Any 2's using Marie Dean products?

leonita poraleonita pora Registered Users Posts: 175
I have read through the Marie Dean posts on another thread, but wanted to post here to see if any 2's were using these products. If so, how?

When Marie Dean was having that sale I bought a moisturizer/styler sample pack, along with the Lemon Yogurt Smoothie (after reading huge raves about this particular product). Since I received these products almost 2 weeks ago, I've been using them since. The first day I made the mistake of using the Lemon Yogurt Smoothie as a leave-in, then Curly Styling Cream as a curl cream, and then gel. Bad combo - too heavy. Since then I've been only using one of the creams or smoothie as leave-in/curl cream and trying different stuff on top.

It's still a work in progress for me. These products are super moisturizing, which I like, but I do have to be careful in how much I use. I'm anticipating that as the cold and dry weather approaches, I'm going to really love these products. As others have mentioned, they really don't give strong hold, so I'm working on the best product to layer on top.

So, if are using one of these products, how do you use it and what is your favorite combo, etc?
Fia: 2b-2c/Fine-Medium/iii (Thick)
Low-Poo: Giovanni 50/50 Balanced Shampoo, Shampoo bars
Co-Wash: Trader Joe's Refresh, CJ Daily Fix, CFT Creamy Curl Cleanser
Rinse-out: Trader Joe's Nourish, GFTN, Aubrey Organics GPB
Leave-in/Curl Creme: Marie Dean Curly Styling Creme
Gel: BRHG, homemade FSG, CJ Curl Queen, Deva AnGel
Hair likes: Protein, FSG, high dewpoints
Hair dislikes: coconut oil on dry hair

Comments

• asianrunnerasianrunner Registered Users Posts: 2,251 Curl Neophyte
    Funny you should ask since I recently got some samples from kathymack and have been experimenting a little. The vanilla coconut conditioner is not really moisturizing at all! I tried the lemon yogurt smoothie and my hair hated that as well. I have a couple other things to try still though but am not impressed yet.
    Coarse texture, normal-high porosity, normal elasticity (Komaza Care), very weak waves
    cleanser: Redken Fresh Curls Shampoo, CJ Daily Fix

rinse out: GVP Conditioning Balm, CJ Beauticurls, CJ Smoothing

jellies/creams: CR Curl Maker, KCCC
    gels: CJ CQ, CJ Pattern Pusha, BRHG

• TrixieTrixie Registered Users Posts: 260
    I've been experimenting with the Lemon Yogurt Smoothie and the Curly Styling Cream! I definitely have to be careful how much I use with these...I only just coat my hands with a thin layer of it (if that makes sense). More than that, and I get weighed down. They definitely are SUPER moisturizing though, which I need! They really have worked well topped with every gel that I've tried. My favorite so far is KMS Cranberry Pepper Gel, but I have been loving that on top of everything! BRHG seemed to work well also.
    Somewhere between a 2b/c and a 3a

Current product favorites
    Cleansers: Giovanni TTTT shampoo, Deva No-Poo, Tresemme Naturals Moisturizing Conditioner
    Conditioners: Tigi Moisture Maniac, Yes to Cucumbers, GVP Conditioning Balm, AOHR
    Stylers/Gels: KCCC, SS CEJ and FHG, AOMM, BRHG, LA Looks Sport Gel, Lustrasilk (winter), Pink Boots (winter)
    Henna glosses!
  • leonita poraleonita pora Registered Users Posts: 175
    Trixie wrote: »
    They definitely are SUPER moisturizing though, which I need!

They really are! I'm hoping that if I keep using them under my gel or gellie (I'm looking for an inexpensive one or perfecting my FSG recipe) I'll be able to avoid deep treatments (not that I have found I needed these all that often, anyway).
  • TrixieTrixie Registered Users Posts: 260
    Trixie wrote: »
    They definitely are SUPER moisturizing though, which I need!

They really are! I'm hoping that if I keep using them under my gel or gellie (I'm looking for an inexpensive one or perfecting my FSG recipe) I'll be able to avoid deep treatments (not that I have found I needed these all that often, anyway).

I haven't really deep treated since I started using Marie Dean, I love it! :blob8:
    Somewhere between a 2b/c and a 3a

Current product favorites
    Cleansers: Giovanni TTTT shampoo, Deva No-Poo, Tresemme Naturals Moisturizing Conditioner
    Conditioners: Tigi Moisture Maniac, Yes to Cucumbers, GVP Conditioning Balm, AOHR
    Stylers/Gels: KCCC, SS CEJ and FHG, AOMM, BRHG, LA Looks Sport Gel, Lustrasilk (winter), Pink Boots (winter)
    Henna glosses!
  • SaroyanSaroyan Registered Users Posts: 398
    I actually emailed Marie Dean today with my properties and hair pictures because I'm deciding what to order, and Adriene wrote me back within a few hours! This advice is for my protein-loving hair, so if you're protein-sensitive take note, but I think much of it applies to fine-haired wavies generally. Here's her reply:
    Hi [Saroyan],

For styling products, you can try any of our Yogurt Hair Smoothies - a medium thick hair cream (not a heavy cream) that can be a great moisturizer for your fine thick hair. Our Yogurt Hair Smoothies can be used to moisturize hair and as a styling cream. You can also try our Curly Styling Cream. This rich hair moisturizer creates super moisturized, defined curls and coils. Or, if you want something much lighter in consistency, try our Hair Drink Moisturizers. Hair Drink Moisturizers are very light hair creams -- great for moisturization and styling as well.

Any our our deep conditioners, like the Seaweed & Rice Deep Conditioner, Olive & Wheat Berry Intense Protein Deep Conditioner Treatment and Peach Honey Syrup Deep Conditioners (contains honey and molasses) will work great for your hair. They all contain proteins like silk protein, wheat protein and oat protein and nourishing butters and oils.

If you want a lighter conditioner, try any of our Liquid Conditioners -- they are great for controlling frizz . Our 3-n-1 Illipe Mango Conditioner is not a deep conditioner but it a wonderful conditioner if you would like lots of slip and or want to use it daily.

I recently created a Sweet Milk Moisturizing Deep Conditioner which contains milk amino protein, silk protein, oat protein, humectants and other nourishing butters and oils. You can find it under NEW PRODUCTS.

P.S. - You have beautiful hair!

Thanks,
    Adriene Marie

Hope this helps!
    2a, very fine, very thick, protein-loving, not especially porous. cg since july 2010.

cleanse: cj daily fix, vo5 vanilla mint tea
    condition: marie dean anything, db pumpkin seed, cj curl assurance, cj beauticurls
    style: cj beauticurls leave-in, cj curl queen, cj cccc lite, kccc, homemade fsg, db coconut & hibiscus oil, ecostyler
    treatments: ss repairing protein, ss deeply decadent
    techniques: icequeen, plopping, scrunching upside down, pixie diffusing
    Oooh that Sweet Milk Moisturizing Deep Conditioner sounds interesting!
  • heidiheidi Registered Users Posts: 243
    I've looked at the Marie Dean website many times but always decide not to order anything. It's the wax in everything that has me worried. It seems like wax would be a build-up issue for a co-washer. Does it just rinse out?
    Medium-fine Texture, Normal Porosity, Normal Elasticity, Thick Density
    Co-wash: Renpure Body&Shine
    RO: Kenra Moisturizing Conditioner
    LI/Curl Enhancer: Kenra Moisturizing Conditioner
    Other: I'll add a little AG Mousse Gel if I want something extra.
    Which is the wax? I haven't noticed it in the ingredients.

I don't exclusively co-wash, so I can't comment if I feel any buildup.
    Candelilla wax or vegetable emulsifying wax is in almost every product I've looked at.

EDTA: The Yogurt Smoothies don't seem to have waxes but they claim to be high in humectants which I need to avoid/limit. I'm more interested in the butters, soufles, puddings, drinks and conditioners, all of which have the wax...
  • kathymackkathymack Registered Users Posts: 9,999 Curl Neophyte
    heidi wrote: »
    Candelilla wax or vegetable emulsifying wax is in almost every product I've looked at.

EDTA: The Yogurt Smoothies don't seem to have waxes but they claim to be high in humectants which I need to avoid/limit. I'm more interested in the butters, soufles, puddings, drinks and conditioners, all of which have the wax...

I'm no longer a 2, but can report that there's no problem with the wax and build up. I use the natural soap bars and an occasional CJ Daily Fix. At one point, I used a Marie Dean product every day for three weeks--and still no problems. Of course, I've only tried about 20 ([buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/CURLS-Curl-Souffl-p-887.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=Curls-Souffle]souffle[/buylink], puddings, drink and conditioners) of them, so I can't report on ALL of the products, LOL!
    3a (Corkicelli), highlighted, fine, low porosity
    SE PA

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Aloe Fix
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • melaniesusanmelaniesusan Registered Users Posts: 948 Curl Neophyte
    I'm having a great hair day today with Marie Dean lemon sunshine [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/CURLS-Curl-Souffl-p-887.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=Curls-Souffle]souffle[/buylink] (2 pea-sized amounts) under SS CEJ (3 full pumps).

I diffused until hair was dry and voila: beautiful, light, airy curls. I also had some flyways/mild frizz, on account of not using any hard-hold gel.

Following Kathymack's advice, I emulsified a tiny bit more of the MD [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/CURLS-Curl-Souffl-p-887.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=Curls-Souffle]souffle[/buylink] in my hands, and used it to SOTC. My hair then looked a bit greasy, so I turned the diffuser on again and diffused 2-3 minutes on low heat while scrunching throughout. This allowed the extra [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/CURLS-Curl-Souffl-p-887.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=Curls-Souffle]souffle[/buylink] to soak in, and my hair looked good once again. Plus, no more frizz/flyaways.

Dews today are high (55-60 F). Humidity is 63% currently. It was raining earlier in the day. Curl has held up well all day. I look forward to further experiments with the MD [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/CURLS-Curl-Souffl-p-887.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=Curls-Souffle]souffle[/buylink].
    hair type: 2B/3A
    low poo: Elucence moisture; Elucence clarifying (after swimming)
    condish: CJ smoothing; CJ argan; CJ repair me; CJ curl rehab
    winter/spring styling: CJ Beauticurls leave-in + Curly Kinks coil jam + Ouidad mongongo oil; or CJ leave-in + SpiralSolutions CEJ & FHG
    summer/fall styling: CJ CCCC lite + CIAB + Curl Queen
    http://members.fotki.com/melaniesusan/ pw = 3ahair
  • rymorg2rymorg2 Registered Users Posts: 2,571
    I ordered a BUNCH of MD products about 3 or 4 months ago....and they promptly went on the swap board when I had an allergic reaction to them. No more MD for me!
    Cosmetology Educator with sensitivities, eczema and Seborrheic Dermatitis.
    Low poo: looking
    COWash: Eden, cheapo condish, CJDF
    RO: varies
    Protein: CJCF or CJRM
    DT: CJHBDF, CJCR, DBPC
    LI: varies, usually KCKT
    Stylers: KCCC, CRNCM, UFDCM, Curls gel, ecostyler

Lady Karaan, High Priestess of Hayr Tretements in the Order of Curly Crusaders
    Fotki updated 10/12/10 Password: wavy
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I'm really liking the samples I got, but like leonita pora, I have to be careful with how much I use. It's not so much that I'm weighed down as that if I apply too much, it doesn't fully absorb into my hair and I look greasy. I definitely think they'll be a staple in the winter, though, as dews are already quite low here.
    2a, very fine, very thick, protein-loving, not especially porous. cg since july 2010.

condition: marie dean anything, db pumpkin seed, cj curl assurance, cj beauticurls
    style: cj beauticurls leave-in, cj curl queen, cj cccc lite, kccc, homemade fsg, db coconut & hibiscus oil, ecostyler
    I've now tried 7 MD products overall, and like the red clover/honey leave-in conditioner, and the mango pudding plus the best.

I posted reviews of all 7 products I tried on this thread:

http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/showthread.php?t=113493
    winter/spring styling: CJ Beauticurls leave-in + Curly Kinks coil jam + Ouidad mongongo oil; or CJ leave-in + SpiralSolutions CEJ & FHG
  • DEL2CDEL2C Registered Users Posts: 6,418 Curl Neophyte
    Funny you should ask since I recently got some samples from kathymack and have been experimenting a little. The vanilla coconut conditioner is not really moisturizing at all! I tried the lemon yogurt smoothie and my hair hated that as well. I have a couple other things to try still though but am not impressed yet.
    I have to say I haven't been tempted in the least to try these :lol: Thanks Asian! We definitely have very similar "tastes" in hair stuff.
    Discovered CG 2007

2C Fia BSL/Thick/Med-Coarse/Low(crown)-Normal Porosity Protein and Oil Sensitive

Link-Spritz & Condish Washing:glasses7:

I'm aCurlJunkieJunky :love4:

My hair LOVES Coconut DESPISES Soap Bars :tongue6:

CJRehab or H&B Fix, Deva NO POO, EO Rose & Cham POO & Condish, CJ CurlFix, CJ Pattern Pusha, CJ CIAB, SS FHG, KCCC, BRHG, AG Mousse Gel, ACV Rinses,Shikakai Conditioning Hair Rinse.
    Ok, so those of you that are using the curl cremes, are you using them with or without a curl enhancer and/or a gel/jelly? I'm still experimenting with my samples (got sidetracked by experimenting with the new CJ products) and would like to know how you are making these products work for you.
    DEL2C wrote: »
    I have to say I haven't been tempted in the least to try these :lol: Thanks Asian! We definitely have very similar "tastes" in hair stuff.

haha glad I can help! ;) Today I felt tempted to try the Mango pudding plus as my leave-in and again wasn't overly impressed. I layered the UFD Curly Magic on top and my hair looked greasy for the first time in a long while! I'm pretty sure I used too much after reading some other MD threads though.

On an odd side note, the pudding made my hair smell like strawberry jello. Weird. Another poster on the review board said that the scent was pleasant and didn't linger. Maybe my sample was just really fragrant??
    Coarse texture, normal-high porosity, normal elasticity (Komaza Care), very weak waves

I conditioned with the 3-N-1 Mango Ilipe conditioner yesterday and it left my hair so soft. I even got soft second-day hair which is rare for me. Highly recommend this conditioner for those of you with thirsty hair!

The other rinse-out I got was the Green Hemp conditioner, which has more protein. I'm going to try that out tomorrow and report back.

kathymack wrote: »
    I'm no longer a 2, but can report that there's no problem with the wax and build up. I use the natural soap bars and an occasional CJ Daily Fix. At one point, I used a Marie Dean product every day for three weeks--and still no problems.

Thanks for you input Kathymack! I can see how the wax wouldn't be an issue if you're using soap bars. As an almost exclusive co-washer I was worried MD might lead to build-up.
    Saroyan wrote: »
    I conditioned with the 3-N-1 Mango Ilipe conditioner yesterday and it left my hair so soft. I even got soft second-day hair which is rare for me. Highly recommend this conditioner for those of you with thirsty hair!

Glad it's working so well for you, Saroyan . Doesn't well moisturized hair feel nice? :D
  • frxncrlsfrxncrls Registered Users Posts: 252 Curl Neophyte
    Anymore 2's using Marie Dean products?? Or previous users still loving these products??
    in humidity hell south Florida or high and dry Colorado
    CG since 2005
    2a, 2b, 3b - fine hair, low density - low/normal porosity
    washing: cj curl assurance gentle cleansing, cj daily fix, as i am coconut cowash
    conditioning: cj smoothing, cj strengthening, giovanni 50/50 balance, darcy's pumpkin seed, kinky curly knot today
    styling: homemade fsg, kinky curly curling custard, cj pattern pusha
    pt: cj curl fix, cj repair me
    avoid: humectants, polyquats
  • curvesncurlscurvesncurls Registered Users Posts: 154
    Thanks for bumping this post! I obtained the curl styling cream in a swap board purchase and I haven't been able to find a good way to use it yet. It's so thick and heavy! Plus now the weather is warming up, so this might have to wait til the dews come down a bit (if they do). This might be able to sub for my SM Curl Smoothie which I use in very small amounts on my day 2 hair if I need some extra frizz control, but I'm not digging the caramel scented MD at all :tongue6: I'll be following the post with interest though and hoping others are having some success.
    Southern WI curly ~ mostly 2b/c with 2a/b underlayer and a few 3a curls on top
    Low porosity, fine hair but LOTS of it!
    Loves protein. Dislikes butters and heavy oils.
    Working toward natural products and streamlining!!
    Current Loves: JCCC, Desert Essence Coconut Conditioner, AG Recoil, CK Coil Jam
    frxncrls wrote: »
    Anymore 2's using Marie Dean products?? Or previous users still loving these products??

I still really like them. I'm a product slut and have some new things, so not quite as much. I wet, use a rinse out and style everyday. For about 18 months, I probably used one as a styling product 5 or 6 times a week. Now, it's probably 3 times a week.

You only need to use a minute amount. I think they seal the hair and help prevent frizz in really high and low dew points. Used a little too much of one of the puddings yesterday. It took my low porosity hair A LONG time to absorb it. My hair got better as the day went on, which is pretty typical for me.
    SE PA

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Aloe Fix
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I use the the Red Clover honey leave-in very occasionally. It makes me itchy if I use too much or very often.

I've been using the MD CSC under SS FHG for the past 5-6 months. I have a few other product combos, but this is my favorite. I've loved it! I also cut 6" off my hair 7 weeks ago, and it has been a nice product combo for shorter (chin length) hair. My hair is much more 2B than 3A when it's short (it curls more the longer it is), and the MD gives me good curl and volume.

The FHG has only medium hold, so my hair does flatten out a bit as the day goes on, but I prefer touchable hair to producty hair so it's a worthwhile exchange.
  • frxncrlsfrxncrls Registered Users Posts: 252 Curl Neophyte

You only need to use a minute amount. I think they seal the hair and help prevent frizz in really high and low dew points. Used a little too much of one of the puddings yesterday. It took my low porosity hair A LONG time to absorb it. My hair got better as the day went on, which is pretty typical for me.

Preventing frizz in really high or really low dew points is what I am seeking. More than anything else (hair type, etc), I am always concerned with dews because I live with extremes. So what is recommended from MD for sealing hair?
    in humidity hell south Florida or high and dry Colorado
    CG since 2005
    2a, 2b, 3b - fine hair, low density - low/normal porosity
    washing: cj curl assurance gentle cleansing, cj daily fix, as i am coconut cowash
    conditioning: cj smoothing, cj strengthening, giovanni 50/50 balance, darcy's pumpkin seed, kinky curly knot today
    styling: homemade fsg, kinky curly curling custard, cj pattern pusha
    pt: cj curl fix, cj repair me
    avoid: humectants, polyquats

Preventing frizz in really high or really low dew points is what I am seeking. More than anything else (hair type, etc), I am always concerned with dews because I live with extremes. So what is recommended from MD for sealing hair?

For me, it's really important to rotate products. I never use anything more then twice a week. I like the styling products the best--leave in, puddings, styling creams, yogurt smoothie.
    SE PA

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file