Dry Shedding Curls

AshinoDAshinoD Registered Users Posts: 12
Good evening curly cuties,
I have been a long time lurker but now I am having some serious hair issues so posting is now necessary. (I have tried to find other posts about this but I am having no luck so if this is a repost I'm sorry). I have had natural hair for almost a year now and I really haven't thought too much about the process...until now. When I wash/co-wash (no cones, no sulfates) I shed something crazy. I have plugged up my shower more than once, my bathroom is covered in curly curls and my hair just feels thirsty. Does anyone have any ideas of great moisturizing products to use? All help is appreciated.
Head full of 3c/4a Kinky Curly Curls
Big Chop Nov '09
Naturally Curly Newbie :wave:

Comments

• alyssabriealyssabrie Registered Users Posts: 110
    AshinoD wrote: »
    Good evening curly cuties,
    I have been a long time lurker but now I am having some serious hair issues so posting is now necessary. (I have tried to find other posts about this but I am having no luck so if this is a repost I'm sorry). I have had natural hair for almost a year now and I really haven't thought too much about the process...until now. When I wash/co-wash (no cones, no sulfates) I shed something crazy. I have plugged up my shower more than once, my bathroom is covered in curly curls and my hair just feels thirsty. Does anyone have any ideas of great moisturizing products to use? All help is appreciated.

How often do you wash.. On another forum I visit, this comes up a lot. The ladies would shed very little between washes and on wash day.... Holy Cow:blob3: But up to 100 per day is normal, so if you are only shedding like 5 hairs a day on non-wash days, then when you wash you notice 300-400 you might be alarmed but it averages out to a normal amount. It might be that the hairs are ready to shed but don't get that agitation that helps the hair strands fall out until you wash/cowash (rubbing your scalp with your fingers and then detangling)..

Hope that helps you out..

If you think that it's more than 100/day on average, you should go see a dermatologist...
    5077634794_2cf0982890_m.jpg

Photo Album:blob5:

small waves with corkscrews at the end/medium porosity/medium strand thickness/low density

HENNA! :toothy4:

• AshinoDAshinoD Registered Users Posts: 12
    Some weeks I wash every other day others weeks I may wash everyday. It just depends on how my scalp feels. I have atopic dermatitis and some weeks are better then others. I thought this may be the reason for the shedding but looking back on it I do shed normally but the moisture is lacking. I used shea moisture leave in and it's HORRID on my hair.
    Big Chop Nov '09
  • journeygirljourneygirl Registered Users Posts: 33
    I shed alot too...my tub is clogged on the regular! But it was the same way when I was relaxed. I think the reason I notice it more now, is because I'm washing my own hair instead of going to the salon every week.

If you're looking for a moisturizing conditioner try the Aubrey Organics Honey Suckle Rose (at Whole Foods)...I deep condition with it weekly, love it! Can't say it cuts down on the shedding (I think that's just how my scalp/hair is) but it does leave me moisturized. :toothy8:

event.png

Yea I have to buckle down and get a strainer for my tub, its a damn mess. I am looking into Qhmet Biologics or some other type of butters cause I NEED a solution. I tried making my own shea butter but i just wasn't feeling it. It felt more greasy then anything. I will check out Aubrey organics thanks.
    Big Chop Nov '09
  • NaturalistaNaturalista Registered Users Posts: 5,491 Curl Neophyte
    How often are you deep conditioning? Drinking water?? Using protein based products? Too much or too little of these things can cause dryness.
    Type: 3c with some 4a highlighted
    Low porosity thick/coarse texture. nml elasticity
    Routine: No rules, just happy hair

Cleanse: CJDF, Prell, LUSH Curly Wurly, Bobeam
    LI/RO:BBB, CJ, SheaM, HEHIS, Garnier, KBN Shealoe, CD Chocolat, Oyin HH
    Styling: CJ, CR, UFD, Zuresh, Ecostyler,MJ
    PT/DT: BBB, CJ, Lather, MJSSB

HUGE PJJJJJJJJ!!!!:love4:

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]]
    Facebook|Twitter
    Those are definitely things i need to look into. I am gonna up my vitamin and water intake. As far a protein I think i am fairly sensitive, I'm gonna try to eliminate it and see how that goes. Thanks
    Big Chop Nov '09
  • greenandchicgreenandchic Registered Users Posts: 2,584 Curl Neophyte
    In addition to what everyone said, I realized that I need to keep my hair sealed when I go out in the heat or dry wind. The weather can wreak havoc on my hair at times too.

I shed a fair amount too. On my wash days its about 4-5 days worth depending on how little I manipulate my hair during my "off days".
    APL BSL MBL WL HL TBL | porous, fine/medium strands, medium density
    My Fotki!
    Below: Typical PS bun
    004-vi.jpg
  • afrosheenqueenafrosheenqueen Registered Users Posts: 5,400 Curl Connoisseur
    Depending on where you live, watch your glycerin use. If it's a dry climate, it may increase dryness. I've been going through a hard time since the weather cooled down. And discovered what the issue was.

Also this was mentioned in a recent thread - sometimes shedding happens in seasons as a part of you hair's growth cycle. I shed more hair after winter than any other time.
    4a/b Texlaxed hair w/ highlights. Medium texture & high porosity.

HG's: CJ Daily Fix, Bobeam Cheris Hibiscus shampoo bar, KC Spiral Spritz, Knot Today, CJ Rehab, KBB LL Hair Mask, Cassia, KCCC, oil blend of Avocado, Camellia, Jojoba, & Meadowfoam oils

SL APL BSL MBL

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file