B of A customers PSA

~Ghost Poster~~Ghost Poster~ Posts: 2,264Registered Users
There was a security breach and an untold number of card numbers/personal info was stolen by an individual recently. This person has been making what I assume are "test" purchases of small items on these cards and actually sending them to the owners' homes, my guess is to feel out which people watch their accounts closely. I assume he/she will then go on to fraudulently make large purchases or continue to make small purchases for him/herself on these accounts. I can't come up with any other scenario other than for kicks.

Be vigilant! I found a small $10 purchase to my account made this weekend that no one in my household would claim. I called the company and discovered that it was a flash drive that was being shipped to me!?! I obtained the email account to whom the account was registered--which was not mine or that of anyone connected to me. Then I called the bank, and they told me of the breach. They have been trying to contact everyone, but obviously they can't.

Sure makes the "I hate banks" argument much stronger.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]d575b15bb0aa40deb59950570e3268e7.gif
Baby fine, honey & caramel hilites, 4a/3c now 2b w/DIY BKT & LOVIN' it.
Cowash-V05 Extra Body
L'oreal EP Moisture-Rinse-out
JFLVM
BRHG mix w/
KCCC/KCKT (winter)
Clean-smelling-hair freak washes EOD; dry w/bowl diffuser
Cassia+henna+grays=Gold-red hilites :love1:
~That you don't share my experiences/opinions doesn't invalidate them :wink:
I wondered if it tasted like a hot dog. ~Phoenix

Comments

• MimsTXMimsTX Posts: 3,482Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Fan-freakin-tastic. Thanks for the heads up, I guess I'm off to monitor my account now... stupid banks...
    CG/Mod CG (soap bars) since 8/12/08
    CO wash/Cond: Kathymack & Flowermoon Castille soap bars, V05 Chamomile Tea, Suave Ocean Breeze, Biolage Conditioning Balm
    Styling loves: DIFFUSING! CK, KCNT, KCCC, FOTE (on dry hair only), Re:coil, Proclaim gel
    Not sure about: Boots, Tweek, KBB Milk, DMHJ
    HATE: plopping, FOTE on wet hair, BRHG
  • WileE-DeadWileE-Dead Banned Posts: 24,963Banned Users Curl Neophyte
    Yep, this happened to us while we were in/before Jamaica mon, no less.....grrrrrr:evil:
    This was not w/ BOA, tho they always make us change our p/w, etc periodically...
    0004.gif

Ever since the sports thread wars I have sensed a special connection between [edit] & Wile. Like the connection oil has to water. I almost can't speak of it. Wait....my eyes are misting. ~asq
    Let’s just stay together and tell the world to kiss our ass. ~P

• ~Ghost Poster~~Ghost Poster~ Posts: 2,264Registered Users
    Oh, ok. I was going to say, this was a recent breach. Changing my password likely wouldn't have helped. They had access to my name, home address AND my card number, and, last I checked, they also must have had the 3-digit security code on the back of the card...which is odd because that's not available simply by accessing the account. This was a higher-up, more sophisticated security breach.

What I meant to say initially is that this strongly reinforces the "keep your money under your mattress and pay cash for everything" belief. I always monitor my accounts very closely anyway, but clearly we are always vulnerable to attack regardless. I may have to rethink this whole thing. This person could have cleaned me out. Or, could have used the info to attack my family and me physically had our accounts shown us to be wealthy. Needless to say, this was a very disturbing situation, especially when I discovered that the person was having the item shipped to my home address. That freaked me the f**k out. It also made me turn a very suspicious eye toward my son because I couldn't think of any other explanation, but I knew in my heart that he wasn't lying, so I accepted him at his word and continued my investigation. Yet another reason to be pissed off.
    Cowash-V05 Extra Body
    JFLVM
    BRHG mix w/
    KCCC/KCKT (winter)
    So, yes, I just went to the site where the order was placed, created an account and began to place an order, and it did ask for the credit card security code.
    Cowash-V05 Extra Body
    JFLVM
    BRHG mix w/
    KCCC/KCKT (winter)
    Yeah, that could be.
    I do know that 2 CC I've had since the 80s, I had to dispute charges.
    Never had to do that until this year...ever....freaky!
    Had no probs getting a refund, tho I am one of those that always checks my stuff...
    I will not pay something I didn't charge, even tho the disputes were, oh, so painful! Don't know if you saw my post about that...arrgghhhhhh :evil:
    I'm not worried about my credit, it's just really aggravating.
    These crooks are getting more & more savy every day...we've gotta stay on 'em..... :evil2:
    0004.gif

Ever since the sports thread wars I have sensed a special connection between [edit] & Wile. Like the connection oil has to water. I almost can't speak of it. Wait....my eyes are misting. ~asq

• Who Me?Who Me? Posts: 3,181Registered Users
    I owe you one. Seriously, if there's ever a curl gathering, I'm buying you a beer.

I just checked my account and there was a charge for just under $10 from an online merchant posted on Monday that I definitely didn't make. I just got off the phone with the bank, they're taking care of it. The phone number for the merchant didn't work.
    "I don't know! I don't know why I did it, I don't know why I enjoyed it, and I don't know why I'll do it again!" -BART SIMPSON
    Who Me? wrote: »
    I owe you one. Seriously, if there's ever a curl gathering, I'm buying you a beer.

I just checked my account and there was a charge for just under $10 from an online merchant posted on Monday that I definitely didn't make. I just got off the phone with the bank, they're taking care of it. The phone number for the merchant didn't work.

:occasion5: Consider the "debt" paid!

My repayment is knowing that you caught it. Was the merchant 2000Digital.com, by any chance?
    Cowash-V05 Extra Body
    JFLVM
    BRHG mix w/
    KCCC/KCKT (winter)
    Yeah, that could be.
    I do know that 2 CC I've had since the 80s, I had to dispute charges.
    Never had to do that until this year...ever....freaky!
    Had no probs getting a refund, tho I am one of those that always checks my stuff...
    I will not pay something I didn't charge, even tho the disputes were, oh, so painful! Don't know if you saw my post about that...arrgghhhhhh :evil:
    I'm not worried about my credit, it's just really aggravating.
    These crooks are getting more & more savy every day...we've gotta stay on 'em..... :evil2:

No I don't think I saw that. I was already oh high alert this weekend because there was already a "pending" card transaction for some dentist's office in another state that was not mine, but it dropped off after 3 days without being paid. Unfortunately, there is no dentist by that name in that very small town for me to call and investigate. May have just been a data entry error, but what a coincidence. The charge was also for an amount almost identical to that of the fraudulent purchase.

Mattress...in-home safe...buried tin can in the backyard...jus' sayin' :dj:
    Cowash-V05 Extra Body
    JFLVM
    BRHG mix w/
    KCCC/KCKT (winter)
    Oh, yeah, we had that pending carp on our CC before we left for Jamaica mon.
    Hubby was like, did you? I said, no.
    We watched it.
    So, we get to the island & before we left we had a cancellation of that card, plus tg he had his backup CC.
    I told him, this is why you always, always have a back up CC.
    The resort was awesome, tho the only prob we had was getting double charged on an upgrade for our flight back.
    As far as I know, that was solved :dontknow:
    0004.gif

Who Me? wrote: »

:occasion5: Consider the "debt" paid!

My repayment is knowing that you caught it. Was the merchant 2000Digital.com, by any chance?

nope, apparel24hours.com
    "I don't know! I don't know why I did it, I don't know why I enjoyed it, and I don't know why I'll do it again!" -BART SIMPSON
  • EllyEllyOxenFreeEllyEllyOxenFree Posts: 6,446Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    OMG WOW!!!! The EXACT same thing happened to me!!!! I thought it was because I had signed up for Swagbucks. There were two $10 charges made to my debit card - one for a production company and one for an electronics company online. I called BOA and they told me NOTHING about the breach - they just said they would send me a new card and freeze my account. Damn!
    BC'ed: 26 Dec 09
    YouTube
    Grand Duchess Fierce Freckles, Mistress of the Mighty Snap and Doyenne of the Potent Products Pavane in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
  • Rubber BiscuitRubber Biscuit Posts: 1,294Registered Users
    Are these transactions occurring on Debit Cards or Credit Cards or both? I no longer have a checking account with BoA (whew!) but I still have a (nearly maxed out, but still) credit card with them... Off to check now anyways :evil:
    - Seek first to understand, then to be understood.
    - Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you.
    Debit card for me.

And also BoA said nothing about a problem that's affecting people besides me, or a breach, even when I mentioned something to them about having heard something!
  • EllyEllyOxenFreeEllyEllyOxenFree Posts: 6,446Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Ditto mine was on my debit.
    BC'ed: 26 Dec 09
    YouTube
    Grand Duchess Fierce Freckles, Mistress of the Mighty Snap and Doyenne of the Potent Products Pavane in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
    ellepixie wrote: »
    OMG WOW!!!! The EXACT same thing happened to me!!!! I thought it was because I had signed up for Swagbucks. There were two $10 charges made to my debit card - one for a production company and one for an electronics company online. I called BOA and they told me NOTHING about the breach - they just said they would send me a new card and freeze my account. Damn!

Was the electronics store named 2000Digital? I'm just curious if these merchants are part of the scam as well. 2000Digital *seems* legit on the surface.

I'm sure the bank associate got her hand slapped when she got off the phone with me for being so candid about what had happened. That's some seriously bad press for the bank and for banks in general. It's got me reconsidering my own situation. I do think, however, that regardless of bad press, it's their responsibility to publicly notify all customers of this serious security breach in an attempt to reach as many customers as possible.

It was a debit card in my case, too.
    Cowash-V05 Extra Body
    JFLVM
    BRHG mix w/
    KCCC/KCKT (winter)
    This is why I NEVER do debit.........nooooo
    Tho it was electronics, but that was hubby's deal :dontknow:
    0004.gif

This is why I NEVER do debit.........nooooo
    Tho it was electronics, but that was hubby's deal :dontknow:

Yeah, yeah...:boxing: :laughing6:

I just sent them an email voicing my opinion about their handling of this matter. AKA: :banghead:
    Cowash-V05 Extra Body
    JFLVM
    BRHG mix w/
    KCCC/KCKT (winter)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file