Raw Shea Butter...now what?

I recently purchased some raw shea butter b/c of all of the positive comments that I have heard about the benefits of it. Now that I have it, though, what can I mix it with to create a good conditioner/moisturizer (leave in) for my hair? Also, if you know of any other oils or butters that I can mix it with for a daily body moisturizer, that would be good too. : ) - thank you, Mekia34

Comments

• Curly_JammyCurly_Jammy Registered Users Posts: 626
    Check you think link, a lot of curlies here use shea to seal thier hair

http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/showthread.php?t=91422
    3c, fine, porous,MBL
    Pre: EVCO Poo: GTTT DC:AO GPB, TJ Nourish Spa+EVOO
    LI: Cantu Shea butter LI, YesToCarrots,(AVJ+H2O) Spritz
    Style: AVG, Eco Seal: Qp Mango & Olive oil, Shea AloeMix
  • MHassonMHasson Registered Users Posts: 46
    Shea Butter isn't usually used as a moisturizer, like Curly_Jammy said, most women usually use it as a sealer to lock IN the moisture over the hair cuticle. Find something with a high water content, and use the shea butter as a sealer.
    As a user of shea butter myself, I can honestly say that my hair has never felt better. It stays shiny, softer, and moisturized longer than the other products I use to use. A high butter/oil sealer can be good for curly hair that's thirsty for moisture!

This is my result of my first time using shea butter as a sealer http://i1142.photobucket.com/albums/n601/MHasson/Photoon2010-09-29at1536.jpg
    HAIR GOAL: Grow out heat damage and have a complete head of healthy curls! :)

Lovely 3C kinky-curls - HIGH Porosity - Massive amount of Heat Damage! wackk
    POO : Giovanni 50/50 Balanced
    CONDITIONER : Aussie (Co-Wash)
    DEEP TREATMENT CONDITIONER : Aubrey Organics Honey Suckle Rose[For Protein], still searching for a good MOISTURE conditioner, then a final rinse with ACV
    STYLERS : KCKT + Unrefined Ghana Shea Butter
  • LiyahLiyah Registered Users Posts: 118
    Here is a recipe I just did with shea butter:

8 oz. Shea butter
    4 tblspns of aloe vera gel
    2 tblspns castor oil
    1-2 tblspns of any light oil of your choice (almond oil, jojoba oil, etc.)
    2-3 tblspns coconut oil

I just added oils until it was the consistency I wanted. I didn't want it too oily so I added a little at a time. The aloe vera really helps define my braid outs and seems to cut the "greasyness" of the shea butter & castor oil.

HTH
  • morrighumorrighu Registered Users Posts: 707
    I mix it in to my home made FSG while it's still hot. Gotta love the KitchenAid :D

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file