Poor college student looking for my holy grail products!

13»

Comments

• ruchipuchiruchipuchi Posts: 149Registered Users
    Yup, that's a low poo from what I can tell. Maybe try a vinegar rinse? It's supposed to help make your hair shiny. The standard proportion is one tbsp ACV to one cup water. The YTC cleanses well but I think it feels pretty moisturizing as well. My hair is soft after I rinse it out even before using condish.

I still use GFTN as my rinse-out and GVPCB as a leave-in or sometimes a DT overnight. Also if I'm spritzing and condishing, I use the CB instead of the GFTN, but when I shower afterwards, I still rinse out with GFTN. I don't know if you're a huge fan of it, but I really love GFTN so I have a stock of both GVPCB.

I use Set Me Up. It says max hold, but I don't know if I would describe it as that. I mean when I think max hold, I imagine something I could use to give myself a mohawk and my hair wouldn't move. But this stuff is pretty flexible. It definitely dries crunchy (if you use enough, sometimes if I only use a bit and have leave-in underneath, it doesn't dry that crunchy) but it's easy to SOTC and never flakes. I've also found it mixes well with any other products I use without giving me those little white flakes/balls. Totally Twisted has a little less hold- I think I may try that after I finish SMU. I need gel mostly for definition and frizz, not so much for hold, so I'll see how that works for me. I really like it because it's super cheap but unlike most other cheap gels, it doesn't have any protein so I don't have to worry about using it everyday. It also never weighs down my hair.

HTH :colors:
    curly.g wrote: »
    I've been using a Trader Joe's Tea Trea Shampoo about once a week, would that count as a [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/DevaCurl-LowPoo-p-54.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=devacurl-lowpoo]low-poo[/buylink]? I know quite a few people on the boards use their shampoos and conditioners. I've also seen a lot of good things about the Yes To shampoos on the boards, I might have to check them out! is is hydrating or do you mostly just use it as a cleanser?

Thank you so much for the information! I'm relieved that behentremonium methosulfate is actually a good thing. I still really want to go out and buy the conditioning balm (I'll try my best to wait until at least my GFTN is out =)), but I think I'll wait and just buy an Herbal Essences gel right now to help add definition. Is it the Set Me Up that you like? Is it a stronger gel? I'm assuming you probably have to scrunch out the crunch, but it's not flaky is it?
    Fia: 2c/Coarse/ii, low-normal elasticity, low porosity.

Co-wash: Suave Naturals
    RO/LI: GFTN, GVPCB
    Styling: Curls Defining Moments Curl Release Serum, DevaCare Arc AnGEL, DevaCurl Set It Free, KCCC
    DT/PT: GVPCB, AOHR, Coconut oil, Olive Oil, Yogurt PTs, ION Effective Care
    SOTC: JCN&S

:wav:
  • imagabsterimagabster Posts: 71Registered Users
    sweet thank you! I think I might pick up Totally Twisted today and see how that works out! Maybe it'll help with my frizz and definition too!

I really like my GFTN, especially after I used it last night. I used it as my rinse-out and then I reapplied a little as a leave-in before I got out of the shower. My hair feels so soft and shiny today! I think I like it better as a leave-in that I do my Giovanni leave-in. Maybe tonight I'll try that again with a gel and see how that works out. You said sometimes you apply your gel after your bioterra curl creme right?

I'll probably just cave and buy the CB so I have both and try them the way you use them, who knows!
    CG since September 2010
    thick, medium-coarse, low-normal porosity (?), 2c/3a hair!
    growing out my hair to BSL!

experimenting with...
    low-poo/ co-wash: Everyday Shea Moisturizing Lavender Shampoo & tressemme naturals moisture
    rinse-out/ leave-in: GFTN, CJAO, CJRM, TJ nourish, GVP Conditioning Balm
    styling: HESMU, CJCIAB, eco styler krystal, BRHG

"I'm as free as my hair." Mother Monster

I definitely think HETT will help with frizz and definition. I've been trying really, really hard to stop using gels and just stick to a heavier cream/butter type product but I have absolutely no definition and TONS of frizz without it. And everything else is super producty in my hair. Gel is the only thing that's giving me the results I want.

I agree, I have Giovanni Direct Leave In, and it does NOTHING for my hair. In fact, I think it is almost a little bit drying. I love GFTN as a leave-in but i like that GVPCB is richer and more moisturizing but still very light-weight on my hair. On days that I use the curl creme, I use a leave-in first, then curl creme, then gel on top. mixing products before putting them in my hair doesn't work for me, but it might for you? I've been avoiding the curl creme lately because it has humectants and the dew points are getting lower and my hair drier..

Let me know what you decide to do and how it works for you!
    sweet thank you! I think I might pick up Totally Twisted today and see how that works out! Maybe it'll help with my frizz and definition too!

I really like my GFTN, especially after I used it last night. I used it as my rinse-out and then I reapplied a little as a leave-in before I got out of the shower. My hair feels so soft and shiny today! I think I like it better as a leave-in that I do my Giovanni leave-in. Maybe tonight I'll try that again with a gel and see how that works out. You said sometimes you apply your gel after your bioterra curl creme right?

I'll probably just cave and buy the CB so I have both and try them the way you use them, who knows!

Styling: Curls Defining Moments Curl Release Serum, DevaCare Arc AnGEL, DevaCurl Set It Free, KCCC

I ended up buying the HE set me up gel! it smells so good! this is the first gel I've bought in a very long time, I usually try to stick to a heavier curl cream because it doesn't leave my hair crunchy like the gels I've tried have. The curl cream doesn't really help with my frizz or definition either though. I'm really excited to try the gel tonight and see how it looks!

What do you do when you DT your hair?
    CG since September 2010

experimenting with...
    low-poo/ co-wash: Everyday Shea Moisturizing Lavender Shampoo & tressemme naturals moisture

I ended up buying the HE set me up gel! it smells so good! this is the first gel I've bought in a very long time, I usually try to stick to a heavier curl cream because it doesn't leave my hair crunchy like the gels I've tried have. The curl cream doesn't really help with my frizz or definition either though. I'm really excited to try the gel tonight and see how it looks!

What do you do when you DT your hair?

Sorry for the late response...

I do a whole bunch of different things. Sometimes I just put oil in it for an hour or two (or overnight). I usually use coconut or olive oils. Lately, I've been using the AOHR as a DT.. I leave that in for 30 minutes - overnight. GVPCB mixed with a bit of oil also works as a DT. When I spritz and condition, sometimes I don't actually shower until an hour or two after I've put the conditioner in my hair.. so that works as a mini DT... I'm usually lazy about covering my head after a DT, but when I do, I put a shower cap and then a towel turban (turbie twist I think they're called?) on top. And sometimes I "heat" it up with a blowdryer for 5 minutes. This is rare though. I'm much too lazy to actually do that.

HTH!

it's cool, thank you for the info! I'm almost wondering if I even need to DT, since I've been using my GFTN as a leave-in my hair seems a lot softer and shinier.

BTW, I love the HE set me up gel! it's given me such shiny, frizz free waves/curls! The crunch isn't bad at all, it's been really easy to scrunch out. thank you so much for the recommendation!
    CG since September 2010

experimenting with...

• morrighumorrighu Posts: 707Registered Users
    I have recipes posted on curlytalk.net. There's a link in my sig, I think. Most things you can make a month's supply of for less than $10. And they work as good or better than the things you can buy.

The biggest thing to not having frizz is DO NOT TOUCH YOUR HAIR WHILE IT IS DRYING!!!!

JUST DON'T...

Let it dry in peace and it will be fine. And invest in a satin sleep bonnet - like $5 at WalMart
    it's cool, thank you for the info! I'm almost wondering if I even need to DT, since I've been using my GFTN as a leave-in my hair seems a lot softer and shinier.

BTW, I love the HE set me up gel! it's given me such shiny, frizz free waves/curls! The crunch isn't bad at all, it's been really easy to scrunch out. thank you so much for the recommendation!

You probably do need to do DT's. You'll be surprised how much they'll improve your hair's health.

I'm really glad you like the gel! I had never used gel in my hair until I started CG, so I was really horrified by the idea of using it, until I realized how well it works!!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file