Planning Trip to Ireland. Any Recommendations?

FairlyCurlyFairlyCurly Posts: 839Registered Users
I had been planning a trip to Great Britain for next summer, but my friends backed out of it b/c it was proving to be too costly for our budget. Instead, we've decided to plan a trip to Ireland b/c it seems less expensive than GB.

I've only been to Northern Ireland, but not the Republic of Ireland. Can anyone recommend places to visit and things to do in Ireland (both the Republic and Northern Ireland)? I've heard that southern, western and northwestern Ireland are the most popular regions to visit. I'm thinking of Cork, Donegal and Galway.

Any suggestions from anyone who lives there or has been there?
3a/3b, Fine, low porosity.

Comments

• spiderlashes5000spiderlashes5000 Posts: 17,898Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    Fairewood wrote: »
    I had been planning a trip to Great Britain for next summer, but my friends backed out of it b/c it was proving to be too costly for our budget. Instead, we've decided to plan a trip to Ireland b/c it seems less expensive than GB.

I've only been to Northern Ireland, but not the Republic of Ireland. Can anyone recommend places to visit and things to do in Ireland (both the Republic and Northern Ireland)? I've heard that southern, western and northwestern Ireland are the most popular regions to visit. I'm thinking of Cork, Donegal and Galway.

Any suggestions from anyone who lives there or has been there?

Most of my time was spent in Dublin...tho I have travelled all over Ireland and Northern Ireland and other parts of the UK. I would recommend Dublin. It has really come into its own in the past 20 years and everyone who has been there has loved it (tho it was great even before). The Dandelion, the Liffey, St. Stephen's Green, Grafton Street, Dublin Zoo, Dublin Castle, Phoenix Park, take the DART to Bray and hang out at the beach/amusements.

• MimsTXMimsTX Posts: 3,482Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Dublin was fun, but very similar to any "bigger city" that I've been to so it doesn't stick out in my mind as all that fantastic :/ I know i had fun though lol

I spent most of my time up in the northeastern part of the country and really enjoyed it, but it's very much a country living type experience. I was staying with a friend's family, so it was really cool but I don't know that there's much in the way of touristy things to do. The scenary, however, was GORGEOUS. Up by Dundalk, in a tiny little town called Omeath.

I've heard lots of good things about Cork, and Kerry both, they're on my plans for the next time I'm able to visit for sure :)
    CG/Mod CG (soap bars) since 8/12/08
    CO wash/Cond: Kathymack & Flowermoon Castille soap bars, V05 Chamomile Tea, Suave Ocean Breeze, Biolage Conditioning Balm
    Styling loves: DIFFUSING! CK, KCNT, KCCC, FOTE (on dry hair only), Re:coil, Proclaim gel
    Not sure about: Boots, Tweek, KBB Milk, DMHJ
    HATE: plopping, FOTE on wet hair, BRHG
  • MiseMise Posts: 346Registered Users
    How long are you planning to stay and are you renting a car for your trip? If you're not, you'll be limited outside of cities in your travelling options (aside from coach tours).

I would recommend the west of Ireland. Never been to Donegal myself, but I've heard it's beautiful, and pics I've seen would concur. I would suggest Galway, Connemara, Cliffs of Moher, Kerry (avoid the Ring of Kerry trips, expensive tourist trap), and Clare. If you can get out to the Islands, even better.

On the east coast, Dublin of course, Kilkenny, Louth. Depending on what you're interested in, (Louth for more historic reasons), but Dublin has a lot to see and do too, just avoid the Guinness Tour, been told its a waste, but the Jameson one is supposedly good.

Down the North, Belfast is lovely, as is the coast of Antrim, the giants causeway is worth a seeing.

Just a warning, but Ireland is not less expensive than the UK, especially if you stick around Dublin.

Plus, depending on how long you are staying, you can always get a cheap flight to the UK for a day or two. Edinburgh is lovely and you can shop til you drop in London!

Feel free to PM with questions :)
    Think I'm 3b-ish...maybe some 3a there too...plus wavy roots....I'm just a mixed bag!:D CG since August '05
  • TRBLTRBL Posts: 5,294Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Drink beer for me (I prefer Murphy's to Guinness [not that I'd turn down either]).
    Someday I will travel again.
    When I grow up, I wanna be a Jiujitsu Turtle!

My british name, courtesy of Ninja Dog Shade Haven-Staffordshire: TRBL Hough Jewelstone Turtleneck

Its chaos a few hairs at a time. ~Minxy

"Dispute not with her: she is lunatic." -Richard III
  • FairlyCurlyFairlyCurly Posts: 839Registered Users
    Mise wrote: »
    How long are you planning to stay and are you renting a car for your trip? If you're not, you'll be limited outside of cities in your travelling options (aside from coach tours).

I would recommend the west of Ireland. Never been to Donegal myself, but I've heard it's beautiful, and pics I've seen would concur. I would suggest Galway, Connemara, Cliffs of Moher, Kerry (avoid the Ring of Kerry trips, expensive tourist trap), and Clare. If you can get out to the Islands, even better.

On the east coast, Dublin of course, Kilkenny, Louth. Depending on what you're interested in, (Louth for more historic reasons), but Dublin has a lot to see and do too, just avoid the Guinness Tour, been told its a waste, but the Jameson one is supposedly good.

Down the North, Belfast is lovely, as is the coast of Antrim, the giants causeway is worth a seeing.

Just a warning, but Ireland is not less expensive than the UK, especially if you stick around Dublin.

Plus, depending on how long you are staying, you can always get a cheap flight to the UK for a day or two. Edinburgh is lovely and you can shop til you drop in London!

Thanks! We're renting a car and plan to stay for about two weeks. My friends want to land in Shannon and stay North, West and South. I don't think we'll make it over to Dublin.

I went to Northern Ireland two years ago and loved it. We went all over the place there. The area around Derry/Londonderry was beautiful.
  • MiseMise Posts: 346Registered Users
    Sounds like a fun trip. Definitely landing in Shannon is the best option if you're not heading east. You'll be right in Clare, where the Cliffs of Moher are, which I would highly recommend. The views are stunning in my opinion. And the Burren is worth a look, if just for the landscape (stark and beautiful) and Poulnabrone (megalithic portal dolmen)

....man, I have got to get home more often! You're making me miss it :)
    Think I'm 3b-ish...maybe some 3a there too...plus wavy roots....I'm just a mixed bag!:D CG since August '05
  • StarmieStarmie Posts: 7,169Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    We went last year, had a few days on the Antrim Coast which was beautiful and then a few days in Dublin. Have been in the past to Donegal, Cork, Limerick, Kerry, Galway and Bray. Dublin, last year, was far, far busier than I remembered it and I almost wish I hadn't gone as I preferred my earlier visits. Of the other places, the only one I wouldn't visit again is Limerick, really didn't like the place at all. I loved the Ring of Kerry, even on a bus trip - met some very nice Americans(!), Galway is a lovely little town and we did a trip from there to the Arran Isles (?islands) which, once we'd got over the seasickness of an unfortunately choppy crossing, was stunning. Donegal was wild and windy, but again stunning scenery. I can't picture Cork any more (25 yrs ago!) but I know I liked it and think I visited Blarney Castle from there. Sometimes the touristy things can be fun!
    3b in South Australia.
  • zmanzzzzzmanzzzz Banned Posts: 3,826Banned Users
    golf
  • LotsawavesLotsawaves Posts: 9,775Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    My recommendation is to take me. Please, please, pretty please. Is there a begging smiley? I'm Irish and I've never been there. I'm also Scottish, so you can take me there, as well.

I don't want much. I just want more.:joker:
    From Michael Berg:

Every person has a unique connection to the Creator that can never be extinguished, and every person has a great soul that can manifest important things in our world. To make a person feel less than they are because of something inside themselves, be it faith, race, or sexual orientation, is the greatest sin of all."
  • VerityVerity Posts: 616Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Ring of Kerry.
  • afrosheenqueenafrosheenqueen Posts: 5,400Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Sounds like a fun trip. Definitely landing in Shannon is the best option if you're not heading east. You'll be right in Clare, where the Cliffs of Moher are, which I would highly recommend. The views are stunning in my opinion.

I agree! I went 15 years ago now but it was very beautiful there.

We also went to a castle there near Shannon that had a nightly royal court/renaissance-festival type show. The sang songs while we drank mead and had a feast. That was fun.
    4a/b Texlaxed hair w/ highlights. Medium texture & high porosity.

HG's: CJ Daily Fix, Bobeam Cheris Hibiscus shampoo bar, KC Spiral Spritz, Knot Today, CJ Rehab, KBB LL Hair Mask, Cassia, KCCC, oil blend of Avocado, Camellia, Jojoba, & Meadowfoam oils

SL APL BSL MBL
  • rouquinnerouquinne Posts: 13,734Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    my family is originally from Cork by way of Dublin, so most of what i would recommend is on the east side of the country.

i remember being absolutely fascinated by Glendalough when i was a child. that the tower and the ruin of a church were built by actual "vikings" thrilled me.

and if you're any kind of history buff, a trip to Temair na Ri (the Hill of Tara) is a necessity. it's in county Meath is reputed to be the ancient home of the High Kings of Ireland.

My blog:

http://labellatestarossa.blogspot.ca/

Little Mother of all the Roaches, President-for-Life of the MAC Harlots!
    rouquinne wrote: »
    my family is originally from Cork by way of Dublin, so most of what i would recommend is on the east side of the country.

i remember being absolutely fascinated by Glendalough when i was a child. that the tower and the ruin of a church were built by actual "vikings" thrilled me.

and if you're any kind of history buff, a trip to Temair na Ri (the Hill of Tara) is a necessity. it's in county Meath is reputed to be the ancient home of the High Kings of Ireland.
    We went to Glendalough over 20 years ago - spent a very pleasant, peaceful afternoon there, I swear we saw only two other groups of people, it was lovely. Fast forward to last year and we thought we'd have a return visit with the kids and mil. Nightmare. We couldn't even get parked, it was so busy even the overflow carpark was full, so disappointing that it was so different from what we'd experienced before.
    3b in South Australia.
  • The New BlackThe New Black Posts: 16,754Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    montage-3.gif No MAS.

I am the new Black.

"Hope the Mail are saving space tomorrow for Samantha Brick's reaction piece on the reactions to her piece about the reactions to her piece." ~ Tweet reposted by Rou.
  • medussamedussa Posts: 12,993Registered Users
    Fairewood wrote: »

Thanks! We're renting a car and plan to stay for about two weeks. My friends want to land in Shannon and stay North, West and South. I don't think we'll make it over to Dublin.

I went to Northern Ireland two years ago and loved it. We went all over the place there. The area around Derry/Londonderry was beautiful.

I vacationed in Ireland for a month in June 1990. Our home base was in Athy, Co. Kildare, which is about 40 miles outside of Dublin. We rented a car and drove along the coast of the country. Places I recommend are: Ring of Kerry (we got the see the Dingle Dolphin), Newgrange, Giants Causeway, the Cliffs of Moher and the Carrick-a-Rede, if you don't have a fear of heights. Same goes for the Cliffs of Moher. We also hit the Guinness Brewery in Dublin. We stayed at B&Bs the entire time and had a lovely time. I really want to go back someday.

Have a wonderful time!
  • FairlyCurlyFairlyCurly Posts: 839Registered Users
    I bought my ticket to Shannon yesterday! I'm going to Ireland! I'm so excited! :hello1: :hello1: Thanks, everyone, for your suggestions. We're mixing it up with our accommodations - some self-catering cottages and some really nice hotels - and we got a good deal on the car rental.

I can't drink Guinness b/c of health reasons, but I will do an Irish dance (shouldn't be doing that, either) or kiss the Blarney Stone on behalf of all the curlies I know here.
    Oh, I'm jealous, I'd love to be going back. When are you going? Hope the weather's kind to you.
    3b in South Australia.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file