Fund Raising Advice

quickcurlquickcurl Posts: 1,310Registered Users
I recently formed a team for a walk that is being sponsored by the American Diabetes Association. I'm walking in honor of my dad, who's had the disease ever since I was a kid and was recently placed on dialysis due to complications from the diabetes (he also needs heart surgery...but that's a whole other story).

Any way, I've never done something like this before where I need to raise money for a cause and I'm kind of at a loss as to where to start. I'm hoping that someone here has some experience with this and can give me some advice on where to start and what I can do to raise as much money as possible for this great cause. I've already posted something on Facebook and I've emailed my friends outside of Facebook...not sure what other steps I should take...

Thanks so much for your help!!!
"It's hard to remember a time, when I didn't have you", Richie Sambora
"Boys are bad and men are stupid", WB's
"After a while, you just want to be with the one that makes you laugh" Mr. Big

Comments

• curlypearlcurlypearl Posts: 12,227Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    QCurl, can you let us know when a walk for diabetes is scheduled in NYC? I'd be happy to walk in support of your dad if you let us know when/where/how.
    2/c Coarse hair med. density.
    Highly porous. Color over grey.
    I love all the Curl Junkie products. Still experimenting with gels and curl creams. Still hoping for 2nd day hair....
    Every day is a gift :flower:
  • CurlyCanadianCurlyCanadian Posts: 10,904Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Connoisseur
    Are you looking to raise money for your walk, or in other ways?
    I believe in manicures. I believe in overdressing. I believe in primping at leisure and wearing lipstick. I believe in pink. I believe that laughing is the best calorie burner. I believe in kissing, kissing a lot. I believe in being strong when everything seems to be going wrong. I believe that happy girls are the prettiest girls. I believe that tomorrow is another day and I believe in miracles.
    Audrey Hepburn
  • quickcurlquickcurl Posts: 1,310Registered Users
    Oh my gosh....ABSOLUTELY!!

The walk is actually in Princeton, NJ on October 24th (which is a Sunday).

Here's a link to my fund raising site, where all of the info about the walk should be accessible -

http://main.diabetes.org/site/TR/StepOut/NorthernNewJerseyArea?px=6230885&pg=personal&fr_id=7226
    Bumping in hopes of getting some advice and/or some interest in joining my team or donating! 8-)
  • spiderlashes5000spiderlashes5000 Posts: 17,898Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    Can you enlist the help of a local restaurant? I know a few chains do this kind of thing. They donate a dollar or two from each meal purchased by patrons who say they are participating in this particular campaign. It's good publicity for the restaurant. Or maybe the restuarant or other business could sponsor you if you wear their t-shirt and name them as your sponsor during any media activity.

I guess it depends on how big or small your town/neighborhood/school whatever is.

But best wishes to your dad! Kudos to you.

• Scuba GalScuba Gal Posts: 383Registered Users
    I just did the 3 Day Susan G Komen walk (this past august) and had to raise a minimum of 2300.00 to even show up. It is a very intimidating amount to raise and I think it deters people from doing the walk. Well, that and the fact that you have to walk for 3 FREAKING DAY 20+ miles. ;)

one thing I used was Facebook. I also used the tools the 3 Day Site provided and customized a very personal email that detailed out why I was walking, etc... using Facebook I had the widget installed on my page and also kept my training updated that way as well. I used my Nike-iPod thing to track my training walks and it auto-uploads to FB, so it was another great "reminder" to people that I was walking, taking it serious, and hey.. I just walked 14 miles today in 90 degree heat, give me 20.00 already! :)

Network, Network, Network. Ask everyone you know for money. Just do it :)

A lot of restaurants will work out a party package if you ask, maybe have a big party with food and open bar for X hours, charge every 25.00 to get in, then the restaurant will donate Y % to you.

Other things I did:

I had a Stella&Dot trunk show (jewelry)- my friend sells it and donated all the proceeds to the walk (it was bout 250.00)- I combined it with a Pampered Chef party (since another friend wanted some PC stuff) and it got more people there to shop...

Check with people donating to see if their company matches donations. A lot of companies will match the donation if the person just submits a form. So make sure you ask anyone who donates to check with their company...

Ask friends for things to donate- One friend donated two Cub Tickets from their season tickets. So I "auctioned" off two Sunday tickets for a donation.

Sell your stuff! I am part of a local online Chicago mom's board and I sold my stuff for a donation. Books, Baby Clothes, Baby Gear, Household stuff, old designer suits I don't wear anymore,.... I had a huge online virtual garage sale.

One friend who is a photographer offered to spend a day doing portrait work- she charges 200.00 for photography sessions, and offered to donate anyone she could book that day the profit (100.00 per session). The other 100.00 covered her costs (venue, prints, photo book she makes, etc) but she donated over 500.00 to me from one afternoon of work- so again, NETWORK!!!

If Michelle & Gretchen don't mind you putting a link in your sig here, put it- remind people why you are doing it and ask.

ASK FOR MONEY... there is no shame. For reals.

PS- I may have some more ideas, but I have to go pick up the kidlets. I will think some more...
    First off - OH MY GOSH thank you so much for all of these ideas! I haven't put up the tools that the Association has available for fundraising on FB yet, but I'm going to do that tonight.

I'd like to raise money for my team, since I'm doing it for my dad, but I really just want to raise money for the Association in general....it's a cause that has become more important to me because of what's going on with him, but I know a number of people that are affected by diabetes so I want to do it for everyone I know, too.

I've always wanted to do the Komen Walk but I know that I can't walk for 3 days. I have a really bad knee and I think my knee cap would pop right out of my body if I tried to walk that far. :lol: Kudos to you for doing it and for doing SO much for such a great cause!!

Scuba Gal wrote: »
    I just did the 3 Day Susan G Komen walk (this past august) and had to raise a minimum of 2300.00 to even show up. It is a very intimidating amount to raise and I think it deters people from doing the walk. Well, that and the fact that you have to walk for 3 FREAKING DAY 20+ miles. ;)

one thing I used was Facebook. I also used the tools the 3 Day Site provided and customized a very personal email that detailed out why I was walking, etc... using Facebook I had the widget installed on my page and also kept my training updated that way as well. I used my Nike-iPod thing to track my training walks and it auto-uploads to FB, so it was another great "reminder" to people that I was walking, taking it serious, and hey.. I just walked 14 miles today in 90 degree heat, give me 20.00 already! :)

Network, Network, Network. Ask everyone you know for money. Just do it :)

A lot of restaurants will work out a party package if you ask, maybe have a big party with food and open bar for X hours, charge every 25.00 to get in, then the restaurant will donate Y % to you.

Other things I did:

I had a Stella&Dot trunk show (jewelry)- my friend sells it and donated all the proceeds to the walk (it was bout 250.00)- I combined it with a Pampered Chef party (since another friend wanted some PC stuff) and it got more people there to shop...

Check with people donating to see if their company matches donations. A lot of companies will match the donation if the person just submits a form. So make sure you ask anyone who donates to check with their company...

Ask friends for things to donate- One friend donated two Cub Tickets from their season tickets. So I "auctioned" off two Sunday tickets for a donation.

Sell your stuff! I am part of a local online Chicago mom's board and I sold my stuff for a donation. Books, Baby Clothes, Baby Gear, Household stuff, old designer suits I don't wear anymore,.... I had a huge online virtual garage sale.

One friend who is a photographer offered to spend a day doing portrait work- she charges 200.00 for photography sessions, and offered to donate anyone she could book that day the profit (100.00 per session). The other 100.00 covered her costs (venue, prints, photo book she makes, etc) but she donated over 500.00 to me from one afternoon of work- so again, NETWORK!!!

If Michelle & Gretchen don't mind you putting a link in your sig here, put it- remind people why you are doing it and ask.

ASK FOR MONEY... there is no shame. For reals.

PS- I may have some more ideas, but I have to go pick up the kidlets. I will think some more...
    I haven't heard of a restaurant doing that...I will definitely look into that this weekend.

My parents frequent a Starbucks by their house and I was planning to go there, as well as the Dunkin I go to three or four times a week, and the sushi place my sister goes to all the time.

Oh!!! I just remembered that I have a friend who waits tables at a local deli! OH I will have to tap him for some help.

Thanks for the ideas! Keep 'em coming!
    Can you enlist the help of a local restaurant? I know a few chains do this kind of thing. They donate a dollar or two from each meal purchased by patrons who say they are participating in this particular campaign. It's good publicity for the restaurant. Or maybe the restuarant or other business could sponsor you if you wear their t-shirt and name them as your sponsor during any media activity.

I guess it depends on how big or small your town/neighborhood/school whatever is.

But best wishes to your dad! Kudos to you.
  • Scuba GalScuba Gal Posts: 383Registered Users
    One thing I did for everyone who donated, I asked them to let me know if they were donating in honor of anybody and I would like to add their name to a shirt my friend and I had made. People were really touched by us adding their loved one to our "We are walking for" list!

So many people have been affected by breast cancer, just like I bet have been affected by your cause. So I think you can do something like that, so people feel a bit more tied to your effort.

The shirts were literally like 8.00 a piece or something crazy on cafepress.com

I made the design for free online, then just saved it as a PDF to have printed on the shirt:

finaltee.jpg
    Scuba Gal wrote: »
    One thing I did for everyone who donated, I asked them to let me know if they were donating in honor of anybody and I would like to add their name to a shirt my friend and I had made. People were really touched by us adding their loved one to our "We are walking for" list!

So many people have been affected by breast cancer, just like I bet have been affected by your cause. So I think you can do something like that, so people feel a bit more tied to your effort.

The shirts were literally like 8.00 a piece or something crazy on cafepress.com

I made the design for free online, then just saved it as a PDF to have printed on the shirt:

finaltee.jpg

I was just going to email my friend who is walking with me for her dad, who passed away this summer from complications of diabetes, to see if she wanted to do signs or something with their names on it. I love the tshirt idea! MUCH better than signs!

I'm also going to contact the Knights of Columbus chapter at my parents' old church. They belonged to the parish for over 30 years, and my dad was a founding member of the chapter so I bet they'd be interested in doing something to raise money and maybe even walk with me.
  • WileE-DeadWileE-Dead Banned Posts: 24,963Banned Users Curl Neophyte
    Love the shirt idea!
    cafepress rocks...I've gotten several shirts from them :bounce:
    0004.gif

Ever since the sports thread wars I have sensed a special connection between [edit] & Wile. Like the connection oil has to water. I almost can't speak of it. Wait....my eyes are misting. ~asq
    Let’s just stay together and tell the world to kiss our ass. ~P

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file