Enhancing fine haired waves underneath canopy

leonita poraleonita pora Registered Users Posts: 175
My finest hair is underneath my canopy in the back (where the back of the head meets the neck) and coincidentally, it has the weakest curl pattern (body wave to 2a). Today I'm having a pretty good day on my canopy, but what is SO annoying is that due to that underneath layer making up the longest layer of my hair, it always shows through. Luckily the canopy covers most of it so just straight ends show, but depending on how my hair moves around, that straight underneath layer is more apparent.

So, I thought today, hmm... this hair is finer, and while the rest of my hair seems to be happy and doing its thing, perhaps this particular part of my hair needs more protein. So, I used my SS Strength and Shine spray on that part of the hair, only spraying underneath my canopy, and the result is better. No curls really, but at least it looks more texturized.

Does anyone have this similar problem and have a way to deal with it? Or maybe I'm correct, and this section of hair is going to need more protein than the rest?
Fia: 2b-2c/Fine-Medium/iii (Thick)
Low-Poo: Giovanni 50/50 Balanced Shampoo, Shampoo bars
Co-Wash: Trader Joe's Refresh, CJ Daily Fix, CFT Creamy Curl Cleanser
Rinse-out: Trader Joe's Nourish, GFTN, Aubrey Organics GPB
Leave-in/Curl Creme: Marie Dean Curly Styling Creme
Gel: BRHG, homemade FSG, CJ Curl Queen, Deva AnGel
Hair likes: Protein, FSG, high dewpoints
Hair dislikes: coconut oil on dry hair

Comments

• porque_pigporque_pig Registered Users Posts: 238
    I have the exact same problem.

I have red that most stylists who specialize in curly hair can remedy the problem my cutting an even "base" for the hair in the back. Some stylists even cut that bottom layer a little bit shorter than the canopy to keep it from poking through. I think I'm going to try that out when I go for my first Deva cut.
    :batman: 2b/cFi, low density, normal porosity, high elasticity

Low-poo
    : Trader Joe's Tea Tree Tingle
    Conditioner
    : Suave Naturals (whatever scent I have on hand)
    Styling
    : Paul Mitchell Round Trip, Tresemme Climate Control Finishing Spray

I'm a hair minimalist: the less time I spend on my hair, the better.

• leonita poraleonita pora Registered Users Posts: 175
    porque_pig wrote: »

I have red that most stylists who specialize in curly hair can remedy the problem my cutting an even "base" for the hair in the back. Some stylists even cut that bottom layer a little bit shorter than the canopy to keep it from poking through. I think I'm going to try that out when I go for my first Deva cut.

I actually went to a Deva cut trained stylist for my last cut. Although I was overall pleased with the cut, she didn't cut my hair completely dry, and didn't use Deva products on me. However, I found her through the Deva website. In any case, her approach was to shape this section of my hair into points. She said that should encourage the curl, or at least give the appearance of tendrils. The next haircut I get (not sure if I will go back to her or the stylist I normally see), I'm going to discuss shortening this area in the back.
    Fia: 2b-2c/Fine-Medium/iii (Thick)
    Low-Poo: Giovanni 50/50 Balanced Shampoo, Shampoo bars
    Co-Wash: Trader Joe's Refresh, CJ Daily Fix, CFT Creamy Curl Cleanser
    Rinse-out: Trader Joe's Nourish, GFTN, Aubrey Organics GPB
    Leave-in/Curl Creme: Marie Dean Curly Styling Creme
    Gel: BRHG, homemade FSG, CJ Curl Queen, Deva AnGel
    Hair likes: Protein, FSG, high dewpoints
    Hair dislikes: coconut oil on dry hair
  • CheetaraCheetara Registered Users Posts: 2,182 Curl Neophyte
    porque_pig wrote: »
    I have the exact same problem.

Heh. I went to the actual Devachan salon and they didn't do that for me. I wound up going back to have them tune up my haircut because the straight underlayer was bugging me.
    Sort of CG sometimes, but not really
    2B, medium? normal porosity and elasticity?

Cleansers -
    Suave Clarifying, Philosophy Happy Birthday Beautiful

Stylers - BRHG, re:coil, Ion Hairspray

I live in the NYC area.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file