CurlTalk

Afro hair (current trend in Japan)

MsNaturalRootsMsNaturalRoots Posts: 48Registered Users
OK guys, I was talking to my Asians friends today and apparently there is a huge trend in Japan. Japanese men and women are rocking Afros. I had to Google it to see for myself . They go to the hair salon and have what appears to be small perm rods placed in their hair. They then unravel them and pick the hair out. I thought it was so cool/cute.The moral of this thread..... be happy with what you have people.If other cultures can appreciate our nappy, kinky, curly hair then so should we.
With Love,
Angel :angel8::angel8::angel8:

Check me out on : facebook and youtube ( my user name is msnaturalroots)

Comments

• CerendipityCerendipity Posts: 5,091Registered Users
    yup and lets not get on them(asians) loving jamaicans more than saki.

Im not surprised though.
  • straightkinkystraightkinky Posts: 119Registered Users

Im not surprised though.

This! I see it every day. Afros and Apple Bottom jeans... WTF???
    See that thing sleeping in the corner? That's my GoGo Dancer and the source of all the white hair on my head... I am not going gray, dammit!
  • kaybkayb Posts: 5,054Registered Users
    I can assure you that the Japanese aren't loving this Jamaican. :laughing8:
    I ain't thirsty. There's plenty of fish in the sea, but I don't want all of them, can I have some standards? Or do we just have to settle, for someone's who meh and will do.
    "
    kayb wrote: »

Oh kayb... That's cuz you aren't a Jamaican MAN... you must have a penis. Japanese men aren't particularly fond of women of color, we aren't demure enough. < insert curtsy here>:iconbiggrin:

Shawny- You know they pay to learn to dance like that, at least in Okinawa. Funny thing to me is that they are called sexy in the video, but if a sistah was built and dressed like that everybody would be calling her po' and tryna give her some red beans and rice... just saying.
    See that thing sleeping in the corner? That's my GoGo Dancer and the source of all the white hair on my head... I am not going gray, dammit!
    Ha ha ha...true. The Jamaican men round here are for lack of a better expression "panty droppers."

The read beans and rice part, oh so true. Sometimes even if wanna read these women. :laughing8:

ETA.....read=feed
    I ain't thirsty. There's plenty of fish in the sea, but I don't want all of them, can I have some standards? Or do we just have to settle, for someone's who meh and will do.
    "
  • EllyEllyOxenFreeEllyEllyOxenFree Posts: 6,446Registered Users
    I'll say it again it's nice they appreciate afro textured hair but I think that style looks a hot mess. Please let an Asian with an afro come up to me, I am laughing in their face.
    BC'ed: 26 Dec 09
    YouTube
    Grand Duchess Fierce Freckles, Mistress of the Mighty Snap and Doyenne of the Potent Products Pavane in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
    ellepixie wrote: »
    I'll say it again it's nice they appreciate afro textured hair but I think that style looks a hot mess. Please let an Asian with an afro come up to me, I am laughing in their face.

If you want, I can send you one... But you have to have a Jamaican man in the area to keep her there long enough for you to laugh in her face...:laughing8:

If you want, I can send you one... But you have to have a Jamaican man in the area to keep her there long enough for you to laugh in her face...:laughing8:

Damn! I don't know any Jamaican men, but I think I can get a friend to do an accent for me...
    YouTube
    Grand Duchess Fierce Freckles, Mistress of the Mighty Snap and Doyenne of the Potent Products Pavane in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
  • Nappy_curly_crownNappy_curly_crown Posts: 4,162Registered Users
    black face 2010 rears its ugly head again.......

There was a thread on this a while back....and if I remember correctly....the majority of the curlies was not feeling it at all....and I tend to agree.
    Wanna talk products? Come Join us here!
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2FPlatinumPJ" class="Popup

Extremely thick, kinky curls/coils that have a mind of thier own!!!!

12459237.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • papermOonpapermOon Posts: 76Registered Users
    2reqddu.jpg

kc1fmv.jpg

287hlyu.jpg

r7895k.jpg

I can't hate on this dude's high top fade.
    I heard they gotta singe their hair to mimic ours!!damn thats some major damage!

And I'am not Jamaican (Montserratian/Trini/Bajan) but my bf is Japanese..and I got hit on by old Japanese men...yeah...old men always hit on me..bleh
    my hair is like a four leaf clover, full of a 4ish mixture of luck!! or in my case..locks (~.^)
    papermOon wrote: »
    2reqddu.jpg

kc1fmv.jpg

287hlyu.jpg

r7895k.jpg

I can't hate on this dude's high top fade.
    I heard they gotta singe their hair to mimic ours!!damn thats some major damage!

And I'am not Jamaican (Montserratian/Trini/Bajan) but my bf is Japanese..and I got hit on by old Japanese men...yeah...old men always hit on me..bleh

Don't get it twisted, you should see the weaves and blonde hair they rock over here.

In the mainland, that happens to me, but here in Okinawa, they just stare and say "ooh, rong foot- hipapu" and stand next to me measuring the length of my legs which usually strecth to thier mid back (I'm 5'10). The hipapu thing is a reference to my "bubble butt". Oh, and the old women walk up and grab my hair or pat on various parts of my body to confirm that they are real. This is only acceptable because there is no concept of personal space here.
  • AllyTAllyT Posts: 613Registered Users

There was a thread on this a while back....and if I remember correctly....the majority of the curlies was not feeling it at all....and I tend to agree.

Yeah sorry, I'm also not feeling it. I sure don't see Asian-Americans doing this.
  • adthomasadthomas Posts: 5,525Registered Users

I don't think this compares to the black face because I seriously doubt the Japanese are doing this to degrade Black culture. The Japanese people seem to soak up Western culture like a sponge even the worst stuff. I heard even Naomi Campbell had a hit record single over there. The way I see it if I'm offended by between them making their straight hair kinky then I need to be offended by Black people relaxing our kinky hair to make it straight.
    p.s. Asian men do check us out. I'm received a couple of comments about how nice my big behind is.:joker:
    Yes, it's real. No, you can't touch it. :wav:
  • CerendipityCerendipity Posts: 5,091Registered Users
    on my fathers side we come from hakka jamaicans, to be exact chinese, believe me some asians love anything kinky and black lol

my great-grandfather on my dads side came to ja in 1854 and married my great-grandmother who was pure jamaican, needless to say that side of the family disowned him.
  • NstinctiVnaturNstinctiVnatur Posts: 127Registered Users
    adthomas wrote: »

I don't think this compares to the black face because I seriously doubt the Japanese are doing this to degrade Black culture. The Japanese people seem to soak up Western culture like a sponge even the worst stuff. I heard even Naomi Campbell had a hit record single over there. The way I see it if I'm offended by between them making their straight hair kinky then I need to be offended by Black people relaxing our kinky hair to make it straight.
    p.s. Asian men do check us out. I'm received a couple of comments about how nice my big behind is.:joker:

I thought the same exact thing adthomas. I think it's interesting though...all it is is the 80s look coming back. Whites been making there hair nappy like...so whats the difference really? And we black women should pay more attention to the asian guys (their women are running to white men) b/c they are interested in us more than you think.
    Never:love5: relaxed
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Experimenting in creating my own products.
    I can assure you that there is black face on Japanese comedy shows, and it's one thing that is a huge surprise to many people of African descent when we come here. However, it's not coming from a racist place, for them it's meant to be funny and not negative. Black face doesn't have the same connotations in Japan as it does in other places.

Don't even get me started on Obama-rama (oh how I wish I had bought those Obama chopsticks).
    "

Actually, I think it does degrade black folks and black culture...even if that is not the intent. Remember.....the road to hell is paved with good intentions.

These Asian kids are being young, "absorbing western culture...even the bad". Its a subculture that while growing in popularity is not embraced by mainstream Asian culture. Yeah they try and speak slang and street dance....the girls walk around in thier apple bottom jeans and the dudes sagging thier pants....and its all cute and "oh they love us" for now.

Here's the kicker for me, at some point, these kids (who are usually in university or high school) are going to "grow up". And guess what, when time comes to "grow up" and get a "real" job...best believe they will NOT be rocking thier fake afros, locks, and permed nappy hair to the interview or to work. Why? Because it is not acceptable...which re-enforces that whole "to be acceptable to mainstream we have to white wash ourselves".

12459237.png

Actually, I think it does degrade black folks and black culture...even if that is not the intent. Remember.....the road to hell is paved with good intentions.

These Asian kids are being young, "absorbing western culture...even the bad". Its a subculture that while growing in popularity is not embraced by mainstream Asian culture. Yeah they try and speak slang and street dance....the girls walk around in thier apple bottom jeans and the dudes sagging thier pants....and its all cute and "oh they love us" for now.

Here's the kicker for me, at some point, these kids (who are usually in university or high school) are going to "grow up". And guess what, when time comes to "grow up" and get a "real" job...best believe they will NOT be rocking thier fake afros, locks, and permed nappy hair to the interview or to work. Why? Because it is not acceptable...which re-enforces that whole "to be acceptable to mainstream we have to white wash ourselves".

PREACH! Oooh girl, I just had the spirit hit me in my apt.
    YouTube
  • MsNaturalRootsMsNaturalRoots Posts: 48Registered Users

I didn't want this thread to turn into a issue of race.I simply wanted to show the current trend in Japan.
    I hate to respectfully disagree with you but to me modern day "black face" is pretty much the self hate in black community. We do more harm to ourselves then any other race. We are the only race that doesn't spend on it's own.We don't own our own businesses. We bring little income back into our own community. African Americans are more likely to die at the hands of another black person then any other race.(African Americans only comprise about 14 % of the U.S. Population, yet 43% of all murder victims in 2009 were African American, 93.1% of whom were killed were African American) . The top ten causes death for blacks are (Cardiovascular Disease,Cancer ,Stroke,Diabetes,Homicide,HIV/AIDS, Chronic lower respiratory disease,Nephritis, Nephrotic syndrome and Nephrosis ,Septicemia). Most which could have (for the most part) been prevented through proper diet, working out, proper screening and safe sex. African Americans accounted for 52% of new HIV diagnoses and 48% of AIDS diagnoses in 2009.Only 19% of African Americans have a bachelor's degree or higher. Only 2.9% of total black population have advance degrees (master's, doctorate, medical, law). I'm sorry to say but we "the black race" create our own stereotypes. Just listen to the music that is out there. For those of you who have children on here do you read to them? If so, how often and what do you read to them ( books like video vixen doesn't count)? Why as a community spend 9 billion dollars on hair care instead of your child's education or scholarships for African American children or anything positive for your community. Why berate and bash those who emulate us? Imitation is the ultimate form of flattery or maybe people are upset by this because they see themselves or someone they know in that form and don't like what they see. I don't find it offensive because in the videos I watched it was just a hair style. They weren't "acting black". Although I'm young, I've interact with many different people from may different walks of life. I am not going to judge people for their hair choices or the clothes they wear. At the end of the day its just hair.We need to spend more time and energy into things that really matter a good education, health, and the family unit..... OK I'm done...
    With Love,

kayb wrote: »

Oh come on, I'm sure you have some Asian persuasion in you lol :).
    With Love,

• hippychichippychic Posts: 4,673Registered Users

this!
    LOIS (OS); cottony, TYPE 4 hair, fine/med strands; no cones bcz my hair hates them; last relaxer '98; now low porosity:?, ignores most natural hair rules; BC #8

faves: suave, v05 shampoo, conditioner (my own), raw shea butter, castor oil, peanut oil, aloe juice
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I didn't want this thread to turn into a issue of race.I simply wanted to show the current trend in Japan.
    I hate to respectfully disagree with you but to me modern day "black face" is pretty much the self hate in black community. We do more harm to ourselves then any other race. We are the only race that doesn't spend on it's own.We don't own our own businesses. We bring little income back into our own community. African Americans are more likely to die at the hands of another black person then any other race.(African Americans only comprise about 14 % of the U.S. Population, yet 43% of all murder victims in 2009 were African American, 93.1% of whom were killed were African American) . The top ten causes death for blacks are (Cardiovascular Disease,Cancer ,Stroke,Diabetes,Homicide,HIV/AIDS, Chronic lower respiratory disease,Nephritis, Nephrotic syndrome and Nephrosis ,Septicemia). Most which could have (for the most part) been prevented through proper diet, working out, proper screening and safe sex. African Americans accounted for 52% of new HIV diagnoses and 48% of AIDS diagnoses in 2009.Only 19% of African Americans have a bachelor's degree or higher. Only 2.9% of total black population have advance degrees (master's, doctorate, medical, law). I'm sorry to say but we "the black race" create our own stereotypes. Just listen to the music that is out there. For those of you who have children on here do you read to them? If so, how often and what do you read to them ( books like video vixen doesn't count)? Why as a community spend 9 billion dollars on hair care instead of your child's education or scholarships for African American children or anything positive for your community. Why berate and bash those who emulate us? Imitation is the ultimate form of flattery or maybe people are upset by this because they see themselves or someone they know in that form and don't like what they see. I don't find it offensive because in the videos I watched it was just a hair style. They weren't "acting black". Although I'm young, I've interact with many different people from may different walks of life. I am not going to judge people for their hair choices or the clothes they wear. At the end of the day its just hair.We need to spend more time and energy into things that really matter a good education, health, and the family unit..... OK I'm done...

Da Hell?!?!?

This is a message/discussion board. You posted to see what other people thought about it. I posted that I don't see it as flattery and I gave my reasons why. I didn’t bash or berate anyone. I just simply do not like it and last time *I* checked, I am entitled to feel and express that.

After reading your thesis on the status of the black community, I’m a bit confused. As long as folks was posting about how cute it was and “gosh darn it they love us” and about how asian chicks are checking for the BBC (big black c*&k) it was all good. But how dare I come up in here and post a “racial” response and I’m getting preached to?

Chile please.

12459237.png

OH and shout out to me for being apart of that 2.9% (advanced degree's CRNA'S stand up) . That will be "DRNATURALROOTS" in a few years. I cant stress education enough it is key. Once you've discover the world (travel, read, do research, study under great people)you will certainly see the bigger picture for all things sociological and psychological and physiological.
    With Love,

Well for one, I don't think that people are attempting to degrade black people when they do black face all the time either - they just aren't thinking. Think of all the kids who have Edward 40 Hands Parties and dress up like Bloods and Crips and paint their faces black (for MLK Day, no less)...you think they really got up in the morning and thought it was offensive?! In fact, they invite their black friends to these types of parties, I've been invited! And my response is like 40 party - cool. Black face? Inappropriate. I've had to explain to my friends why it's not appropriate.

Furthermore, I find it insulting that Japanese kids wearing some damn Applebottoms is "embracing black culture." Not saying that this was said on this thread, but this is how it's often interpreted. Word? My culture is belittled some damn cheap a$$ jeans Nelly was promoting in 2006?

I think NCC's explanation of why the hair is "like" black face is dead on - so, they're imitating our hair because they think it's rebellious or edgy? Oh, how flattering! ::side eye:: I'm not offended by it per se, but I think it's stupid as all get out.

And really, was the complete analysis of the state of the black community necessary? What the hell did that have to do with her statement?
    YouTube

Da Hell?!?!?

This is a message/discussion board. You posted to see what other people thought about it. I posted that I don't see it as flattery and I gave my reasons why. I didn’t bash or berate anyone. I just simply do not like it and last time *I* checked, I am entitled to feel and express that.

After reading your thesis on the status of the black community, I’m a bit confused. As long as folks was posting about how cute it was and “gosh darn it they love us” and about how asian chicks are checking for the BBC (big black c*&k) it was all good. But how dare I come up in here and post a “racial” response and I’m getting preached to?

Chile please.

Hello, I'm not angry, hostile, or upset by your response and I don't think you should feel any of those emotions towards my response either.Your right everyone should be entitled to their own opinion. It's fine that you don't find the look flattering on them . I honestly thought some of them looked a hot mess as well. What I was stating is that I don't see this as modern day black face and I was explaining why I felt that way. Saying that this is a modern day black face is like saying blacks who wear suits and straighten their hair are mocking white culture.Which isn't necessarily true. Once again, I did not make this thread to create drama or to get anyone emotional or upset. Its not in my nature. I was not attacking you in any manner and I apologizes if you took anything I said the wrong way. As a matter of fact I was explaining why I felt that way so that it would not be just another random claim. I was simply showing you the supporting evidence to show that my opinion had reasoning behind it.
    With Love,

Well for one, I don't think that people are attempting to degrade black people when they do black face all the time either - they just aren't thinking. Think of all the kids who have Edward 40 Hands Parties and dress up like Bloods and Crips and paint their faces black (for MLK Day, no less)...you think they really got up in the morning and thought it was offensive?! In fact, they invite their black friends to these types of parties, I've been invited! And my response is like 40 party - cool. Black face? Inappropriate. I've had to explain to my friends why it's not appropriate.

Furthermore, I find it insulting that Japanese kids wearing some damn Applebottoms is "embracing black culture." Not saying that this was said on this thread, but this is how it's often interpreted. Word? My culture is belittled some damn cheap a$$ jeans Nelly was promoting in 2006?

I think NCC's explanation of why the hair is "like" black face is dead on - so, they're imitating our hair because they think it's rebellious or edgy? Oh, how flattering! ::side eye:: I'm not offended by it per se, but I think it's stupid as all get out.

And really, was the complete analysis of the state of the black community necessary? What the hell did that have to do with her statement?

I some what agree to your statement. In today's society its "cool" to be black/act black. That's just a fact (look no further then the media) .I just don't think that people should look at it like an immediate attack on the black race. I had to drops numbers in there because they don't lie and it supported my interpretation of the modern day black face. I just didn't want to say stuff without explaining why I felt that way. I hope that doing this will help my readers better understand why I believe in this. I wasn't trying to be difficult :).
    With Love,

Im not surprised though.

This! I see it every day. Afros and Apple Bottom jeans... WTF???

The apple bottom jeans are a bit much. You need a bottom to rock them and I don't think many of them have bottoms. To be honest I havent seen any Asians with Afros in my area yet. However,I saw a boat load on you tube.
    With Love,

• greenandchicgreenandchic Posts: 2,584Registered Users

If this was a discussion of the state of the Black American community, I would say ITA.

But for this discussion, I'm wonder what this (what you wrote) have to do with the price of tea in China?

...and I am definitely not flattered. They can make a clown out of themselves if they want to, but its not flattering to me.
    APL BSL MBL WL HL TBL | porous, fine/medium strands, medium density
    My Fotki!
    Below: Typical PS bun
    004-vi.jpg