around apologetic about your hair or its length, then people will treat you like you have something to apologize for.

look at amber rose--i've never heard a man say "yeah she's fine, but i'd only talk to her if she grew her hair out.." same with halle berry and countless other women rocking cute short cuts. to be honest, i don't even know many black women who naturally have hair that is APL or longer. and if they do, they're natural and you can't tell that its that long. i really don't even see too many women rocking weaves that are longer than APL where i live. so all those dudes who are desiring long hair are sitting alone at night because they aren't getting it here!
    subbrock wrote: »
    i used to think the length thing was a real issue, but there is no doubt in my mind that if i were to cut my hair, i'd still be able to pull men. i really think its a confidence issue. if you walk around apologetic about your hair or its length, then people will treat you like you have something to apologize for.

look at amber rose--i've never heard a man say "yeah she's fine, but i'd only talk to her if she grew her hair out.." same with halle berry and countless other women rocking cute short cuts. to be honest, i don't even know many black women who naturally have hair that is APL or longer. and if they do, they're natural and you can't tell that its that long. i really don't even see too many women rocking weaves that are longer than APL where i live. so all those dudes who are desiring long hair are sitting alone at night because they aren't getting it here!

For the most part, I agree with this, but there are some men who really have a problem with women with short hair - and by short I mean like a fade, not Halle Berry's length. They don't like it when they have more hair than a woman, or when you can see a woman's scalp. I have definitely heard men say "ew" to Amber Rose and say she needs to grow out her hair, or say they don't date bald chicks. Overall, I think that women won't have a problem pulling dudes period if they are confident, no matter what "imperfection" they have, but there will always be some men that it's a dealbreaker for.

You all should read these interviews from men. It's not that they are opposed to natural hair, but they seem to have the good hair/bad hair mentality and have no problem telling a girlfriend they have issue with her texture.

http://www.confessionsofablogvixen.com/2010/09/his-confessions-nafiys.html

And I thought this statement was a little off (from this interview: http://www.confessionsofablogvixen.com/2010/09/his-confessions-cendino.html)...

"I can tell different textures of hair. I don't think the texture would matter because there are a lot of products on the market that can help with that."
    YouTube
    ellepixie wrote: »

For the most part, I agree with this, but there are some men who really have a problem with women with short hair - and by short I mean like a fade, not Halle Berry's length. They don't like it when they have more hair than a woman, or when you can see a woman's scalp. Overall, I think that women won't have a problem pulling dudes period if they are confident, no matter what "imperfection" they have, but there will always be some men that it's a dealbreaker for. I have definitely heard men say "ew" to Amber Rose and say she needs to grow out her hair, or say they don't date bald chicks.

You all should read these interviews from men. It's not that they are opposed to natural hair, but they seem to have the good hair/bad hair mentality and have no problem telling a girlfriend they have issue with her texture.

http://www.confessionsofablogvixen.com/2010/09/his-confessions-nafiys.html

And I thought this statement was a little off (from this interview: http://www.confessionsofablogvixen.com/2010/09/his-confessions-cendino.html)...

"I can tell different textures of hair. I don't think the texture would matter because there are a lot of products on the market that can help with that."

Wow, I'm with Subbrock on this one. I've never heard one man say anything negative about Amber's hair...hmm, this is interesting.

About those articles...I wish my peasey headed boyfriend would fix his lips to comment on my kinkss...chiiillleeee.
    well there are definitely some men who have arbitrary physical preferences that they stick to, just like there are some women who do the same. but i don't think those are the vast majority. and i also think people say that they are/are not attracted to something but when it all boils down to it, they don't care.

like i might sit around all day and say that i want a man who is in good physical shape and comment at how much weight so and so has gained or how big there belly is, but when its all said and done i can't say i've ever dated a man who had abs like the situation. basically, i think a lot of it is all talk. in our minds we have our specific ideal, but when reality sets in our range of preference is really pretty wide.

Wow, I'm with Subbrock on this one. I've never heard one man say anything negative about Amber's hair...hmm, this is interesting.

About those articles...I wish my peasey headed boyfriend would fix his lips to comment on my kinkss...chiiillleeee.

LOL

seriously, if amber rose came up to a man whose only issue with her was her hair length, i'm quite sure they'd find a way to get over it quickly.
    LOL at peasey headed boyfriend...

Maybe it's just the dudes I know, I personally love Amber, but every time she was on the blogs or TV my ex would be like, "Blech, I can't stand bald chicks" and his best friend couldn't stand her either. When I showed him pictures of my TWA - my hair isn't long now but it's much longer than it was - he would scrunch up his face and say, "Yea...I'm really glad your hair grew."
    YouTube
    well there are definitely some men who have arbitrary physical preferences that they stick to, just like there are some women who do the same. but i don't think those are the vast majority. and i also think people say that they are/are not attracted to something but when it all boils down to it, they don't care.

like i might sit around all day and say that i want a man who is in good physical shape and comment at how much weight so and so has gained or how big there belly is, but when its all said and done i can't say i've ever dated a man who had abs like the situation. basically, i think a lot of it is all talk. in our minds we have our specific ideal, but when reality sets in our range of preference is really pretty wide.

I agree, but when it's an extreme - like a woman rocking a fade - some people do think that's "too far." To compare with your weight example, like, I would date a man who didn't have abs like The Situation and was even a little chubby, but I wouldn't date an obese man.

Is it the vast majority? Probably not. But I do think there is more negativity geared towards women BC'ing and having very short hair rather than the actual texture of natural hair. Doesn't mean she can't find a date - I think all women are capable of finding dates, hence why the OP about women saying they won't go natural b/c men won't date them is silly and it's obviously more of their issue than the man's.
    YouTube
    LOL at peasey headed boyfriend...

Maybe it's just the dudes I know, I personally love Amber, but every time she was on the blogs or TV my ex would be like, "Blech, I can't stand bald chicks" and his best friend couldn't stand her either. When I showed him pictures of my TWA - my hair isn't long now but it's much longer than it was - he would scrunch up his face and say, "Yea...I'm really glad your hair grew."

no it's not just the dudes you know. i just think people are all talk. when i went natural the (black) guy i was dating flat out told me her preferred black women with long straight hair and he wasn't feeling my new twa. but that didn't change our relationship. we still stayed together until i broke up with him for unrelated reasons a year later. and to this very day, everytime i see him, he's still trying to get back with me. my hair hasn't gotten any straighter since then and it still shrinks up to above shoulder length.

I agree, but when it's an extreme - like a woman rocking a fade - some people do think that's "too far." To compare with your weight example, like, I would date a man who didn't have abs like The Situation and was even a little chubby, but I wouldn't date an obese man.

Is it the vast majority? Probably not. But I do think there is more negativity geared towards women BC'ing and having very short hair rather than the actual texture of natural hair. Doesn't mean she can't find a date - I think all women are capable of finding dates, hence why the OP about women saying they won't go natural b/c men won't date them is silly and it's obviously more of their issue than the man's.

okay i think we're saying the same thing now. LOL

and this is just my personal philosophy-- there will always be negativity geared toward you so who gives a ****? and i've always been surprised at the people who are like "wow, you're right" when i tell them that. folks won't like your hair, your face, your shoes, your lotion, your toilet paper...there is always something somebody is not going to be feeling about you.

okay i think we're saying the same thing now. LOL

and this is just my personal philosophy-- there will always be negativity geared toward you so who gives a ****? and i've always been surprised at the people who are like "wow, you're right" when i tell them that. folks won't like your hair, your face, your shoes, your lotion, your toilet paper...there is always something somebody is not going to be feeling about you.

LOL yea sorry if I wasn't coming across correctly - it's only 8:30 here cut me some slack! I was just agreeing with Nicky in the sense that if women claimed they didn't want to go natural b/c they didn't want a TWA I would find that more valid than them talking about their "nappy" hair. However, men will ALWAYS try to holler whether your hair is short, nappy, blue (speaking from personal experience as a person who had blue hair), silver, whatever...so all of it is really an excuse because it's not something they themselves are comfortable with.
    YouTube
  • *Marah**Marah* Registered Users Posts: 8,032 Curl Neophyte
    I honestly don't think it's a excuse. I think a lot of black women feel it's a legitmate reason not to go natural. The truth is most women that are heterosexual want men to be attracted to them. And if they know the majority of men in their particular racial group whether they be black, white, latin, or anything else have certain preferences..then they are more apt to make efforts to attract those men.

Among American black men most of them prefer black women to have straightened hair. Now, as a caveat black women with "good hair" seem to get a pass. And let's not front..we all know I mean a looser curl pattern..and lawd don't let her hair be silky and long. Then all rules are out the darn window.

So I can't say as far as black American women are concerned they are using black American men as an excuse not to go natural. I think it's a genuine concern and I mean let's face it.. most single women (just like single men) want to be found attractive to the opposite sex. I mean it is what it is...Plus a lot of women define how attractive they feel about themselves according to how attractive the opposite sex seems to view them. And well hair is a big part of that..especially with American blacks.

On the flip side though in the USA.. you have many black women that will keep their hair straightened to attract black men but could give less than a darn about what black men feel about a certain hairstyle they may don. For instance, many black men seem to say they hate those hardened styles that some black women get because they can't touch it, and it doesn't move (lol..frankly I can't blame them)...and well many black women often ignore that and keep on going to the salon getting their super stiff bond weave with waterfall curls and fingerwaves..ROFL!
    tumblr_m9jonzYZmu1re7hjjo1_250.jpg
    have there been in any scientific studies done on what kind of hair black men prefer? If not then how can anybody state that they prefer one type of hair or another?

AND...

why does it matter what BLACK men prefer? If the desire to be in a meaningful relationship is genuine then race shouldn't matter. I know some say that they are only attracted to black men which I find amusing. Why be so loyal to men who you claim don't find your natural features attractive?
    4a/b cottony/spongy

have there been in any scientific studies done on what kind of hair black men prefer? If not then how can anybody state that they prefer one type of hair or another?

AND...

why does it matter what BLACK men prefer? If the desire to be in a meaningful relationship is genuine then race shouldn't matter. I know some say that they are only attracted to black men which I find amusing. Why be so loyal to men who you claim don't find your natural features attractive?

aaww, sh*t now!!! lol

:happy1::hiding:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file