Student secretly taped having sex kills self

CurlyminxCurlyminx Posts: 5,581Registered Users
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/39419543/ns/us_news-crime_and_courts/
NEW BRUNSWICK, N.J. — A Rutgers University student whose sexual encounters were allegedly secretly taped by two other students and broadcast live on the Internet is believed to have committed suicide, according to authorities and media reports.
The Rutgers freshman, Tyler Clementi, jumped off the George Washington Bridge last Thursday, the Clementi family's attorney Paul Mainardi confirmed on Wednesday. The victim's car was found nearby with both his cell phone and computer inside, according to WPIX and the Star-Ledger. A body has not been recovered, Mainardi said.
"Tyler was a fine young man, and a distinguished musician," Mainardi said. "The family is heartbroken beyond words."
Two fellow Rutgers freshmen, Dharun Ravi, of Plainsboro, and Molly W. Wei, of Princeton, both 18, have been charged with two counts each of invasion of privacy. According to the Middlesex County prosecutor's office, they secretly placed a camera in the victim's dorm room in Piscataway "to view and transmit a live image" of the student having sex on Sept. 19.
Ravi also is charged with two counts of invasion of privacy for attempting to use the camera to view and transmit another encounter involving the student two days later.
Mainardi told the Star-Ledger that Ravi and the victim were roommates at Rutgers. "The family and their representatives are cooperating fully with the ongoing criminal investigations of two Rutgers University students," he said in a statement. "They will have no further comment at this time."
Wei was released on her own recognizance after surrendering to Rutgers police in New Brunswick on Monday, according to the prosecutor's office. Ravi surrendered to Rutgers police on Tuesday and was released on $25,000 bail.
Under New Jersey’s invasion-of-privacy statutes, it is a fourth-degree crime to collect or view images depicting nudity or sexual contact involving another individual without that person’s consent, and it is a third-degree crime to transmit or distribute such images. The penalty for conviction of a third-degree offense can include a prison term of up to five years.
Ravi and Wei, who according to the Star-Ledger were high school classmates before enrolling at Rutgers this fall, could not be located for comment Wednesday by msnbc.com. Ravi and Wei did not respond to e-mail requests for comment Tuesday from the Star-Ledger.
Steve Altman, Ravi’s attorney, told msnbc.com: "I understand the investigation is continuing because of the missing status of the alleged victim. That being so, I would not be doing the ethical thing to make any comment at the present time."
It was not immediately known if Wei had an attorney.
“The university takes these matters seriously and has policies to deal with student behavior," Rutgers spokeswoman Sandra Lanman said. "Under federal law, the university cannot comment on specifics involving student conduct.”
Lanman and the Middlesex County prosecutor's office told msnbc.com they had no information on the reported suicide.
"Our case is limited to the charging of two Rutgers students in the invasion of privacy case," said Jim O’Neill, a spokesman for the prosecutor’s office. "I don’t know anything about suicide and that’s not part of the case we’re handling."
O'Neil said the investigation is continuing and he didn’t know whether additional charges would be considered.
The investigation began after Rutgers police learned that a camera had been placed in the 18-year-old student’s dorm room without permission, Prosecutor Bruce Kaplan and Rutgers University Police Chief Rhonda Harris said in a news release.
The Middlesex County prosecutor's office wouldn't provide details of the alleged sexual encounters, including how and where they were broadcast.
Ravi wrote Sept. 19 on what is believed to his Twitter page, which has since been deleted: "Roommate asked for the room till midnight. I went into molly's room and turned on my webcam. I saw him making out with a dude. Yay."
Two days later, Ravi apparently posted another entry referring to iChat, an internet messaging service with a live video feed.
"Anyone with iChat, I dare you to video chat me between the hours of 9:30 and 12. Yes it's happening again," Ravi wrote in the Sept. 21 post, according to a Web-cached version of his Twitter feed.

Ugh. I can't believe people. How can this guy and girl have done this to someone?!?!?! Did they think that it was cool and who cares what happens after? Well, the guy commited suicide... I hope that the fun they got out of broadcasting this guys personal life was worth his life.

What someone does in the privacy of their bedroom is NOT open to the world because you are a nosey ****.

Disgusting!

:cwm21: :banghead: :cwm21:
tumblr_mk2chrdnQe1qzwi58o1_500.gif
Mix of 3s, thick, coarse, medium porosity

Current hair styling technique: rake with a scrunch at the end. (works with my coarse hair)

http://public.fotki.com/curlymix/
pw: curls

Known HGs: KCCC, homemade fsg, honey

Comments

• WileE-DeadWileE-Dead Banned Posts: 24,963Banned Users Curl Neophyte
    wow :sad11:
    0004.gif

Ever since the sports thread wars I have sensed a special connection between [edit] & Wile. Like the connection oil has to water. I almost can't speak of it. Wait....my eyes are misting. ~asq
    Let’s just stay together and tell the world to kiss our ass. ~P

• anonymous_29030anonymous_29030 Posts: 619Registered Users
    Wow, that is just awful!
  • CurlyminxCurlyminx Posts: 5,581Registered Users
    I just can't wrap my head around it! How can you impose yourself on someone else's personal sexual life?

I dont' think for even one second what any one else is doing in their bedroom. Why someone would want to watch what I was doing is totally beyond crazy. ANd to do it in such a ****ty manner as to broadcast it on the internet.

Just truly horrific. My heart goes out to his soul and his family.

I hope that the other person (or people) in the video are able to keep from such a horrible end. I wish everyone victimized by this situation the best.

Current hair styling technique: rake with a scrunch at the end. (works with my coarse hair)

• MixedUpCurlyChickMixedUpCurlyChick Posts: 2,568Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    The culture in this society seems to just keep getting more vicious. I was just reading about Asher Brown earlier. Its so sad :(
    comic-p.jpg
  • CurlyCanadianCurlyCanadian Posts: 10,904Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Connoisseur
    People are fricken amazing :banghead:

I don't know anything about this bridge, does it make sense that his body hasn't been found yet? Hopefully he just decided to disappear for a few days.

So sad :(

ETA ~ Never mind, was just reading about the bridge.
    I believe in manicures. I believe in overdressing. I believe in primping at leisure and wearing lipstick. I believe in pink. I believe that laughing is the best calorie burner. I believe in kissing, kissing a lot. I believe in being strong when everything seems to be going wrong. I believe that happy girls are the prettiest girls. I believe that tomorrow is another day and I believe in miracles.
    Audrey Hepburn
  • WiregirlWiregirl Posts: 1,695Registered Users
    Oh why, why, why????
  • helloyellowbirdhelloyellowbird Banned Posts: 1,632Banned Users
    And this is why I'm getting a single room dorm.
    eIZWI.gif
    :love10:
  • CurlyminxCurlyminx Posts: 5,581Registered Users

Smart girl!

• CocoTCocoT Posts: 5,330Registered Users
    I'm disgusted by this. I get paranoid about this type of stuff too (don't want to give tmi...lol) so I can only imagine how horrible the victim felt after something like this happened to him. People are a**holes.

But that's the way of the world. People these days feel entitled to know personal information about you and it's just sick. I would have loved living in the days where Myspace and Facebook were never invented. Would have saved me a s**t load of therapy. It's sites like these that are why people are so damn intrusive these days.
    11.gif
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds
    -Albert Einstein
    Discounts:iHerb: EZA283 for $5 off!, OCO522 for $10 off first purchase | Komaza Care Referral Code: J5Q362VG
  • curlyarcacurlyarca Posts: 8,449Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Curlyminx wrote: »
    Ugh. I can't believe people. How can this guy and girl have done this to someone?!?!?! Did they think that it was cool and who cares what happens after? Well, the guy commited suicide... I hope that the fun they got out of broadcasting this guys personal life was worth his life.

What someone does in the privacy of their bedroom is NOT open to the world because you are a nosey ****.

Disgusting!

:cwm21: :banghead: :cwm21:

ITA.

"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer."

4a, mbl, low porosity, normal thickness, fine hair.
  • curlyarcacurlyarca Posts: 8,449Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Don't blame you.

"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer."

4a, mbl, low porosity, normal thickness, fine hair.
  • automaticflowersautomaticflowers Posts: 3,465Registered Users
    "Invasion of privacy?" That's it? What a pathetic slap on the wrist for something that resulted in the end of a life.

Harsher punishments for those who torment others into committing suicide, please.
  • curlypearlcurlypearl Posts: 12,227Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    The people who filmed this are filth. Horrific beyond words.
    2/c Coarse hair med. density.
    Highly porous. Color over grey.
    I love all the Curl Junkie products. Still experimenting with gels and curl creams. Still hoping for 2nd day hair....
    Every day is a gift :flower:
  • spring1onuspring1onu Posts: 16,528Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I'm constantly baffled at how one human being can so viciously treat another. We're all HUMAN, why would you do such a thing to another person. Disgusting.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

spring-smiley.gif?1292867680

Byron,GA> Charleston, SC> Jacksonville, FL> Guilford, CT> Rohnert Park, CA! A southern drawl in sunny Cali! . :D
    The amount of time from slipping on the peel and landing on the pavement is exactly one bananosecond.
    I do have a secret yen for pink in unexpected places. ~ninja dog
    I've decided that I'll never get down to my original weight, and I'm OK with that--After all, 8 pounds 2 oz. is just not realistic.
  • RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Posts: 31,259Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    The charges are invasion of privacy right now, but I imagine that it could evolve into murder charges if/when they confirm his death.

The George Washington bridge is over a large river between NY and NJ, which has heavy currents, and it's possible a body will never be found.

These two students are scum. I'm guessing they thought the guy was gay and that's why they did this to him. It's a sad commentary on our society that hate against gays, simply for being gay, still exists. I blame all the gay-hating media, politicians, rednecks, and church leaders who actively encourage this type of crime. I hope the two who did this rot in jail for their entire lives.
  • LadyV69LadyV69 Posts: 3,397Registered Users
    Those two students had to have had pathetic lives if the highlight of their day was videotaping someone else having sex. How vicious can people get?
    Fine haired, low density, highly porous curly kinky lady
    Last relaxer: Not sure. 3/08 or 4/08
    BC'd: 9/18/09
    Co-wash: Suave Naturals, HEHH, Trader Joe's Tea Tree Tingle, CJ Daily Fix
    Leave-In: KCKT, Giovanni Direct Leave-In, CJ Smoothing Lotion
    Stylers: ORS Twist and Loc Gel, KCCC, Ecostyler, SheaMoisture Deep Treatment Masque
    Deep Conditioner: DevaCurl Heaven In Hair, CJ Deep Fix

http://confessionsofladyv69.wordpress.com/
    The charges are invasion of privacy right now, but I imagine that it could evolve into murder charges if/when they confirm his death.

The George Washington bridge is over a large river between NY and NJ, which has heavy currents, and it's possible a body will never be found.

These two students are scum. I'm guessing they thought the guy was gay and that's why they did this to him. It's a sad commentary on our society that hate against gays, simply for being gay, still exists. I blame all the gay-hating media, politicians, rednecks, and church leaders who actively encourage this type of crime. I hope the two who did this rot in jail for their entire lives

+1 I read this article: http://www.lgbtqnation.com/2010/09/another-suicide-houston-teen-victim-of-anti-gay-bullying-shoots-himself/ right before I saw this thread. Several weeks back, a stepfather murdered his stepson b/c he was presenting feminine in some way. Very sad.
    comic-p.jpg
  • murrrcatmurrrcat Posts: 9,596Registered Users
    have you seen about the eleven year old cheerleader boy who got beat up? SERIOUSLY I HATE PEOPLE.

http://www.wltx.com/news/story.aspx?storyid=100294&catid=35

I wanted this gay pride shirt (although I am straight) but then I thought of how STUPID people are but now I'm getting it anyway.
    tumblr_mji9u1Fwza1rh1wv4o1_500.jpg
    turtles wrote: »
    have you seen about the eleven year old cheerleader boy who got beat up? SERIOUSLY I HATE PEOPLE.

http://www.wltx.com/news/story.aspx?storyid=100294&catid=35

I wanted this gay pride shirt (although I am straight) but then I thought of how STUPID people are but now I'm getting it anyway.

That's just it...a lot of these crime victims are not gay or have not divulged either way. They are attacked based on what people percieve them to be. Its that bad.
    comic-p.jpg
  • EilonwyEilonwy Posts: 12,391Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I don't think so. Murder involves intent to kill, and they didn't actually kill him anyway. It's possible that they could be charged with emotional distress or something like that.
  • LotsawavesLotsawaves Posts: 9,775Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    They will probably just get a slap on the wrist. You would hope that they would feel bad about what they did, but it's probably doubtful. This is so sick and sad.
    I really hope he didn't commit suicide. I hope he just set it up to look that way and has moved on somewhere else. I just don't understand how people can make another person's life so miserable that they don't want to live anymore. This is so vile. I agree with RCW. This kind of stuff isn't going to stop unless "these people" suffer consequencies for their actions. What they did is not OK.
    From Michael Berg:

Every person has a unique connection to the Creator that can never be extinguished, and every person has a great soul that can manifest important things in our world. To make a person feel less than they are because of something inside themselves, be it faith, race, or sexual orientation, is the greatest sin of all."
  • munchkinmunchkin Posts: 2,909Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I think the university should kick them out and have a policy of not tolerating such acts against other students.
    3b/c
  • SystemSystem Posts: 39,060 Administrator
    Such a sick thing to do. I hope it gives those two nightmares for the rest of their lives.
  • cmb4314cmb4314 Posts: 984Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    The perpetrators are from the Princeton area, and sound like they are (likely) Indian and Chinese. A lot of the Asian parents in that area, at least those of my friends and my sisters' friends, tend to be.....harsh.

Something tells me that what their parents are going to do to them as punishment will certainly not be pleasant.
  • The New BlackThe New Black Posts: 16,754Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    What a bone-headed thing to do. But I'm sure they weren't trying to be malicious. Typical teen behavior of not thinking through to the conquences of their actions on someone else. Wonder why the kid killed himself though? Because he was outed? He should've just transferred schools if he were that embarrassed.
    montage-3.gif No MAS.

I am the new Black.

"Hope the Mail are saving space tomorrow for Samantha Brick's reaction piece on the reactions to her piece about the reactions to her piece." ~ Tweet reposted by Rou.
    munchkin wrote: »
    I think the university should kick them out and have a policy of not tolerating such acts against other students.

They should be kicked out and not allowed to any university EVER.:protest:
  • CGNYCCGNYC Posts: 4,938Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Phoenix wrote: »
    What a bone-headed thing to do. But I'm sure they weren't trying to be malicious. Typical teen behavior of not thinking through to the conquences of their actions on someone else. Wonder why the kid killed himself though? Because he was outed? He should've just transferred schools if he were that embarrassed.

How is it not malicious to tape your roommate having sex (or at all) and share that? How is that anything BUT malicious?
  • MimsTXMimsTX Posts: 3,482Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Couldn't they be charged with manslaughter, if not murder?
    CG/Mod CG (soap bars) since 8/12/08
    CO wash/Cond: Kathymack & Flowermoon Castille soap bars, V05 Chamomile Tea, Suave Ocean Breeze, Biolage Conditioning Balm
    Styling loves: DIFFUSING! CK, KCNT, KCCC, FOTE (on dry hair only), Re:coil, Proclaim gel
    Not sure about: Boots, Tweek, KBB Milk, DMHJ
    HATE: plopping, FOTE on wet hair, BRHG
  • The New BlackThe New Black Posts: 16,754Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    CGNYC wrote: »

How is it not malicious to tape your roommate having sex (or at all) and share that? How is that anything BUT malicious?
    We really don't know their intent. They could've intended malice. But it just sounds more like a stupid prank that had horrible consequences.
    montage-3.gif No MAS.

I am the new Black.

"Hope the Mail are saving space tomorrow for Samantha Brick's reaction piece on the reactions to her piece about the reactions to her piece." ~ Tweet reposted by Rou.
    CGNYC wrote: »

We really don't know their intent. They could've intended malice. But it just sounds more like a stupid prank that had horrible consequences.

Thats not a prank. Knowing how filming someone naked, let alone having sex, can RUIN their life, and reputation, future career, that's not a prank at all.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file