Spinoff: Old family photos

PartyHairPartyHair Posts: 7,713Registered Users
Do you like looking at old family photos? It's a favorite pastime in my immediate and extended families. We spend hours and hours on Thanksgiving, poring over photos and albums that belonged to our grandparents and parents, spanning the decades from about 1900 on.

I even like looking at other people's old family photos. :lol:
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Rock on with your bad self.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Be excellent to each other. ~ Abraham Lincoln

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Comments

• CurlyCanadianCurlyCanadian Posts: 10,904Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Connoisseur
    Love it! Also old diaries!

My Grandparents had just moved, and my Grandmother broken her leg when my Great Grandmother passed away. They had everything boxed up and sent to their house as she just wasn't able to go though it at the time.

My cousin and I pulled apart a few of the boxes this summer and found her old diaries. It was so much fun going through them, reading references to family members and events.

She would jot something down every day, the weather, someone who stopped by, where she shopped, a great deal on something.....so much fun to read!

There was an entry from one Christmas about my Grandmother being in a snit and refusing to visit anyone. My Grandmother explained how hard it was to do gifts, look after a farm, then spend the day traveling with 4 kids every year. She decided that that year they would stay home, and everyone who wanted could come visit them! She spent the morning in the bath with a martini and it was the best Christmas ever :lol:

Sorry for the guano :oops:
    I believe in manicures. I believe in overdressing. I believe in primping at leisure and wearing lipstick. I believe in pink. I believe that laughing is the best calorie burner. I believe in kissing, kissing a lot. I believe in being strong when everything seems to be going wrong. I believe that happy girls are the prettiest girls. I believe that tomorrow is another day and I believe in miracles.
    Audrey Hepburn
  • jeepcurlygurljeepcurlygurl Posts: 20,724Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Virtuoso
    Love it!
    When I moved my parents to a smaller place a few years ago I came across my dads collection of photos. Um, yea, there were about 43 billion pictures jumbled in an enormous box too heavy for me to lift. I managed to get it home and it took 3 weeks to sort them out. It was a blast (but hard work!).
    I gave my sisters, nieces, nephew each big piles of pics that they were in. I gave most of the really old ones to the sister who does our genealogy stuff. And I gave the rest back to my parents (mostly of their travels over the years. And also a huge stack of pictures my dad took of his cat Sunny. Made me smile to think he took so many pictures of that cat.)
    I don't have kids so I don't know what will happen to all my photos (printed and on the computer). Kind of sad really.

curlycanadian - that's a great story!
    --I'm located in Western PA.   --I found NC in late 2004, CG since February 2005, joined the forums in May 2005, started going grey in late 2005.   --My hair is 3B with some 3A, currently at mid back length when dry,  texture-medium/fine, porosity-top is low, middle is medium, ends are porous, elasticity-normal.   --My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, coconut oil, honey, vinegar.   
    --My CG and grey hair progress -  
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/going-gray/179328-jeepys-grey-hair-progress.html   
    --My article at NaturallyCurly about going grey - 
    https://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/color/how-i-went-completely-gray-and-loved-it
  • spiderlashes5000spiderlashes5000 Posts: 17,898Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    I esp enjoy seeing the old clothes and hairdos.

Did anyone else's family have a slide projector??? (Or a darkroom?) My father would develop the photographs he took made into pics and slides. And every chance he got, he'd run a slide show.

• kasdenkasden Posts: 1,045Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I love old family photos! I feel so sad for abandoned photos in antique stores/flea markets...I wanna give them a home!
    2c/3a, fine, low-med porosity, below BSL, mod CG since 9/09

"I'm fairly certain that given a cape and a nice tiara, I could save the world." - Leigh Standley
  • jeepcurlygurljeepcurlygurl Posts: 20,724Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Virtuoso
    One of the things we deal in at my job is old Civil War era photos. So interesting. Getting your picture taken back then was a very big deal. The furniture and backdrops at the photographer's studio were very ornate. Most people didn't have fancy clothes so they were provided by the photographer. When you come across a photo of a pet dog from that time period you know it had a wealthy owner. And it's very rare to find anyone smiling in these pics. Getting photographed was serious business and for many people it was frightening.

And yes, kasden, it's kind of sad knowing these photos are no longer with the family they belonged to.
    --I'm located in Western PA.   --I found NC in late 2004, CG since February 2005, joined the forums in May 2005, started going grey in late 2005.   --My hair is 3B with some 3A, currently at mid back length when dry,  texture-medium/fine, porosity-top is low, middle is medium, ends are porous, elasticity-normal.   --My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, coconut oil, honey, vinegar.   
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/going-gray/179328-jeepys-grey-hair-progress.html   
    https://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/color/how-i-went-completely-gray-and-loved-it
  • curlysue21curlysue21 Posts: 5,219Registered Users
    My mom made me and my sisters a photo CD from a bunch of old slides that she found and had transferred over. I thought it was a great gift idea!

My great aunt passed away 10 years ago and had many photos dating back to the 1800's of our family from my mom's side. My aunt had them photocopied onto regular paper into kind of a collage format. It was really great seeing all of my ancestors who I never knew I had!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]2b/c, medium/high porosity, medium/coarse texture
    Current HG: Kinky Curly errythang, GVPCB, LALSG

"I will never be the woman with perfect hair, who can wear white and not spill on it."

• M2LRM2LR Posts: 8,630Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Love it!

Too bad my uncle who is the ******* of the family has much of the family photos that came over here from Germany waaaaay back when. I have a few copies, which are okay.

My grandparents also had a small video camera of some kind where they taped their move from NY to CA back in 1963. That's cool to watch sometimes too...and there is a few clips of me as a baby in it, I was born in 1976 so they just kept taping and taping etc.
    :rambo:
  • SystemSystem Posts: 39,060 Administrator
    I have some great old photos. My favorite was in my grandmother's stuff. It was taken on a farm belonging to my grandmother's friend, and my g'ma and her three woman friends are each holding a chicken. It never fails to crack me up, because there they are in nice dresses, holding farm critters. I wish I knew why.
  • NetGNetG Posts: 8,116Registered Users
    Yes!

My uncle found a bunch of old slides, and would put them up on a projector for all of us to check out. For my grandma's last Hanukkah, we had a bunch of those and other photos hanging on the walls, around the house in albums, etc., digitized and put in an electronic frame for my grandma. She spent her last few months unable to get out of bed or get around much on her own, but would watch the photos flip through and just smile. :)

I'm attaching a pic of my grandma which was my favorite. She was hot!
    The pews never miss a sermon but that doesn't get them one step closer to Heaven.
    -Speckla

But at least the pews never attend yoga!
  • curlysue21curlysue21 Posts: 5,219Registered Users
    kabesue.jpg

Its not that old but here are me and my older sisters.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]2b/c, medium/high porosity, medium/coarse texture
    Current HG: Kinky Curly errythang, GVPCB, LALSG

"I will never be the woman with perfect hair, who can wear white and not spill on it."

• CurlyminxCurlyminx Posts: 5,581Registered Users
    I LOVE LOVE LOVE old family pictures.

My family and others.

I love looking at how styles were and change. THen you keep looking and you see your grandma wearing the same style blouse and you are wearing and you think: I guess things haven't changed that much! ;)
    tumblr_mk2chrdnQe1qzwi58o1_500.gif
    Mix of 3s, thick, coarse, medium porosity

Current hair styling technique: rake with a scrunch at the end. (works with my coarse hair)

http://public.fotki.com/curlymix/
    pw: curls

Known HGs: KCCC, homemade fsg, honey
    I love seeing everyone's pics. Netg - grandma was gorgeous.

This is a favorite of mine. My mom would be mortified to know I'm showing it but hey, it's been on Facebook for a long time. : )
    The boat in the backgrounds was a restaurant and dance hall across the lake from the local amusement park. The boat is gone but the amusement park is still limping along.
  • roseannadanaroseannadana Posts: 5,633Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I love it! The best things are letters and cards, though. I have letters that long ago family wrote to each other and I love the day to day commentary about things that may have seemed mundane to them.

I have a long gone great, great Aunt whose letters were like poetry when she wrote about how beautiful it was in the Ozarks.

I love reading them because it makes me feel like I know them.

I was born to be a pessimist. My blood type is B Negative.
  • geminigemini Posts: 3,325Registered Users
    I esp enjoy seeing the old clothes and hairdos.

Did anyone else's family have a slide projector??? (Or a darkroom?) My father would develop the photographs he took made into pics and slides. And every chance he got, he'd run a slide show.

Yes, we have a bunch! I complained that there were no baby photos of me, but upon discovering the vast number of slides, it appears I was a slideshow superstar.

We even have the carousel, but the power cord is missing! Ah!
    LOVVVVE THEM :love7:

My grandma (mom's side) has a box crammed full, people I have NEVER seen before. She can still identify just about every person in ALL of them, no matter how distant the relative.

Some of my favorites are of her and her school friends clowning for the camera....probably the 1930s...it's so funny how teens haven't really changed.

My dad's family home burned down when he was about 15. Almost all the really old family photos were destroyed. So there are not many around. But then one of my older uncles (my dad is the youngest of 14) revealed a treasure trove of photos he had. He had them all enlarged and framed, and one year at a reunion he brought all the frames and hung them up in my parent's rec room/shed.

It was SO great! One of the few times that side of the family really came together and had a good time--there is a lot of estrangement amongst them.
    kasden wrote: »
    I love old family photos! I feel so sad for abandoned photos in antique stores/flea markets...I wanna give them a home!

My great-grandparents (on my mom's side) moved from their farm into town, and left much of their stuff locked up in their old farmhouse. Someone broke into the farmhouse and stole ALL of their stuff.....lots of family photos, antiques belonging to my great-great grandparents, etc. I think the theft occurred not long before I was born (I was born in 1970, so I think it happened within 10 years of my birth).

I feel some type of bad way whenever I see old family photos up for bid on Ebay....I know it's silly, but I just do.
  • KookyCurlKookyCurl Posts: 1,980Registered Users

Me too! My plan when I have my own place (i.e more wall space) I am going to "adopt" those abandoned pics in flea markets and give them a new home. They will also get a new name and a backstory. I want a whole wall filled with my new "relatives."

My grandmother recently separated all her photos into albums for her kids and grand kids. They are super fun to go through.

Once I found an old album of my grandfathers pics he took during training in WWII. He passed away when I was 4 and my Gram didn't even remember it existed. I just found it out on a shelf. There's some rivalry between my dad's siblings so I borrowed the album and scanned all the pics (including some of the notes on the back) and gave it to my dad for his birthday a few years ago. This way no matter what happens it isn't lost to eternity. I think it may have been the best gift I ever gave my dad.
  • KookyCurlKookyCurl Posts: 1,980Registered Users
    One of the things we deal in at my job is old Civil War era photos. So interesting. Getting your picture taken back then was a very big deal. The furniture and backdrops at the photographer's studio were very ornate. Most people didn't have fancy clothes so they were provided by the photographer. When you come across a photo of a pet dog from that time period you know it had a wealthy owner. And it's very rare to find anyone smiling in these pics. Getting photographed was serious business and for many people it was frightening.

And yes, kasden, it's kind of sad knowing these photos are no longer with the family they belonged to.

It also took forever to get the exposure. Hard to hold a smile for that long let alone when your head is in some torturous stabilizing device!
    I have a big box of old family photos that don't belong to our family. My sister's FIL had a lady friend (after his wife died) who left them in his house and said she didn't want them back. When the FIL died, and the house was cleaned out and sold, I ended up with a lot of stuff because my sis and her husband live on the other side of the country.

Anyway, they are from the early 1900s and they are pics of people in two Swedish-American families (that I assume were later connected by marriage). Some first names are on the back, no last names, no way to trace any family members. They are such cool photos I just can't bring myself to toss them.

This is why my attic is such a disaster...
    KookyCurl wrote: »

Me too! My plan when I have my own place (i.e more wall space) I am going to "adopt" those abandoned pics in flea markets and give them a new home. They will also get a new name and a backstory. I want a whole wall filled with my new "relatives."

When I die I hope someone like you guys adopts my photos and makes me part of their family. : )
  • kasdenkasden Posts: 1,045Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    KookyCurl wrote: »

When I die I hope someone like you guys adopts my photos and makes me part of their family. : )

I'd be honored to have you and your photos as my family! Just think...in 100 years from now, someone will be looking at the photos of you on a Harley saying "that was my great, great aunt Jeepy! She was hot!!!"
    2c/3a, fine, low-med porosity, below BSL, mod CG since 9/09

"I'm fairly certain that given a cape and a nice tiara, I could save the world." - Leigh Standley
    :D I would love to be their great great auntie.
  • TRBLTRBL Posts: 5,294Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    hey Jeepie.... yomamma is HAWWWT.
    (but not as hot as you)
    When I grow up, I wanna be a Jiujitsu Turtle!

My british name, courtesy of Ninja Dog Shade Haven-Staffordshire: TRBL Hough Jewelstone Turtleneck

Its chaos a few hairs at a time. ~Minxy

"Dispute not with her: she is lunatic." -Richard III
  • PartyHairPartyHair Posts: 7,713Registered Users
    I love it! The best things are letters and cards, though. I have letters that long ago family wrote to each other and I love the day to day commentary about things that may have seemed mundane to them.

I have a long gone great, great Aunt whose letters were like poetry when she wrote about how beautiful it was in the Ozarks.

I love reading them because it makes me feel like I know them.

My mom's maternal grandmother came here from Germany when she was 16 years old, in the 1880s. She kept up a raging postcard exchange with cousins and siblings back home, as well as with friends and family here. They lived out on a farm, so for much of the year there was no visiting because the roads were impassable...hence the postcards to friends/family who lived just a few miles away.

My great grandma kept all the postcards in photo albums and it is one of the greatest joys of my life to look at them.

My dad's mom, despite only having a 6th grade education, kept extensive records of nearly everything - budget, money brought in as a result of her doing others' laundry and ironing, money brought in by her older kids (this was during the Depression - everyone pitched in), how much EVERYTHING cost, how she spent her ration coupons, etc., etc. It's just fascinating. My cousin Melissa wanted Grandma's salt-and-pepper shaker collection; I wanted those account books!
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
  • PartyHairPartyHair Posts: 7,713Registered Users
    I actually buy old college yearbooks I find at book sales and rummage sales and stuff. I feel sorry for them! :lol: I have this embarrasingly huge collection of college yearbooks from all over the US. People say, "Oh, is that your college? No? Did the yearbooks belong to a family member, perhaps? No? Are you nuts, lady?!" ;)
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file