Poor college student looking for my holy grail products!

Comments

• ruchipuchiruchipuchi Posts: 149Registered Users
    Emerwen wrote: »
    Lol, yeah, stuff in my eyes gets annoying. But I have a couple strands that always fall in my eyes regardless of how I do my hair. I've shied away from bobby pins just because I am inept with them. :-?

So, I'm not putting in curl cream today, just almond oil and my conditioner (stuff I use in the shower and as leave in.... which needs to change soon. My hair is too dry). I want to see what my hair will do since it's back in a braid today since I have lab and unbound hair is not allowed.

Hmm, how do you use the bobby pins? Since my bangs are *supposed* to be those pretty side swept bangs, they're uneven and I can't really just pin them as they are. I usually roll/twist them back with some longer pieces and then open up the bobby pin and stick two in intersecting each other.

You work in a lab?! Cool! What kind? (I'm a science geek too.... Hehehe)

Since this is the only thread I post in regularly (maybe a little too regularly), and I like you guys, I felt like I should share this with you. I was reading about a method called spritz and condish and decided to try it this morning. Here is the link http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/showthread.php?t=89299. the thread is a little long so I'll just give you a basic summary of what it is if you haven't read about it yet. You just spritz your hair with water until it's pretty wet and then put a heavy conditioner (I used my favorite HG GVP conditioning balm - both of you, you NEED to get this stuff!!!). Leave it in for about 10-15 minutes and then get in the shower and rinse it out upside down. If you need to cowash or low-poo, just put scrunch your rinse out condish in the ends of your hair and scrub your scalp with cowash/low poo and rinse everything out. Then leave-in and style.

I think it's for porous hair because when you get your hair soaking wet in the shower it just absorbs so much water and maybe not enough of your conditioner. But this method works even in my low porous! I don't know how dry your guys' hair is, but mine is super dry. It feels nice a slick when I put condish in, but as soon as I rinse it out, it feels coarse and dry again. This didn't happen today!!! It was soft even after I rinsed out. I actually rinsed for longer than normal because I thought I hadn't gotten all the condish out - but it was actually my normal hair that soft! Since I know both of you are experimenting with things, I thought this might help you guys out. :toothy2:

ETA: Oops, I accidentally read that you WORKED in a lab, but I realized you might be saying that you have a class that is a lab. what are you studying?
    Also (I feel like a walking billboard for this stuff), since your hair is so dry and you want a new condish, I vote for GVPCB. It's about $6-7 but it's super thick and you don't need a lot and it lasts a long time. I use it as a leave-in instead of a rinse-out (it makes me feel less guilty about washing it down the drain), but I might start using it for the spritz and condish method more often.
    Fia: 2c/Coarse/ii, low-normal elasticity, low porosity.

Co-wash: Suave Naturals
    RO/LI: GFTN, GVPCB
    Styling: Curls Defining Moments Curl Release Serum, DevaCare Arc AnGEL, DevaCurl Set It Free, KCCC
    DT/PT: GVPCB, AOHR, Coconut oil, Olive Oil, Yogurt PTs, ION Effective Care
    SOTC: JCN&S

:wav:
  • EmerwenEmerwen Posts: 138Registered Users
    I've tried bobby pins in several different methods, most of them putting up semi-wet if not totally wet hair. (Which could be my problem.) Most of my styling is done when my hair is wet, and I always air dry.

I've wondered about the spritz and condish method, but I never get up with 10 extra minutes to spend before the shower. That's my only problem. And since I am kinda hoping to start swimming in the morning, I'm not sure how that would work either. Hmm.... I do want to try it though.

I also have the problem of my hair almost instantly feeling dry once I rinse out the conditioner. It annoys me! I'm not so sure I even like the Giovanni TTTT conditioner.

Is that the stuff that is the Paul Mitchel off brand or the Biolage off brand?

And no, I don't work in a lab, I am in college still. This semester, I am taking Genetics, Organic Chemistry, Medicinal Chemistry, Health Psychology, and Technical Writing. Genetics and O-chem are the ones I have labs for. O-chem is today's. I am hoping next semester to start up some Research as well, but I need to talk to my professor about that today or tomorrow. I'm a total science junkie. Well, Biology especially. Chem is interesting, and I like how it works with Bio. I despise Physics though.
    Hair type: 3a, med-low porosity, decent elasticity, thin, med-fine. (I think)

Hair Routine:
    Low-poo: Burt's Bee's Pomegranate and Soy
    Co-wash: V05 Kiwi Clarifying Conditioner, Condish: V05 Kiwi Clarifying Conditioner, Giovanni TTTT, honey
    Leave In: GVP Conditioning Balm
    Styling: Biotera Curl Cream, Sweet Almond Oil
    Techniques: Icequeen method

Hair likes: GVP CB, Biotera Curl Cream, Almond Oil (when wet).
    Hair dislikes: gel, plopping.

Hair Goal: Healthy, soft, defined, waist length curls!

I've tried bobby pins in several different methods, most of them putting up semi-wet if not totally wet hair. (Which could be my problem.) Most of my styling is done when my hair is wet, and I always air dry.

I've wondered about the spritz and condish method, but I never get up with 10 extra minutes to spend before the shower. That's my only problem. And since I am kinda hoping to start swimming in the morning, I'm not sure how that would work either. Hmm.... I do want to try it though.

I also have the problem of my hair almost instantly feeling dry once I rinse out the conditioner. It annoys me! I'm not so sure I even like the Giovanni TTTT conditioner.

Is that the stuff that is the Paul Mitchel off brand or the Biolage off brand?

And no, I don't work in a lab, I am in college still. This semester, I am taking Genetics, Organic Chemistry, Medicinal Chemistry, Health Psychology, and Technical Writing. Genetics and O-chem are the ones I have labs for. O-chem is today's. I am hoping next semester to start up some Research as well, but I need to talk to my professor about that today or tomorrow. I'm a total science junkie. Well, Biology especially. Chem is interesting, and I like how it works with Bio. I despise Physics though.

I bought the Giovanni Direct Leave-In. It's ok, nothing special. It's no better or worse than the other stuff I use, just expensive (although I bought it when it was on sale). The GVP conditioning balm is the Biolage off brand. It actually took me A LOT less time to shower this morning with the spritz and condish. And my hair dried faster (even if I had let it air dry... and the gel I used today had glycerin which usually takes till the evening to be completely dry). So it was like.. even if I had to spend 10 extra minutes before my shower (I just made my coffee and checked my email until then), I showered for 10 minutes less so it evened out. Do you do DTs? It's helped a lot with the dryness. It's still pretty dry but not as bad as it used to be.

Meeee tooo, science junkie all the way. I'm in medical school right now, studying for my medical board exams (I'm a third year), but I think I study curly hair more than medicine lately. I'm sorta tired of studying science, and wish I could just get to the DOING science part already. :angry7:

Styling: Curls Defining Moments Curl Release Serum, DevaCare Arc AnGEL, DevaCurl Set It Free, KCCC

I'll look into it. I've been thinking about either getting the leave in, the condish, or trying Burt's Bees since I've heard a lot of good things about their stuff as well. I'm kinda wishing I'd gotten that at walmart instead of Giovanni.

Hmmm... I may have to try that then. Less shower time would be awesome. Maybe I could put it in, get in the shower and leave in the condish and just not get my head wet while I'm shaving. I may try that tomorrow though I don't have a great condish to do it with.

Yeah, I'm just in undergrad right now, and I don't think I'll be going to med school. I'm thinking I'll probably go get my midwife certification and continue working toward my Nurse Practitioner certification after that. Med school sounds a wee bit daunting to me, honestly, and I want a family sooner than later.

But yeah, I should be finishing my pre-lab, but instead I'm researching hair stuff. Go figure.

Hair Routine:
    Co-wash: V05 Kiwi Clarifying Conditioner, Condish: V05 Kiwi Clarifying Conditioner, Giovanni TTTT, honey

I'll look into it. I've been thinking about either getting the leave in, the condish, or trying Burt's Bees since I've heard a lot of good things about their stuff as well. I'm kinda wishing I'd gotten that at walmart instead of Giovanni.

Hmmm... I may have to try that then. Less shower time would be awesome. Maybe I could put it in, get in the shower and leave in the condish and just not get my head wet while I'm shaving. I may try that tomorrow though I don't have a great condish to do it with.

Yeah, I'm just in undergrad right now, and I don't think I'll be going to med school. I'm thinking I'll probably go get my midwife certification and continue working toward my Nurse Practitioner certification after that. Med school sounds a wee bit daunting to me, honestly, and I want a family sooner than later.

But yeah, I should be finishing my pre-lab, but instead I'm researching hair stuff. Go figure.

I've been hearing a lot of good things about the Yes to Carrots/Tomatoes/Cucumbers line, so I think that might be my next purchase for a leave-in. I meant to get Burt's Bees, but for some reason, the PJ in me got distracted by the Yes to Carrots shampoo and I got that instead. It has a mild sulfate in it, but I wish I had gotten the Burt's Bees instead and gotten Yes to something conditioner. But the Yes to Carrots smells heavenly and feels so nice in my hair. It's a little drying, but I only use it every other week so it's ok so far.

Ohh midwife's certification. I know this is weird and probably a little sad, but I'm a little bit scared of babies and small people. I don't dislike them or anything, I just get really nervous around them. :oops: But I admire/envy anyone that can do something like that... Help bring new life into the world.. Good luck with school! Med school is just... exhausting. I'm so tired of it. I wish I picked another career. Something involving getting paid to eat food. Like those guys on the Food Network. Just kidding (not entirely), I like medicine, I'm just tired of all the school and studying.

I'm trying the Spritz and Condish method today. I had an hour before I had to be anywhere else and ahd run out of the room early today to print out genetics homework, so skipped my shower. Now letting it sit for a short bit. Not sure if I got my hair wet enough or not, but we shall see. I forgot how long it took for my hair to get wet! Sheesh.

I'm not a fan of the pricetag on the "Yes to..." brands, and I don't need anything the slightest bit drying on my hair. My hair craves moisture (hence why I'm thinking of BB).

I LOVE little ones. I am one of those crazy people that has a baby radar. I adore little ones, and they are literally able to make the day brighter even when I'm in a horrible, horrible mood. Two summers ago I got to babysit a 3 month old, and I fell in love. I always knew I adored babies, but.... that was.... wow. I cannot wait until I get married and have my own chilren! (But as I don't even have a boyfriend yet, that's a while yet to come).

And don't feel bad. Babies make most people nervous. People stare at me like I'm an alien when I go all crazy over little ones. You just have to hang out with them more ;)

Med school sounds terribly tiring. One of my best friends is applying now, and I know she could do it and do it well, but I still worry for her.

Anywho! Time to jump in the shower! :D *crosses fingers*

ETA: Wow! That certainly did cut shower time shorter! My hair clumped better in the shower, so we shall hope that trend lasts. I'm attempting to plop some of the water out. I tend to have mixed results plopping though, so we shall see.

Do you usually put your styling products in while your hair is sopping wet, in the shower, after you've scrunched the water out, or after you've let it dry for a little bit?

Hair Routine:

I'm trying the Spritz and Condish method today. I had an hour before I had to be anywhere else and ahd run out of the room early today to print out genetics homework, so skipped my shower. Now letting it sit for a short bit. Not sure if I got my hair wet enough or not, but we shall see. I forgot how long it took for my hair to get wet! Sheesh.

I'm not a fan of the pricetag on the "Yes to..." brands, and I don't need anything the slightest bit drying on my hair. My hair craves moisture (hence why I'm thinking of BB).

I LOVE little ones. I am one of those crazy people that has a baby radar. I adore little ones, and they are literally able to make the day brighter even when I'm in a horrible, horrible mood. Two summers ago I got to babysit a 3 month old, and I fell in love. I always knew I adored babies, but.... that was.... wow. I cannot wait until I get married and have my own chilren! (But as I don't even have a boyfriend yet, that's a while yet to come).

And don't feel bad. Babies make most people nervous. People stare at me like I'm an alien when I go all crazy over little ones. You just have to hang out with them more ;)

Med school sounds terribly tiring. One of my best friends is applying now, and I know she could do it and do it well, but I still worry for her.

Anywho! Time to jump in the shower! :D *crosses fingers*

ETA: Wow! That certainly did cut shower time shorter! My hair clumped better in the shower, so we shall hope that trend lasts. I'm attempting to plop some of the water out. I tend to have mixed results plopping though, so we shall see.

Do you usually put your styling products in while your hair is sopping wet, in the shower, after you've scrunched the water out, or after you've let it dry for a little bit?

The day that I had my amazing hair day, I had washed my hair with YTC shampoo, so I wanted to see if I recreate those results today. I used the Aussie 3MM overnight (I'm not sure sure if you're supposed to do that, but it has simethicone and I didn't want to have that left in my hair so I figured it's a good day to shampoo). I don't know if this had to do with the overnight 3MM or that my hair is finally starting to get better moisturized in general, but even after I shampooed everything out, it was still pretty soft. And even softer after my regular conditioner. I used the same products as last time, but I've been using your method of using the curl creme - mixed with some almond oil - for the past few days so I did that again and then scrunched gel and it didn't look toooo great while it was wet but after it dried and I SOTCed, the results were amazing. It wasn't at all the same thing as my amazing hair day, the clumps were smaller, but I had these amazing perfectly even spirals all around my head, even the back! I don't know if this has anything to do with shampooing - it doesn't seem likely. Or maybe my hair has been getting matted with buildup from some mystery ingredient in something I use. I'll try tomorrow without the shampoo.

I've tried both methods with product. Scrunching out a little water with my hands and applying to soaking wet hair. It doesn't seem to make a huge difference to me, but I just do it in soaking wet hair because it's easier to apply everything evenly that way. After I use a leave-in and curl cream, I comb my hair a bit to cover everything and it sorta gets rid of the extra water and product that's probably just sitting on my hair and then I scrunch in gel and scrunch with a microfiber towel. I used to plop (I still do occassionally) and it gives my hair much more curl, but it's super prone to tangling so plopping just makes it a mess. And my hair curls in all different directions, not in even downward spirals parallel to each other. I don't know why that's such a big deal to me, I just think it looks better. I'm getting better at plopping now, I only do it for 10 minutes at a time and use a rattail comb to rearrange my curls so they're less tangly. But I mostly avoid it. It took me some time to get all my hair wet with the spritz and condish method too. I can't imagine how long it would take you with your longer hair. Haha.

Are your BB products cheaper than than the Yes to products? I was looking in the store and they seemed around the same price but you got more in the Yes to products, so that was probably a major factor in my buying them. But I do love a lot of BB products - lip balms, lotions, hand creams.. And the shampoos smelled pretty yummy. Are you planning to get the BB conditioner or shampoo? I'm really eager to try the Grapefruit/Sugar Beet conditioner, but I'll have to wait a while before I get it.

I guess I don't mind babies as much. I'm more nervous about the older ones... Between the ages of 3 and 7 especially. It sounds silly, but I feel really judged by them. Like I'm in junior high all over again. I sorta have social anxiety, and I get really flustered and anxious in a lot of social situations. And little kids don't really have as much of a filter. I was a really, really, really awkward kid and elementary school is filled with bad memories for me so I think kids just make me feel like I'm back there again. But babies are nice. They seem to like me most of the time. As I'm getting older, my maternal instincts are starting to kick in and I gush a little bit inside when I see babies and really want some of my own. But I don't plan on getting married for a while yet, so it'll be a long time before that happens.

ruchipuchi wrote: »
    The day that I had my amazing hair day, I had washed my hair with YTC shampoo, so I wanted to see if I recreate those results today. I used the Aussie 3MM overnight (I'm not sure sure if you're supposed to do that, but it has simethicone and I didn't want to have that left in my hair so I figured it's a good day to shampoo). I don't know if this had to do with the overnight 3MM or that my hair is finally starting to get better moisturized in general, but even after I shampooed everything out, it was still pretty soft. And even softer after my regular conditioner. I used the same products as last time, but I've been using your method of using the curl creme - mixed with some almond oil - for the past few days so I did that again and then scrunched gel and it didn't look toooo great while it was wet but after it dried and I SOTCed, the results were amazing. It wasn't at all the same thing as my amazing hair day, the clumps were smaller, but I had these amazing perfectly even spirals all around my head, even the back! I don't know if this has anything to do with shampooing - it doesn't seem likely. Or maybe my hair has been getting matted with buildup from some mystery ingredient in something I use. I'll try tomorrow without the shampoo.

I've tried both methods with product. Scrunching out a little water with my hands and applying to soaking wet hair. It doesn't seem to make a huge difference to me, but I just do it in soaking wet hair because it's easier to apply everything evenly that way. After I use a leave-in and curl cream, I comb my hair a bit to cover everything and it sorta gets rid of the extra water and product that's probably just sitting on my hair and then I scrunch in gel and scrunch with a microfiber towel. I used to plop (I still do occassionally) and it gives my hair much more curl, but it's super prone to tangling so plopping just makes it a mess. And my hair curls in all different directions, not in even downward spirals parallel to each other. I don't know why that's such a big deal to me, I just think it looks better. I'm getting better at plopping now, I only do it for 10 minutes at a time and use a rattail comb to rearrange my curls so they're less tangly. But I mostly avoid it. It took me some time to get all my hair wet with the spritz and condish method too. I can't imagine how long it would take you with your longer hair. Haha.

Are your BB products cheaper than than the Yes to products? I was looking in the store and they seemed around the same price but you got more in the Yes to products, so that was probably a major factor in my buying them. But I do love a lot of BB products - lip balms, lotions, hand creams.. And the shampoos smelled pretty yummy. Are you planning to get the BB conditioner or shampoo? I'm really eager to try the Grapefruit/Sugar Beet conditioner, but I'll have to wait a while before I get it.

I guess I don't mind babies as much. I'm more nervous about the older ones... Between the ages of 3 and 7 especially. It sounds silly, but I feel really judged by them. Like I'm in junior high all over again. I sorta have social anxiety, and I get really flustered and anxious in a lot of social situations. And little kids don't really have as much of a filter. I was a really, really, really awkward kid and elementary school is filled with bad memories for me so I think kids just make me feel like I'm back there again. But babies are nice. They seem to like me most of the time. As I'm getting older, my maternal instincts are starting to kick in and I gush a little bit inside when I see babies and really want some of my own. But I don't plan on getting married for a while yet, so it'll be a long time before that happens.
    Yeah, if I continue with the spritz and condish method, I will definitely be investing in a better spray bottle instead of an old perfume bottle. That sounds lovely! :D Yeah, I've noticed that almond oil tends to make my hair clump less, which I find interesting. I want to see if it is the AO or not.

I may try Spritz and Condish tomorrow and not plop. Because my hair looks ok, but yeah, plopping messes with my curl pattern, makes it tangly, and makes it not symmetrical or let the curls run parallel to each other, which annoys me.

And yes, our BB products are cheaper, at least, I remember them being. I think for a normal size Shampoo bottle it's about $7-9 while it's 9-11 for a smaller thing of the Yes to brand. Of course, I was at ulta when I found the Yes to brand, but I have not seen it anywhere else. I may try target even though I dislike that store. Oooh, target has it so you can get both the Shampoo and Condish for BB for $13 or both the Yes to (in smaller amts) for $11. Maybe I will start going there.

I am debating between the two. I kinda don't want to totally give up shampoo, but I think it may be beneficial for my hair if I did. However, I also need a better leave in and a more moisturizing in shower one. I'm debating between the GVP and BB. I want the Pomegranate one though.

Yeah, babies... :love7: I like little kids, but not as much as babies. Kids just annoy me with whining and me not being able to discipline them a lot of times. I do, however babysit a fair bit, or I did before school consumed my life.

Hair Routine:

Yeah, if I continue with the spritz and condish method, I will definitely be investing in a better spray bottle instead of an old perfume bottle. That sounds lovely! :D Yeah, I've noticed that almond oil tends to make my hair clump less, which I find interesting. I want to see if it is the AO or not.

I may try Spritz and Condish tomorrow and not plop. Because my hair looks ok, but yeah, plopping messes with my curl pattern, makes it tangly, and makes it not symmetrical or let the curls run parallel to each other, which annoys me.

And yes, our BB products are cheaper, at least, I remember them being. I think for a normal size Shampoo bottle it's about $7-9 while it's 9-11 for a smaller thing of the Yes to brand. Of course, I was at ulta when I found the Yes to brand, but I have not seen it anywhere else. I may try target even though I dislike that store. Oooh, target has it so you can get both the Shampoo and Condish for BB for $13 or both the Yes to (in smaller amts) for $11. Maybe I will start going there.

I am debating between the two. I kinda don't want to totally give up shampoo, but I think it may be beneficial for my hair if I did. However, I also need a better leave in and a more moisturizing in shower one. I'm debating between the GVP and BB. I want the Pomegranate one though.

Yeah, babies... :love7: I like little kids, but not as much as babies. Kids just annoy me with whining and me not being able to discipline them a lot of times. I do, however babysit a fair bit, or I did before school consumed my life.

Ohhh me tooo! Oils make my hair stringier. I know even if I have great clumps, if I try to SOTC with coconut oil or even almond oil, it breaks up the clumps a lot. Sealing with almond oil doesn't affect my clumping but I haven't been clumping too much when I mix it in with the curl creme. BUT I do have a lot less frizz. I would never have thought of that on my own! thanks!

Wow, your products are a lot more expensive than they are here. I love Target.. My YTC shampoo was $8 for 16 oz and the BB shampoo is the same price for 12 oz. Still pretty expensive for both, but I rarely shampoo so I know this stuff will last me several months. For conditioners, between BB and GVP, I'd still recommend the GVP. I haven't tried the BB, but I've seen the texture, and GVP is a lot heavier and richer. It's not like normal conditioner texture. BUT I also kinda want you to get the BB so you can tell me how it is and then I can go buy it. Hehehe. :toothy7:

Honestly, if you feel like you don't need a shampoo and your hair feels clean, don't bother. I do coconut oil DTs several nights a week and sometimes my hair just feels too greasy for a cowash to cut it. You should try coconut oil DT's. It's been helping a ton with my lack of moisture. I also left in the GVP overnight and woke up to the softest hair ever. Tomorrow I am going to do an avocado PT. I don't think my hair likes protein but I've been avoiding products with a lot of protein and maybe doing a PT will help my curl pattern a bit.

Ohhh me tooo! Oils make my hair stringier. I know even if I have great clumps, if I try to SOTC with coconut oil or even almond oil, it breaks up the clumps a lot. Sealing with almond oil doesn't affect my clumping but I haven't been clumping too much when I mix it in with the curl creme. BUT I do have a lot less frizz. I would never have thought of that on my own! thanks!

Wow, your products are a lot more expensive than they are here. I love Target.. My YTC shampoo was $8 for 16 oz and the BB shampoo is the same price for 12 oz. Still pretty expensive for both, but I rarely shampoo so I know this stuff will last me several months. For conditioners, between BB and GVP, I'd still recommend the GVP. I haven't tried the BB, but I've seen the texture, and GVP is a lot heavier and richer. It's not like normal conditioner texture. BUT I also kinda want you to get the BB so you can tell me how it is and then I can go buy it. Hehehe. :toothy7:

Honestly, if you feel like you don't need a shampoo and your hair feels clean, don't bother. I do coconut oil DTs several nights a week and sometimes my hair just feels too greasy for a cowash to cut it. You should try coconut oil DT's. It's been helping a ton with my lack of moisture. I also left in the GVP overnight and woke up to the softest hair ever. Tomorrow I am going to do an avocado PT. I don't think my hair likes protein but I've been avoiding products with a lot of protein and maybe doing a PT will help my curl pattern a bit.
    You're welcome, I think. :P I've decided that plopping is a major no for me, so I am going to try tomorrow doing the Spritz and Condish without plopping and see if that is any better.

I'm trying to find ways to make my hair softer and thicker, because when it is wet, it looks horrible, and I always airdry! :( I am thinking of doing Amala and Cassia (relatives of Henna - one for conditioning, the other for curl). I think I'll ask my mom what she thinks since I'm going to go home for a couple hours tomorrow.

I will also look into getting a coconut DT. I saw them at one of the walmarts, but I can't find them again. I think it was at the one on this side of town, not on the other where I usually go. What do you usually do for coconut or avacado DT/PTs?

Hair Routine:

You're welcome, I think. :P I've decided that plopping is a major no for me, so I am going to try tomorrow doing the Spritz and Condish without plopping and see if that is any better.

I'm trying to find ways to make my hair softer and thicker, because when it is wet, it looks horrible, and I always airdry! :( I am thinking of doing Amala and Cassia (relatives of Henna - one for conditioning, the other for curl). I think I'll ask my mom what she thinks since I'm going to go home for a couple hours tomorrow.

I will also look into getting a coconut DT. I saw them at one of the walmarts, but I can't find them again. I think it was at the one on this side of town, not on the other where I usually go. What do you usually do for coconut or avacado DT/PTs?

I know they have a lot of those packet DT's that are good for one use for like $1-2. I think Palmer's makes a coconut one. I don't really use those. I'm Indian and we put coconut oil in our hair like it's our job. No seriously, in India, there are people whose only job is to put coconut oil on people. So I've been putting coconut oil in my hair for as long as I can remember.. It's a common pastime for Indian women to sit in a line and give each other oil massages and braid their hair. My mom does it to me a lot (without the braiding), so that's what I do. I have a giant half liter bottle of Parachute coconut oil (you can get this at any Indian grocery store if you have one around you) for like $4. If you only use it in your hair, it'll last a long time, but I use it as body lotion too so I run through these pretty fast. There's another brand, Vatika, which has other stuff in it. My bottle says it has Henna, along with other herbs, coats your hair, protects it from oxidation, maintaining it's natural color; amla, strengthens the roots of your hair to help maintain their health and natural thickness; lemon, the natural astringent action controls sebum flow and helps to prevent dandruff. It's pretty good, but it has a really pungent smell and I think plain coconut oil is just as good and it smells like macaroons. Yum! All I know is Indian hair oil commercials feature gorgeous women with butt length, thick, shiny, silky looking, jet black hair. (I should mention it's always straight). I know it's mostly fake, but it does make your hair thicker (I think it only makes your hair FEEL thicker.. or makes it stonger and prevents breakage so you have "more" hair) and really soft and shiny. Amla is a fruit with a super high vitamin C content. I know it's in some Indian foods, but most people just use it for their hair and it's supposed to be really nourishing. What form are you goign to use it in? I've seen powders and "oil" but none of the amla oils I've ever seen are pure amla.. They're usually mineral oil with amla extract or something in it, so be careful with that. I've never heard of Cassia, where do you get it? I'd definitely like to try that. I really want to try henna. I've never used it, but I died my hair purple a few months ago (not super bright purple, I didn't use the bleach so it was like Pocahantas hair... Black mostly, but in sunlight, you can see the tint of purple). I know henna sorta does that too... Gives it a little mahogany tint (on black hair, it turns blonde and white hair bright red.. hahaha) and it's really good for hair so it's a double win! :blob7:

And finally, the avocado PT/DT. I have it sitting on my head right now. I put one really ripe avocado, a bunch of olive oil, and about a tablespoon of honey in a blender. It looked really thick and still sorta chunky so I dumped the rest of my bottle of Sauve Naturals Coconut condish (I don't like it very much and there was about 2 tbsp left so I thought it was a good way to use it up). I blended it until all the chunks were gone and it was a thick creamy consistency. It was really messy putting it in my hair. I tried to do it in sections so I would get all of my hair but it kept dripping everywhere. It smells really good though. It smells like it's going to magically turn my hair into perfectly soft, moisturized, springy curls when it's done. Hehe. *crosses fingers* I'm not sure how long I should leave it on. I know i should add heat, but I don't have a bonnet hair dryer and I don't feel like sitting there pointing a blowdryer to my head for 20 minutes. I'll update when I wash it out.

I know they have a lot of those packet DT's that are good for one use for like $1-2. I think Palmer's makes a coconut one. I don't really use those. I'm Indian and we put coconut oil in our hair like it's our job. No seriously, in India, there are people whose only job is to put coconut oil on people. So I've been putting coconut oil in my hair for as long as I can remember.. It's a common pastime for Indian women to sit in a line and give each other oil massages and braid their hair. My mom does it to me a lot (without the braiding), so that's what I do. I have a giant half liter bottle of Parachute coconut oil (you can get this at any Indian grocery store if you have one around you) for like $4. If you only use it in your hair, it'll last a long time, but I use it as body lotion too so I run through these pretty fast. There's another brand, Vatika, which has other stuff in it. My bottle says it has Henna, along with other herbs, coats your hair, protects it from oxidation, maintaining it's natural color; amla, strengthens the roots of your hair to help maintain their health and natural thickness; lemon, the natural astringent action controls sebum flow and helps to prevent dandruff. It's pretty good, but it has a really pungent smell and I think plain coconut oil is just as good and it smells like macaroons. Yum! All I know is Indian hair oil commercials feature gorgeous women with butt length, thick, shiny, silky looking, jet black hair. (I should mention it's always straight). I know it's mostly fake, but it does make your hair thicker (I think it only makes your hair FEEL thicker.. or makes it stonger and prevents breakage so you have "more" hair) and really soft and shiny. Amla is a fruit with a super high vitamin C content. I know it's in some Indian foods, but most people just use it for their hair and it's supposed to be really nourishing. What form are you goign to use it in? I've seen powders and "oil" but none of the amla oils I've ever seen are pure amla.. They're usually mineral oil with amla extract or something in it, so be careful with that. I've never heard of Cassia, where do you get it? I'd definitely like to try that. I really want to try henna. I've never used it, but I died my hair purple a few months ago (not super bright purple, I didn't use the bleach so it was like Pocahantas hair... Black mostly, but in sunlight, you can see the tint of purple). I know henna sorta does that too... Gives it a little mahogany tint (on black hair, it turns blonde and white hair bright red.. hahaha) and it's really good for hair so it's a double win! :blob7:

And finally, the avocado PT/DT. I have it sitting on my head right now. I put one really ripe avocado, a bunch of olive oil, and about a tablespoon of honey in a blender. It looked really thick and still sorta chunky so I dumped the rest of my bottle of Sauve Naturals Coconut condish (I don't like it very much and there was about 2 tbsp left so I thought it was a good way to use it up). I blended it until all the chunks were gone and it was a thick creamy consistency. It was really messy putting it in my hair. I tried to do it in sections so I would get all of my hair but it kept dripping everywhere. It smells really good though. It smells like it's going to magically turn my hair into perfectly soft, moisturized, springy curls when it's done. Hehe. *crosses fingers* I'm not sure how long I should leave it on. I know i should add heat, but I don't have a bonnet hair dryer and I don't feel like sitting there pointing a blowdryer to my head for 20 minutes. I'll update when I wash it out.
    Aha! I wondered if you were Indian - one of my sisters is, and I have ALWAYS envied her hair. She has thick, gorgeous waves that, when she was younger, literally went almost to her waist. But she HATED us brushing it, so we had to cut it short. Now, she prefers it short :(

Parachute. Hmm.... I have yet to see that brand anywhere :( I don't know if we have an Indian store here. We have a bunch of mexican stores, but Indian/any asian stores are hard to find unless I want to drive 2 and a half (or more) hours to Dallas. I've seen reviews saying that they have found it at walmart, but I doubt I will be that lucky. Any other ideas where I could pick it up?

I would probably use Amala with the Cassia (or right before or after if the henna experts say it's a bad idea to mix them). http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/showthread.php?t=115117 That's the thread where I'm asking questions about it. I would use the powder form. Cassia is a "sister" to henna. It has a lot of the same results, but it does not have the red tint (Red in my hair is BAD. I will never willingly put red in my hair again -_- ) Cassia has a slight golden tint to it, but on dark hair, that does nothing. Where I am looking at it is hennaforhair.com. I would likely buy it from Mehandi.com simply because that's the only place I've seen it. I may see if it's at any of our whole food stores, but I get the feeling that Cassia is not terribly popular here in the states. For that matter, neither is Henna I don't think.

Hmmm. Homemade concoctions are going to have to wait, I think. I'm in the dorms and don't really want to make that much of a mess/that much noise in my room since I share it. I may just have to buckle down and buy those.

Ok, time to hop in the shower. (Trying the spritz and condish without plopping today.)

Hair Routine:

• imagabsterimagabster Posts: 71Registered Users
    Sorry I haven't responded lately, I haven't been on my computer in a couple of days.

Whenever I shower, I always co-wash/low poo and condition, but I leave my conditioner in while I wash my body and face and shave, do you think that would be similar to spritz and conIdit? I usually don't rush through my showers, so often times conditioner is in my hair for close to 10 minutes or more. My hair always seems more moisturized afterwards.

I know this isn't what you guys have been discussing lately, but I think I've been having a problem with over moisturizing if that's even possible. I used quite a bit of my Giovanni leave-in after my shower today and a dab of my curl cream and it made my hair stiffer and a little harder to manage. I've never had this problem before.

I would love to try coconut oil in my hair, but I have skin allergies to coconuts so that's out of the question. There's so many things I want to try, but I've already spent too much money on hair products and I haven't even tried the bioterra curl creme or the GVP conditioning balm.
    CG since September 2010
    thick, medium-coarse, low-normal porosity (?), 2c/3a hair!
    growing out my hair to BSL!

experimenting with...
    low-poo/ co-wash: Everyday Shea Moisturizing Lavender Shampoo & tressemme naturals moisture
    rinse-out/ leave-in: GFTN, CJAO, CJRM, TJ nourish, GVP Conditioning Balm
    styling: HESMU, CJCIAB, eco styler krystal, BRHG

"I'm as free as my hair." Mother Monster

I know a couple people in the thread were saying that's what they do, and if it works, keep it up! I do that as well because my hair takes FOREVER to absorb moisture. (Maybe I am low porisoty after all?).

I think stiffer may be a protein issue from what I am gathering. It seems that too much protein = stiff, unmanageable, brittle, brassy, etc (All after being moisturized enough, of course), and overmoisturized is mushy, frizzy, etc.

I understand the too much on hair products. I finally picked up some of the GVP CB, but that's because the other stuff I was using (Giovanni's TTTT) was seriously drying my hair out and making it very unmanageable. I'll likely be giving that to my mom or sister since one of them is likely going to be able to use it.

Ok, I must vent (Feel free to ignore): Yesterday, I went to walmart to see if they had any coconut oil or anything I could use to make my own deep treatment that did not reuire a blender. I was also looking for some stuff for the Oil Clensing Method for my face. Well, I start looking at all the oils, and since I know most of that stuff is in the ethnic section, I started looking through them. Almost every single thing had mineral oil as the first ingredient! I was so upset! I could not find one "pure" oil or oils with something in them that was tolerable for my hair. Gah! I was so upset. Ok. End rant now :D

Hair Routine:

I think stiffer may be a protein issue from what I am gathering. It seems that too much protein = stiff, unmanageable, brittle, brassy, etc (All after being moisturized enough, of course), and overmoisturized is mushy, frizzy, etc.

I understand the too much on hair products. I finally picked up some of the GVP CB, but that's because the other stuff I was using (Giovanni's TTTT) was seriously drying my hair out and making it very unmanageable. I'll likely be giving that to my mom or sister since one of them is likely going to be able to use it.

That's odd, that I know of none of the hair products I've been using contain any hair products. I believe my hair is more on the normal/coarser side though, and if I remember correctly coarser hair has a natural abundance of proteins? Most days, my hair poofs quite easily after I shower and apply my styling cream and there's not as many clumps making the curl pattern not as defined. would that be a sign of over conditioning? it's harder to tell because most of the time I shower at night, and I wake up with curls that are more defined from where I've slept on them.

this process is so confusing!
    CG since September 2010

experimenting with...
    low-poo/ co-wash: Everyday Shea Moisturizing Lavender Shampoo & tressemme naturals moisture

Hmm. I have no idea. I am finding my hair to be rather.... bleah currently, but mine, I think, is from dryness. I'm trying a couple new things - the Conditioning Balm, Honey, and showering at night. We'll see if any of them make a difference in my hair. I should have put curl cream and/or gel/oil in my hair tonight though, but I didn't. I may do that now even though it's been drying for a while... Hmm...

Hair Routine:

curly.g wrote: »
    Sorry I haven't responded lately, I haven't been on my computer in a couple of days.

Whenever I shower, I always co-wash/low poo and condition, but I leave my conditioner in while I wash my body and face and shave, do you think that would be similar to spritz and conIdit? I usually don't rush through my showers, so often times conditioner is in my hair for close to 10 minutes or more. My hair always seems more moisturized afterwards.

I know this isn't what you guys have been discussing lately, but I think I've been having a problem with over moisturizing if that's even possible. I used quite a bit of my Giovanni leave-in after my shower today and a dab of my curl cream and it made my hair stiffer and a little harder to manage. I've never had this problem before.

I would love to try coconut oil in my hair, but I have skin allergies to coconuts so that's out of the question. There's so many things I want to try, but I've already spent too much money on hair products and I haven't even tried the bioterra curl creme or the GVP conditioning balm.

I think what you're doing in the shower is pretty good for your hair.. I think the idea behind the spritz and condition method is that when you get your hair soaking wet in the shower, it absorbs a lot of water and there isn't much room to absorb conditioner.. So this way you only get your hair wet enough to be able to distribute conditioner and the conditioner is what your hair aborbs the most instead of water. Also your shower time is cut a lot shorter so it takes much less time for it to dry. But if what you do is working for you, stick with it. I rarely have time to leave my conditioner in my hair for even 5 minutes in the shower, so this method really works for me.

Overconditioned hair is usually described as sort of mushy. It's frizzy but if you feel the hair, it's really soft. In some cases, it's too soft to hold a curl pattern. It's also prone to breakage and sometimes can even look a bit oily. I agree with Emerwen, it sounds like your hair has too much protein. A lot of hair products and conditioners have protein that you might miss. And you're right, coarse hair tends to have more protein than finer hair, but I think porosity/elasticity is a bigger indicator. You can have coarse hair that has high porosity from chemical/heat damage and you would need protein.. I have pretty coarse hair and low porosity and low to normal elasticity so my hair dislikes protein. But I've been avoiding proteins mostly and I did a PT 2 days ago and my hair was fine with it. So you need to figure out the balance of moisture and protein for your own hair. If you feel well conditioned after your rinse-out, try going without leave-in. Or Instead of completely rinsing out your rinse-out, just stick your head under the shower for a few seconds so you don't rinse it all out and then don't put any extra leave-in.

Ok, I must vent (Feel free to ignore): Yesterday, I went to walmart to see if they had any coconut oil or anything I could use to make my own deep treatment that did not reuire a blender. I was also looking for some stuff for the Oil Clensing Method for my face. Well, I start looking at all the oils, and since I know most of that stuff is in the ethnic section, I started looking through them. Almost every single thing had mineral oil as the first ingredient! I was so upset! I could not find one "pure" oil or oils with something in them that was tolerable for my hair. Gah! I was so upset. Ok. End rant now :D

YAY! You got the GVPCB! I really hope it works for you. It would suck that i've been hyping it up so much and it didn't work for you. But it does wonders for my hair so I hope it has the same effect on yours. :occasion7:

Ok, so I went to the grocery store yesterday and did some scouting for you. I found 100% pure virgin coconut oil in the organic section of my grocery store. It's sad, but in the 15 years that I've lived here, I've never been to that section and I discovered they have a ton of natural beauty products too. The coconut oil is in the cooking oils section of the organic section though. Also.. Bad news.. It's expensive. It comes in a peanut-butter jar size and is solid and was about $8-9. I live in a pretty small town, and we have several Indian stores. They're usually sketchy places that are hard to find. So maybe you'll find one? :dontknow:

I totally understand your frustration with the oils. Everything has mineral oil or silicones. Look in the cooking oil section. You can't really cook with mineral oil or silicones, so everything is pretty pure there. I've been doing the oil cleansing method too! I was using olive oil, but found out that it is comedogenic so I'm switching to safflower oil. I couldn't find sunflower oil sadly. Also the DT packets (all the ones I've seen atleast) have 'cones in them! I used one a couple of weeks ago and it had dimethicone. And the Palmer's coconut oil one I was describing to you had a 'xane. Maybe you could make stuff at home that doesn't require a blender.. Like with yogurt and honey and oils and stuff that you can mix by hand. Or just put olive oil in your hair (it absorbs like coconut oil and is a cheaper alternative...).

Also, I am now dying to try amla. I did the spritz and condish yesterday and used all my regular products (LI, curl creme, gel) and did the "super soaker" method after the LI and curl creme before putting gel in. I got great clumps! But my waves were so weak. I was a 2b and not a spiral in sight! I'd love something that could enhance my curl pattern. I've heard of amla being mixed with henna, so if cassia is a sister to henna, maybe that would work as well?

I've finally figured out the answer to all my hair problems. Well a lot of them. I need to cut my hair. The ends are damaged and split and when the rest of my hair is soft and moisturized the ends are still tangly and rough and gross. And someone on the boards told me that she had problems with tangles and roughness for months after CG but after getting a hair cut, they magically disappeared. So... no more new products... I need to get a hair cut. :tongue3:

I think my hair likes honey. I really do. It was really shiney last night, and the way I clipped it up and slept on it has made the top of my hair so pretty! :D I've gotten lots of compliments on the top today because I have a few little ringlets along the top of my head and a bunch of nice curl :D I should have put gel or oil or something in my hair last night after i got out of the shower, but all I did was the conditioning balm and some curl cream, so, I have some frizz, but no more than I used to when I had mousse in. I'm trying to get some decent pics, but they're not working so well (bad lighting in here, and my webcam is my only current camera.)

But, so far, I like the CB a lot. It is LOADS better than the giovanni stuff.

Hmmm. I may have to look in the "organic" section. But, I didn't find any at the store that has a bunch of organic stuffs, unfortunately. So, I dunno. I know in Dallas we have a lot of Indian stores, but I don't know about my town. I need to ask my mom, she may know. I thought I found some cold-pressed CO at one of the walmarts, but I don't remember where it was. I need to go to the other one and see if it is there (We have 3 walmarts here in town, and I go to 2 fairly regularly).

I am thinking that my hair does not like most oils, because trying to put them on my hair makes it feel funny. My hair just does not absorb them well. Jojaba was not good on my hair unless I left it on overnight, which I may try again with the CB.

As for PTs, I think I am going to do just straight up Geletain. I remember my hair really liking that when they put it in my hair hoping to get it to hold a funky position, but since they messed it up, it had no hold. I had to run to class before I had a chance to rinse it out, so it sat in my hair for a couple hours, and my hair was so soft when I rinsed my hair out.

I really want to do the Amala. I think I will order some with my next paycheck. Amala and Cassia, I think. I just need to find someone who is willing to help me make sure it's evenly spread over my head. :oops:

ETA: These are the best pics I could get today. I may try this again with gel or oil to see if I can eliminate some of the frizz.

http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m104/Elyiana/Snapshot_20101018.jpg

http://s102.photobucket.com/albums/m104/Elyiana/?action=view&current=Snapshot_20101018_7.jpg

http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m104/Elyiana/Snapshot_20101018_9.jpg -- my crown is my frizziest place, any idea how to keep it from being so frizzy while keeping body in it?

http://s102.photobucket.com/albums/m104/Elyiana/?action=view&current=Snapshot_20101018_10.jpg

So, not great pics, but oh well. You can't really see the dimension, but it's there, and I am soooo happy! :D I may be attempting to do this more often.

Hair Routine:

I think my hair likes honey. I really do. It was really shiney last night, and the way I clipped it up and slept on it has made the top of my hair so pretty! :D I've gotten lots of compliments on the top today because I have a few little ringlets along the top of my head and a bunch of nice curl :D I should have put gel or oil or something in my hair last night after i got out of the shower, but all I did was the conditioning balm and some curl cream, so, I have some frizz, but no more than I used to when I had mousse in. I'm trying to get some decent pics, but they're not working so well (bad lighting in here, and my webcam is my only current camera.)

But, so far, I like the CB a lot. It is LOADS better than the giovanni stuff.

Hmmm. I may have to look in the "organic" section. But, I didn't find any at the store that has a bunch of organic stuffs, unfortunately. So, I dunno. I know in Dallas we have a lot of Indian stores, but I don't know about my town. I need to ask my mom, she may know. I thought I found some cold-pressed CO at one of the walmarts, but I don't remember where it was. I need to go to the other one and see if it is there (We have 3 walmarts here in town, and I go to 2 fairly regularly).

I am thinking that my hair does not like most oils, because trying to put them on my hair makes it feel funny. My hair just does not absorb them well. Jojaba was not good on my hair unless I left it on overnight, which I may try again with the CB.

As for PTs, I think I am going to do just straight up Geletain. I remember my hair really liking that when they put it in my hair hoping to get it to hold a funky position, but since they messed it up, it had no hold. I had to run to class before I had a chance to rinse it out, so it sat in my hair for a couple hours, and my hair was so soft when I rinsed my hair out.

I really want to do the Amala. I think I will order some with my next paycheck. Amala and Cassia, I think. I just need to find someone who is willing to help me make sure it's evenly spread over my head. :oops:

ETA: These are the best pics I could get today. I may try this again with gel or oil to see if I can eliminate some of the frizz.

http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m104/Elyiana/Snapshot_20101018.jpg

http://s102.photobucket.com/albums/m104/Elyiana/?action=view&current=Snapshot_20101018_7.jpg

http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m104/Elyiana/Snapshot_20101018_9.jpg -- my crown is my frizziest place, any idea how to keep it from being so frizzy while keeping body in it?

http://s102.photobucket.com/albums/m104/Elyiana/?action=view&current=Snapshot_20101018_10.jpg

So, not great pics, but oh well. You can't really see the dimension, but it's there, and I am soooo happy! :D I may be attempting to do this more often.

Your hair definitely looks really nice! It definitely does look like it curled nicely. And healthy!:thumbleft:

I'm glad you like the CB so far. :toothy4:

How are you using honey? I've tried it multiple ways - as a honey rinse both before my rinse-out and after (without rinsing the honey rinse out again so it was left in my hair), in a DT, in my PT. I haven't tried putting a dab of it in my conditioner. But all the other ways, it doesn't seem to do a lot for my hair. It makes it a little hard. But everyone seems to think it's the greatest thing ever so I really want it to work for me.

Gelatin sounds like a good idea. I'll have to try that next time I do a PT.

My hair hasn't been too great lately. Better than pre-CG, but still not great. It's sort of lifeless. My 2c/3a is slowly turning into 2b/2c. I don't really know what to do with it. It usually ends up in a bun. I can't even do it half up because the bottom part of my hair with the longer layers doesn't curl much or evenly so it looks bad. It's barely clumping. The only good thing about it is that it feels a lot healthier. But the ends are just so ... UGH! I really need to get rid of them.

I've been having problems with mine looking really bleck lately, so I am grateful for a nice hair day, even if it is a bit frizzy. My hair was really really dry, so yesterday, I put a bunch of CB on it in the shower, let it sit the whole time I was in (which was a while as I was doing the OCM and I was shaving (which always takes forever because the shower is small, and I am tall...)). After I shaved, I took a bit of honey and put it in my still-as-of-yet-unrinsed hair, then I cleaned my body and what not, left it in for a couple minutes, then did the whole ice queen thing. After that, I turned off the shower, put some honey in my hand, put an eual amount or more of the CB, scrunched that into my hair, combed my hair with a medium tooth comb (while upside down), then scrunched out some of the moisture (Even at this point, my hair was shinier), clipped it up with three smallish clips, left it for a bit, then scrunched some more CB and some curl cream in, reclipped it, then slept on it.

I want to try leaving honey in longer to see what it does for my hair.

I need to trim up a little further as well, but I don't trust many people to do it, so, yeah...

Hair Routine:

I did something bad. Something very, very, very, very bad. And I know I'm going to cry about it later. I got so annoyed with my hair today, I just put some coconut oil in it and braided it into pigtails. And then a few hours later, I was still extremely annoyed. And stressed in general about my board exams, and an ongoing 3 day war with my boyfriend. I'm not sure how this was the resolution to my life crises. But I grabbed a pair of scissors and just started chopping the ends off my braids. And then I remembered I had layers. So I took out the braids and started haphazardly chopping away at the layers... And my bangs. And I probably unintentionally added a few more layers where they don't belong. I don't know anything about cutting hair. I've never given myself or anyone else a haircut. This wasn't even a haircut. It was a nervous breakdown involving a pair of scissors. Kitchen scissors. :goofy:

Oh dear. Go put some moisture and protein (?) onto your hair! Maybe the scissors were sharp enough not to do too much damage? :confused1:

Hair Routine:

Hhahahahahahahahahahahahahaha... more maniacal laughing.

Ok, this could be worse. It IS curlier. It looks somewhat intentional to anyone that doesn't know what I did. Like I wanted to look like a deranged Shirley Temple. Maybe. I hope. Messy and crazy is totally in right now, right?

This is what I looked like earlier today (my head is tilted forward so it's slightly longer than what it looks like):
    Snapshot_20101018_3-vi.jpg

This is now:
    Snapshot_20101018_11-vi.jpg

Snapshot_20101018_10-vi.jpg

It's not the end of the world, right? It doesn't look ttooooooo bad.

I'm trying really, really hard to suppress a panic attack.

• Curly WurlyCurly Wurly Posts: 6Registered Users
    I like it! It frames your face in a really cute way! It also looks curlier.
    ~J
    CW
    It's really cute! I like it a lot, actually :D I would still have my stylist (if I had one) trim the ends with hair cutting scissors just to be sure there are no damaged ends, but I think it looks good :D

And it definitely is curlier! Maybe you got a bunch of the really dead ends off by doing that! :D

Hair Routine:

Curly.g - I don't know if you're still reading your thread that me and Emerwen took over (sorry again!), but i have a question for you!

I bought the Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose condish and used it today as a DT. Man is it weird. You're right, it's like nothing I've ever used before. and it's SHIMMERY (WTH?). It has no slip but it melted away my tangles. And it's super thick and hard to distribute so I used a ton. How much do you use? Do you seem to have these problems too? Have you ever been overconditioned with it? Are you using it as a rinse-out or leave-in or DT? Do you still like it?

Curly.g - I don't know if you're still reading your thread that me and Emerwen took over (sorry again!), but i have a question for you!

I bought the Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose condish and used it today as a DT. Man is it weird. You're right, it's like nothing I've ever used before. and it's SHIMMERY (WTH?). It has no slip but it melted away my tangles. And it's super thick and hard to distribute so I used a ton. How much do you use? Do you seem to have these problems too? Have you ever been overconditioned with it? Are you using it as a rinse-out or leave-in or DT? Do you still like it?

I've been using my Island Naturals as a rinse out and I use quite a bit whenever I use it since it's harder to distribute evenly. I'm not quite sure how I feel about it yet, I keep switching back and forth between that and my GFTN, but the texture of the conditioner itself keeps throwing me off. I don't feel like it's really giving my hair the moisture it needs either. I kind of wish I hadn't bought it because now I don't want to buy the GVP conditioning balm because I have two bottles of conditioner I just bought not to long ago, especially since I paid more for the AO than I should have.

I'm still so confused about this whole process. My hair has had a duller appearance and I noticed dandruff last night after my shower. I think I found a hidden sulfate in the curling creme I've been using though, maybe that's why? I'm about to break down and buy those products you recommended from Sally's, but I'm scared to keep spending money on products that might not work for my hair. I want to find a low maintenance routine that will still make my hair look great, and I feel like this process is anything but low maintenance. I just want to have pretty hair, why is this so complicated?

On another note... your hair looks so much curlier after you cut it! I'm jealous of your clumps! have you noticed a big difference?
    CG since September 2010

experimenting with...

I don't know what the Island Naturals is like, but the Honeysuckle Rose one was actually really moisturizing. Once I got past the texture, I realize it's a pretty good product. But since it was so expensive, I only intend to use it once a month for a super deep conditioning DT.

Honestly, I'm starting to get the point you are at. I've spent entirely too much money on different products and GVP CB and Biotera curl creme (two of the first products I bought) are still my only HG's. Everything else has been an epic fail for me. I recommend you just use up the stuff you have already (and if your hair doesn't look the greatest, wear a lot of buns.. haha). And then start "fresh" with a simple routine. A conditioner you know you like and works for you (cowash/rinseout/leave-in) and a simple gel like one of the Herbal Essences ones. I also strongly, strongly recommend investing in a [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/DevaCurl-LowPoo-p-54.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=devacurl-lowpoo]low-poo[/buylink]. Buildup or any number of other things can be causing your dandruff so you need to occassionally use something stronger to clean everything. I've been using Yes To Carrots Nourishing shampoo once a week (the bottle will most likely last me almost a year with the amount I'm using). Burt's Bee's is another one people like a lot. Vinegar rinses are also supposed to help a bit with scalp problems. I would still absolutely recommend the GVP conditioning balm whenever you get around to buying new stuff. But mostly, keep your routine simple until you figure out what your hair likes and dislikes. But to be fair, it's probably going to be a while before you get "pretty hair". And sadly, it most likely won't be low maintenance. I'm learning the hard way that I have to make compromises. I'm trying to do a simpler routine, but that means I have to accept frizz and give up some clumping/curl enhancement. And if I want frizz-free hair with clumps and curl, I have to spend a bit more time and product. I really wish I could find a routine to get everything, but great hair will always take extra time and effort so I have to compromise low maintenance for great hair or great hair for low maintenance. :glasses10:

What curling cream have you been using? And what is the sulfate in it? Sulfates are generally only meant for cleansing so they shouldn't be in a styling product that you would leave in your hair. I really think the dullness issue would also be fixed with an occasional [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/DevaCurl-LowPoo-p-54.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=devacurl-lowpoo]low-poo[/buylink]. Dullness is often caused by buildup.

Haha, yes, my cut has actually helped a lot with my curl pattern. But I still have bad days and I'm noticing the things that worked before don't always work consistently as the weather gets colder and the dew points drop. I'm still learning!

ETA: I just noticed your signature has the styling cream you're using so I looked up the ingredients. i'm assuming the hidden sulfate you say was behentremonium methosulfate. Don't worry, it's not a sulfate like you'd find in shampoos. In fact, it's really good for you. It's an ingredient that gives conditioners/styling products a lot of "slip" - so great for detangling. In fact most people on the boards actually look for this stuff in their products, especially higher up on the list. I did notice, however, that the styling cream contains a polyquat, and a lot of people have problems with buildup with polyquats. I use quite a few products with them, but since I [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/DevaCurl-LowPoo-p-54.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=devacurl-lowpoo]low-poo[/buylink], I don't have problems with buildup.
    curly.g wrote: »
    I've been using my Island Naturals as a rinse out and I use quite a bit whenever I use it since it's harder to distribute evenly. I'm not quite sure how I feel about it yet, I keep switching back and forth between that and my GFTN, but the texture of the conditioner itself keeps throwing me off. I don't feel like it's really giving my hair the moisture it needs either. I kind of wish I hadn't bought it because now I don't want to buy the GVP conditioning balm because I have two bottles of conditioner I just bought not to long ago, especially since I paid more for the AO than I should have.

I'm still so confused about this whole process. My hair has had a duller appearance and I noticed dandruff last night after my shower. I think I found a hidden sulfate in the curling creme I've been using though, maybe that's why? I'm about to break down and buy those products you recommended from Sally's, but I'm scared to keep spending money on products that might not work for my hair. I want to find a low maintenance routine that will still make my hair look great, and I feel like this process is anything but low maintenance. I just want to have pretty hair, why is this so complicated?

On another note... your hair looks so much curlier after you cut it! I'm jealous of your clumps! have you noticed a big difference?

I've been using a Trader Joe's Tea Trea Shampoo about once a week, would that count as a [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/DevaCurl-LowPoo-p-54.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=devacurl-lowpoo]low-poo[/buylink]? I know quite a few people on the boards use their shampoos and conditioners. I've also seen a lot of good things about the Yes To shampoos on the boards, I might have to check them out! is is hydrating or do you mostly just use it as a cleanser?

Thank you so much for the information! I'm relieved that behentremonium methosulfate is actually a good thing. I still really want to go out and buy the conditioning balm (I'll try my best to wait until at least my GFTN is out =)), but I think I'll wait and just buy an Herbal Essences gel right now to help add definition. Is it the Set Me Up that you like? Is it a stronger gel? I'm assuming you probably have to scrunch out the crunch, but it's not flaky is it?
    CG since September 2010

experimenting with...

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file