NC.Com email re "curly stylists" made me shake my head and snort

MirCurlsMirCurls Posts: 2,660Registered Users Curl Neophyte
Okay, so I got a nice color email (kinda like an ad) about curly stylists in my area. (Nope. It's more like an area 4 to 5 hours away North of me.)

Anyway, all three of the featured stylists have straight blown-out or flat-ironed hair.

Is it really that nuts to want a curly stylist with curly hair??? Hmmm??? :)

Now that I look back on it, the stylist I had for 22 years until Feb of this year has hair almost exactly like mine (fine, curly, dark, thinning). The one I have now has curly hair, though I haven't examined her texture or anything. But it's likely similar to mine.
3a3b
Natural since 11/25/09
Then: fine, superdry, non-elastic, porous
Now: medium, dry, elastic, lower porosity, BSL

Curl Junkie Conditions!
Eden BW Cleansing Condish Rocks!

~CJ Protein Tx
; BEE-U-Ti-Ful Deep Condish
~SMasters Method; Pixie-curling
Dumped clumps for VOLUME!

Marchioness Mir, Magister of Moisturization & Mystic of the Lofty Crown in the Order of the Curly Crusaders

Comments

• VeronicaLynnVeronicaLynn Posts: 2Registered Users
    Ha! Funny! I got the same email with the same 3 girls and thought the same thing! Guess I'm not the only one...and neither are you! ;)
  • SpiralliSpiralli Posts: 3,684Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Funny you should mention that! My relatively new (to me) curly stylist has like 3c curls, and he wears it long and loose (past shoulder length). Yes, I do think it's very cool when they "walk the talk". :)
    Type: 3b/3c (i), below shoulder length.
    CO wash: A-O GPB LYY, Desert Essence Coconut, Oribe Silverati
    Leave-ins: Curl Junkie Beauti-Curls, KCKT, cno overnight
    Styling: BRHG, MGA Sculpting Gel, A-O Mandarin Magic Gel, LOTD AVG, LALSG, CJ Pattern Pusha
    DT: Curl Junkie Deep Fix, Briogeo Don't Despair Repair!
  • MimsTXMimsTX Posts: 3,482Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I'm not opposed to a stylist having straight hair... one of the best experiences I've ever had was with a guy who did dry, curly cuts... he was Asian with stick straight hair that was cut short *shrug*

I do think having one that "walks the walk" could be a good indication of how well they treat curly hair, but it's not necessarily the only way to tell.

Now, if you have a "curly" stylist who's flat ironing their hair every day, run. Far away. lol
    CG/Mod CG (soap bars) since 8/12/08
    CO wash/Cond: Kathymack & Flowermoon Castille soap bars, V05 Chamomile Tea, Suave Ocean Breeze, Biolage Conditioning Balm
    Styling loves: DIFFUSING! CK, KCNT, KCCC, FOTE (on dry hair only), Re:coil, Proclaim gel
    Not sure about: Boots, Tweek, KBB Milk, DMHJ
    HATE: plopping, FOTE on wet hair, BRHG
  • redcelticcurlsredcelticcurls Posts: 17,502Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I think it's worse that this site has so many of those stupid keratin ads with the 'after' models wearing straight hair. That's the las thing I want to see on a site that is supposed to be about supporting curly hair.
    Kiva! Microfinance works.

Med/Coarse, porous curly.
  • FairlyCurlyFairlyCurly Posts: 839Registered Users
    I think it's worse that this site has so many of those stupid keratin ads with the 'after' models wearing straight hair. That's the las thing I want to see on a site that is supposed to be about supporting curly hair.

I find that odd too, but I guess they're trying to appeal to all tastes and all desires. Most of the ads on this site feature women with really curly or kinky hair, but there is the odd "straighten your hair" ad for curlies who are looking for that.

....And advertising dollars have something to do with the ads too.
    3a/3b, Fine, low porosity.
  • redcelticcurlsredcelticcurls Posts: 17,502Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Fairewood wrote: »

I find that odd too, but I guess they're trying to appeal to all tastes and all desires. Most of the ads on this site feature women with really curly or kinky hair, but there is the odd "straighten your hair" ad for curlies who are looking for that.

True, but, hair straightening is pretty mainstream. No need to come to a niche site like this to learn about it. I just think it sends a bad message. Accept your curls, but hey, you can always 'fix' them too.

It doesn't help that I am getting the Texeria ad an about every other page.
    Kiva! Microfinance works.

Med/Coarse, porous curly.
  • FairlyCurlyFairlyCurly Posts: 839Registered Users
    Fairewood wrote: »

True, but, hair straightening is pretty mainstream. No need to come to a niche site like this to learn about it. I just think it sends a bad message. Accept your curls, but hey, you can always 'fix' them too.

It doesn't help that I am getting the Texeria ad an about every other page.

I know it sends a conflicting message, but I guess it tells curlies that, ultimately, they have the freedom to do what they want and it informs them about how to do it. Personally, I would prefer that all curlies embrace their curls, but it's a personal choice.
    3a/3b, Fine, low porosity.
  • wild~hairwild~hair Posts: 9,890Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    The owners of this site are probably looking at each page and saying, "Well, if there's a BKT ad that takes up 10% of the page but the rest of the page is about curly hair and the BKT ad's paying for all that, then we're not doing too bad."
  • MirCurlsMirCurls Posts: 2,660Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I don't mind a stylist having straight hair. If they're GOOD, they're good. But an Asian hair stylist also likely is embracing his natural texture. :) I mean, most Asian dudes I've known had straight hair naturally.

I just drifted by luck to two stylists with similar hair. :) They understand the "issues" of frizz, dryness, etc and know how to style the curls (unlike some here who have posted pics of stylists who cut well, but can't style curls at all.)

I don't see the ads. I use Firefox with AdBlock. No ads.

I was surprised when I tried Chrome (not on this new laptop, on old fried one), and I could see all those ads on Curltalk.Never knew they were there. Chrome let in too much spyware/buggies. I stopped using it.

Since then, I stick to Firefox. No ads is a bonus.
    3a3b
    Natural since 11/25/09
    Then: fine, superdry, non-elastic, porous
    Now: medium, dry, elastic, lower porosity, BSL

Curl Junkie Conditions!
    Eden BW Cleansing Condish Rocks!

~CJ Protein Tx
    ; BEE-U-Ti-Ful Deep Condish
    ~SMasters Method; Pixie-curling
    Dumped clumps for VOLUME!

Marchioness Mir, Magister of Moisturization & Mystic of the Lofty Crown in the Order of the Curly Crusaders

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file