"Type 4 Kinky"

MixedUpCurlyChickMixedUpCurlyChick Registered Users Posts: 2,568 Curl Neophyte
Alright folks, I haven't been coming on regularly so if there's a thread about this, please point me to it! (I did a search but didn't find anything)

Was anyone else surprised when they say the new language used on here for type 4 hair? I'm pretty sure these tiny ringlets are curls :tongue5:
comic-p.jpg

Comments

• EllyEllyOxenFreeEllyEllyOxenFree Registered Users Posts: 6,446 Curl Neophyte
    LOL oh you. Honestly I've always called type 4 hair kinky (yet curly as well), and I usually call my hair kinky-curly (even though I think that sounds weird since it's the name of a company). I think that the word kinky describes a tighter curl or less silky texture, at least to me.

Interested to see other responses though...you may have done started somethin'....
    BC'ed: 26 Dec 09
    YouTube
    Grand Duchess Fierce Freckles, Mistress of the Mighty Snap and Doyenne of the Potent Products Pavane in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
  • Booker Ts MamaBooker Ts Mama Registered Users Posts: 670
    I have no problem with my hair being called kinky. It's nappy (and all the other words associated with it) I can't stand :evil:.

• kinkyncurlykinkyncurly Registered Users Posts: 110
    I mentioned this in the Random Thoughts thread - I'm 4a and identify as kinky-curly (obvs from my username) and it's offensive to me.

but what also puzzles me is that 3c is called kinky-curly. Um, on what planet is 3c kinky? I gave my feedback using the little popup thing.
    Transitioning! :hello1:
    s-event.png
    BC Date: January 8th, 2011!
    Hair: 4a fine but dense
    Working on: porosity issues, growing out heat damage, dryness
    Fotki link in profile
    I mentioned this in the Random Thoughts thread - I'm 4a and identify as kinky-curly (obvs from my username) and it's offensive to me.

but what also puzzles me is that 3c is called kinky-curly. Um, on what planet is 3c kinky? I gave my feedback using the little popup thing.

3c hair can definitely be kinky. I think the whole thing is subjective though - which goes back to my beating a dead horse and saying hair type doesn't matter lol.
    YouTube
    Grand Duchess Fierce Freckles, Mistress of the Mighty Snap and Doyenne of the Potent Products Pavane in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
  • CerendipityCerendipity Registered Users Posts: 5,091 Curl Novice
    ellepixie wrote: »

3c hair can definitely be kinky. I think the whole thing is subjective though - which goes back to my beating a dead horse and saying hair type doesn't matter lol.

imager.php?id=491212
  • hippychichippychic Registered Users Posts: 4,673 Curl Neophyte
    lmao shawny - not ole esther :sign5:
    LOIS (OS); cottony, TYPE 4 hair, fine/med strands; no cones bcz my hair hates them; last relaxer '98; now low porosity:?, ignores most natural hair rules; BC #8

faves: suave, v05 shampoo, conditioner (my own), raw shea butter, castor oil, peanut oil, aloe juice
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • SuburbanbushbabeSuburbanbushbabe Registered Users Posts: 15,402 Curl Neophyte
    So type 3 is the only curly category? News to me. I commented in the Feedback section in the new format thread. IMO type 3 is loose curly, type 3c is tighter and type4 is tightest curls.
    My blog - http://suburbanbushbabe.wordpress.com/
    My FOTKI - http://whatsnew.fotki.com/suburbanbushbabe/
    comic-p.jpg

Playing with my hair is a hobby. Fluffy, fine natural 4a. Goal= Healthy, beautiful hair that retains its length.
    Hear that crash? It's me falling off the CG wagon.
    The funny thing is, if you read hair chemistry books, they often refer to Type 4 hair as the "curliest."
    YouTube
  • ninadefninadef Registered Users Posts: 243

imager.php?id=491212

Totally OT, but this is exactly how my ex looked when he danced!
  • 3c4d7zwhatevs3c4d7zwhatevs Registered Users Posts: 1,589
    This is random, but it was called "Super Kinky" before. Why was no one up in arms before?
    4a/3c curls
    Fine strands, not as densely-placed as I would like
    Ayurvedic herbs are the TRUTH
    Team Wash and Go!
    iHerb code:UYA010 - get 5% off your first purchase
  • CerendipityCerendipity Registered Users Posts: 5,091 Curl Novice
    ^ Im not in arms but I do know a few 4A's that are not Kinky unless their hair is manipulated by brushing out the very defined curls

Me on the other hand likes the word kinky
    From the dictionary:

kinky adj \ˈkiŋ-kē\
    kink·i·erkink·i·est
    Definition of KINKY

: closely twisted or curled

So why are people offended with this word but okay with tightly curled???
    YouTube
  • NaturalistaNaturalista Registered Users Posts: 5,491 Curl Neophyte
    So type 3 is the only curly category? News to me. I commented in the Feedback section in the new format thread. IMO type 3 is loose curly, type 3c is tighter and type4 is tightest curls.

+1. The prior curl classification wasn't all that, but at least type 4 was classified as a curl if I recall correctly.
    Type: 3c with some 4a highlighted
    Low porosity thick/coarse texture. nml elasticity
    Routine: No rules, just happy hair

Cleanse: CJDF, Prell, LUSH Curly Wurly, Bobeam
    LI/RO:BBB, CJ, SheaM, HEHIS, Garnier, KBN Shealoe, CD Chocolat, Oyin HH
    Styling: CJ, CR, UFD, Zuresh, Ecostyler,MJ
    PT/DT: BBB, CJ, Lather, MJSSB

HUGE PJJJJJJJJ!!!!:love4:

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]]
    Facebook|Twitter
    From the dictionary:

kinky adj \ˈkiŋ-kē\
    kink·i·erkink·i·est
    Definition of KINKY

: closely twisted or curled

So why are people offended with this word but okay with tightly curled???

Likely cause kinky (like nappy) is often seen as a negative connotation as in, knotty, unmanageable, unruly, and as such the unattractive side of the spectrum. It's nothing close to the truth, but its a common misconception that these attributes aren't related to "real" curls. Folks making Kinky complicated as hell..

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]]
    Facebook|Twitter
    This stuff makes my head hurt. Some people being okay with kinky & nappy, some only okay with kinky, some okay with none of it. How did we get here?
    YouTube
    This stuff makes my head hurt. Some people being okay with kinky & nappy, some only okay with kinky, some okay with none of it. How did we get here?

IDK girl.. IDK. All I know is that I'm a natural girl with natural problems...like every other chica trynna deal with their mane 'round here. I dont care bout the curl class. I simply want it to curl.. AND look good!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]]
    Facebook|Twitter
    sagehen wrote: »
    This is random, but it was called "Super Kinky" before. Why was no one up in arms before?
    i wondered what it said before. i didn't pay attention.
    makes my head hurt also
    LOIS (OS); cottony, TYPE 4 hair, fine/med strands; no cones bcz my hair hates them; last relaxer '98; now low porosity:?, ignores most natural hair rules; BC #8

faves: suave, v05 shampoo, conditioner (my own), raw shea butter, castor oil, peanut oil, aloe juice
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • MixedUpCurlyChickMixedUpCurlyChick Registered Users Posts: 2,568 Curl Neophyte
    lmao thank you ShawnyBlazes and NinaDef for the comic relief :toothy10:

I'm not offended by "kinky" but my hair is def curly...its kinky curly to get really specific! Usually when someone says "kinky" they're referring to hair that has no visible curl pattern IME. That's why I thought it was odd and I would imagine misleading for newbies with type 4a hair. I would think "curly- kinky" or "kinky and curly" would be more accurate language to use.

I didn't pay much attention to the language they used before but now that its right there on the homepage (or maybe it just appears to be more obvious due to the new layout) I noticed it and wondered what you all thought.

I think of 3c as curly...some silky, some kinky, but overall it tends to be dense ("big hair") so I guess that terminology is lacking too. It seems like the type 3c and up terminology is always lacking though. :shrugs:
    comic-p.jpg
  • breathebreathe Registered Users Posts: 399
    I'm not offended by "kinky" but my hair is def curly...its kinky curly to get really specific! Usually when someone says "kinky" they're referring to hair that has no visible curl pattern IME. That's why I thought it was odd and I would imagine misleading for newbies with type 4a hair. I would think "curly- kinky" or "kinky and curly" would be more accurate language to use.

that's the issue with all of these words -- too many connotations and ways to interpret it!
    big chop: 03/09/2010.
    modified cg.
    medium/coarse | dense | normal porosity | 4b/3c with random sprinkles of 4a.

• NubianCoilsNubianCoils Registered Users Posts: 2,149
    Well my hair is kinky. It's also curly, nappy, sexy, hot, afro, goddess. You can use whichever you like.
    Defeated the Relaxer: January 2001 :boxing:
    Dreadlocks Since: March 2001
    Cut Dreadlocks: February 2009:afro:

Holy Grails:
    Amla and Bhringraj are the TRUTH, HE LTR Conditioner is the BIDNESS, Shea butter, Honey, Jamican Black Castor Oil

Full head of 4a hair!:wav:
  • LadyV69LadyV69 Registered Users Posts: 3,397
    I don't get headaches over the issue because to me, it's not that serious. I don't have an issue with any term you want to call my hair-curly, coily, kinky or nappy. I know a couple of terms have had a negative connotation over the years in our community, but I won't let them have that kind of power over me.
    Fine haired, low density, highly porous curly kinky lady
    Last relaxer: Not sure. 3/08 or 4/08
    BC'd: 9/18/09
    Co-wash: Suave Naturals, HEHH, Trader Joe's Tea Tree Tingle, CJ Daily Fix
    Leave-In: KCKT, Giovanni Direct Leave-In, CJ Smoothing Lotion
    Stylers: ORS Twist and Loc Gel, KCCC, Ecostyler, SheaMoisture Deep Treatment Masque
    Deep Conditioner: DevaCurl Heaven In Hair, CJ Deep Fix

http://confessionsofladyv69.wordpress.com/
    LadyV69 wrote: »
    I don't get headaches over the issue because to me, it's not that serious. I don't have an issue with any term you want to call my hair-curly, coily, kinky or nappy. I know a couple of terms have had a negative connotation over the years in our community, but I won't let them have that kind of power over me.
    this!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • *Marah**Marah* Registered Users Posts: 8,032 Curl Neophyte
    Considering 4a hair is very tightly curled or twisted..I don't see how the word "kinky" is an inaccurate description.

But frankly, I think almost all of the NC definitions of hair types need major revision. They are way to confusing not to mention the hair characterizations listed are incorrect and not consisent with all hair in that particular type even if their curls are actually that size.

It's no wonder people are running around reading the site and then coming on the message board and thinking their hair type will help them determine how to care for their hair..and well IT WON'T.

This is why I think curl size should be the emphasis on the hair type section and a link to specific information about finding ones texture and porosity should be featured. That way a person can identify their hair pattern just to see what they have and also get information about how to determine what actually counts concerning caring for their hair.

I say that because If I went by the NC.com characterizations ALL of my hair would be 3b rather than a 3b/3c mix. And even that would be sort of screwed because my hair is not fine like it says 3b's are and my 3c hair easily straightens (they claim it's harder for 3c's to straighten). So what the heck would I be a 2c ? The very idea of that is ridiculous considering how "curly" my hair is.

So to me, it seems NC would be of better service in general in that area if it stuck to hair pattern and curl circumference when it comes to hair types types rather than trying to put cookie cutter characterizations on group hair types.

I don't know.. just a thought.
    tumblr_m9jonzYZmu1re7hjjo1_250.jpg
  • pretebrowneyespretebrowneyes Registered Users Posts: 248
    Well my hair is kinky. It's also curly, nappy, sexy, hot, afro, goddess. You can use whichever you like.

My sentiments exactly. :hippy2:
    *MopTop Maven Healthy Hair Challenge 2011*:wave:

PrePoo- EVOO
    LowPoo- Dr. Bronner's peppermint soap bar
    Shampoo- ORS Creamy Aloe
    Clarifying poo- Suave Daily Clarifying shampoo
    DC- GVP Conditioning Balm
    PT- GVP K-Pak reconstructor
    Leave in- Giovanni Direct leave-in *with kimmaytube recipe*
    Moisturizer- water+aloe vera juice+castor oil+jojoba oil spritz
    Sealant- jojoba oil
  • Cali ChikCali Chik Registered Users Posts: 1,494
    I'm highly offended. They should have called it "Nappy" not kinky.
    subbrock wrote: »
    - don't let everybody elses long straight weave bum you out. don't let other people's big/long natural hair bum you out either. embrace what you have and rock it with confidence, because that's the only way you'll be happy. and whether you realize it or not you are somebody's influence. show them what it truly means to be confident.

www.lifestarbeauty.com
    Hate me? Love me? then Follow me! www.twitter.com/vidastarr

• MsNaturalRootsMsNaturalRoots Registered Users Posts: 48
    Alright folks, I haven't been coming on regularly so if there's a thread about this, please point me to it! (I did a search but didn't find anything)

Was anyone else surprised when they say the new language used on here for type 4 hair? I'm pretty sure these tiny ringlets are curls :tongue5:

You can always try the LOIS system. I dont like either hair typing system but the lesser of the two evils in my opinion is the LOIS system.Hope this helps:).

Your Pattern:

L - If the hair has all bends, right angles and folds with little to no curve then you are daughter L.

O - If the strand is rolled up into the shape of one or several zeros like a spiral, then you are daughter O.

I - If the hair lies mostly flat with no distinctive curve or bend you are daughter I.

S - If the strand looks like a wavy line with hills and valleys then you are daughter S.

Your Texture:
    Shine is a sharp reflection of light while Sheen is a dull reflection of light.

Thready - Hair as a low sheen, with high shine if the hair is held taut (as in a braid), with low frizz. Wets easily but water dries out quickly.

Wiry - Hair has a sparkly sheen, with low shine and low frizz. Water beads up or bounces off the hair strands. Hair never seems to get fully wet.

Cottony - Hair has a low sheen, a high shine if the hair is held taunt and has high frizz. Absorbs water quickly but does not get thoroughly wet very fast.

Spongy - Hair has a high sheen with low shine with a compacted looking frizz. Absorbs water before it gets thoroughly wet.

Silky - Hair has low sheen, a very high shine, with a lot or low frizz. Easily wets in water.
    With Love,
    Angel :angel8::angel8::angel8:

Check me out on : facebook and youtube ( my user name is msnaturalroots)
  • MsNaturalRootsMsNaturalRoots Registered Users Posts: 48

I <3 this :).
    With Love,
    Angel :angel8::angel8::angel8:

Check me out on : facebook and youtube ( my user name is msnaturalroots)
  • MixedUpCurlyChickMixedUpCurlyChick Registered Users Posts: 2,568 Curl Neophyte

You can always try the LOIS system. I dont like either hair typing system but the lesser of the two evils in my opinion is the LOIS system.Hope this helps:).

Your Pattern:

L - If the hair has all bends, right angles and folds with little to no curve then you are daughter L.

O - If the strand is rolled up into the shape of one or several zeros like a spiral, then you are daughter O.

I - If the hair lies mostly flat with no distinctive curve or bend you are daughter I.

S - If the strand looks like a wavy line with hills and valleys then you are daughter S.

Your Texture:
    Shine is a sharp reflection of light while Sheen is a dull reflection of light.

Thready - Hair as a low sheen, with high shine if the hair is held taut (as in a braid), with low frizz. Wets easily but water dries out quickly.

Wiry - Hair has a sparkly sheen, with low shine and low frizz. Water beads up or bounces off the hair strands. Hair never seems to get fully wet.

Cottony - Hair has a low sheen, a high shine if the hair is held taunt and has high frizz. Absorbs water quickly but does not get thoroughly wet very fast.

Spongy - Hair has a high sheen with low shine with a compacted looking frizz. Absorbs water before it gets thoroughly wet.

Silky - Hair has low sheen, a very high shine, with a lot or low frizz. Easily wets in water.

Oh I'm not anti any hair system...it really doesn't matter...I just don't remember type 4 hair being called "kinky" with no "curly" in front of or behind it before. Maybe it was...I honestly don't remember...but in the actual community, we have several terms for our hair (as stated and restated in this thread) and as type 4s, we come in various shapes, sizes, and textures. I think "kinky" is rather vague and like I said, that word tends to mean non curly IME. Many type 4s have curly hair, so its misleading. Clearly I don't have a "headache" about this folks...and my arms are down :)

Just wanted to have a dialogue :blob4:
    comic-p.jpg

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file