I am going nuts!!!!!

ththdththd Registered Users Posts: 306 Curl Novice
I have been CG for 6 months and am still not getting the best results. I am about to go back to cones because of the frizz. I have like no money so I can't bounce from product to product either. I'm not really happy with either of my gels but I am stuck until they are gone and I don't know what to go to next. My hair looks like crap on the days that I cowash but looks better the 2nd day and the 3rd day until I cowash again. It still isn't great on those days either. Please help??!!!
Tresemme Botanical shampoo, Cantu No Poo, sometimes Suave Lavender or coconut cowash  
Tresemme Flawless curls gel, Herbal Essence Totally Twisted gel, Ecostyler gel (pink one)
Giovanni weightless leave-in
My hair hates Shea Moisture products 
Plopping makes my curls weird ;) 
I still use Tresemme Fine Mist hairspray for the side swept bangs...I can't live without it!
Curl Genie: Medium-fine texture, normal to high porosity, low elasticity, medium density

Comments

• IAgirlIAgirl Registered Users Posts: 2,540 Curl Neophyte
    Have you tried protein? For not much money you can mix a packet of unflavored gelatin with a cup or less of water, add a teaspoon of vinegar (if you have it) and leave that on your hair for 10-15 minutes (it's messy). You can also add a few pinches of gelatin to your conditioner, just be sure it gets dissolved (let it sit a while before using it). Gelatin is hydrolyzed collagen (protein). If your hair is damaged, protein might help the curls come back.

To seal in moisture (maybe help prevent frizz) you might use a vegetable oil -- lots of people use coconut or olive, but you can use canola oil, which is less expensive. Do a search on sealing. I can't say much about that.

I often use Suave Naturals as a leave-in. Just a tiny bit on really soaking hair, but it helps definition and smoothes a bit.

Sorry you're having problems! Good luck.

I'm not a "cones are evil" person, if you loved them, great!
  • Morgan_AdcockMorgan_Adcock Registered Users Posts: 2,573 Curl Neophyte
    Generally speaking, the people who do best with protein are those of us with fine hair. People with medium hair can use some protein and some oil. Those with coarse hair don't do well with protein except when the hair is damaged, but do need oil.

One thing you could try would be making your own flaxseed gel. It literally costs only a few pennies per batch. I get flaxseeds in the bulk foods section of our regular market. I use 2 tablespoons to 1 to 1 1/2 cups of water. This can be increased by doubling, trebling, etc., but bear in mind that the larger the batch the more difficulty you may have with straining the seeds out of the gel.

Another thing that might help is water washing, which costs nothing. What this involves is just giving yourself a really good scalp massage under running hot water. You hair and scalp don't get stripped of oils when you do this, and I find that my hair is more manageable. I was really skeptical when I first read about this in Curly Girl, but when I finally tried it half a year or more later, I was totally shocked at how well my hair turned out. At first I thought it was just a fluke, but when I finally got around to trying it again, I had the same results (consistently). My reluctance to try it, and to accept the results when I did was due to the fact that I had never had any luck just wetting my hair so that I could restyle it, no matter how recently I'd washed it. I suspect this is probably why Lorraine Massey had an official sniffer when she was developing the method. I know I was concerned about how my hair would smell when I first did this, but I've never gotten any hint that my hair smelled less than clean.
    Peace,
    Morgan

Baby Fine 3B, low porosity, normal density and elasticity
    CGing since July 2008
  • ththdththd Registered Users Posts: 306 Curl Novice
    Thank you guys! I appreciate the quick responses. I have tried protein (not the gelatin but others) and it made my hair feel like straw. I have also tried the water wash and my hair looks all tangley afterwards. I haven't tried the flaxseed gel because I am afraid I wil get it wrong and I can't seem to find them at the store. What isle are they typically in? I don't shop where there are bulk items. I wasn't really big on cones but I hate doing all this research for nothing. My head starts to spin...LOL.
    Thank you both again! I will try to find the flaxseeds again soon!
    Tresemme Botanical shampoo, Cantu No Poo, sometimes Suave Lavender or coconut cowash  
    Tresemme Flawless curls gel, Herbal Essence Totally Twisted gel, Ecostyler gel (pink one)
    I still use Tresemme Fine Mist hairspray for the side swept bangs...I can't live without it!
    Curl Genie: Medium-fine texture, normal to high porosity, low elasticity, medium density
    Flaxseeds are usually in the "health food" section -- but you might ask at a large pharmacy. Just ask somebody who works at whatever store you go to.
    If protein makes your hair feel like straw, it needed to be followed up with a moisturizing conditioner. If that doesn't fix the straw-like feeling, then your hair might not like protein.

I use flax seed gel mixed with another inexpensive gel, Ecostyler. Search recipes here for the flax gel. It's easy to make. You can add anything you want to it, a couple drops of oil, a little honey and it's all inexpensive!

You can use it with your other gels and it might give you a much better result than one or the other alone.

Water washing is great. It really cleans if you massage, but you'll probably need to put conditioner on afterwards to reduce tangles.

If you have an old t-shirt or anything smooth and big enough, have you tried squeezing the water from your hair with that to reduce frizz? That's cheap and it helps a lot.

Being CG or modified CG should not have to cost a lot, so take a big, deep breath and enjoy the journey!
  • heidiheidi Registered Users Posts: 243
    I'm far from an expert when it comes to CG troubleshooting. But maybe, since your hair hates co-washing so much, a low-poo would solve some of your problems? Many wavies prefer low-pooing over co-washing. Just a thought.
    Medium-fine Texture, Normal Porosity, Normal Elasticity, Thick Density
    Co-wash: Renpure Body&Shine
    RO: Kenra Moisturizing Conditioner
    LI/Curl Enhancer: Kenra Moisturizing Conditioner
    Other: I'll add a little AG Mousse Gel if I want something extra.
    Yeah, I followed up with a moisturizing conditioner after the protein treatment and it didn't help much. I have been thinking about buying the Ecostyler but I don't do good with scrunching out the crunch. My hair doesn't seem to like that and I have heard that gel makes you crunchy?? I do use old T-shirts to dry my hair and that has helped some also. I will have to try the conditioner with the water wash, I thought you just used water and no conditioner. I don't always retain everything I read...LOL. I also haven't found a lowpoo in my price range yet...$5.00 or under. Any suggestions??

I sooooo love all the help!!! Especially when you guys understand I don't have much money! By the way, how long does the flaxseed gel last until goes bad? It does go bad right??
  • heidiheidi Registered Users Posts: 243
    I haven't tried it myself but Elasta QP seems to have good reivews and it's cheap.

http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/showthread.php?t=112045

If you can't find a good cheap low-poo maybe some sort of clarifying treatment is in order. Or even something like CJDF, I've got a mostly full bottle I could send you if you're intrested.
    Medium-fine Texture, Normal Porosity, Normal Elasticity, Thick Density
    Co-wash: Renpure Body&Shine
    RO: Kenra Moisturizing Conditioner
    LI/Curl Enhancer: Kenra Moisturizing Conditioner
    Other: I'll add a little AG Mousse Gel if I want something extra.
  • BLBBLB Registered Users Posts: 268
    Just a suggestion on the non expensive low-poo...I now use homeade shampoo bars from www.etsy.com There are tons to choose from (from sellers all over the country), and I'd say 90% of them are CG and made with wholesome ingredients. No sulfates, animal bi-products, etc. I am still on the search for the perfect bar, but every one I've bought has been $8 or under including shipping. The bars last a long time, have a gentle low lather, but still clean well. Just an idea! I know I'm hooked on them.
    2's+3a/ med density/ normal-high porosity/ fine-med texture, normal elasticity (I think!):
    Wash: CJ Daily Fix/Giovanni TTTT
    Conditioner: Giovanni TTT
    DT/PT: CJ Rehab, SSPDT
    LI: Giovanni DLI, AO Mandarin Magic- Jane Carter Scalp Nourishing Serum for dry, sensitive scalp
    Stylers: AG Re:coil, Mop C Curl Cream, CCClite, Spiral Solutions FHG...Sealing w/ Coconut oil
    Finishing product: JC Nourish & Shine, MD Strawberry Smoothie
    http://picasaweb.google.com/114440579402158395573/HAIRPICS?feat=directlink
    Heidi,
    Thank you. I will try to find something cheap so I don't have to mooch off of you...although I very much appreciate the offer:happy7:. If I can't find a cheap one I will get back to ya!

BLB,
    The bars are really good?? I've been nervous to ever try them. If the stuff is all cheap like these products I am willing to try different things. I will try a combination of all of the stuff I have been given on this topic!!! I hope I get something right!
    I keep flax gel in the fridge, it will stay "good" for a week and a half or so. You can re-use the same flax seeds if you freeze them to make 2 batches.

Water washing for me is: massage (scrub) scalp, rinse all, then add conditioner below ears/on canopy for detangling and clumps.

Ecostyler can be a little crunchy, but it's not that crunchy. Especially if you put it on when your hair is really wet (but that also dilutes it). A tiny bit of leave-in helps control the crunch. Everybody has different crunch with different products.

How about Johnson and Johnson Detangling shampoo (in the kids/baby section)? It has water-soluble cones, it is sulfate-free and should be under $5. I haven't tried it, I'm allergic to the detergent.

I like soap bars too. Some people hate them. I have to condition, then rinse with diluted vinegar afterwards, but they give me more curl! I use a Dr. Bronners and those are not very expensive. My spouse washes his hair with Dove on occasion!
  • curlyserfcurlyserf Registered Users Posts: 858
    If you have a Trader Joe's nearby, they have a few types of shampoo and conditioner as well as a few other products. I believe all are CG and a bottle of shampoo or conditioner is $2.50 - $3.00. I have a bottle of Refresh Shampoo that I'd be glad to send you if you don't have a TJ near you. I've found others (more expensive) that I like better.

Kerri
    2?/3a ??? ; fine; high density; normal porosity and elasticity
    color treated

CURRENTLY USING:
    cleanse:Organix Vanilla Silk, Use Me Cleansing Cream
    rinse out/li:Ion Effective Care, Tresseme Naturals Radiant Volume (both with NPF added)
    stylers:Curl Keeper, UFD Curly Magic, & Alba Botanicals Strong Hold Gel
    PT:CJ Repair Me

mod CG since August 2010
    When you tried water washing, did you then apply a rinse out conditioner and detangle your hair with the conditioner on it? It's important to do that no matter what method you use to wash your hair.
    Peace,
    Morgan

CGing since July 2008
    curlyserf wrote: »
    If you have a Trader Joe's nearby, they have a few types of shampoo and conditioner as well as a few other products. I believe all are CG and a bottle of shampoo or conditioner is $2.50 - $3.00. I have a bottle of Refresh Shampoo that I'd be glad to send you if you don't have a TJ near you. I've found others (more expensive) that I like better.
    IAgirl wrote: »
    I keep flax gel in the fridge, it will stay "good" for a week and a half or so. You can re-use the same flax seeds if you freeze them to make 2 batches.

Water washing for me is: massage (scrub) scalp, rinse all, then add conditioner below ears/on canopy for detangling and clumps.

Ecostyler can be a little crunchy, but it's not that crunchy. Especially if you put it on when your hair is really wet (but that also dilutes it). A tiny bit of leave-in helps control the crunch. Everybody has different crunch with different products.

How about Johnson and Johnson Detangling shampoo (in the kids/baby section)? It has water-soluble cones, it is sulfate-free and should be under $5. I haven't tried it, I'm allergic to the detergent.

I like soap bars too. Some people hate them. I have to condition, then rinse with diluted vinegar afterwards, but they give me more curl! I use a Dr. Bronners and those are not very expensive. My spouse washes his hair with Dove on occasion!

I didn't use the conditioner the other time I waterwashed but I did this morning. It did help although alot more of my hair came out! I have alot fall out every time I condition, I guess because I have sooo much hair! Anyway, alot more came out this morning. I massaged my scalp, then did ACV rinse, then used my conditioner with slip, rinsed, put a dime size amount of SN coconut for LI, I patted my hair with a t-shirt instead of scrunching also. My curls were a little better and my hair feels really soft but it is BIG today even though I put the HESMU on while it was wet and I used my diffuser after letting it air dry for 40 minutes. It looked horrible at first but as it dried more (I didn't blow dry it all the way dry) it got better but bigger. I still have a couple of straight pieces also, around my face.
    Is there a store that sells Ecostyler? I have only found it online and I hate paying shipping on everything.
    curlyserf wrote: »

I forgot to add that I don't have a TJ near by. I think the closest is like an hour away. I just ordered a soap bar from Etsy so I will see how that works first. Thank you for the offer.
    An easy way to scrunch out the crunch is just to pull your hair back with your hands as if you were making a ponytail.

If you do decide to use the shampoo bars, don't forget the acidic rinse, which is important for bringing your hair pH back into the normal range.
    Peace,
    Morgan

CGing since July 2008
    An easy way to scrunch out the crunch is just to pull your hair back with your hands as if you were making a ponytail.

If you do decide to use the shampoo bars, don't forget the acidic rinse, which is important for bringing your hair pH back into the normal range.

I guess the ACV is what you mean? I should rinse with that after the bar, then condition? I am having pretty good 2nd day hair but that is typical. I always do better the 2nd and 3rd day when I just spray my hair with water and use a little gel. Crazy!
    Some people do soap/shampoo bar...vinegar rinse...conditioner.
    Some go...soap/shampoo bar...conditioner...vinegar rinse.
    I get different results from these different "methods."
    Try both.
    BLB wrote: »
    Just a suggestion on the non expensive [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/DevaCurl-LowPoo-p-54.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=devacurl-lowpoo]low-poo[/buylink]...I now use homeade shampoo bars from www.etsy.com There are tons to choose from (from sellers all over the country), and I'd say 90% of them are CG and made with wholesome ingredients. No sulfates, animal bi-products, etc. I am still on the search for the perfect bar, but every one I've bought has been $8 or under including shipping. The bars last a long time, have a gentle low lather, but still clean well. Just an idea! I know I'm hooked on them.

I got my sweet orange bar from Etsy and tried it today! Was your hair oily or dirty looking the first time you used a bar? My hair looks kinda wet and oily and didn't want to dry. I could go 7 days without washing my hair and it wouldn't look oily so this is weird to me. My hair is very soft, the bar lathered good, and smells wonderful but I don't like the wet look. It's not crunchy from my gel either.
    Make sure you rinse and then rinse again with water. A vinegar rinse (1-2 tablespoons vinegar in 1 cup water) should help with the look you describe. There is a transition period between shampoo bars and other hair cleaners. Give it a few more tries before you make up your mind.
    IAgirl wrote: »
    Make sure you rinse and then rinse again with water. A vinegar rinse (1-2 tablespoons vinegar in 1 cup water) should help with the look you describe. There is a transition period between shampoo bars and other hair cleaners. Give it a few more tries before you make up your mind.

OK, thank you! I was just making sure before I go using it again. I have been cowashing every 3 or 4 days since March so I guess there is still a transition period when you switch it up again? I really can't wait for some actual good hair days!!!!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file