What's Your Air-Drying Time?

jackieheartsyoouujackieheartsyoouu Registered Users Posts: 54
I am curious to know how long it takes for others to have their hair fully air-dry without diffusing or blow-drying.

I have A LOT of 2C hair and it's very thick so in the summer it takes 2-4 hours but in the winter it can last up to 6! I've been reading some of the posts on this board and one girl said it takes her hair about 1 hour to dry!

What is your average?
MOD-CG since Oct. 21 2009
2C, thick coarse hair (& lots of it!)

Comments

• Robin-in-FLRobin-in-FL Registered Users Posts: 1,731 Curl Neophyte
    Now that it's shorter and very layered, and I know how to squeeze water out with the t-shirt, it takes between 4-6 hours to fully dry. That's with conditioner & gel. With nothing, it's about 4 hours.

When it was longer, it would be dry by noon if I washed it the night before (wrapped up overnight so it didn't get dry while I was sleeping)

When it was longer than hip length, it took a night, a day, and a night to dry. It does not dry at all, as far as I know, if it's wrapped in rollers.

Mine is barely thick, not very thick, and is coarse in diameter. I live in a humid place, that probably makes a difference too.
    2c / C / iii (FIA)
    Med-Coarse, LowPorosity, NormalElast (LCLF)

Shoulder-Length now.

Wash: DevaCare Low Poo
    Detangle & Rinseout: Walgreens or Sally's Conditioning Balm (always)
    Leave-in: DevaCare OneC (budget choice is GFTN)
    Style: ReCoil & DevaCare Arc Angel (budget choices are HESMU or Got2BSpikedUp)

Henna!
  • Lucky CharmLucky Charm Registered Users Posts: 1,250
    when it was slightly below my shoulders it took about 6.5-7 hours to air dry, and thats with just spray gel.

Now its just above my shoulders and it takes abut 6 hours with product and gel. I normally plop and diffuse because I cant stand wet hair on my neck
    - 2C - Coarse Canopy & med/fine underlayers
    - MOP C Hydrating 'poo
    - LOreal Natures Therapy Moisturizing condish, ION Effective Care, Garnier S&S (old formula)
    - treatments: CJ Curl Rehab, CJ Repair Me!
    - plopping, diffusing, and clipping the roots
  • asianrunnerasianrunner Registered Users Posts: 2,251 Curl Neophyte
    My hair is about the same length as in my avatar. With product about three hours and without product, about two hours.

I do squeeze as much water as I can out of my hair before I add product though.
    Coarse texture, normal-high porosity, normal elasticity (Komaza Care), very weak waves
    cleanser: Redken Fresh Curls Shampoo, CJ Daily Fix

rinse out: GVP Conditioning Balm, CJ Beauticurls, CJ Smoothing

jellies/creams: CR Curl Maker, KCCC
    gels: CJ CQ, CJ Pattern Pusha, BRHG

• plunkybugplunkybug Registered Users Posts: 2,526
    With no product, but towel dried or in a plop for 20 or so minutes, probably 2-3 hours. With product (leave in, curl enhancers, gel) and plopping for 20 or so minutes, it can take up to 6 hours (4-6 hours on average...less in the summer). It is somewhat less if I add the gel after plopping with the leave in and curl enhancers. It is longer if I super soak. These days I pretty much diffuse when I wash. I find that the more water I get out faster, once out of the plop, the better my curls are. Air drying weighs them down more since I have long hair. I don't wash every day.

Lady Caiside, Noble Lushetarian and Wavy Wayfarer of Mugglswick, in the Order of the Curly Crusaders

2b-3a Fii, porous and low elasticity

Currently using a variety of products, and looking for that magic combo

Hair bio: http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/showpost.php?p=1252125&postcount=59

• erin_merin_m Registered Users Posts: 64
    My hair takes forever to dry! I've plopped overnight for about 8 hours and it still wasn't completely dry in the morning!
    Mostly 2B with some 2C on a good day, M/Ciii
    Shoulder length, and I use permanent hair color.
    Started modified CG 6-20-10
    Conditioners: Suave Naturals, Garnier Triple Nutrition

Low poo: L'Oreal Everpure
    Styling: The Body Shop's Cottonseed Curl Boost, HESMU (winter), LALSG and LALCG (summer),
    Hair hates: magnesium sulfate (extremely drying!), glycerin in the winter.
  • heidiheidi Registered Users Posts: 243
    erin_m wrote: »
    My hair takes forever to dry! I've plopped overnight for about 8 hours and it still wasn't completely dry in the morning!

My hair won't dry overnight even if left loose. But it dries in about 3hrs in the daytime. A little less in the heat of summer a little longer in the dead of winter.
    Medium-fine Texture, Normal Porosity, Normal Elasticity, Thick Density
    Co-wash: Renpure Body&Shine
    RO: Kenra Moisturizing Conditioner
    LI/Curl Enhancer: Kenra Moisturizing Conditioner
    Other: I'll add a little AG Mousse Gel if I want something extra.
  • TrixieTrixie Registered Users Posts: 260
    I'd say mine takes 2-3 hours to fully dry. I usually SOTC about an hour after plopping, and it is still a bit damp then. In the winter I diffuse to at least 50% dry so I'm not walking around campus with frozen hair! =)
    Somewhere between a 2b/c and a 3a

Current product favorites
    Cleansers: Giovanni TTTT shampoo, Deva No-Poo, Tresemme Naturals Moisturizing Conditioner
    Conditioners: Tigi Moisture Maniac, Yes to Cucumbers, GVP Conditioning Balm, AOHR
    Stylers/Gels: KCCC, SS CEJ and FHG, AOMM, BRHG, LA Looks Sport Gel, Lustrasilk (winter), Pink Boots (winter)
    Henna glosses!
  • WavyJanetWavyJanet Registered Users Posts: 105
    About 4 hours.
    Hair type: normal texture, thick, wavy, low porosity, normal elasticity
    erin_m wrote: »

It won't dry overnight in a plop 'cause it's all mashed up together and wrapped, that seems normal. Mine, like Heidi said about hers, doesn't dry all the way overnight even if loose, I guess the pillow holds it together or something. Plopped, it doesn't dry at all. But it doesn't take 8 hours in the daytime anymore.

Now what I'd like to know is what kind of hair dries fast and what kind dries slow.

Mine dries slow and it's moderately thick, coarse, and resistant so I'd say non-porous. It takes awhile to get wet (the top layer gets wet but the bottom layers stay dry until I lift the top hair out of the way) but once it's wet it takes a long time to dry.
    2c / C / iii (FIA)

Shoulder-Length now.

Henna!
  • wavynwild16wavynwild16 Registered Users Posts: 2,121
    I don't have exact time measurements, but my hair takes about 5 hours on average to dry. Most of the time it's a little longer, especially with the super soaker method. I thought my hair took a really long time to dry -- guess I was comparing to my straight-haired sister, whose hair takes about an hour to dry! ;)
    Type 2c/3a with lots of hair and a super sensitive scalp! Med/slightly coarse texture, low porosity and elasticity.

Favorite...
    Low poo: Organix TTM, Essential Wholesale Free & Clean
    RO/LI: TN, GFTN, YTC
    Stylers: EcoStylers, GF Curl Shaping Gel, Aussie Aussome Volume Mousse & Instant Freeze Gel, GFPC, LALNC, La Bella Lots of Curls, Apricot Oil, KMFUM, AO B5DG
    Extras: sugar scrubs, AVG washes, pre-poos with EVCO, oiling scalp before washes, plopping, gelatin PT.
    Mod-CG since 12/1/10! :happy7:
  • jcbarayjcbaray Registered Users Posts: 17
    My hair is so fine it dries in 1 hour 15 to 1 1/2 hours with product. Probably 30 to 45 min without. I think it is really porous so that's why it dries so fast.
    Recently discovered my curly hair and nc.com :love4:

CG since 5/2010

2c/3a, Fine, Color treated, porous, low-elasticity, low density

Co-Wash: Suave Naturals Coconut, TJ's TTT
    Low-Poo: Shea Moisture-Moisture Retention Shampoo
    Conditioner: Shea Moisture Restorative Conditioning Milk, LaCoupe Shine & Smooth, GVP Biolage Conditioning Balm
    Leave In: GDLI
    Style: Deva Arc Angel, KCCC, BRHG, Alba Botanical Strong Hold Gel
  • SaroyanSaroyan Registered Users Posts: 398
    My hair takes at least five or six hours to dry in the summer; I don't even want to know how long it'll take in the winter. I diffuse almost every time I wash now because I can't stand to spend half the day with hideous scraggly, rat's-nest-looking hair (really, it looks insane until it's dry).

As for properties, my hair is fine but quite thick, inelastic, and not very porous (medium to low, I would guess). It's 2a with a bit of 2b around my face, collarbone-length, and layered.
    2a, very fine, very thick, protein-loving, not especially porous. cg since july 2010.

cleanse: cj daily fix, vo5 vanilla mint tea
    condition: marie dean anything, db pumpkin seed, cj curl assurance, cj beauticurls
    style: cj beauticurls leave-in, cj curl queen, cj cccc lite, kccc, homemade fsg, db coconut & hibiscus oil, ecostyler
    treatments: ss repairing protein, ss deeply decadent
    techniques: icequeen, plopping, scrunching upside down, pixie diffusing
  • lmariemlmariem Registered Users Posts: 25
    About 3 hours.
  • missbanjomissbanjo Registered Users Posts: 3,088 Curl Neophyte
    About 4 hours. I end up going to work with silly wet/crispy hair and it stays that way until it's dry. Anyone says anything they're not going to like the response. Maybe I'll even enlighten them :D
    Southern Colorado Curly
    Mix of 2s med-low porosity, med-fine texture, lots of hair
  • 09robiha09robiha Registered Users Posts: 683
    6 hours plus! it has been known to take a full day or more though
    Mixture of 2c/3a curls, fine to med texture

:love5: PROTEIN LOVER!!! :love5:

Wishing my hair would be more like this
    > :angel13:
    and less like this
    > :evil5:
  • CurlyPolkaDotCurlyPolkaDot Registered Users Posts: 1,174
    At just below shoulder length about 3 hours. Without about 3 hours still. When it's tied up my hair doesn't dry at all in the back. At BSL+ about 5 - 6 hours. Ughh.....
    2c/3a - M/C - ii/iii
    Countess DuckyDot :duckie: , Keeper of the book of Vegetarianism and Arty Pants, Leader of the Curly Ducks in the Order of the Curly Crusaders

Away and might not be back. See me at: http://walkintowhispers.blogspot.com/
  • curlywurlygurlycurlywurlygurly Registered Users Posts: 1,180
    forever!! it's only a bob, but even if a I diffuse a little and then let it air dry on the way to uni, if I am luck it will be pretty much dry after the hour and half drive. Thankfully summer is coming yay! that will help cut down drying time
    2 something Australian :toothy4:

http://public.fotki.com/curlywurlygurly/
    pw:aussie

Aiming to grow hair to waist from buzz cut - slowly but surely.
  • jackieheartsyoouujackieheartsyoouu Registered Users Posts: 54
    Thanks everyone for the responses, I'm glad to know I am actually in the majority. I'm thinking of picking up a blow dryer but I really wanted to stick to no-heat styling... :-|
    MOD-CG since Oct. 21 2009
    2C, thick coarse hair (& lots of it!)

missbanjo wrote: »
    About 4 hours. I end up going to work with silly wet/crispy hair and it stays that way until it's dry..............

+1
    I posted my routine somewhere, but it does include going to work with hair still damp, so it dries all crispy and doesn't actually look good until I scrunch out. Well I twist out, not scrunch, but same idea.
    2c / C / iii (FIA)

Shoulder-Length now.

Henna!
  • plunkybugplunkybug Registered Users Posts: 2,526
    About 4 hours. I end up going to work with silly wet/crispy hair and it stays that way until it's dry..............

+1
    I posted my routine somewhere, but it does include going to work with hair still damp, so it dries all crispy and doesn't actually look good until I scrunch out. Well I twist out, not scrunch, but same idea.

I'm not allowed to have wet hair at work, so if I air dry, I definitely do it the night before, or on a day off.

Lady Caiside, Noble Lushetarian and Wavy Wayfarer of Mugglswick, in the Order of the Curly Crusaders

2b-3a Fii, porous and low elasticity

Currently using a variety of products, and looking for that magic combo

Hair bio: http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/showpost.php?p=1252125&postcount=59

plunkybug wrote: »

+1

I'm not allowed to have wet hair at work, so if I air dry, I definitely do it the night before, or on a day off.

In general I get up at 5:00, go in at 6:30 and meetings and such aren't until 9 at earliest, I can do an early scrunch-out before it's quite finished if neccessary and look at least reasonably styled. If I had to look professional that early, I'd probably not wash hair, make a low ponytail with a nice clip and have done with it instead of trying to do full-on styling, since it doesn't happen that often and since I'm kind of hopeless with the diffuser that early, and the shorter hair isn't being nice about holding up overnight.
    2c / C / iii (FIA)

Shoulder-Length now.

Henna!
  • porque_pigporque_pig Registered Users Posts: 238
    My hair takes about an hour and a half to dry.

I have BSL hair, but it's very fine and thin and not at all porous. I don't use product most days. I do start by scrunching out most of the water with a towel, but by the time I get dressed, put on my makeup and make it to the office, it's pretty much dry.

Winter is coming, though, which means I'll have to start washing at night to avoid frozen hair.
    :batman: 2b/cFi, low density, normal porosity, high elasticity

Low-poo
    : Trader Joe's Tea Tree Tingle
    Conditioner
    : Suave Naturals (whatever scent I have on hand)
    Styling
    : Paul Mitchell Round Trip, Tresemme Climate Control Finishing Spray

I'm a hair minimalist: the less time I spend on my hair, the better.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file