First stylist appointment ever--tips?

IAgirlIAgirl Registered Users Posts: 2,540 Curl Neophyte
Wavies, I have my first appointment with a hair stylist who works with wavy/curly hair tomorrow.
I caved in. I have cut my own hair almost exclusively all my adult life.

I need some shape in my haircut. And I don't know how to do that myself.
I don't know what to ask for.
All I am sure about is what I do not want and what I know won't work.

Should go sans product, or "style" my hair first. Which is better?

Comments

• justajesuschickjustajesuschick Registered Users Posts: 1,657 Curl Neophyte
    I go tonight for my 3rd!

Mine had me come styled and product laden. You may want to call and ask. The salon I went to told me to come like that. I liked it that she wanted to see it done so that she could see how I had it, places to change/improve/leave.

She talked and asked a TON of questions before she ever touched my hair. I really liked that. I am detailed and a bit ocd (okay, more than a bit) so that was very important to me.

She cuts my hair dry and I cannot wait to go tonight. You will be super happy. Mine talks me out of shape that I ask for because I do not understand curly cuts. I plan to beg for more layers tonight. We will see.

Do not forget that you can change your mind if you feel uncomfortable at all. Have fun and report back!
    I'm 47. Straight hair until 6/2010. THANKS, thyroid!
    2b, medium-fine, normal-low porosity, medium density and elasticity
    CG since 7/1/2010

Cleanse: Abba Color Protect
    Condition: DevaCurl OC
    LI: CJ-Deep Fix, Beauticurls LI
    Curl Enhancer: CHS Curl Keeper, KCCC
    Gel: Alba Strong Hold Gel, BRHG, Hugo Naturals Gel, SS FHG, CJPP
    Trying/Maybe: Ecostyler, CJRM
  • pedahehpedaheh Registered Users Posts: 4,812 Curl Neophyte
    Wear your normal clothes and your hair the way you normally would (unless they ask for no product) so the stylist can get a sense of your style.
    If you plan to keep cutting your own hair, pay close attention to the angle the stylist holds your hair before cutting layers. It took me several tries to get the right angle. I'd guess you may need help from a friend to cut layers in your own hair. Your arms might not be long enough.
    http://pedaheh.blogspot.com/ (a blog to help new wavies, go to the how do I get started page)
    2a (nc.com) 2bFi (Fia), very fine, thin, low/normal elasticity, porous, CG, doesn't get weighed down
    Cowash: Tresemme naturals
    Rinse out/leave in: Renpure Organics (red)
    Curl enhancer: FSG
    Gel: BRHG, Salon care aloe, Ecostyler Krystal (normal dews)
    PT: ION effective care, IAgirl's gelatin PT
    Low Poo: renpure (red), Ion swimmers
  • IAgirlIAgirl Registered Users Posts: 2,540 Curl Neophyte
    Hey, great ideas, Pedaheh, thanks so much! I am such a novice. I'll be writing these things down so I remember.
    Hope justajesuschick fills us in on the results too...
  • asianrunnerasianrunner Registered Users Posts: 2,251 Curl Neophyte
    I would definitely PM rymorg2! She is a stylist and has been a huge help to me.

My waves aren't strong enough to need a dry hair cut. I just asked for long layers and "point cutting" (I think it's what it's called) as opposed to thinning shears.
    Coarse texture, normal-high porosity, normal elasticity (Komaza Care), very weak waves
    cleanser: Redken Fresh Curls Shampoo, CJ Daily Fix

rinse out: GVP Conditioning Balm, CJ Beauticurls, CJ Smoothing

jellies/creams: CR Curl Maker, KCCC
    gels: CJ CQ, CJ Pattern Pusha, BRHG

• kathymackkathymack Registered Users Posts: 9,999 Curl Neophyte
    Here's a thread called, "What to Tell My Stylist." http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/showthread.php?t=76806
    3a (Corkicelli), highlighted, fine, low porosity
    SE PA

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Aloe Fix
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Well, it's all done. I can't say I'm that excited. I could certainly have done a very similar cut by myself. Long layers and some progressive layers around the face. I guess I'm glad I had somebody else do this first one who understood about waves and curls. I feel guilty having paid for a haircut!
    I'll see if I like how it looks tomorrow after I wash out the silicones and styling gunk tonight. I left the salon looking like an awful mess -- virtually no wave at all. Very different styling technique. I hope my pattern of waves/curls comes back tomorrow!
    If I like it -- I'll post a before and after.
    If not -- paper bag over my head for a couple weeks!
  • pedahehpedaheh Registered Users Posts: 4,812 Curl Neophyte
    Two thoughts.
    1. Stylists don't fix your hair in a way you like. This goes triple for wavy hair. You have more experience with your own hair and how to bring out the waves.
    2. If you plan to continue to cut your own hair, it is much easier to follow an existing cut then to cut layers from scratch.
    I bet you'll like your cut after you fix it.
    http://pedaheh.blogspot.com/ (a blog to help new wavies, go to the how do I get started page)
    2a (nc.com) 2bFi (Fia), very fine, thin, low/normal elasticity, porous, CG, doesn't get weighed down
    Cowash: Tresemme naturals
    Rinse out/leave in: Renpure Organics (red)
    Curl enhancer: FSG
    Gel: BRHG, Salon care aloe, Ecostyler Krystal (normal dews)
    PT: ION effective care, IAgirl's gelatin PT
    Low Poo: renpure (red), Ion swimmers
    Well, Ped had 3 thoughts and I agree with all of them!

My stylist is Deva trained and outstanding and until last night never came close to how I wear my hair.

I like my hair better with my own products, done my way!

A photo is requested!!!
    CG since 7/1/2010

Thanks, gals. All very good thoughts (as usual). I'll mess with it and see what happens.
    :glasses10: Right now, it's restrained in a fruity-floral scented ponytail.
    Update: attached pics, post-haircut. There is one pre-haircut (far right) looking crunchy -- too stringy? I do not know.
    I just don't know how to fix this mess. I had applied ecostyler and FSG and diffused and it was so stringy I combed it -- then the pic. To me, it looks awful. The front is shapeless, the top is flat (yep, I clipped it). I'm really disappointed because I could have done the layers myself. I paid the stylist because I hoped she could teach me something.

Now it's still trial and error and probably excessive self-critique. On the upside, some of the bigger waves are now smaller, tighter waves (maybe 1" apart) but I don't know how to make it look curly or whatever!

Will be looking into BRHG. But the gel itself can't work magic. I'm just no good at this!
    I am not certain what you see, but I see GORGEOUS hair!! I get stringier hair when I apply the wrong amount or mix of product. I had great hair today but tonight it looks heavy! Ridiculous non-porous hair. Stupid adsorption!!

I just had to chime in and say that I find yours stunning and frankly what is the rage today-beachy, tousled waves/curls. You have to trust me on that because I am not a scientist, I am in advertising!!
    CG since 7/1/2010

Thank you, justajesuschick. I caught a lot of flak about my hair from my mom and sister into my 20s. I caught a lot of flak from everybody and it all stuck. Part of joining NC.com was to try to learn to like parts of myself I always hid from others because I thought I was ugly inside and out.

I am not certain what I see -- but re-framed as "beachy waves" I actually DO see something different. I can detach from that being "my hair" to being "beachy waves" and that actually gives me some perspective.

What a difference a couple words makes!
    Now all I need is a beach...

Justajesuschick, you really helped me. You're a peach. Thank you. You who is in advertising and knows the value of words.
  • SaroyanSaroyan Registered Users Posts: 398
    I agree with everything she said. You have beautiful hair!
    2a, very fine, very thick, protein-loving, not especially porous. cg since july 2010.

cleanse: cj daily fix, vo5 vanilla mint tea
    condition: marie dean anything, db pumpkin seed, cj curl assurance, cj beauticurls
    style: cj beauticurls leave-in, cj curl queen, cj cccc lite, kccc, homemade fsg, db coconut & hibiscus oil, ecostyler
    treatments: ss repairing protein, ss deeply decadent
    techniques: icequeen, plopping, scrunching upside down, pixie diffusing
  • leonita poraleonita pora Registered Users Posts: 175
    Keep in mind that sometimes after a new haircut, hair takes some time to adjust to it. At least, that's very common with me. And, I suspect this is more likely to happen with hair is cut wet, as the curls need to rearrange themselves in the new cut. Just be patient - give it a few days to a week before you decide you don't like your new haircut.
    Fia: 2b-2c/Fine-Medium/iii (Thick)
    Low-Poo: Giovanni 50/50 Balanced Shampoo, Shampoo bars
    Co-Wash: Trader Joe's Refresh, CJ Daily Fix, CFT Creamy Curl Cleanser
    Rinse-out: Trader Joe's Nourish, GFTN, Aubrey Organics GPB
    Leave-in/Curl Creme: Marie Dean Curly Styling Creme
    Gel: BRHG, homemade FSG, CJ Curl Queen, Deva AnGel
    Hair likes: Protein, FSG, high dewpoints
    Hair dislikes: coconut oil on dry hair

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights