shoulder length hair is NOT long!!!!!

KeenyliciousKeenylicious Posts: 2,320Registered Users
I'm so tired of this girl at my job parading around like her hair is sooooo freakin long. It's BARELY below her shoulders. If i hear her say she "don't need no weave" ONE more time... i'm smothering her w/ a plastic bag.

on top of that her hair is RIDICULOUSLY thin. :angry5:

the more OUTRAGEOUS part is that most of the (black) ppl there think her hair is long too and gas her head up.

you know the state of black women's hair is in disrepair when everyone think half an inch pass shoulder length is long.

hell, i'd probably blow their minds if i straightened my hair one day and showed it's true length (and MY hair isn't even long lmao)
tumblr_lr2y4sUYNh1qb5gkjo1_250.gif
«1

Comments

  • FoxyCleopatraFoxyCleopatra Posts: 412Registered Users
    You know, it's prob not even her fault alone that she thinks her hair is so long. when my hair reached my collarbone, people were always telling me my hair was so long like it was down to my butt! LoL I'd always say it wasn't long and people would argue me up and down that it was. No matter what length I ultimately decide to grow my hair to, I'm not going to walk around proclaiming I don't need weave & all that other stuff b/c it's not necessary to me LoL. Healthy shorter hair looks better than longer, stringy hair. People seem to think length equals healthy hair when really it doesn't.
  • KeenyliciousKeenylicious Posts: 2,320Registered Users
    lol i hate to bring race into it, but i've NEVER seen a non black person say that length hair was long. i thinks it's b/c so many black women never grow their hair pass chin length, so shoulder length is absolutely shocking to them. smh... :sad:
    tumblr_lr2y4sUYNh1qb5gkjo1_250.gif
  • bananafrostybananafrosty Posts: 34Registered Users
    at my high school shoulder length hair was more of the norm; not long, not short. but anything past the shoulder was long. i find it lol-able, mainly because in middle school whenever the white girls would come to school with their big, shocking "short" cut it'd most always be just past their shoulders.
  • EllyEllyOxenFreeEllyEllyOxenFree Posts: 6,446Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    LOL! Your rant is hilarious. Sorry, it is. Honestly, you're right SL isn't long, but I think it's more her stank attitude that annoys you. I actually used to get SO ANNOYED with my hair anytime it passed SL because I hated my hair rubbing on my jacket collars, so I'd declare, "Ugh my hair is getting too long I need to cut it!" Now I knew it wasn't long, but anything that isn't short (not touching your shoulders) people might call "long." I'm actually glad she doesn't think she needs a weave though - no one "needs" a weave.
    BC'ed: 26 Dec 09
    YouTube
    Grand Duchess Fierce Freckles, Mistress of the Mighty Snap and Doyenne of the Potent Products Pavane in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
  • KeenyliciousKeenylicious Posts: 2,320Registered Users
    To some people , pass shoulder is long. It's not short so it's long to her.


    my general point was that most people (those that grow up around ppl whose hair can and often do grow pass shoulder length) that length is considered extremely short. as someone said earlier, the whitel girls at her school thought that length was a SHORT cut.

    it just rubs me the wrong way that so many black women think they've achieved something so great by having hair an inch pass shoulder length. if we would actually care for our hair, it wouldnt be so exciting to see that length.

    and if her hair was short and she had grown it to that length it like a year, i'd say ok, but it's OBVIOUS she doesnt take care of her hair. and it's been the same freakin length since ive met her (almost a year ago)
    and we ALL know shes not keeping it at that length on purpose.
    tumblr_lr2y4sUYNh1qb5gkjo1_250.gif
  • KeenyliciousKeenylicious Posts: 2,320Registered Users
    ellepixie wrote: »
    LOL! Your rant is hilarious. Sorry, it is. Honestly, you're right SL isn't long, but I think it's more her stank attitude that annoys you. I actually used to get SO ANNOYED with my hair anytime it passed SL because I hated my hair rubbing on my jacket collars, so I'd declare, "Ugh my hair is getting too long I need to cut it!" Now I knew it wasn't long, but anything that isn't short (not touching your shoulders) people might call "long." I'm actually glad she doesn't think she needs a weave though - no one "needs" a weave.

    it IS her attitude that bothers lol. but the fact that everyone else is so impressed w/ her length irritates me as well. if she was acting like that and everyone was giving her the "yea ok look" i'd still be annoyed w/ her, but it wouldn't get under my skin as much.

    and the fact that i dont like her very much in general doesnt help lol.

    oh, and she has that "good hair/bad hair" mentality, so SHE thinks some ppld DO need a weave

    ... oh i hevent even mentioned her proclamations of having "good" hair, have i? *sigh* i cant even get into that right now.
    tumblr_lr2y4sUYNh1qb5gkjo1_250.gif
  • EllyEllyOxenFreeEllyEllyOxenFree Posts: 6,446Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    keenyme wrote: »
    ellepixie wrote: »
    LOL! Your rant is hilarious. Sorry, it is. Honestly, you're right SL isn't long, but I think it's more her stank attitude that annoys you. I actually used to get SO ANNOYED with my hair anytime it passed SL because I hated my hair rubbing on my jacket collars, so I'd declare, "Ugh my hair is getting too long I need to cut it!" Now I knew it wasn't long, but anything that isn't short (not touching your shoulders) people might call "long." I'm actually glad she doesn't think she needs a weave though - no one "needs" a weave.

    it IS her attitude that bothers lol. but the fact that everyone else is so impressed w/ her length irritates me as well. if she was acting like that and everyone was giving her the "yea ok look" i'd still be annoyed w/ her, but it wouldn't get under my skin as much.

    and the fact that i dont like her very much in general doesnt help lol.

    oh, and she has that "good hair/bad hair" mentality, so SHE thinks some ppld DO need a weave

    ... oh i hevent even mentioned her proclamations of having "good" hair, have i? *sigh* i cant even get into that right now.
    LMMFAO......... Seeeee....youain'tsayalldat before!!! I am SO dead right now b/c I know exactly what kind of chick you are talking about and I would be SO annoyed as well! I really don't have a way for you to address her without it being rude; I'd just roll my eyes and keep it moving.
    BC'ed: 26 Dec 09
    YouTube
    Grand Duchess Fierce Freckles, Mistress of the Mighty Snap and Doyenne of the Potent Products Pavane in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
  • KeenyliciousKeenylicious Posts: 2,320Registered Users
    lol that's exactly what i do now. i really have no intentions of confronting her... i just wish she would shut the hell up.
    tumblr_lr2y4sUYNh1qb5gkjo1_250.gif
  • Cali ChikCali Chik Posts: 1,494Registered Users
    keenyme wrote: »
    To some people , pass shoulder is long. It's not short so it's long to her.


    my general point was that most people (those that grow up around ppl whose hair can and often do grow pass shoulder length) that length is considered extremely short. as someone said earlier, the whitel girls at her school thought that length was a SHORT cut.

    it just rubs me the wrong way that so many black women think they've achieved something so great by having hair an inch pass shoulder length. if we would actually care for our hair, it wouldn't be so exciting to see that length.

    and if her hair was short and she had grown it to that length it like a year, i'd say ok, but it's OBVIOUS she doesnt take care of her hair. and it's been the same freakin length since ive met her (almost a year ago)
    and we ALL know shes not keeping it at that length on purpose.
    I'mma be real wit you.

    I didn't grow up around white ppl and I certainly don't give a sh*t what they think or what they call long or anybody else for that matter. If you have an issue with the girl for her stank @$$ attitude, I get that. If in your own personal opinion shoulder length hair aint long, that's fine too. But I certainly don't knock her for believing her hair is long. When My hair gets SL I'll be happy because I also feel that SL hair is long. My hair has been PAST SL before and I still think SL is long. That's just how I see it. Short hair to me is above shoulder length.
    subbrock wrote: »
    - don't let everybody elses long straight weave bum you out. don't let other people's big/long natural hair bum you out either. embrace what you have and rock it with confidence, because that's the only way you'll be happy. and whether you realize it or not you are somebody's influence. show them what it truly means to be confident.

    www.lifestarbeauty.com
    Hate me? Love me? then Follow me! www.twitter.com/vidastarr


  • Cali ChikCali Chik Posts: 1,494Registered Users
    keenyme wrote: »
    ellepixie wrote: »
    LOL! Your rant is hilarious. Sorry, it is. Honestly, you're right SL isn't long, but I think it's more her stank attitude that annoys you. I actually used to get SO ANNOYED with my hair anytime it passed SL because I hated my hair rubbing on my jacket collars, so I'd declare, "Ugh my hair is getting too long I need to cut it!" Now I knew it wasn't long, but anything that isn't short (not touching your shoulders) people might call "long." I'm actually glad she doesn't think she needs a weave though - no one "needs" a weave.

    it IS her attitude that bothers lol. but the fact that everyone else is so impressed w/ her length irritates me as well. if she was acting like that and everyone was giving her the "yea ok look" i'd still be annoyed w/ her, but it wouldn't get under my skin as much.

    and the fact that i dont like her very much in general doesnt help lol.

    oh, and she has that "good hair/bad hair" mentality, so SHE thinks some ppld DO need a weave

    ... oh i hevent even mentioned her proclamations of having "good" hair, have i? *sigh* i cant even get into that right now.
    Just read this post.


    F*ck that b*tch.
    subbrock wrote: »
    - don't let everybody elses long straight weave bum you out. don't let other people's big/long natural hair bum you out either. embrace what you have and rock it with confidence, because that's the only way you'll be happy. and whether you realize it or not you are somebody's influence. show them what it truly means to be confident.

    www.lifestarbeauty.com
    Hate me? Love me? then Follow me! www.twitter.com/vidastarr


  • EllyEllyOxenFreeEllyEllyOxenFree Posts: 6,446Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    :occasion5:
    BC'ed: 26 Dec 09
    YouTube
    Grand Duchess Fierce Freckles, Mistress of the Mighty Snap and Doyenne of the Potent Products Pavane in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
  • ChloesCurlyChloesCurly Posts: 54Registered Users
    Agreed. You also have to take into consideration height of the neck and everything else. Like for example my sister has no neck (lol) so her hair QUICKLY hits below shoulder length whereas I look like a giraffe so it took me a long time to get to shoulder length. So to me SL is long (on my head).

    Backindaday, my old bf kindly reassured me that I need not rock my weaves because as long as my hair hit my collarbone....it was long.

    So it's all a matter of opinion I suppose.
    Cali Chik wrote: »
    keenyme wrote: »
    To some people , pass shoulder is long. It's not short so it's long to her.


    my general point was that most people (those that grow up around ppl whose hair can and often do grow pass shoulder length) that length is considered extremely short. as someone said earlier, the whitel girls at her school thought that length was a SHORT cut.

    it just rubs me the wrong way that so many black women think they've achieved something so great by having hair an inch pass shoulder length. if we would actually care for our hair, it wouldn't be so exciting to see that length.

    and if her hair was short and she had grown it to that length it like a year, i'd say ok, but it's OBVIOUS she doesnt take care of her hair. and it's been the same freakin length since ive met her (almost a year ago)
    and we ALL know shes not keeping it at that length on purpose.
    I'mma be real wit you.

    I didn't grow up around white ppl and I certainly don't give a sh*t what they think or what they call long or anybody else for that matter. If you have an issue with the girl for her stank @$$ attitude, I get that. If in your own personal opinion shoulder length hair aint long, that's fine too. But I certainly don't knock her for believing her hair is long. When My hair gets SL I'll be happy because I also feel that SL hair is long. My hair has been PAST SL before and I still think SL is long. That's just how I see it. Short hair to me is above shoulder length.
  • LadyV69LadyV69 Posts: 3,397Registered Users
    keenyme wrote: »
    To some people , pass shoulder is long. It's not short so it's long to her.


    my general point was that most people (those that grow up around ppl whose hair can and often do grow pass shoulder length) that length is considered extremely short. as someone said earlier, the whitel girls at her school thought that length was a SHORT cut.

    it just rubs me the wrong way that so many black women think they've achieved something so great by having hair an inch pass shoulder length. if we would actually care for our hair, it wouldnt be so exciting to see that length.

    and if her hair was short and she had grown it to that length it like a year, i'd say ok, but it's OBVIOUS she doesnt take care of her hair. and it's been the same freakin length since ive met her (almost a year ago)
    and we ALL know shes not keeping it at that length on purpose.

    I get your point. The relaxers break off so many black women's hair that they consider SL and beyond very long. Hell, before I went natural, I considered SL long, because my hair often didn't reach that length with relaxers. After seeing the kind of lengths that are possible with natural hair on the webs, I no longer consider SL long. I consider it more medium length. My hair is SL stretched now and I don't think it's long at all, although some of my friends would think it is.
    Fine haired, low density, highly porous curly kinky lady
    Last relaxer: Not sure. 3/08 or 4/08
    BC'd: 9/18/09
    Co-wash: Suave Naturals, HEHH, Trader Joe's Tea Tree Tingle, CJ Daily Fix
    Leave-In: KCKT, Giovanni Direct Leave-In, CJ Smoothing Lotion
    Stylers: ORS Twist and Loc Gel, KCCC, Ecostyler, SheaMoisture Deep Treatment Masque
    Deep Conditioner: DevaCurl Heaven In Hair, CJ Deep Fix

    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fconfessionsofladyv69.wordpress.com%2F" class="Popup
  • Eighty7Eighty7 Posts: 109Registered Users
    lollllllll, i know right.
    Im now at bra strap length but when I cut my hair to ear len and it got between shoulder & and APL everybody was like girlllllll your hair is so long.
    I dont think my hair is long now I think anything OVER bra strap is long.

    And I also cant stand when people hold on to their thin ends just to keep length
    Like my manager hair was between APL & BSL but it looked like witch hair to me it was so thin she gets relaxers every 6 weeks (wow) she FINALLY got a hair cut to her neck and it looks so much thicker it even MOVES now.
    Last Relaxer : March 2, 2010.
    Big Chop : June 8, 2011
  • greenandchicgreenandchic Posts: 2,584Registered Users
    I remember when my hair was pretty much the length that it is now but pressed out, people though my hair was sooooo long, LOL. When I got the infamous "Halle Berry haircut" in the early 90s, everyone acted like I mutilated myself!
    APL BSL MBL WL HL TBL | porous, fine/medium strands, medium density
    My Fotki!
    Below: Typical PS bun
    004-vi.jpg
  • E.B.E.B. Posts: 158Registered Users
    You know, it's prob not even her fault alone that she thinks her hair is so long. when my hair reached my collarbone, people were always telling me my hair was so long like it was down to my butt! LoL I'd always say it wasn't long and people would argue me up and down that it was. No matter what length I ultimately decide to grow my hair to, I'm not going to walk around proclaiming I don't need weave & all that other stuff b/c it's not necessary to me LoL. Healthy shorter hair looks better than longer, stringy hair. People seem to think length equals healthy hair when really it doesn't.
    I remember when my hair was was collarbone length, people telling me that my hair was long or asking me if my hair was real.

    LadyV69 wrote: »
    I get your point. The relaxers break off so many black women's hair that they consider SL and beyond very long. Hell, before I went natural, I considered SL long, because my hair often didn't reach that length with relaxers. After seeing the kind of lengths that are possible with natural hair on the webs, I no longer consider SL long. I consider it more medium length. My hair is SL stretched now and I don't think it's long at all, although some of my friends would think it is.
    Yeah, once I started checking out fotkis and message boards my idea of "long" changed, when I saw what's possible.
  • CocoTCocoT Posts: 5,330Registered Users
    LMAO at this entire thread. For me, I consider anything above shoulder length short and anything longer, long. Who walk's around claiming "medium" length hair IRL?lol. If you saw somebody doing that they'd be getting the side eye. I've had what I consider to be long hair before so that's how I make my assessment on what's long and what's short. Its different for everybody. I don't think you should get mad at what someone decides to determine their hair as. If she thinks her hair is long, its long.

    But high key, her attitude would get on my LAST muthaf***in nerve as well.LOL
    11.gif
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds
    -Albert Einstein
    Discounts:iHerb: EZA283 for $5 off!, OCO522 for $10 off first purchase | Komaza Care Referral Code: J5Q362VG
  • qteeqtee Posts: 163Registered Users
    This internet thing has distorted all of our minds...My hair has always been considered long..Its always been between 1 in past SL and APL..never any longer cause I constantly dyed and permed it to death..but in RL that is what is considered long...Now my hair is grazing APL and I wont str8en it cause I dont think its long enough...DISTORTED!!!
    Natural 3C
    My fav styer-Ecostyler olive oil gel

    I luv Tressemme Moisturizing curls conditioner..

    Olive oil and Argan oil are my fav oils..

    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpublic.fotki.com%2Fliteskinqtee" class="Popup
  • The New BlackThe New Black Posts: 16,738Registered Users
    Hee, my hair is just past SL and I described it the other day as "really long." Ha. Oh well...
    montage-3.gif No MAS.

    I am the new Black.

    "Hope the Mail are saving space tomorrow for Samantha Brick's reaction piece on the reactions to her piece about the reactions to her piece." ~ Tweet reposted by Rou.
  • JessicazFroJessicazFro Posts: 1,446Registered Users
    My hair is APL stretched. I don't consider it long. Whilst relaxed my hair reached BSL. I thought it was "almost long". I consider mid-back length and beyond long. But that's just me. Perspective is everything. :compress:
    tex-laxed(pfffttt) :dontknow:
    Thick/coarse/low porosity/low elasticity
    4a/b cottony/spongy

    At war with my indestructible, armadillo hair...MY WILL BE DONE!

    imager.php?id=2689460&t=o GIFSoup
    :tongue:
  • afrosheenqueenafrosheenqueen Posts: 5,400Registered Users
    My hair is past shoulder length and while it's the longest I've ever had in recent memory, pictures clearly show that it's not long. LOL

    Once it starts getting around the armpit to bra strap area then I'll start calling something long. :tongue5:
    4a/b Texlaxed hair w/ highlights. Medium texture & high porosity.

    HG's: CJ Daily Fix, Bobeam Cheris Hibiscus shampoo bar, KC Spiral Spritz, Knot Today, CJ Rehab, KBB LL Hair Mask, Cassia, KCCC, oil blend of Avocado, Camellia, Jojoba, & Meadowfoam oils

    SL APL BSL MBL
  • EllyEllyOxenFreeEllyEllyOxenFree Posts: 6,446Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    +1 for the ladies who never thought SL was long. And people IRL who actually know about hair care definitely say medium length. You definitely need that term if you are going to the salon to get a haircut, lol! Even shoulder length is a common term for a hair length, but most don't call it long, at least not that I've heard.
    BC'ed: 26 Dec 09
    YouTube
    Grand Duchess Fierce Freckles, Mistress of the Mighty Snap and Doyenne of the Potent Products Pavane in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
  • your cheezinessyour cheeziness Posts: 38Registered Users
    "long hair" is relative. It depends on what you've always known. If all you see are short cuts or damaged hair, then SL hair will seem very long. My SO thought my relaxed SL hair was long, but I know better after being on hair boards.
    Hair Type: Mine!
    BC @ 23 weeks on 7/22/2010
    comicp-vi.jpg
  • Big BossBig Boss Posts: 22Registered Users
    I wouldn't consider shoulder length long for a lot of reasons. When I was relaxed my hair was shifting from APL-BSL and everyone said I had long hair. I've only been growing my natural hair out for a year now and my lowest layer is in between CBL and APL.

    So...if I can get my hair past SL in a year, then that's not long because it's only a year of good hair care.
  • rainshowerrainshower Posts: 4,420Registered Users
    just below [top of] shoulder length hair can look longish, depending on how it's grown out and cut, and on how long a person's face and neck is, etc.

    round face, no neck, and a one-lenth bob will look between shortish to medium length.

    thin, oval or triangular face with long neck, and the same cut will look much longer.

    it's all relative and really not a big deal.

    and lets be honest. to many black women who have been permed since they were little girls, to achieve top of shoulder relaxed hair is a feat and does seem like it's long when the alternative was years of broken off and damaged hair.
    "Dogs stink too, but I like dog stink." ~ rileyb
  • KeenyliciousKeenylicious Posts: 2,320Registered Users
    rainshower wrote: »
    it's all relative and really not a big deal.

    and lets be honest. to many black women who have been permed since they were little girls, to achieve top of shoulder relaxed hair is a feat and does seem like it's long when the alternative was years of broken off and damaged hair.


    THAT'S what i was tying to point out... well the fact that i think it's sad.

    and no, it's not a big deal... it's just that the bolded, combined w/ that girl's overall attitude has been getting to me lately. i haven't seen her in a few days so i'm over.
    tumblr_lr2y4sUYNh1qb5gkjo1_250.gif
  • FaithfulTfFaithfulTf Posts: 1Registered Users
    If she wants to brag let her brag. Maybe the length that her hair has reached doesn't really run in her family, leaving her to be happy about it.
  • KeenyliciousKeenylicious Posts: 2,320Registered Users
    FaithfulTf wrote: »
    If she wants to brag let her brag. Maybe the length that her hair has reached doesn't really run in her family, leaving her to be happy about it.
    So... do you not look at dates before replying to threads?

    The fact that I was emailed about a reply to a thread that I created before I could even legally drink... did you really feel I still felt passionate about this seven years later? Because apparently I stopped caring about this days after I posted it.

    If there's anyone from old school CurlTalk out there watching... hi guys!!!
    tumblr_lr2y4sUYNh1qb5gkjo1_250.gif
  • KeenyliciousKeenylicious Posts: 2,320Registered Users
    FaithfulTf wrote: »
    If she wants to brag let her brag. Maybe the length that her hair has reached doesn't really run in her family, leaving her to be happy about it.
    So... do you not look at dates before replying to threads?

    The fact that I was emailed about a reply to a thread that I created before I could even legally drink... did you really feel I still felt passionate about this seven years later? Because apparently I stopped caring about this days after I posted it.

    If there's anyone from old school CurlTalk out there watching... hi guys!!!
    tumblr_lr2y4sUYNh1qb5gkjo1_250.gif
«1

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file