check out this vintage bridal gown

It is 1904 wedding gown made entirely out of Brussels lace

1904weddingdress.jpg

It belonged to the bride's great-grandmother.

Here is the bride wearing the dress, I LOVE her overall look. With some brides, their look doesn't always "go" quite right with the vintage gown they're wearing.

I think it's her hair and makeup. She doesn't look too plain, but she doesn't look too "costume-y" either. I can't believe how old the dress is!!!

60125_163454280338138_100000207000933_568500_891439_n.jpg

Here's the website if anyone wants to see other vintage clothing:

http://sensibility.com/vintageimages/

Comments

• kat180kat180 Posts: 6,280Registered Users Curl Novice
    Wow that is a gorgeous dress and great shape! Lucky woman! :D

Just saw the sepia photo on the website. Beautiful! She looked gorgeous and totally out of an 1900s wedding, but she doesn't look over done/too costume-y like you said!
  • adorame06adorame06 Posts: 572Registered Users
    That is a beautiful dress! I agree that the bride pulled the vintage look off real well, not overdone at all.
    CG on 2/16/2010
    My curls looks like the 3a pictures
    Hair length is to my bra strap, it's fine textured, but the density is thick, not much elasticity, Naturally Blonde but Color treated because of graying going on

My hair loves
    coconut oil
    Homemade FSG
    Hair one for my co wash
    Ecostyler olive oil

Princess Brandy Brat, Chief Jewel Crafter and Royal Nanny to the Court of the Red and White Rose for the Order of the Curly Crusaders.
  • WileE-DeadWileE-Dead Banned Posts: 24,963Banned Users Curl Neophyte
    Wow...that's awesome!
    I have my gm gown from I think 1927.
    I was also married in my mom's from 1958... :cool:
    possessedbride1ky6.jpg
    0004.gif

Ever since the sports thread wars I have sensed a special connection between [edit] & Wile. Like the connection oil has to water. I almost can't speak of it. Wait....my eyes are misting. ~asq
    Let’s just stay together and tell the world to kiss our ass. ~P

• PartyHairPartyHair Posts: 7,713Registered Users
    Her hairstyle absolutely would've worked in 1904, based on the pictures I've seen of my own grandmothers.

The dress is lovely, and the bride lovelier. :)
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Rock on with your bad self.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Be excellent to each other. ~ Abraham Lincoln

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
  • RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Posts: 31,259Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    What a beautiful bride (and dress). It's refreshing to see a bride who broke away from the almost-always-not-flattering strapless fashion trend.

WileE, I can't tell if you were a beautiful bride or not...how about a pic where you don't erase your face...
    I assure you I was :toothy8:
    Maybe one of these days if I get brave enough, I'll share a pic...
    other curlies can vouch for me...

:eye:
    0004.gif

Ever since the sports thread wars I have sensed a special connection between [edit] & Wile. Like the connection oil has to water. I almost can't speak of it. Wait....my eyes are misting. ~asq

• Scuba GalScuba Gal Posts: 383Registered Users
    What a beautiful bride (and dress). It's refreshing to see a bride who broke away from the almost-always-not-flattering strapless fashion trend.

WileE, I can't tell if you were a beautiful bride or not...how about a pic where you don't erase your face...

ouch.
  • Rubber BiscuitRubber Biscuit Posts: 1,294Registered Users
    *swooooon* How gorgeous?!
    - Seek first to understand, then to be understood.
    - Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you.
  • fig jamfig jam Posts: 2,555Registered Users
    What a beautiful dress. It's amazing that something as delicate as lace held up so well for so many years.

I was married in my mother's wedding gown, ca. 1942 -- it was elegantly plain, heavy ivory satin with a cathedral-length train. It was in fantastic shape (and still is!). I couldn't have found (nor afforded) a more beautiful dress -- especially in the year I was married (1977 -- not a great style year).

Everyone who sees the photographs (and those who saw me then) commented on the beautiful dress. If I ever get a scanner, I'll show the dress to you.

I think it's also a wonderful gesture, if you like the dress, to the original bride.
    "Tell me, are you incapable of restraining yourself, or do you take pride in being an insufferable know-it-all?"

"Honey Badger don't care!"
  • geminigemini Posts: 3,325Registered Users
    Scuba Gal wrote: »

ouch.

Yeah, gotta love the dig on others while praising something else. The strapless ballgown worked well for me--I have toned arms and shoulders, but my legs? Not so much. :lol:

I love things like this and it is cool that some people still have some of the older gowns (and the dresses are still in good shape). Pixie also wore her grandma's gown and looked beautiful in it.
  • charlesallencharlesallen Posts: 6Registered Users
    The dress is simply looking great. I am surprised to see that such designers were exist in that era too. Great Work (Y)
  • kat180kat180 Posts: 6,280Registered Users Curl Novice
    The dress is simply looking great. I am surprised to see that such designers were exist in that era too. Great Work (Y)

Huh?
  • CanItBeChristineCanItBeChristine Posts: 6,343Registered Users
    fig jam wrote: »
    What a beautiful dress. It's amazing that something as delicate as lace held up so well for so many years.

I was married in my mother's wedding gown, ca. 1942 -- it was elegantly plain, heavy ivory satin with a cathedral-length train. It was in fantastic shape (and still is!). I couldn't have found (nor afforded) a more beautiful dress -- especially in the year I was married (1977 -- not a great style year).

Everyone who sees the photographs (and those who saw me then) commented on the beautiful dress. If I ever get a scanner, I'll show the dress to you.

I think it's also a wonderful gesture, if you like the dress, to the original bride.

I would LOVE to see a photo of it! I absolutely love the styled of the 1940's.
  • *Marah**Marah* Posts: 8,032Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Wow.. that dress is amazing. I could see it now in all black!!!! :toothy3: I love the entire look on the bride..her hair, makeup, veil...

Wile! Great dress. I had a long one like that too.. but mine was short sleeved. I can't.stand.long.sleeves. and knew I couldn't go for that all day in hot azz Jamaica.
    tumblr_m9jonzYZmu1re7hjjo1_250.jpg
  • VerityVerity Posts: 616Registered Users Curl Neophyte

I was about to post the same thing!

I love long sleeves and I had a fall wedding so I could wear them.
    Wow.. that dress is amazing. I could see it now in all black!!!! :toothy3: I love the entire look on the bride..her hair, makeup, veil...

Wile! Great dress. I had a long one like that too.. but mine was short sleeved. I can't.stand.long.sleeves. and knew I couldn't go for that all day in hot azz Jamaica.
    Thanks, girl! :toothy4:
    I didn't want to drastically alter the dress & really did love the long sleeves. The only thing that had to be done was to hem it a bit. It also had all those gobs of buttons in the back...not a zipper w/ fake buttons, so it was tons of fun getting/peeling out of! :laughing4:
    This was in H-town, in Aug & when we got to the reception, the a/c was not working properly, so that was quite the experience! :o
    0004.gif

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file