So last night I poo'd ...

NejNej Posts: 2,444Registered Users Curl Neophyte
and my hair is so flouffy today :sad10: I thought maybe my lack of hair growth was from clogged hair follicles. I read a lot of online articles that sometimes using too much oil (coconut, jojoba) can sometimes clog the follicles and cause delayed hair growth.

*Sigh* I hope it doesn't take too long for the moisture to return.

Anyone find that using oils in your hair causes it to grow slower?
anigif_enhanced-buzz-2027-1364839025-19.gif

Comments

• MirCurlsMirCurls Posts: 2,660Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Nej wrote: »
    and my hair is so flouffy today :sad10: I thought maybe my lack of hair growth was from clogged hair follicles. I read a lot of online articles that sometimes using too much oil (coconut, jojoba) can sometimes clog the follicles and cause delayed hair growth.

*Sigh* I hope it doesn't take too long for the moisture to return.

Anyone find that using oils in your hair causes it to grow slower?

I have super dry scalp and hair (thyroid issue and menopause double whammy), but I can't use oils straight. My hair is just too fine. Gets limp and loses curl and is hard to get out for days.

I did what you did recently--all out pooed with sulfates--and my hair took a week to really stop being rough and frizzy. I got lazy with deep condishes this summer (my hair liked the moisture), and the poo just sort of hurt me. Experiment over. :) They used sulfates on me Friday when they did my hair at the salon, so I've been piling on the leave-in condish and plan to do a deep treatment tomorrow.

I do best with lowpoos, frankly. No reason to use sulfates if you have a good lowpoo that gets all the gunk off.

Alternate cowashes and lowpoos and see how that does you.

To recover from the sulfates just do a nice deep condish with heat.

I don't have any knowledge about oils and growth, but you need to look at other factors:

Do the women in your family grow hair slowly?
    Are you eating adequate protein and nutrients in your diet? (If you lack critical nutrients or do not get enough protein, hair can be affected.)
    Do you make sure you spend time cleaning the scalp gently but firmly with fingerpads when washing (or, if cowashing, spending a good amount of time on the scalp to lift off debris without damaging hair)?
    Do you have some new medical condition or medication that might affect hair?

It can be other factors than oils, although I imagine anytime something is added to scalp, ingredients and mechanical blockage might be an issue.
    3a3b
    Natural since 11/25/09
    Then: fine, superdry, non-elastic, porous
    Now: medium, dry, elastic, lower porosity, BSL

Curl Junkie Conditions!
    Eden BW Cleansing Condish Rocks!

~CJ Protein Tx
    ; BEE-U-Ti-Ful Deep Condish
    ~SMasters Method; Pixie-curling
    Dumped clumps for VOLUME!

Marchioness Mir, Magister of Moisturization & Mystic of the Lofty Crown in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
  • AllyTAllyT Posts: 613Registered Users
    I can't do no poo - I just felt dirty! You have been having dryness all along you mean? My hair never felt any different trying no poo. Some oils are acidic like olive and I believe coconut is somewhat acidic. I can't do olive oil - just ate my hair right up.
  • alyssabriealyssabrie Posts: 110Registered Users
    Mir meant trying a low poo. It still lathers up (kinda) like a regular poo and you get that clean feeling, but they don't contain the really harsh surfactants. IMO Giovanni poo's are good low poos to start with.

ETA: And I like pooing my hair too. I don't cowash anymore. But I do throw some cheap condish or whatever condish I'm trying to use up on my hair a few minutes (usually 15-45) before I get in the shower.
    5077634794_2cf0982890_m.jpg

Photo Album:blob5:

small waves with corkscrews at the end/medium porosity/medium strand thickness/low density

HENNA! :toothy4:

• NejNej Posts: 2,444Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I eat lots of protein and normally just use Deva low-poo. I also take hair growth supplements as well as 1000mg of Biotin. This was the first time in months I poo'd. Thought maybe there was scalp build-up causing my hair to grow slower than it should ... it's always been this way so it might just me me :-( I'm lucky to get 2 inches in 6 months.
    anigif_enhanced-buzz-2027-1364839025-19.gif

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file