All Natural and Loving It!!

nubiana30nubiana30 Registered Users Posts: 39
Hello everyone,

I'm not really new to Naturally Curly; I've actually been stalking it for the past 9 months or so. And it has been very helpful to me.

Anywho, I did my big chop in October of 2009 but I wore a variety of braids (extensions) and a couple wigs to grow my hair out for about 15 months-my last relaxer was June 5, 2009. Yesterday was the first time I wore my hair 100% natural. It feels so freeing:toothy4:. I was a little nervous about debuting my new look because very few people knew I was going natural. But most of my coworkers gave me compliments and a couple of people actually thought I was wearing a hair piece (black people, LOL)!! I love my hair and so far I'm enjoying getting to know it better and playing around with new styles.

So here are a few pics: The first two are how I wore my hair today and the last one is a comparison pic of my hair when I first big chopped and my hair now. Hope you enjoy the pics and hope to post more and join the discussions now that I can actually add to them.
Hair type: 4a, I believe
Hair Texture: Thick, coarse, coily
Low porosity

~ I am beautiful no matter what they say-because I'm made in Gods image. I'm loving how He created me!~

Comments

• iCurlziCurlz Registered Users Posts: 38
    Beautiful curls~ welcome to your new addiction!
    Hair Type: 4a and coily
    Last Relaxer: 2/14, B/C: 5/13
    Staples:
    Cond: YTCu
    Moist: Miss Jessie's Baby Buttercreme
    Styler: Evoo EcoStyler Gel

"Free your mind, and the rest will follow..."
  • kinkycurlygirl72kinkycurlygirl72 Registered Users Posts: 7
    You have great curl definition. What is your hair routine/products if you don't mind sharing?
  • nubiana30nubiana30 Registered Users Posts: 39
    Thanks, iCurlz. I'm already very addicted! :toothy5:
    Low porosity

~ I am beautiful no matter what they say-because I'm made in Gods image. I'm loving how He created me!~
    You have great curl definition. What is your hair routine/products if you don't mind sharing?

Thanks, kinkycurlygirl72. I'm still developing a regimen, but here is what I do so far. I wash twice a week (since I exercise and sweat in my hair). I generally conditioner wash with Suave Naturals coconut conditioner and detangle in the shower with a wide toothed comb. When I use a lot of product on my hair or when my hair is very dirty, I cleanse it using a bentonite clay mask for my hair and scalp. I use Organics [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Curly-Hair-Solutions-Curl-Keeper-p-28.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=curly-hair-solutions-curl-keeper]Curl Keeper[/buylink] as my leave-in conditioner, for now. To achieve the style in my avatar, I washed my hair overnight, put in the leave-in, put in about 12 big twists, slept on it, then the next morning I unraveled and coated each section with Long Aid curl activator gel for extra dry hair. I live in a humid climate so my curls stay moisturized all day due to the glycerin in the Long Aid. Besides that, I'm experimenting with other hairstyles and looking for products to keep my hair moisturized during the colder months.
    Low porosity

• FunkyCurlGurlFunkyCurlGurl Registered Users Posts: 264
    Congrats on the BC! You have gorgeous hair!
    event.png

http://public.fotki.com/funkycurlgirl/
    "when I feel her jump up and dance / I hear the music! my God / i'm talking about my nappy hair!"
    - Lucille Clifton, "Homage to my Hair."
  • curly_cassycurly_cassy Registered Users Posts: 47
    Congratulations! It seems like you already know about your hair and how to take care of it. I haven't worn my hair out yet so I'm excited to experience that. I don't know what my coworkers will say
    4a/b Hair!
    BC'd - October 2010 with about 2 inches of growth:toothy8:

Products
    Eco Styler, Suave Naturals, Shea Butter, Aloe Vera, Olive Oil, Cholesterol, Glycerin & Honey
    Congrats on the BC! You have gorgeous hair!
    Thanks! I'm loving it. :)
    Congratulations! It seems like you already know about your hair and how to take care of it. I haven't worn my hair out yet so I'm excited to experience that. I don't know what my coworkers will say

This is actually day 9 of me wearing my own natural hair out. I know quite a few things about caring for natural hair because I did tons & tons of research over the past 16 months-Youtube, other natural hair sites and NaturallyCurly. I wanted to be somewhat prepared to care for my hair when I wore it out. I still have to learn how to keep my hair from being dry during the winter. I figured out that I can use glycerin based products during the summer where I live to achieve this, but the cooler months its a different story.

As far as work, I had the same fear you do, but I told myself that as long as I look my best and find myself beautiful it doesn't matter what they say. The first day I made sure my hair was cute and my outfit was bangin and nobody could tell me I wasn't gorgeous! LOL! The people I thought would probably say something negative were the main ones that complimented me. The others that didn;t say anything just acted like everything was normal. So it's all in how you present yourself. Plus if anyone had made the "nappy" comment, I had planned to retort "I;m happy to be nappy" or "God made me this way, take it up with Him"!
    Low porosity

• twirlygrannytwirlygranny Banned Users Posts: 1,114 Curl Neophyte
    Love your hair...enjoy!
  • naturally yoursnaturally yours Registered Users Posts: 31
    congrat! your hair looks beautiful!
    congrat! your hair looks beautiful!
    Love your hair...enjoy!

Thanks, Ladies!!
    Low porosity

• hippychichippychic Registered Users Posts: 4,673 Curl Neophyte
    beautiful hair :)
    LOIS (OS); cottony, TYPE 4 hair, fine/med strands; no cones bcz my hair hates them; last relaxer '98; now low porosity:?, ignores most natural hair rules; BC #8

faves: suave, v05 shampoo, conditioner (my own), raw shea butter, castor oil, peanut oil, aloe juice
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • bellecheveuxbellecheveux Registered Users Posts: 62
    Beautiful!
    the kinky, coily, curly hair care blog
    My Stats :occasion2:
    Last Relaxer: October 20, 2008
    Big Chop:
    March 2, 2009
    Current Length:
    9 inches (chin length in front, apl in back)
    Texture
    : 4a/b
    Beautiful!
    hippychic wrote: »
    beautiful hair :)

Aww, thank you both!:toothy4:
    Low porosity

• MsNaturalRootsMsNaturalRoots Registered Users Posts: 48
    Loves It <3<3
    With Love,
    Angel :angel8::angel8::angel8:

Check me out on : facebook and youtube ( my user name is msnaturalroots)
  • blessedhimeblessedhime Registered Users Posts: 1,458
    Congrats nubiana on your BC. Your curls are just gorgeous and so shiny. I love! :love7:
    Blessed Princess Diamante, High Archivist of the Thrifty Trinitarians in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Last Relaxer: July 31st, 2008
    BC: 14th August, 2009
    Favourite Product Line: None at the moment
    HGs: Amla, brahmi, maka, neem, hibiscus and fenugreek powders.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file