Is Bee Mine's Curly Butter JUST Shea/Aloe?

ChloesCurlyChloesCurly Registered Users Posts: 54
I contacted Bee Mine about their Curly Butter and inquired about the ingredients. Now, I'll let ya'll know..I've dabbled in product making before and once upon a time I used to have an etsy so I know the ends and out of this product making thing, and all the added stuff that goes with it.

Anyway, I emailed them about the preservative and emulsifier that they HAVE to use in their curly butter for it to be uniform and be preserved. They responded back just telling me the list of ingredients from their site. I responded back letting them know up front that basically....I ain't Boo Boo The Fool, and I know that a mixture of "100% shea" and "100% aloe gel" has to have an emulsifier and definitely a preservative to work together. They didn't respond back.

I'm not a crazy customer (online there are MORE than none) and I dont like to jab or spread mess about product lines...matter of fact I HATE that since I know how it feels to be on the other end...but as a customer I also dont like to be played for a damn fool. And if I tell someone up front that I have issues with certain chemicals...and they KNOW they're ingredient list is not accurate, I'd rather them at least let me know that the product would not be right for me instead of steering me back to the same product.

So before I get pissed off and log this line away as yet another one playing foul....do yall have a preservative or an emulsifier of some kind on ya'll curly butter labels? The emulsfier really doesn't matter as much ( I suspect it's a polysorbate of some kind or maybe_though I doubt it_ lecithin)...but I dont like to use Urea or parabens of any kind anywhere near my head (and I let Bee Mine know I had issues with chemicals up front)

Comments

• EfuruEfuru Registered Users Posts: 169
    You could try looking on youtube for reviews (the people reviewing usually list all the ingredients) though I doubt it has Urea or any parabens.

They might have been that way with you because they are trying to protect their (sooper sekrit) recipe. I remember that in the early days, people would find out the ingredients of certain products and try to sell their own bootleg versions (disclaimer: I am not accusing you of that).
    CoilyCurlyWavyKinks in the UK!:headbang:
    Hair type
    : High density/low porosity/fine-coarse/medium strands
    Current aim: Growing out henna

event.png
  • your cheezinessyour cheeziness Registered Users Posts: 38
    I've always thought, for the most part, that those butter type products contain extras for fragrance and texture. I think it's just the convenience of not making it yourself that attracts some people. I prefer to make my own because I'm cheap!
    Hair Type: Mine!
    BC @ 23 weeks on 7/22/2010
    comicp-vi.jpg
  • EllyEllyOxenFreeEllyEllyOxenFree Registered Users Posts: 6,446 Curl Neophyte
    She could have 100% shea in there, but the aloe most likely has the preservatives. But, it's not wrong to call it 100% aloe vera gel. It's like the Fruit of the Earth Gel - the bottle says in BIG letters - 100% aloe gel, but if you look at the back there are clearly preservatives and a thickener in it.

Whatever she puts in it, it works well! She may not list everything so people can't mimic her recipe.
    BC'ed: 26 Dec 09
    YouTube
    Grand Duchess Fierce Freckles, Mistress of the Mighty Snap and Doyenne of the Potent Products Pavane in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
  • 3c4d7zwhatevs3c4d7zwhatevs Registered Users Posts: 1,589
    I've always thought, for the most part, that those butter type products contain extras for fragrance and texture. I think it's just the convenience of not making it yourself that attracts some people. I prefer to make my own because I'm cheap!
    Here here! I read the ingreds and did see the generic mention of preservatives and when people don't list all the ingreds it's just a red flag for me. I wanted to try something from Bee Mine and I looked and said, "Sh*t, I can make that myself"
    4a/3c curls
    Fine strands, not as densely-placed as I would like
    Ayurvedic herbs are the TRUTH
    Team Wash and Go!
    iHerb code:UYA010 - get 5% off your first purchase
  • hippychichippychic Registered Users Posts: 4,673 Curl Neophyte
    I contacted Bee Mine about their Curly Butter and inquired about the ingredients. Now, I'll let ya'll know..I've dabbled in product making before and once upon a time I used to have an etsy so I know the ends and out of this product making thing, and all the added stuff that goes with it.

Anyway, I emailed them about the preservative and emulsifier that they HAVE to use in their curly butter for it to be uniform and be preserved. They responded back just telling me the list of ingredients from their site. I responded back letting them know up front that basically....I ain't Boo Boo The Fool, and I know that a mixture of "100% shea" and "100% aloe gel" has to have an emulsifier and definitely a preservative to work together. They didn't respond back.

I'm not a crazy customer (online there are MORE than none) and I dont like to jab or spread mess about product lines...matter of fact I HATE that since I know how it feels to be on the other end...but as a customer I also dont like to be played for a damn fool. And if I tell someone up front that I have issues with certain chemicals...and they KNOW they're ingredient list is not accurate, I'd rather them at least let me know that the product would not be right for me instead of steering me back to the same product.

So before I get pissed off and log this line away as yet another one playing foul....do yall have a preservative or an emulsifier of some kind on ya'll curly butter labels? The emulsfier really doesn't matter as much ( I suspect it's a polysorbate of some kind or maybe_though I doubt it_ lecithin)...but I dont like to use Urea or parabens of any kind anywhere near my head (and I let Bee Mine know I had issues with chemicals up front)
    i agree with you 1000% about accurate labeling:evil:. i really don't like purchasing unless i have an accurate ingredient label. secret ingredients don't fly with me! it's possible her *aloe vera gel* is a combination of aloe barbadensis leaf juice and acrylates/c-10 alkyl acrylates. this would explain the consistency more than just *aloe vera gel* as listed.

however, i still don't see a preservative. if she is using a commercial aloe vera gel already preserved, all ingredients that go into said product should be listed.
    LOIS (OS); cottony, TYPE 4 hair, fine/med strands; no cones bcz my hair hates them; last relaxer '98; now low porosity:?, ignores most natural hair rules; BC #8

faves: suave, v05 shampoo, conditioner (my own), raw shea butter, castor oil, peanut oil, aloe juice
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • CoilsKinksCurlsCoilsKinksCurls Registered Users Posts: 418
    I think she uses germall plus as a preservative. I could be wrong but I think I saw it on the newer labels.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Check Out my YouTube Channel:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/CoilsKinksCurls

Hair Type: 4a

It's not bad being a product junkie, when it benefits someone else!
    Don't like it, just keep walkin!!
    :walk:
  • hippychichippychic Registered Users Posts: 4,673 Curl Neophyte
    I think she uses germall plus as a preservative. I could be wrong but I think I saw it on the newer labels.
    that's good that she included it on the labels. let your consumers make informed decisions :notworthy:
    LOIS (OS); cottony, TYPE 4 hair, fine/med strands; no cones bcz my hair hates them; last relaxer '98; now low porosity:?, ignores most natural hair rules; BC #8

faves: suave, v05 shampoo, conditioner (my own), raw shea butter, castor oil, peanut oil, aloe juice
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file