Bad Tangles

Alice2Alice2 Registered Users Posts: 1
I have very long 2c hair (lower-back-length.) It seems fairly healthy, split ends under control, a bit of frizz but for the most part looks good and has sheen. However, it becomes tangled very easily. I can completely detangle it in the shower while conditioner is on with a wide-tooth comb, and after rinsing and putting in leave-in, it will be tangled 20 minutes into drying without me doing anything. Running my fingers through it for more than an inch or two will be pretty much impossible (I know you're not supposed to run your fingers through dried hair, I'm just using this as an example.) Is this simply the nature of curly hair, and it's impossible to have hair that's both curly and which you can run your fingers through?

I do a conditioner-only wash with Garnier Fructis Triple Nutrition, detangle, then rinse and use the same conditioner as a leave-in.

Comments

• hihisakurahihisakura Registered Users Posts: 11
    Me too! The littlest things will get my hair tangled SO EASILY, it's enough to drive someone insane. Especially when in wet. I end up loading up with the conditioner and combing like crazy during and before leaving the shower.
    :icescream:Type:2c/3a botticelli curls with 2b/c at the underlayers and some of the back, very thick and mid-back length, black w/ very few caramel highlights

I kept falling off the cg wagon but finally started properly as of July 2010
    I use tresemme naturals condish, liveclean argan oil and argan oil leave-in condish and curl keeper!:angel9:
  • tycho19tycho19 Registered Users Posts: 805
    One thing that is really helping me is [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Knot-Today-p-207.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-knot-today-leaveindetangler]Kinky Curly Knot Today[/buylink]. I use it as a rinse out and a tiny amount as a leave in. That stuff has some serious slip!
    2B/2C wavy
    Don't Breed and Buy While Shelter Dogs Die - Adopt your next best friend!
  • Robin-in-FLRobin-in-FL Registered Users Posts: 1,731 Curl Neophyte
    I have naturally tangly hair too.

What helps:
    Washing more often (well, wetting and conditioning at least)

Smoothing individual curls as part of styling.

Keeping it shorter :( I think long hairs will always tangle more.

And yes, I think it's a hair type because there are ladies who say they never get tangles, no matter what they do. And I always get some no matter what I do.

On the smoothing individual curls, since that's probably the quickest thing you can do, what I mean is: after you add leave-in, and curl cream if you use it, go into your hair with your fingers and separate the curls from each other, smoothing down the hair chunks, loosening them from your head and encouraging them to hang together instead of mixing up with everyone else. Once this is done I scrunch in the gel - if you are curlier you could probably add it at the first, before the smoothing, but that doesn't work as well for me.

I don't do this all the time but do notice that it dramatically reduces the tangling. I actually do it upside down for the top hairs and leaning WAY to sides for side and back, and then even though I've upside downed, the hair doesn't tangle as bad.
    2c / C / iii (FIA)
    Med-Coarse, LowPorosity, NormalElast (LCLF)

Shoulder-Length now.

Wash: DevaCare Low Poo
    Detangle & Rinseout: Walgreens or Sally's Conditioning Balm (always)
    Leave-in: DevaCare OneC (budget choice is GFTN)
    Style: ReCoil & DevaCare Arc Angel (budget choices are HESMU or Got2BSpikedUp)

Henna!
  • asianrunnerasianrunner Registered Users Posts: 2,251 Curl Neophyte
    I never get tangles but I know some ladies use a Denman brush when hair is still wet.
    Coarse texture, normal-high porosity, normal elasticity (Komaza Care), very weak waves
    cleanser: Redken Fresh Curls Shampoo, CJ Daily Fix

rinse out: GVP Conditioning Balm, CJ Beauticurls, CJ Smoothing

jellies/creams: CR Curl Maker, KCCC
    gels: CJ CQ, CJ Pattern Pusha, BRHG

• IAgirlIAgirl Registered Users Posts: 2,540 Curl Neophyte
    When I used to wash my hair with sulfates and sometimes used silicone conditioners and brush and comb it several times per day, I seemed to have more tangles. Now that I only finger-comb or use a wide-tooth comb, it seems I have fewer tangles. Maybe it was a change in products and less daily damage.
    I work next to a gravel road and the dust really sticks to silicone (it will stick without cones too) and that will cause tiny knots and tangles.

I was never fond of the Garnier Fructis Triple stuff. I used it for quite a while. My long hair ALWAYS seemed tangly when I was using that conditioner. That's why I stopped using it.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file