Please share your methods of product distribution, layering and order of application!

justajesuschickjustajesuschick Registered Users Posts: 1,657 Curl Neophyte
Let's talk about styling products, so what you'd apply how and when after cleansing/conditioning.

Do you smooth, scrunch in or rake?

Wet hair or blotted/damp hair?

Do you use all products all through hair or some on ends only, some on root/crown only?

Today I scrunch in, damp/blotted dry hair and I use all gels and curl cream root to tip. Wondering if things like curl cream might be better away from root and then layer gels all over.

Curious to hear your responses!
I'm 47. Straight hair until 6/2010. THANKS, thyroid!
2b, medium-fine, normal-low porosity, medium density and elasticity
CG since 7/1/2010

Cleanse: Abba Color Protect
Condition: DevaCurl OC
LI: CJ-Deep Fix, Beauticurls LI
Curl Enhancer: CHS Curl Keeper, KCCC
Gel: Alba Strong Hold Gel, BRHG, Hugo Naturals Gel, SS FHG, CJPP
Trying/Maybe: Ecostyler, CJRM

Comments

• asianrunnerasianrunner Registered Users Posts: 2,251 Curl Neophyte
    I used to do the full ice queen method and then went "modified" where I rake my rinse out conditioner through my hair and then only scrunch my hair while rinsing out upside down.

I then scrunch out excess water after I turn off the water and scrunch in some leave-in. Then I scrunch in my gelly/cream product and then scrunch in my gel and then plop. Or sometimes I will scrunch in my gelly/cream, plop then the gel and then plopping in a fresh flour sack towel.
    Coarse texture, normal-high porosity, normal elasticity (Komaza Care), very weak waves
    cleanser: Redken Fresh Curls Shampoo, CJ Daily Fix

rinse out: GVP Conditioning Balm, CJ Beauticurls, CJ Smoothing

jellies/creams: CR Curl Maker, KCCC
    gels: CJ CQ, CJ Pattern Pusha, BRHG

• justajesuschickjustajesuschick Registered Users Posts: 1,657 Curl Neophyte
    ar-so you distribute all products through all of your hair? Avoid root area with any?
    Tonight I am going to try MOP curl cream on ends and length of hair, but avoid root area. I plan to mix SS FH and BRHG to layer and coat up to scalp. Will see if this gives any different result!
    I'm 47. Straight hair until 6/2010. THANKS, thyroid!
    2b, medium-fine, normal-low porosity, medium density and elasticity
    CG since 7/1/2010

Cleanse: Abba Color Protect
    Condition: DevaCurl OC
    LI: CJ-Deep Fix, Beauticurls LI
    Curl Enhancer: CHS Curl Keeper, KCCC
    Gel: Alba Strong Hold Gel, BRHG, Hugo Naturals Gel, SS FHG, CJPP
    Trying/Maybe: Ecostyler, CJRM
  • IAgirlIAgirl Registered Users Posts: 2,540 Curl Neophyte
    I distribute my products on the shelf in the bathroom in the order in which I last use them and swore I'd not try them again, so the most recent layer is the stuff I forgot the reason for which I didn't like it.

Damp hair is better than wet (my hair doesn't "soak up" anything anyhow). Raking in is a sure way to loosen waves and make them stringy.

With very fine hair with low porosity, I feel like most products just kind of hang on. My spouse has thicker, more porous hair and he uses a rich conditioner, I put LI in his hair, and then sometimes Ecostyler and it controls his waves/curls and looks natural and so darn cute. If I did that it would be an awful mess.

Now, should I wash my hair with a bar soap, apply conditioner, then do a vinegar rinse -- that's very different hair.
  • pedahehpedaheh Registered Users Posts: 4,812 Curl Neophyte
    I scrunch in my leave in and curl enhancer upside down into wet hair. I also scrunch out as much water as possible. Plop. Pixie diffuse some then scrunch in gel. Pixie diffuse more.
    http://pedaheh.blogspot.com/ (a blog to help new wavies, go to the how do I get started page)
    2a (nc.com) 2bFi (Fia), very fine, thin, low/normal elasticity, porous, CG, doesn't get weighed down
    Cowash: Tresemme naturals
    Rinse out/leave in: Renpure Organics (red)
    Curl enhancer: FSG
    Gel: BRHG, Salon care aloe, Ecostyler Krystal (normal dews)
    PT: ION effective care, IAgirl's gelatin PT
    Low Poo: renpure (red), Ion swimmers
  • asianrunnerasianrunner Registered Users Posts: 2,251 Curl Neophyte
    ar-so you distribute all products through all of your hair? Avoid root area with any?
    Tonight I am going to try MOP curl cream on ends and length of hair, but avoid root area. I plan to mix SS FH and BRHG to layer and coat up to scalp. Will see if this gives any different result!

Hmm I guess my root area doesn't really product. I just emulsify the product between my hands and then just start scrunching!
    Coarse texture, normal-high porosity, normal elasticity (Komaza Care), very weak waves
    cleanser: Redken Fresh Curls Shampoo, CJ Daily Fix

rinse out: GVP Conditioning Balm, CJ Beauticurls, CJ Smoothing

jellies/creams: CR Curl Maker, KCCC
    gels: CJ CQ, CJ Pattern Pusha, BRHG

• plunkybugplunkybug Registered Users Posts: 2,526
    My hair is too long to scrunch in...if I scrunched it in, I'd only get about half of my hair covered. Unless I'm doing it all wrong! That said, I have to rake or smooth in product...gel is a little different story. I usually do it with fairly wet hair...I haven't found any difference with damp hair, because in the end, I semi super soak, so my hair gets all wet again as I scrunch in palmfuls of water to help reform clumps. I do this twice, once after I apply curl enhancers, and once after I add gel. Supposedly, adding products to soaking wet hair increases clumping, though I think that wavies find that adding gel to damp vs wet hair is better. Now that I diffuse, I might try adding it all to wet hair, super soaking and plopping followed by diffusing. I'm not sure if I am going to continue with smasters method...I'm not sure if adding the second round of gel is what's been (or maybe partially contributing to) drying my hair out. I'm in this new weather and having loads of fun coping. Not. :protest:

As for distribution...I aim for all over coverage, but sometimes I think that it makes my roots get weighed down more...I find though, that there are parts of my hair that always seem like I missed getting them covered despite always trying to cover it all...I'm beginning to wonder if that hair is lower porosity since it tends to be new growth areas...roots, near the crown, and nape of my neck.

Lady Caiside, Noble Lushetarian and Wavy Wayfarer of Mugglswick, in the Order of the Curly Crusaders

2b-3a Fii, porous and low elasticity

Currently using a variety of products, and looking for that magic combo

Hair bio: http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/showpost.php?p=1252125&postcount=59

• waterlilieswaterlilies Registered Users Posts: 9
    I add a couple of sprays of leave in through my wet hair. Then I add a pea size amount of Recoil to the palm of my hand. I add the same amount of BRHG and rub it in between my hands. I apply the mixture through out my hair and then I comb my hair using a wide tooth comb making sure to part my hair the way I want. I then rake my hair away from my scalp and scrunch a little with my hands before finishing up the scrunching with my CLU towel. Once I've scrunched enough, I turn the water on to a little more than a drip, add a very small dab of BRHG to the palm of my hand and run my hand under the water. I'll then rub the wet BRHG in between my hands and scrunch a little more of the BRHG into my hair. I'll probably add 4-5 dabs of wet BRHG to my hair before my hair is ready to air dry. I'll leave my hair alone for about a half hour before I turn my hair dryer on to a low cool setting to hand diffuse. I just cup my curls in my hand and push them in gently while the air blows on them. Once my hair is completely dry, I will scrunch a little more to get rid of the crunch and add a little Mill Creek H-24 hair spray in strategic spots to create lift where I want it and make my hair look polished.

It sounds like a lot now that I've written it out.
    2a/b, fine, low porosity, needs very little protein

Co-wash: Nature's Gates Tea Tree Conditioner, GVP Conditioning Balm
    Leave In: Nature's Gate Tree Conditioner
    Stylers: CURLS by Target, BRHG
  • Robin-in-FLRobin-in-FL Registered Users Posts: 1,731 Curl Neophyte
    Lately I've been doing this:

Rinse hair upside down with cold water from faucet till very wet, comb through about 2-3T of conditioner to leave-in, and 3 pumps of recoil (maybe 1T?).

Squeeze and shake hair and, if necessary, smooth or separate individual clumps. (still upside down) giving the conditioner & recoil time to soak in. Adding a handful of water if needed, or more condish, whatever it feels like it needs.

Then with hair still very wet, 2 pumps of ArcAngell into the top hair, 2 pumps for each side, squelching well to try to distribute it. This gets a lot of the water out.

Then scrunch and squeeze it with a t-shirt, getting a bunch more water out, loosely plop while getting dressed/made up, then let it down and observe & arrange the front, often but not always smoothing a little more gel over the top layer and/or scrunching a little bit more in.

So I leave a heck of a lot of stuff in my hair and it looks better.

ETA: Plunky, I could not effectively scrunch in gel until I cut my hair to shoulder-length with lots of layers. Now it works OK as long as I use lots of gel. ArcAngell is good for this because it's watery and really spreads out well. I still can't imagine being able to scrunch in a pea size of something, like people say they do.
    2c / C / iii (FIA)
    Med-Coarse, LowPorosity, NormalElast (LCLF)

Shoulder-Length now.

Wash: DevaCare Low Poo
    Detangle & Rinseout: Walgreens or Sally's Conditioning Balm (always)
    Leave-in: DevaCare OneC (budget choice is GFTN)
    Style: ReCoil & DevaCare Arc Angel (budget choices are HESMU or Got2BSpikedUp)

Henna!
  • ailes d'angeailes d'ange Registered Users Posts: 5
    for me - I guess it changes everyday - today I co-washed, conditioned, cold rinse-out upside down - added leave-in and squeezed out a bit of water, and squeezed in [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Curly-Hair-Solutions-Curl-Keeper-p-28.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=curly-hair-solutions-curl-keeper]curl keeper[/buylink] and then recoil while gettting some water out... plopped about 10 minutes then added just a drop of gel and pixie diffused... not too bad..
  • curlywurlygurlycurlywurlygurly Registered Users Posts: 1,180
    I don't really have much of a technique atm, nothing seems to be working consistently for me.

generally I rake the scrunch LI, then curl cream. Scrunch like crazy and remove excess water. then scrunch in gel. scrunch out extra excess water with MF towel. Re-arrange front, clip if I feel like it. Pixie diffuse. Air dry. SOTC.
    Not working fantastically for me atm though. *sigh* I've been experimenting too much with new products I think.
    2 something Australian :toothy4:

http://public.fotki.com/curlywurlygurly/
    pw:aussie

Aiming to grow hair to waist from buzz cut - slowly but surely.
  • wavynwild16wavynwild16 Registered Users Posts: 2,121
    I never really thought about smoothing my product in. DUH! :tongue3: All I have in my head after I shower is, "Scrunch, scrunch, scrunch!" So I apply my products that way, and I don't cover my roots with product -- probably just from my chin down (I don't like a producty feeling on my scalp). I like my hair to be pretty wet when I apply my gel. I don't like doing it on damp hair for some reason. I feel like my hair just doesn't absorb it as well. And when I remember, I just graze over the canopy of my hair to try and eliminate some of my frizzies -- although I think my hair has been liking all the extra moisture I've been treating it with lately, since it isn't as frizzy (FINALLY! :occasion7:).
    Type 2c/3a with lots of hair and a super sensitive scalp! Med/slightly coarse texture, low porosity and elasticity.

Favorite...
    Low poo: Organix TTM, Essential Wholesale Free & Clean
    RO/LI: TN, GFTN, YTC
    Stylers: EcoStylers, GF Curl Shaping Gel, Aussie Aussome Volume Mousse & Instant Freeze Gel, GFPC, LALNC, La Bella Lots of Curls, Apricot Oil, KMFUM, AO B5DG
    Extras: sugar scrubs, AVG washes, pre-poos with EVCO, oiling scalp before washes, plopping, gelatin PT.
    Mod-CG since 12/1/10! :happy7:
  • SalamanderSalamander Registered Users Posts: 328
    When my hair was longer, I used to use a denman brush to apply leave in and gel, then I would scrunch. My hair is super thick so it was hard to coat everywhere by just scrunching.

Now that it is short, it is easier to distribute product but the downside is my wave pattern at this length is a lot weaker.

So here's what I do now:

- Leave in is applied to soaking wet hair
    - Then I keep scrunching for a while to squeeze out as much water as I can and get the waves going
    - Scrunch in Eco-Styler Krystal
    - Use a microfiber towel or t-shirt to scrunch and blot out as much water as possible
    - Let air dry or diffuse a little
    - When partially dry and waves are forming nicely, scrunch a little BRHG over it
    - Let dry completely and SOTC

The rule here seems to be that with weak curl pattern, you need to get as much water out of your hair as possible BEFORE applying gels; and also that putting a hard-hold gel on AFTER you've got the curl pattern somewhat set will help keep it from loosening as it dries.
    2a/b right now; 2c when it's longer
    Fine/iii density/high porosity

Current favorites:
    Suave Naturals Coconut co-wash
    GVP Protein Restructuring Conditioner
    GVP Conditioning Balm
    Eco-Styler, LALSG, BRHG, Garnier Curl Shaping Spray Gel
    ACV rinse 1x per week

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights