automaticflowersautomaticflowers Posts: 3,465Registered Users

Comments

• curlyarcacurlyarca Posts: 8,449Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I would at this point lie and tell her I'm staying while I secretly worked toward getting the hell out of there. But that's just me.

"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer."

4a, mbl, low porosity, normal thickness, fine hair.
  • RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Posts: 31,259Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    curlyarca wrote: »
    I would at this point lie and tell her I'm staying while I secretly worked toward getting the hell out of there. But that's just me.

Me too.
  • CurlyCanadianCurlyCanadian Posts: 10,904Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Connoisseur

Agree!

Probably not where you want to be long term, but there should be no issues finding retail or serving positions this time of year. Would atleast get you through the first few months and hours can usually be switched around pretty easily if you're interviewing for others.

Good Luck!
    I believe in manicures. I believe in overdressing. I believe in primping at leisure and wearing lipstick. I believe in pink. I believe that laughing is the best calorie burner. I believe in kissing, kissing a lot. I believe in being strong when everything seems to be going wrong. I believe that happy girls are the prettiest girls. I believe that tomorrow is another day and I believe in miracles.
    Audrey Hepburn
  • legendslegends Posts: 3,073Registered Users
    Yeah, I wouldn't even consider another option. Just lie.
    Eres o te haces?
  • MichelleBFTMichelleBFT Posts: 4,812Registered Users

Me too.

Yep.

Also, why do you feel any compulsion toward long notice and leaving on good terms from an employer that would boot you tomorrow if they could? That doesn't sound like the kind of employer I'd be super concerned about.
    "And politically correct is the worst term, not just because it’s dismissive, but because it narrows down the whole social justice spectrum to this idea that it’s about being polite instead of about dismantling the oppressive social structure of power.
    Fun Fact: When you actively avoid being “PC,” you’re not being forward-thinking or unique. You’re buying into systems of oppression that have existed since before you were even born, and you’re keeping those systems in place."
    Stolen.
  • duckyducky Posts: 927Registered Users
    I'm petty enough to say something like "Oh, the Denver thing might not work out" just to buy a little more time, and then only give a two weeks' notice once you know for sure.
    I would paint it on real thick: "It's a recession! I'm not going anywhere. Besides I love my job..." or something to that effect.

I would only give two weeks notice, too.

"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer."

Two weeks is enough notice for a mid-level job. Only BIG jobs require a month's notice.

Why do you have to live IN the town where you work? Was it required when you were hired?

I'd just tell them Denver didn't work out and you're not leaving...and then make plans to leave on your timetable not theirs.

Winter weather wouldn't stop me. Most major roads are cleared of snow quickly.
    Oh, if you have a banked vacation time, how can they get out of paying you the balance? That sucks...

• MichelleBFTMichelleBFT Posts: 4,812Registered Users
    Also, why do you feel any compulsion toward long notice and leaving on good terms from an employer that would boot you tomorrow if they could? That doesn't sound like the kind of employer I'd be super concerned about.

Honestly, I was hoping if I play nice it might sway them to reimburse me for unused vacation. I'm not thrilled with the idea of being so considerate to such a-holes, trust me. :lol:

Eh, they probably won't do that no matter how nice you are, if they're willing to put up an ad for an employee's job for no other reason than hearing a rumor that he may or may not stick it out through the season.

I say get away from these fools ASAP.
    "And politically correct is the worst term, not just because it’s dismissive, but because it narrows down the whole social justice spectrum to this idea that it’s about being polite instead of about dismantling the oppressive social structure of power.
    Fun Fact: When you actively avoid being “PC,” you’re not being forward-thinking or unique. You’re buying into systems of oppression that have existed since before you were even born, and you’re keeping those systems in place."
    Stolen.

Honestly, I was hoping if I play nice it might sway them to reimburse me for unused vacation. I'm not thrilled with the idea of being so considerate to such a-holes, trust me. :lol:

If I suspected an employer wasn't going to honor my banked vacation, I probably wouldn't give any notice. I'd take the vacation time when I was ready to leave and then call them at the end of the vacation and tell them I'm gone.
  • empressriempressri Posts: 4,812Registered Users
    lie, screw them. clearly they aren't bending over backwards to help you so why help them?

and for future reference never tell ANYONE your business. such includes moving, buying a new house/car, having a baby, looking for a new job, anything like that.
    Lady Hasytal in the Land of Product in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
    "Trust is knowing your SO would do the right thing in the face of strange vagina." Nej
    [/B]
  • quickcurlquickcurl Posts: 1,310Registered Users
    If they just up and fire you for no reason, you can file for unemployment. Granted that's not a lot of money but it's something.

Sorry I can't really offer any advice. I do agree with everyone else though. I wouldn't tell them I was leaving. I'd go so far as to tell them that the Denver thing isn't happening and that I was looking into moving closer to work (I don't get why you have to live in the same town unless you're doing something that's town-based like being an EMT or Firefighter). When the time comes to give your notice, I'd tell them that things changed and that's the only info I'd give them.

Good luck!!! I hope everything works out in your favor.
    "It's hard to remember a time, when I didn't have you", Richie Sambora
    "Boys are bad and men are stupid", WB's
    "After a while, you just want to be with the one that makes you laugh" Mr. Big
  • CynaminbearCynaminbear Posts: 4,476Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I'd lie, too. No, no plans to move to CO, looking to move back into town but that darn lease we signed! yada, yada. If they fire you, file for unemployment.
    There's no such thing as global warming. Chuck Norris was cold so he turned up the sun.
  • The New BlackThe New Black Posts: 16,754Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    legends wrote: »
    Yeah, I wouldn't even consider another option. Just lie.
    lol...But oh dear I might do the same.
    empressri wrote: »
    and for future reference never tell ANYONE your business. such includes moving, buying a new house/car, having a baby, looking for a new job, anything like that.

I know. That was our dumb mistake to trust someone to keep their mouth shut. :lol: It was a casual, "Oh, we're looking into someday moving there" mention. We did ask him not to say anything to anyone, but... yeah, that just goes back to us being dummies.

We told our boss that no details or plans for moving had been set, which is true. They didn't bother to talk to us about it when they heard the rumor, just went ahead with placing help wanted ads. :angry2:
    What butts!! There should be some way of getting retribution from the tattletale. And your boss is a jerk.
    I'd lie, too. No, no plans to move to CO, looking to move back into town but that darn lease we signed! yada, yada. If they fire you, file for unemployment.
    Yep.
    montage-3.gif No MAS.

I am the new Black.

"Hope the Mail are saving space tomorrow for Samantha Brick's reaction piece on the reactions to her piece about the reactions to her piece." ~ Tweet reposted by Rou.
  • anonymous_29030anonymous_29030 Posts: 619Registered Users
    I agree with everyone else. In such a situation, a bad faith employer does not deserve good faith action from an employee.

Tell them you're staying and diplomatically organize to collect or use up your vacation entitlement while preparing yourself to move. Then when you're in the best possible position move asap.

Sell your things on Ebay to raise money etc, be vigilant re employer's maneuvers, and be ready to move at any time.

Good luck!
  • SparklyCurlsSparklyCurls Posts: 163Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    This is a tough position to be in but bottom line is to do what’s best for you and if that means lying or sticking it out as long as you can – then that may be what you need to do.

In regards to unemployment benefits - since the drop in economy the unemployment guidelines have been updated so, there are a lot of new rules implemented and unless you fall into the new guidelines you may be left without – even if you are fired.

I suggest to step up the Denver process as you may just get lucky enough to make the move before all things come to an end.

And good luck!

• JosephineJosephine Posts: 14,408Registered Users Curl Connoisseur

Same here. I've also never worked anywhere where 2 weeks notice is not acceptable.
  • NalliaNallia Posts: 2,979Registered Users
    Everyone else already said what I was going to about your job, so I'll just add this:

While major streets and highways are cleared out here as quickly as possible while/after it snows, the Interstates can and do end up closed for days because of a big storm, high winds, avalanche warnings, or accidents in the winter--especially I-70 and I-76.

We usually get our first snow sometime in late October, but the weather doesn't usually get bad enough to worry about until late November/early December. It's often worse in January, February, and March (which is said to be CO's snowiest month of the year). Most of the problems on the highways occur at higher elevations (in the mountains) or east along the plains, near the Kansas and Nebraska borders. The winds along the plains can be dangerous.

If you do drive here in the winter, make sure you have an emergency kit in your car (blankets, flashlights, extra charged mobile phone battery, food, gas, flares, etc.), and be prepared to have to pull over for whiteout conditions or in case the highway is closed for any reason. The chances of dealing with something like this aren't usually that high, but it happens some years.
    "...just because you're paranoid doesn't mean that there isn't an invisible demon about to eat your face." ~Harry Dresden

a33304d72319c25b3ad2d4d075ab3bc0.jpg
  • rileybrileyb Posts: 1,975Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Thanks, everyone. I talked to A about your suggestions to lie, but he isn't sure they'd buy it at this point. Everybody knows there's too much to fix, and even if we wanted to stay our days are numbered. We're still talking about it.

There was a surprise meeting on Tuesday with the manager and program director, where they basically said they didn't know any details about our moving, but in any case they can't have us living 20 minutes away and they're going to recruit for our positions. And they think we hate working there. (For my part I don't hate my job, and I said that, but the boss' eyes just glazed over like they do when she's waiting for her turn to talk again.)

I just don't understand this at all - it can't be legal to dictate where you can live or fire you for not living in the same town as your job (unless it was some kind of government position). What difference does it make where you live? Are you ever on call and have to be there with minimal notice?
    I haven't got the slightest idea how to change people, but I still keep a long list of prospective candidates just in case I should ever figure it out.
  • NalliaNallia Posts: 2,979Registered Users
    20 minutes? Seriously? It takes me 20 minutes to get to places within my own zip code! How ridiculous. I assumed you actually lived far away.

Unfortunately, while I don't think it's a legal reason to fire someone, it's probably very hard to prove. And if you live in an at-will state (I can't remember) they can let you both go for no reason at all.

I'm sorry you have to deal with this stress. I know it's hard, and really scary, but you might just be better off leaving as soon as possible. If you can find places that are willing to interview you over the phone, that would be great, but many companies won't deal with you until you live nearby. There are a lot of retail establishments and other places that will be looking for seasonal employees soon. Finding seasonal work would at least give you the time to find something you really want.
    "...just because you're paranoid doesn't mean that there isn't an invisible demon about to eat your face." ~Harry Dresden

a33304d72319c25b3ad2d4d075ab3bc0.jpg
  • wild~hairwild~hair Posts: 9,890Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I believe utopia and A are in the news business, so their home’s location relative to the area being covered is relevant, since if there is breaking news they might need to be there quickly.

That said, I think this totally blows and there is a lot about this situation that I find morally suspect, on the employer’s part.
  • rileybrileyb Posts: 1,975Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    We used to live a block away from the office. If there was an emergency, everybody called us and we walked over to take care of it. They got really used to us being there and liked not having to take care of things themselves. Plus, the program director moved three hours away, so that put a bigger strain on the remaining staff who are either lazy or clueless about how to run things. Nobody wants to give up their free time to go into work if the sh*t hits the fan, so they were pissed when we moved.

I'm always on call because of the nature of my job. But there are two other people in the news department: Dick and the new guy. They can easily cover for me in the 20 minutes it takes for me to get there.

Ugh, that is really ridiculous - you might want to look into any free employment legal services offered in your state. If they do fire you maybe they can help you get unemployment. Best of luck to you both.
    I haven't got the slightest idea how to change people, but I still keep a long list of prospective candidates just in case I should ever figure it out.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file