Black soap?

Has anyone tried black soap as an alternative to shampoo? It seems like itmight be really good, especially with all that shea butter in there. I'd love to hear how people's results were..thanks!
3c, Alopecia, porous like woah.

Struggling to come to terms with my hair, or at the very least a cease-fire.

Cone-and-sulfate free for a couple of months now.

Comments

• CopaseticCopasetic Registered Users Posts: 222
    I haven't tried black soap, but I have tried other soaps, and in my experience, they are not good for washing hair. They don't rinse out properly and leave my hair feeling grimey.
    co-wash: exact vanilla
    rinse out: tresseme naturals
    leave-in: giovanni direct leave-in
    stylers: kccc + he totally twisted mousse + coconut oil to sotc
  • 3c4d7zwhatevs3c4d7zwhatevs Registered Users Posts: 1,589
    Many women on here use black soap or some variant thereof (mixed with castile soap, liquefied and oils added) to cleanse their hair and scalp. Do a search on the 4a or 4b message boards - there are several threads about it. I use it and it has helped tremendously with eczema on my scalp and with helping my scalp maintain a moisture balance.
    4a/3c curls
    Fine strands, not as densely-placed as I would like
    Ayurvedic herbs are the TRUTH
    Team Wash and Go!
    iHerb code:UYA010 - get 5% off your first purchase
  • Blue WolfBlue Wolf Registered Users Posts: 1
    I wash my hair with black soap and love it. I also wash my face with it and I'm acne free. I'm causian, 3b/2c.
  • SystemSystem Posts: 39,060 Administrator
    I wash my face with black soap. The other night I was wondering if I would be able to start using it on my hair, or if I would find it too drying. I may try it one day to see how hair turns out.
  • LiyahLiyah Registered Users Posts: 118
    I use black soap from Nubian Heritage and it's not drying nor does it leave my hair grimey. I really like it and have been using it for months now.

:)
  • crwrittcrwritt Registered Users Posts: 705 Curl Neophyte
    I like washing my hair with Out of Africa Organic Shea Butter soap. I follow with an ACV rinse. I find it at Walgreen's.
  • SummerRubySummerRuby Registered Users Posts: 468
    I tried it, but it was very drying, even when I diluted it and jazzed it up with some oils and such. I wouldn't recommend it for kinky hair because of how much it dried my hair out. Plus, it's a real b*tch if you get it in your eyes.

• DerbyCityNaturalsDerbyCityNaturals Registered Users Posts: 422
    crwritt wrote: »
    I like washing my hair with Out of Africa Organic Shea Butter soap. I follow with an ACV rinse. I find it at Walgreen's.

+1 I have heard a lot of naturals state that it is great but to follow it with an ACV rinse.
  • 3c4d7zwhatevs3c4d7zwhatevs Registered Users Posts: 1,589
    Out of Africa makes a nice black soap bar too. That's what I have been using on my face lately.
    4a/3c curls
    Fine strands, not as densely-placed as I would like
    Ayurvedic herbs are the TRUTH
    Team Wash and Go!
    iHerb code:UYA010 - get 5% off your first purchase
  • morrighumorrighu Registered Users Posts: 707
    Because soap is chemcially different from shampoo (detergent) and the way that it cleans is different, i've never had really good results with bar shampoos of any kind, including black soap. Which kills me because - of any spot on my body - my FEET loooove black soap.
  • MollyrightMollyright Registered Users Posts: 7
    morrighu wrote: »
    Because soap is chemcially different from shampoo (detergent) and the way that it cleans is different, i've never had really good results with bar shampoos of any kind, including black soap. Which kills me because - of any spot on my body - my FEET loooove black soap.

Maybe it is the Black Soap you are using. I find not all are created equal. I have had problems in the past and find only that I only trust one mass brand soap otherwise it is best to buy the handmade stuff.

I use DuDu Osun, first it is !00% natural and lastly it is easy to find and affordable. This makes my hair squeaky clean but not dry.

Butters and Bars also makes a shampoo and sells black soap on their website. B&B is a good site to purchase from if you want a handmade non- mass brand soap.

Dudu Osun Ingredients:
    Pure Honey
    Shea Butter
    Osun (camwood)
    Palmkernel Oil
    Cocoa Pod Ash
    Palm Bunch Ash
    Aloe Vera
    Lime Juice
    Essential Oil Blend
    Water
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Last Relaxer/Texturizer: 2007 ( off and on natural since 2002):cheers:

Favorite Products:Giovanni Direct Leave-In,Eco Styler Gel, New! Lock it Up Gel,Dudu Osun Black Soap (use as shampoo), New!: Every Man Jack Shampoo @ target
    Never Again: :sad3: Jane Carter Solution, IC Fantasia, Herbal Essence (cones), Raw Shea Butter (heavy)
    Hair Type: 4a ( back of hair), 4c ( around temples), 4b (everywhere else)
  • MollyrightMollyright Registered Users Posts: 7

Wow Walgreens this is really convient. However, I don't really care for ACV rinses, its just another step that I don't want to do. Have you ever tried not using the ACV and what do you find the ACV rinse does? is it an extra way of cleaning the buildup?

I checked the ingredients and they look great.

Found on Walgreens website:
    Ingredients
    Organic Shea Butter , Palm Kernel Oil , Olive Oil , Vanilla Essential Oil , Purified Water
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Last Relaxer/Texturizer: 2007 ( off and on natural since 2002):cheers:

Favorite Products:Giovanni Direct Leave-In,Eco Styler Gel, New! Lock it Up Gel,Dudu Osun Black Soap (use as shampoo), New!: Every Man Jack Shampoo @ target
    Never Again: :sad3: Jane Carter Solution, IC Fantasia, Herbal Essence (cones), Raw Shea Butter (heavy)
    Hair Type: 4a ( back of hair), 4c ( around temples), 4b (everywhere else)
  • DerbyCityNaturalsDerbyCityNaturals Registered Users Posts: 422
    will be picking that up on my next trip to Walgreens
  • BekkaPooBekkaPoo Registered Users Posts: 3,861 Curl Neophyte
    I bought some organic black soap at a local craft fair.. and boy was it organic. I left it open in my bathroom so I could easily use/access the soap, and after a few days I had mold growing on it. Waste of $8. :-| Maybe I'd have better luck with a more commercial brand of black soap.
    "The challenge is to be yourself in a world that is trying to make you like everybody else."
    "...rationality is not necessary to sell things.."
    My staples: Mane n Tail (cowash), Garnier Fructis Sleek n Shine (leave in condish), Grapeseed oil or shea butter (sealing), Organic Root Stimulator Elasticitea (leave-in condish & light hold)
  • pinkwolfpinkwolf Registered Users Posts: 430 Curl Novice
    I use african black soap from head to toe. It is a staple of mine. I order it online from Shea Butter: Fair Trade, Unrefined Shea Butter and African Black Soap
    where you get 100% african black soap for 1lb. for 10 bucks. They have shea butter, coconut oil, red palm oil, and african wild honey. I have been ordering from them for years.I make a liquid black soap for my hair.

Dudu-Osun is not 100% african black soap. It stained my hair, tub, clothes, and towels with this horrible black dye. I hated that stuff! Plus this soap is rock hard and real african black soap is not hard but it is soft and very pliable. Yes there is shea butter is real african black soap and my hair and skin love it because it is soooo moisturizing.
    *Natural 3C/TWA* :toothy7:
    Wash: BS/ACV, ABS, KC Come Clean
    Conditioner: Garnier WB Honey Treasures
    , Garnier WB Apple & Green Tea
    Pre-Poo: Oils & Honey Mix
    DC: Garnier WB Honey Treasures Mask, SM 10-N-1

PT: Super Mayo Deep Conditioning Treatment
    Styler:
    KCCC
    Leave-In: KCKT
    Moisturizer:
    Whipped Shea Butter
    Oil/Sealant:
    EVCO, Jojoba
  • empressriempressri Registered Users Posts: 4,812
    Lady Hasytal in the Land of Product in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
    "Trust is knowing your SO would do the right thing in the face of strange vagina." Nej
    [/B]
  • pinkwolfpinkwolf Registered Users Posts: 430 Curl Novice
    Beautiful results EmpressRi isn't african black soap the TRUTH!
    BekkaPoo - Your soap didn't go bad! I did research on why this happened to my african black soap with the white film on it. Its because it absorbs whatever is around it like air. So it was best for me to store this in a air tight container or ziplock baggy.
    *Natural 3C/TWA* :toothy7:
    Wash: BS/ACV, ABS, KC Come Clean
    Conditioner: Garnier WB Honey Treasures
    , Garnier WB Apple & Green Tea
    Pre-Poo: Oils & Honey Mix
    DC: Garnier WB Honey Treasures Mask, SM 10-N-1

PT: Super Mayo Deep Conditioning Treatment
    Styler:
    KCCC
    Leave-In: KCKT
    Moisturizer:
    Whipped Shea Butter
    Oil/Sealant:
    EVCO, Jojoba
  • crwrittcrwritt Registered Users Posts: 705 Curl Neophyte
    Mollyright wrote: »

Wow Walgreens this is really convient. However, I don't really care for ACV rinses, its just another step that I don't want to do. Have you ever tried not using the ACV and what do you find the ACV rinse does? is it an extra way of cleaning the buildup?

I checked the ingredients and they look great.

Found on Walgreens website:
    Ingredients
    Organic Shea Butter , Palm Kernel Oil , Olive Oil , Vanilla Essential Oil , Purified Water

Sorry I didn't see your post to answer before now.I rinse out the soap then mix with 1tsp ACV to a large tumbler of water. I pour that over my hair,then rinse again with cool water. My hair feels a little sticky if I skip this step.After the ACV my hair feels clean and silky.

Try it both ways!
  • CuteCurlyCocoaChickCuteCurlyCocoaChick Registered Users Posts: 8
    i have been using black soap on my hair for 2 years. it is no gentle, very gentle. if you would like some black soap shampoo i can send you some.
  • mslittlelalamslittlelala Registered Users Posts: 139
    I just purchase some raw black soap that's supposed to be the real kind.
    I went with coastal scents because they're fair trade so it gives me comfort
    knowing the ladies will hopefully be properly paid.
    I decided to try it after much research its supposed to be really good for
    drying skin conditions and I kinda have sd / flakes so I'm going to give it
    a go. I also plan on using it for eczema on skin.
    I've had lucky with cv bars so I figure black soap may even do well.
    I will follow with a dc or acv rinse because it can be drying.
    FULL CG - 2nd Attempt 2/27/11
    TYPE: Fluffy see through coils & corkscrews when dry & product free
    HGS underlined
    DC: AOHSR / AOGPB / AOSwim / Elucence
    PO: BWC RM / CV Poo Bars
    Cowash: Vo5 KL / GTTT Dilute / Vo5 SC
    RO: AOBGA
    LEAVE INS
    Warm mths - help??
    Cool mths - H20, Olive oil, whipped shea butter
    STYLE: La Bella Styling Gel / Deva SIF

Leave a Comment