wondering if "sealing" is the step I need??

I'm still trying to keep my hair from poofing, getting dryer and losing definition as the day progresses. I've been poring over the boards and see a lot of mention of sealing the hair with oil ? Right now, I cowash,apply leave in, gel, scrunch with curls like us cloth and go. Hair is fine in the morning but gets bad later on...any thoughts?:confused3:
2c/3a

Worrying doesn't take away tomorrow's troubles, it takes away today's peace

Best combo so far:
SheaMosture Curl and shine milk , Ouidad heat and humidity gel

Comments

• ruchipuchiruchipuchi Posts: 149Registered Users
    Bump

I have this same problem, so I'm eager to hear a response.
    Fia: 2c/Coarse/ii, low-normal elasticity, low porosity.

Co-wash: Suave Naturals
    RO/LI: GFTN, GVPCB
    Styling: Curls Defining Moments Curl Release Serum, DevaCare Arc AnGEL, DevaCurl Set It Free, KCCC
    DT/PT: GVPCB, AOHR, Coconut oil, Olive Oil, Yogurt PTs, ION Effective Care
    SOTC: JCN&S

:wav:
  • robinbethsrobinbeths Posts: 171Registered Users
    Here too! Just did a search for this very topic and up this thread came! What is sealing? How's it done? What does it do for your hair? What should I use? :D:D
    Robin :wave:
    I love Jesus!
    Just learning the ropes :toothy5:
    Hairtype: 3b (me thinks) :confused:
    robinbeths wrote: »
    Here too! Just did a search for this very topic and up this thread came! What is sealing? How's it done? What does it do for your hair? What should I use? :D:D

I read some other threads about sealing, and this what I gathered from them... After you poo/cowash/whatever you do to your hair in the shower, you put a little bit of oil in your hair. Most people seem to be using it just on the ends or mid-shaft to the ends so your entire hair doesn't get greasy. I think there's a bit of debate about whether to do it before or after leave-in (if you use it). The purpose of it seems to be to reduce frizz, increase softness, MAYBE to "seal" your ends if there are split ends (you can't actually do this, but I think it just makes it look less split).

I actually tried it today. I smoothed some almond oil on the ends of my hair after using my leave-in. Then I put in my gel and scrunched and plopped. I used almond oil because it's really light and absorbs well and doesn't look greasy. A lot of people seem to use coconut oil or olive oil, but both would make my hair look greasy. My hair is definitely softer and shinier. But it still dried pretty frizzy. The frizz may be a problem with my styling products - I'm new and experimenting. But I definitely like sealing with almond oil! :toothy7:

Styling: Curls Defining Moments Curl Release Serum, DevaCare Arc AnGEL, DevaCurl Set It Free, KCCC

krispy wrote: »
    I'm still trying to keep my hair from poofing, getting dryer and losing definition as the day progresses. I've been poring over the boards and see a lot of mention of sealing the hair with oil ? Right now, I cowash,apply leave in, gel, scrunch with curls like us cloth and go. Hair is fine in the morning but gets bad later on...any thoughts?:confused3:

I was wondering this too and I wanted to hear more experienced peoples' opinion. But since I tried it today, I thought I'd post my results. It's almost 3pm and by now my hair would have been stringy and poofy (I'm not sure how my hair pulls this of at the same time) and have barely any definition! But it's actually still the same as when it was wet, just a bit frizzier (I mean not frizzier from the sealing, juts frizzier than it was when it was wet.) I actually just took a few drops of the almond oil I used to seal and smoothed it over my canopy and it helped with the frizz a lot. And it doesn't look greasy! Just soft and shiny! :blob7: YAAYYY

Oh I just took a picture: Snapshot_20101001_3-vi.jpg

• leonita poraleonita pora Posts: 175Registered Users
    ruchipuchi wrote: »

I was wondering this too and I wanted to hear more experienced peoples' opinion. But since I tried it today, I thought I'd post my results. It's almost 3pm and by now my hair would have been stringy and poofy (I'm not sure how my hair pulls this of at the same time) and have barely any definition! But it's actually still the same as when it was wet, just a bit frizzier (I mean not frizzier from the sealing, juts frizzier than it was when it was wet.) I actually just took a few drops of the almond oil I used to seal and smoothed it over my canopy and it helped with the frizz a lot. And it doesn't look greasy! Just soft and shiny! :blob7: YAAYYY

Did you put almond oil on your dry hair? I might need to try this for calming frizz and flyaways... I want to love coconut oil, but I've only had some luck with it. It can easily make my hair look a bit greasy and give me stringlets, so maybe using the almond oil might be a better option for me.
    Fia: 2b-2c/Fine-Medium/iii (Thick)
    Low-Poo: Giovanni 50/50 Balanced Shampoo, Shampoo bars
    Co-Wash: Trader Joe's Refresh, CJ Daily Fix, CFT Creamy Curl Cleanser
    Rinse-out: Trader Joe's Nourish, GFTN, Aubrey Organics GPB
    Leave-in/Curl Creme: Marie Dean Curly Styling Creme
    Gel: BRHG, homemade FSG, CJ Curl Queen, Deva AnGel
    Hair likes: Protein, FSG, high dewpoints
    Hair dislikes: coconut oil on dry hair
  • sweetpeacurlisweetpeacurli Posts: 343Registered Users

GORGEOUS! I'll definitely try this out tomorrow. I've been having the same problem as you lately.
    Sulfate and Silicone-free since 2005
    CO-wash convert since October 2010
    Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/
    Twitter: @sweetpeacurli

Currently loving:
    • Vo5 tea therapy conditioners
    • Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose conditioner
    • Giovanni Direct leave-in
    • Biosilk Rock Hard Gelee
    I am now completely out of the closet as the craziest of crazy cat ladies. I own it. I embrace it. I am one with the crazy.
  • SaroyanSaroyan Posts: 398Registered Users
    I'll have to try this for my frizzy, puffy hair! I've used Darcy's conditioning oil (mixture of coconut and some others) successfully as a pre-poo, but I've never tried it after washing.
    2a, very fine, very thick, protein-loving, not especially porous. cg since july 2010.

cleanse: cj daily fix, vo5 vanilla mint tea
    condition: marie dean anything, db pumpkin seed, cj curl assurance, cj beauticurls
    style: cj beauticurls leave-in, cj curl queen, cj cccc lite, kccc, homemade fsg, db coconut & hibiscus oil, ecostyler
    treatments: ss repairing protein, ss deeply decadent
    techniques: icequeen, plopping, scrunching upside down, pixie diffusing
  • kathymackkathymack Posts: 9,999Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    This summer, in the high dewpoints, I used a lot of the Marie Dean "jar" products, they contain a lot of oils, with just a jelly product on top--no gel. It worked really well, even in 70 dewpoint days. I think the reason they worked so well is that they "sealed" my hair.

The only days I really have hair issues is when it's pouring rain, windy and the air feels "soupy."
    3a (Corkicelli), highlighted, fine, low porosity
    SE PA

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Aloe Fix
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • CurlykeyCurlykey Posts: 1,540Registered Users Curl Novice
    Saroyan wrote: »
    I'll have to try this for my frizzy, puffy hair! I've used Darcy's conditioning oil (mixture of coconut and some others) successfully as a pre-poo, but I've never tried it after washing.

I love this oil! I use it to "seal" my hair before I put any products in. When it's dry if I have a few frizzies, then I will smooth a little of this on again. The great thing about this oil is that it is not heavy. Another one I love, is camellia oil (which is in the DB as well). These two seem to work the best for me. Maybe in the winter I will try a "heavier" oil. I cannot use pure coconut oil on wet hair, but it works well on dry hair.
    $5 off first order at iherb use code KEY066
    Curlykey wrote: »

I love this oil! I use it to "seal" my hair before I put any products in. When it's dry if I have a few frizzies, then I will smooth a little of this on again. The great thing about this oil is that it is not heavy. Another one I love, is camellia oil (which is in the DB as well). These two seem to work the best for me. Maybe in the winter I will try a "heavier" oil. I cannot use pure coconut oil on wet hair, but it works well on dry hair.

I just smoothed a few drops over dry hair after walking home in the wind and rain, and it almost eliminated the frizz! I think this product is becoming an HG for me. I'll definitely try using it to seal next time I wash.
    2a, very fine, very thick, protein-loving, not especially porous. cg since july 2010.

condition: marie dean anything, db pumpkin seed, cj curl assurance, cj beauticurls
    style: cj beauticurls leave-in, cj curl queen, cj cccc lite, kccc, homemade fsg, db coconut & hibiscus oil, ecostyler
    @leonita pora I used the almond oil in my wet hair initially to seal. But later on in the day when my hair had dried and was frizzy, I smoothed a tiny bit (and I mean just a few drops) over my canopy when it was dry. I think it has the potential to be greasy if you use more than a little on dry hair, but it absorbs pretty well for the most part. Coconut oil doesn't do that for me.

• CurlykeyCurlykey Posts: 1,540Registered Users Curl Novice

I just smoothed a few drops over dry hair after walking home in the wind and rain, and it almost eliminated the frizz! I think this product is becoming an HG for me. I'll definitely try using it to seal next time I wash.
    Great! Let us know how you like it. :)
    $5 off first order at iherb use code KEY066

Great! Let us know how you like it. :)

Well, so far, all I can say is "make sure you don't use too much." It's hard to tell when your hair is wet, but err on the side of caution!

The good is that my hair is shiny (it's never shiny) and very soft (it's never soft either). The bad is that it's limp, stringy, and slightly greasy-looking... not disgusting, just not like first day hair. I do think it has promise, but I'll have to be very careful with how much I apply next time.

I also think I may have been bordering on overconditioned to begin with, which doesn't help.

• TrixieTrixie Posts: 260Registered Users
    I've also been using the Marie Dean products to "seal". I take just a tiny bit of the lemon yogurt hair smoothie and scrunch it in my hair after I've applied my other products...wow, what a difference! My hair stays much more moisturized during the day and it also looks shinier! Seems that sealing is an important step for my hair.:)
    Somewhere between a 2b/c and a 3a

Current product favorites
    Cleansers: Giovanni TTTT shampoo, Deva No-Poo, Tresemme Naturals Moisturizing Conditioner
    Conditioners: Tigi Moisture Maniac, Yes to Cucumbers, GVP Conditioning Balm, AOHR
    Stylers/Gels: KCCC, SS CEJ and FHG, AOMM, BRHG, LA Looks Sport Gel, Lustrasilk (winter), Pink Boots (winter)
    Henna glosses!
  • MountaincurlMountaincurl Posts: 571Registered Users

prettyyyy!
    Wyoming, mod CG since 08/2010
    2cFii (fia), normal/normal, bleached, loves protein.
    Seborrheic dermatitis diagnosed 02/2016

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file