Tried the "No Product" Day Thing...Not Bad

MirCurlsMirCurls Posts: 2,660Registered Users Curl Neophyte
I went "natural" 10 months ago (Nov 09) and have not seen my hair sans styling product in I dunno how many years. Before going all curly, I would do either half curly with blown out crown/bangs (for decades), then a few years of all-blown-out hair (up until last Nov).

So, hubby was out of town. A tropical depression kept me indoors. Why not?

Last night, I washed, used Curl Rehab for rinse out (hair has needed more moisture after protein treatment), and used the CJ CALI (cause I'm too dry not to use LI).

No curl enhancer. No gel or mousse or anything.

My hair looked quite good. Less lift at crown cause there was no product to "stiffen" the roots of my ultra-fine hair (I swear, it seems finer everytime I feel it, hah).

The curl pattern was softer, "fuzzier", woolier, floatier. The volume was VERY nice and it looked longer, especially in the back where my lazy, less-curly layers had no product to support uplift. More frizz than usual but not a horrible amount. It was doable.

Overall, it looked fine (more casual and softer look) and felt great. I slept without a pineapple to test the endurance. Woke up with significantly more frizz than sans product. But wasn't as bad as I expected. :)

It's nice to have hair you can run fingers through. :D

Anyway, that was my no styling product day (which I'd wanted to do since the recent thread about defining no product, etc).

I would do it again easily when I don't have to face iffy weather. But I might cave and put a little mousse or something on the crown to lift it, then leave the rest alone. I guess that would be a "teeny weeny product day"?

Anyone else done a No Product day after the thread discussion? :)
3a3b
Natural since 11/25/09
Then: fine, superdry, non-elastic, porous
Now: medium, dry, elastic, lower porosity, BSL

Curl Junkie Conditions!
Eden BW Cleansing Condish Rocks!

~CJ Protein Tx
; BEE-U-Ti-Ful Deep Condish
~SMasters Method; Pixie-curling
Dumped clumps for VOLUME!

Marchioness Mir, Magister of Moisturization & Mystic of the Lofty Crown in the Order of the Curly Crusaders

Comments

• jerseygirl07067jerseygirl07067 Posts: 296Registered Users
    I've been doing this a lot this summer. Particularly because it's so darn hot, I wind up just wearing my hair in a ponytail or in a clip, so I figured why bother with products?

So yesterday I wanted to wear my hair with more defined curls. I used a curl enhancer and a gel and my hair felt soooo producty, since I've gotten so used to being productless over the summer. And I even used less than my usual amount.

So I think I am on a quest for a light leave in with just a tad of hold to keep things feeling soft and productless.

Hair Type - medium to fine texture, high porosity, lots of it, type 2b/3a
  • redcelticcurlsredcelticcurls Posts: 17,502Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Wait, did you go no product or no styler. I'm confused.

It says you used no product, but you used a leave-in?
    Kiva! Microfinance works.

Med/Coarse, porous curly.
  • MirCurlsMirCurls Posts: 2,660Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Yeah, no stylers. I mean, technically, no product would mean no poo and no condish at all, just water and hair, I guess. :)

But in the thread, lots of us considered washing and conditioning BASIC....and the other stuff the extras: enhancers, volumizers, serums, gels.

I did the wash and condish aspects, no stylers/enhancers/serums/etc.
    3a3b
    Natural since 11/25/09

Curl Junkie Conditions!

~CJ Protein Tx

Marchioness Mir, Magister of Moisturization & Mystic of the Lofty Crown in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
  • redcelticcurlsredcelticcurls Posts: 17,502Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I don't consider shampoo and rinseout as far as no product goes since that is maintenance and gets rinsed out.

I do consider leave-in as product since it gets left in and it performs a styling function.

We just don't have a site standard between no-product and no-styler. :lol:
    Kiva! Microfinance works.

Med/Coarse, porous curly.
  • jenny curljenny curl Posts: 1,814Registered Users
    Hey Mir, did you just put your LI in and let it completely air-dry? or did you :::dun dun dunnnn::: diffuse?
    3b/c :: Fine :: Porous

I:love5: My Hair
  • MirCurlsMirCurls Posts: 2,660Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    santini wrote: »
    Hey Mir, did you just put your LI in and let it completely air-dry? or did you :::dun dun dunnnn::: diffuse?

Partly diffuse. I don't like sleeping with wet hair.
    3a3b
    Natural since 11/25/09

Curl Junkie Conditions!

~CJ Protein Tx

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file