Check out No Poo article in NYT!

MichelleMichelle AdministratorPosts: 742Administrators, Moderators Administrator
Michelle
co-founder
NaturallyCurly.com

Comments

• CurlyminxCurlyminx Posts: 5,581Registered Users
    I got an error when I tried the link to the NYT story.

I would love to read the article!
    tumblr_mk2chrdnQe1qzwi58o1_500.gif
    Mix of 3s, thick, coarse, medium porosity

Current hair styling technique: rake with a scrunch at the end. (works with my coarse hair)

http://public.fotki.com/curlymix/
    pw: curls

Known HGs: KCCC, homemade fsg, honey
  • Auntie BubbsAuntie Bubbs Posts: 1,068Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    same here
    That's me with FSG as my styler!!

3b. fine & thick, coarse, dry, medium porosity. Sucks up product and loves ACVs! FSG is my HG!

Currently using:
    Low Poo: TJ's Refresh No Poo: CoWash w/VO-5; Sonoma Soap Company sulfate-free poo
    RO: Yes to Cuc; SSC Lavender Condish; Sally GVP LI: Donna Marie Miracle D&C
    Style: FSG w/Aussie Instant Freeze & CIAB
  • MichelleMichelle Administrator Posts: 742Administrators, Moderators Administrator
    Michelle
    co-founder
    NaturallyCurly.com
  • curlyinohiocurlyinohio Posts: 362Registered Users
    I don't care what Christo or anyone else says about sulfates not being harmful. Stopping all use of sulfates has drastically improved the condition of my hair. It's curly, not frizzy, soft, and my scalp has balanced out from being oily to normal. That tells me all I need to know. Also humid weather doesn't affect my hair nearly as much as it used to. And my hair and head do get perfectly clean just washing with conditioner. I have to wonder if those who say otherwise are scrubbing properly. Anyway, I'll never go back to shampoo, ever!
    Cowash: Suave Aloe and Water Lily
    Conditioner and Leave-in: GFTN
    LA Looks Sport Gel
    Coconut oil Or Olive oil at night
  • rudeechickrudeechick Posts: 6,726Registered Users
    Old news to us;) :wav:
    But hooray for the NC mentions!
    Curls,Coils,Waves & WhatKnot:geek:
    3miii/My HGs tame bulk&frizz/Give definition w/o crunch
    My Photobucket Album
  • SaroyanSaroyan Posts: 398Registered Users
    I'm really starting to dislike these trend pieces that go, Some people are doing X. Other people think X is ridiculous. We won't examine the factual claims on either side, and there may be some good evidence in favor (or, for that matter, against), but aren't these devotees of X so quirky!

That aside, it's nice to see us getting some attention, and it's interesting to read about how the more conventional product manufacturers are making efforts to break into what's still a relatively small niche market. Signs that CG is going mainstream?
    2a, very fine, very thick, protein-loving, not especially porous. cg since july 2010.

cleanse: cj daily fix, vo5 vanilla mint tea
    condition: marie dean anything, db pumpkin seed, cj curl assurance, cj beauticurls
    style: cj beauticurls leave-in, cj curl queen, cj cccc lite, kccc, homemade fsg, db coconut & hibiscus oil, ecostyler
    treatments: ss repairing protein, ss deeply decadent
    techniques: icequeen, plopping, scrunching upside down, pixie diffusing
    I'd like the article more if it didn't end on such a down note for sulfate free shampoo goers, the writer is pretty much mocking those of us who don't believe in shampooing with SLS. Getting a dig in at the girl who followed the no poo routine by telling her "Maybe you should shampoo once in a while" is basically telling her "try washing your hair" while implying strongly that we who don't use SLS aren't clean. Its the same argument I have with my family who can't understand the no/low poo method I advocate and follow.
    I was going to forward the article to my mom to help her understand, until I read the last 2 paragraphs. :(
    I wish they'd gotten into the distinction between no pooo and low poo and how you can clarify with loow poo and get perfectly clean hair that way. There's so much the article wasn't able to cover, I get that, but it was kind of a bummer.

I was thrilled by the shout out to NC.com too, but he kind of mocked us curlies. How come we have to "fret" instead of just care passionately about our hair? I notice the writer has to use adjectives with subtly negative conoctations, like fret and finicky to describe us and our curls.

I guess some coverage is better than none, but I feel like the writer made fun of us more than he advocated for us. Or rather, that Cristo made fun of us and the writer ran with it. Cristo must really hate Lorraine Massey!

3b. fine & thick, coarse, dry, medium porosity. Sucks up product and loves ACVs! FSG is my HG!

Currently using:
    Low Poo: TJ's Refresh No Poo: CoWash w/VO-5; Sonoma Soap Company sulfate-free poo
  • aislinaislin Posts: 864Registered Users
    I'd like the article more if it didn't end on such a down note for sulfate free shampoo goers, the writer is pretty much mocking those of us who don't believe in shampooing with SLS. Getting a dig in at the girl who followed the no poo routine by telling her "Maybe you should shampoo once in a while" is basically telling her "try washing your hair" while implying strongly that we who don't use SLS aren't clean. Its the same argument I have with my family who can't understand the no/low poo method I advocate and follow.
    I was going to forward the article to my mom to help her understand, until I read the last 2 paragraphs. :(
    I wish they'd gotten into the distinction between no pooo and low poo and how you can clarify with loow poo and get perfectly clean hair that way. There's so much the article wasn't able to cover, I get that, but it was kind of a bummer.

I was thrilled by the shout out to NC.com too, but he kind of mocked us curlies. How come we have to "fret" instead of just care passionately about our hair? I notice the writer has to use adjectives with subtly negative conoctations, like fret and finicky to describe us and our curls.

I guess some coverage is better than none, but I feel like the writer made fun of us more than he advocated for us. Or rather, that Cristo made fun of us and the writer ran with it. Cristo must really hate Lorraine Massey!

Personally I think no mention is better than an opinionated negative one. At least with no mention, people will look it up for themselves and get more accurate information about something they know nothing about then thinking they have been informed by something inaccurate.

The sentence I bolded from your quote I've often wondered myself actually. Those that start something though often take a lot of heat from those that follow trying to cash in on the original inventor's ideas. Maybe that's all it really is. The, "bigger better" feeling of "improving" on something that already works. Talking ideas and methods respectively, not necessarily specifically products.

Yeah reviewing the article again, it makes low pooers/no pooers out to be idiotic people who don't know what they're talking about. Especially that last part about the client and Cristo telling her to poo every once in awhile LOLZ. Company heads can talk ingredients all they want, and maybe it's not possible to pinpoint one ingredient as being the culprit. But... You can't really argue with results.
    Wurly, fine, thin, moderately to heavily porous. Mod CG.

• KaineKKaineK Posts: 26Registered Users
    As a journalist, I am appalled at the negative connotation exuded from the adjectives in this article!

The reporter should be fired for writing a biased, opinionated article!!

A slap in the face to me!

.......gets off soap box...........lol
  • hohohoho Posts: 19Registered Users
    I'm really starting to dislike these trend pieces that go, Some people are doing X. Other people think X is ridiculous. We won't examine the factual claims on either side, and there may be some good evidence in favor (or, for that matter, against), but aren't these devotees of X so quirky!
  • WurlyLoxWurlyLox Posts: 4,858Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Lorraine Massey's comments about Everpure having to contain sulfates because it's so sudsy annoyed me. I have used several low-poos that contain none whatsoever that suds perfectly fine.

Still, all in all, it's good to see the whole idea becoming more mainstream because it should offer everyone more and more options.
    2C/3A/3B - modified CG - fairly fine now, normal/low porosity/normal elasticity

Current Main Rotation: MG217 medicated or Aim2Health 'poos for scalp, Elucence cond., Spiral Solutions Protein & Deeply Decadent Cond., CJCCCC reg or lite,CJ Pattern Pusha,, Giovanni LA Hold Hair Spritz + lots more, sporadically

HG Method: Super Soaker + Smasters-ing, brief upside down diffusing w/360o diffuser then clips/clamps & air dry. Newly gray - stopped my henna glosses!

www.fotki.com/auntnett
    Ok, so I wasn't imagining the negative tone. I wondered if I was being paranoid, LOL.

Auntnett, that bugged me a bit too. I use dairy whip, and it foams up alot. There's no SLS in there, though! Ditto on my Trader Joe's Refresh. She was being kind of simplistic.

Currently using:
  • SailaSaila Posts: 1,212Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Ok, so I wasn't imagining the negative tone. I wondered if I was being paranoid, LOL.

Auntnett, that bugged me a bit too. I use dairy whip, and it foams up alot. There's no SLS in there, though! Ditto on my Trader Joe's Refresh. She was being kind of simplistic.

I agree. I think if she had actually EXPLAINED how to do a co-wash (massage rigorously, clarify if needed, etc) instead of just BASHED sulfates, it would have been a lot more productive of an article. I'm not sure if it is her fault or the writer's, but this article was pointless. It did not provide any useful or helpful information at all. It was just "hey, some people do this no-sulfate thing... LOL. Whatever. Just shampoo every once in a while."

Disappointing "journalism."

On a more positive note, maybe some curlies saw the naturallycurly.com plug and will check out the website! :)
  • FairlyCurlyFairlyCurly Posts: 839Registered Users
    Every single sulfate-free poo that I have tried has made my hair feel stripped, hard and dry. If sulfate-free poos are supposedly better than sulfate poos, then why do they actually feel harsher to me?

Conditioner-washing and sulfate-free poos have not worked for me. Ideally, if I didn't have to go to work every day, I'd just cleanse every two days with a sulfate poo and that would work for me.
    3a/3b, Fine, low porosity.
  • MissCurlySFMissCurlySF Posts: 7Registered Users
    Fairewood wrote: »
    Every single sulfate-free poo that I have tried has made my hair feel stripped, hard and dry. If sulfate-free poos are supposedly better than sulfate poos, then why do they actually feel harsher to me?

Conditioner-washing and sulfate-free poos have not worked for me. Ideally, if I didn't have to go to work every day, I'd just cleanse every two days with a sulfate poo and that would work for me.

That happens to me as well. For the longest time I tried to be really good and completely avoid sulfates, but every time I low-poo'd my hair (and I tried many kinds!) it would come out fluffy and stripped. I couldn't stand it! After some research I realized there's a correlation between hard water (which I have where I live) and mineral build-up on the hair that requires more aggressive, if occasional, cleansing. For some people soap bars and vinegar rinses do the trick, but for me, I need that occasional sulfate shampoo to get rid of the buildup. Lately I've been using the Lush Godiva shampoo bar about once a week, which you only need very little of to get a sufficient cleanse. So I am a modified CG, but it works for me!

In terms of sulfate-free 'poos being "better"... I really do think it depends on your curls, your environment, and your water. (When I lived in a soft-water city, using low 'poos, or none at all, worked fine for me!) There are some concerns with SLS in terms of how healthy it is for your body, but so it is with many other commercial products, including coconut-based surfactants (as found in low-'poos). You have to go with what feels right for you!
  • BoomygrrlBoomygrrl Posts: 4,940Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I liked the article over all, because it introduced the concept, which might help a lot of curlies.
    I thought Massey's comment about sulfate-free shampoos cannot sudse (and thinking there must actually be sulfates in it after all) was strange. I'm not a big Massey fan. I find her business practices unethical, but I digress.
    I actually laughed at the end...I think sometimes people do need a good shampooing/clarifying.
    I think the article did more good than bad, though. It'll make people pay more attention to what's in their shampoos and maybe think about trying the sulfate-free shampoos out to see if they might like it.
    That's right, I said it! I wear scrunchies!!

I am a sulfate washing, cone slabbing, curly lovin' s.o.b. The CG police haven't caught me yet.
    :blob8:

3a/3b
  • SailaSaila Posts: 1,212Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Boomygrrl wrote: »
    I liked the article over all, because it introduced the concept, which might help a lot of curlies.
    I thought Massey's comment about sulfate-free shampoos cannot sudse (and thinking there must actually be sulfates in it after all) was strange. I'm not a big Massey fan. I find her business practices unethical, but I digress.
    I actually laughed at the end...I think sometimes people do need a good shampooing/clarifying.
    I think the article did more good than bad, though. It'll make people pay more attention to what's in their shampoos and maybe think about trying the sulfate-free shampoos out to see if they might like it.

LOL, now I'm curious...

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file