Love Joico K-Pak, but hate its mineral oil? Have I got a Protein Tx for YOU!(w/ PICS)

MirCurlsMirCurls Posts: 2,660Registered Users Curl Neophyte
Okay, last night I tested the soon-to-be-released (soon meaning in November sometime) Curl Junkie protein treatment. It's supposed to be a CG/CJ alternative to K-Pak's deep protein tx (which I have used for ages).

No mineral oil. So, if you have issues with that, this is the one for you.

I prefer NOT having the mineral oil (as it can be a bit weighing/coaty on my fine hair).

I posted 8 pics of my mostly dry hair over on Fotki (I was trying to find some good lighting to show details, but the lighting in my house SUCKS and it was night-time, so we couldn't do it outside).

http://public.fotki.com/MirCurls/hair-september-2010/page2.html

( I haven't had a trim in 5 months, and I guess it shows a bit...)

Products used:
Washed with CJ lowpoo
PROTEIN TX with heat for 20 mins
rinse
Curl Rehab with processing cap 5 mins sans heat, 5 mins with heat (got impatient and was nibbling supper).
Leave In: CJ CALI
Stylers: BB FSG, Abba Pure Style Gel

Hair is about 95% dry in the pics.

You can't feel it, but the sproing and bounce is unbelievable. I didn't clip. AT ALL. I wanted to show how my roots lifted BY THEMSELVES nicely. Even though I don't do anything to promote clumps (I brush a lot, I put product on damp hair after using 4 to 5 floursack towels to dry it and brush each time.) I diffused to 90% dry.

I may have used a tad too much leave in (which I probably didn't need after the deep tx's), but even so I'm not weighed down and despite diffusing roughly, no frizz.

Woke up with very nice curls second day. Exercised. Got caught in the rain. The curls persisted.

I don't need to ever buy K-Pak again. :D

buh-bye mineral oil

It's white and creamy. It smells to me like a bit coconut and a bit vanilla, though I think it's supposed to be just a "coconutty smell". I still smelled it today (especially after gettting caught in the rain and damp hair released the scent). It's not overpowering and it's fine, and I tend to HATE coconut hair products, so that's something. :D

If I were naming this baby, I'd name it Protein Dream.

ETA: a few pics. The last one (sorry, no makeup, ugh) shows the root lift WITHOUT CLIPPING or extra gel or anything. The lift is solely from the treatment. And my hair normally needs [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Curl-Junkie-Curls-in-a-Bottle-p-995.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=Curl-Junkie-Curls-in-a-Bottle]CIAB[/buylink] for shine, but without [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Curl-Junkie-Curls-in-a-Bottle-p-995.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=Curl-Junkie-Curls-in-a-Bottle]CIAB[/buylink], I got very nice luster. (Whoa, I really do need a trim. Been 5 months, and I gots the straggly clumps.)
3a3b
Natural since 11/25/09
Then: fine, superdry, non-elastic, porous
Now: medium, dry, elastic, lower porosity, BSL

Curl Junkie Conditions!
Eden BW Cleansing Condish Rocks!

~CJ Protein Tx
; BEE-U-Ti-Ful Deep Condish
~SMasters Method; Pixie-curling
Dumped clumps for VOLUME!

Marchioness Mir, Magister of Moisturization & Mystic of the Lofty Crown in the Order of the Curly Crusaders

Comments

• italiancurlsitaliancurls Posts: 65Registered Users
    random question but why do you normally hate coconut products? just wonderin coz we have similiar hair
    ~3b~fine~long~porous

<3's - protein and moisture :love8:

*growing it out to mid-thigh length*
  • MirCurlsMirCurls Posts: 2,660Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    random question but why do you normally hate coconut products? just wonderin coz we have similiar hair

The smell. I don't like my hair smelling coconutty. :D It's less about coconut derivatives or oils, but the added fragrances.
    3a3b
    Natural since 11/25/09

Curl Junkie Conditions!

~CJ Protein Tx

Marchioness Mir, Magister of Moisturization & Mystic of the Lofty Crown in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
  • lovelovelovelovelovelove Posts: 257Registered Users
    Such such SUCH beautiful curls Mir!! I'm having definite curl envy here!

I'm getting this the second it comes out.
    Ca m'a fait de la pé-peine!:love7:
  • curlyserfcurlyserf Posts: 858Registered Users
    Absolutely beautiful! You've got me so anxious to order some CJ products. I've been wanting to try the CIAB for a while. I haven't yet found a good curl enhancer. But I figure I may as well wait until the new products come out in a week.

I did a Joico PT last night. I unexpectedly ended up getting my hair cut and colored last night, so I'm glad I did. The CJ PT sounds good since it doesn't have the mineral oil. I've only used the Joico a few times, but I'm thinking the mineral oil may be weighing my hair down. Hopefully my Joico will be gone by November and I can try the CJ!

Kerri
    2?/3a ??? ; fine; high density; normal porosity and elasticity
    color treated

CURRENTLY USING:
    cleanse:Organix Vanilla Silk, Use Me Cleansing Cream
    rinse out/li:Ion Effective Care, Tresseme Naturals Radiant Volume (both with NPF added)
    stylers:Curl Keeper, UFD Curly Magic, & Alba Botanicals Strong Hold Gel
    PT:CJ Repair Me

mod CG since August 2010
  • redcelticcurlsredcelticcurls Posts: 17,502Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Do you know if it's a keratin based treatment? The mineral oil doesn't bother me in the Joico, but it's always good to have options.
    Kiva! Microfinance works.

Med/Coarse, porous curly.
    Do you know if it's a keratin based treatment? The mineral oil doesn't bother me in the Joico, but it's always good to have options.

I don't know. BUT..the way my hair responded, I'd say yes as a guess.
    3a3b
    Natural since 11/25/09

Curl Junkie Conditions!

~CJ Protein Tx

I'll be keeping an eye out for that one.

• angel29ishangel29ish Posts: 800Registered Users
    Again Mir, wow, wow!!! Is the new PT comparable to Curl Fix?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]3B, fine, low/normal porosity
    CG - July 2009
    CO/RO/Trt.-Suave, BCB, Tigi OH & MM, EO, CJRehab, SG, DF & CF, Jasmine's, Bellacurl, SS, Darcy's, K-Pak, Shescentit, DE Coconut, MD, Oyin, JCWDT, CurlQ
    LI-GDLI, Abba PGC, CJRehab, CF,SG & BCLI, Jasmine's, Bellacurl, SS, Shescentit, DE Coconut, MD, Oyin
    Styler-FSG, Re:coil, CJCCCC lite & CIAB, Komaza CCP & CS, DB, BRHG, Joiwhip/gel, Ecostyler, Boots, SS, Gel-les'c, DMMCG, KCSS
    Too many others to list!
    angel29ish wrote: »

My understanding is that it's a stronger protein deep treatment (comparable to K-pak) for hair that needs strengthening/repairing (was formulated specifically for someone with damaged hair).

So, stronger than Curl Fix.
    3a3b
    Natural since 11/25/09

Curl Junkie Conditions!

~CJ Protein Tx

• angel29ishangel29ish Posts: 800Registered Users
    MirCurls wrote: »
    angel29ish wrote: »

My understanding is that it's a stronger protein deep treatment (comparable to K-pak) for hair that needs strengthening/repairing (was formulated specifically for someone with damaged hair).

So, stronger than Curl Fix.

Thanks! I love a good protein fix.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]3B, fine, low/normal porosity
    CG - July 2009
    CO/RO/Trt.-Suave, BCB, Tigi OH & MM, EO, CJRehab, SG, DF & CF, Jasmine's, Bellacurl, SS, Darcy's, K-Pak, Shescentit, DE Coconut, MD, Oyin, JCWDT, CurlQ
    LI-GDLI, Abba PGC, CJRehab, CF,SG & BCLI, Jasmine's, Bellacurl, SS, Shescentit, DE Coconut, MD, Oyin
    Styler-FSG, Re:coil, CJCCCC lite & CIAB, Komaza CCP & CS, DB, BRHG, Joiwhip/gel, Ecostyler, Boots, SS, Gel-les'c, DMMCG, KCSS
    Too many others to list!
  • rymorg2rymorg2 Posts: 2,571Registered Users
    I got to try this very same protein treatment. It's INCREDIBLE! Yes, it's stronger than curl fix. I left it in only a few mins. (didn't have time for a full treatment, that's this weekend) and it made a huge difference in that short amount of time!

Glad to know this will probably be released in November. :D
    Cosmetology Educator with sensitivities, eczema and Seborrheic Dermatitis.
    Low poo: looking
    COWash: Eden, cheapo condish, CJDF
    RO: varies
    Protein: CJCF or CJRM
    DT: CJHBDF, CJCR, DBPC
    LI: varies, usually KCKT
    Stylers: KCCC, CRNCM, UFDCM, Curls gel, ecostyler

Lady Karaan, High Priestess of Hayr Tretements in the Order of Curly Crusaders
    Fotki updated 10/12/10 Password: wavy
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • nytiffynytiffy Posts: 73Registered Users
    Hi, I jus tbought some CJ
    and will be using it this weekend.

MY hair hates cocunut for some reason is it the
    protein?? \

your hair looks GREAT!!!
    3B/3C Fine
    Medium Porosity
    Loo-poo (Spring/ Summer) /No- poo(fall/ winter)
    Loo-poo Mastey Traite Cream Shampoo no SLS
    No-poo Aussie 3MM or VO5 Vanilla Tea
    Bi -racial :Black and Italian Yah!!
    Originally from Ithaca, NY
    Now Southern CA
    NYTiffy:wav:
    Thanks, ladies, for the kind compliments. I hope you love the tx like I and RyMorg did. :D

nytiffy, is it all proteins you have issues with? Maybe you just can't take a lot of protein, period. So, this wouldn't be for you (ie the protein tx). But lots of curlies do well with coconut oil (it protects protein in hair rather than being a strong protein tx if left on long enough). I think my fine hair just can't handle it, unless I plan to strongly poo it out. Which sort of defeats the purpose.

I don't like coconut oil on my hair only cause it weighs it down and I go limp for a few days. In winter, I may try the barest, scoshest scosh of it to seal.
    3a3b
    Natural since 11/25/09

Curl Junkie Conditions!

~CJ Protein Tx

I received a smidge of this.

I'm one week out from a cut/color/blowout. I did my first wash about 5 days out from that, and the curl still needs some recovery time, lol.

Now that I am a week out, I could give it some protein without a hideous amount of color loss.

I used the CJ on the front bits, and the Sally's Joico knock off on the rest.

The CJ seemed to penetrate better. It has a thinner feel than the Sally's, and it feels a bit like the Curl Rehab to me. It's one of those deceptively light feels. You think it's too light to do anything, but it sinks right in and does the job.

I did get good curl perk in the shower. The wet feels between the two after rinsing seem similar, but it was hard to tell since the hair had mixed together again after rinsing.

I'm gelled and waiting it for it to dry right now, so I'll see how it all looks later.

I really liked the scent, whatever it was, lol. I couldn't quite place it.

I'll report back after work tonight. But, I am interested in trying out the full shebang by going by how it felt in my hair.

It is deceptively strong. I put a lot in (the whole sample) and I didn't deep condition enough after, so my hair was not as soft as it could be.

Now, a spell later, after 5 days of no styler in my hair (liked the way it felt so much after my 1st no styler hair, I did it again yesterday...sooo crazy soft. I definitely have fine silk for hair hahahah). I slept with loose hair cause it felt so sensuous against my skin. I kept touching it all evening. I am so loving the feel of it now.

I do recommend a very good condish deep tx (Rehab) after the protein treatment. Because it's creamy (the prot tx), I didn't take it that seriously. It's serious, imo, so I didn't do justice to it by focusing on the condish after.

And doing the no styler days this week has shown me how my hair has progressed in 10 months. There is no doubt the dryness condition is improved, the texture is smoother, the frizz is reduced, and the whole look of the curl is prettier.

Nice to know. :D
    3a3b
    Natural since 11/25/09

Curl Junkie Conditions!

~CJ Protein Tx

• SaroyanSaroyan Posts: 398Registered Users
    I can't wait to try this PT! I need something stronger than the SS RPT, I think.
    2a, very fine, very thick, protein-loving, not especially porous. cg since july 2010.

cleanse: cj daily fix, vo5 vanilla mint tea
    condition: marie dean anything, db pumpkin seed, cj curl assurance, cj beauticurls
    style: cj beauticurls leave-in, cj curl queen, cj cccc lite, kccc, homemade fsg, db coconut & hibiscus oil, ecostyler
    treatments: ss repairing protein, ss deeply decadent
    techniques: icequeen, plopping, scrunching upside down, pixie diffusing
    It all turned out quite well, as well as the Joico knock-off would, though I like the feel of the CJ better. I find that it is worth a purchase for further testing! I do hope it isn't glycerin heavy, lol. Stupid red hair dye molecule size.

I know one front curl got a nice boost from it! It stayed in place pretty well too.

My hair looks much like it usually does, though still could use a bit more in to root. I'm not sure if that is still recovery time, or the cooler weather today reminding me that I shouldn't expect a summer curl pattern.

I never use a DT or anything else after a Joico PT. My hair feels fine, and I don't really need it. But, I never leave it on more than a few minutes anyway. I know I don't fit the standard practice that way, but, it seems to work for me.

I'm really looking forward to November!

• DEL2CDEL2C Posts: 6,418Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I never use a DT or anything else after a Joico PT. My hair feels fine, and I don't really need it. But, I never leave it on more than a few minutes anyway. I know I don't fit the standard practice that way, but, it seems to work for me.
    It certainly depends on the individual whether they need a DT afterwards. A lot of protein TX's have plenty of oils in them to combat the drying effect. This new PT was not drying on me at all in fact on Day 2 my hair was a bit too soft. I get overly dry with K-Pak, I blame too much keratin in that formulation for my hair. I didn't need a PT but I liked the perk it gave me on Day 1. I left it on for about 10mins which is what Marsha recommended. It's a super duty treatment that doesn't need to be left on for a long time and doesn't require a DT afterwards. That's a big plus and takes the burden out of doing PT's. LOL But, of course each individual will have to decide how their hair feels. :)
    Discovered CG 2007

2C Fia BSL/Thick/Med-Coarse/Low(crown)-Normal Porosity Protein and Oil Sensitive

Link-Spritz & Condish Washing:glasses7:

I'm aCurlJunkieJunky :love4:

My hair LOVES Coconut DESPISES Soap Bars :tongue6:

CJRehab or H&B Fix, Deva NO POO, EO Rose & Cham POO & Condish, CJ CurlFix, CJ Pattern Pusha, CJ CIAB, SS FHG, KCCC, BRHG, AG Mousse Gel, ACV Rinses,Shikakai Conditioning Hair Rinse.
    It could be because I only leave them on for a couple of minutes while I do other shower stuff.

This applies only to keratin based PTs though. Anything else is more long term straw. :lol:

Maybe the reason I needed more moisture (aside from the I'm porous like heck) is that I used a lot of it and left it on my head under a soft bonnet dryer for 20 mins. :D Could be. hhahhahahaha
    3a3b
    Natural since 11/25/09

Curl Junkie Conditions!

~CJ Protein Tx

• SpiralliSpiralli Posts: 3,677Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I totally want to buy this stuff when it's available. I hope you will post back with the name of the product when it's available. And I hope that CurlMart will stock it quickly once the product is available.
    Type: 3b/3c (i), below shoulder length.
    CO wash: A-O GPB LYY, Desert Essence Coconut, Oribe Silverati
    Leave-ins: Curl Junkie Beauti-Curls, KCKT, cno overnight
    Styling: BRHG, MGA Sculpting Gel, A-O Mandarin Magic Gel, LOTD AVG, LALSG, CJ Pattern Pusha
    DT: Curl Junkie Deep Fix, Briogeo Don't Despair Repair!
  • DEL2CDEL2C Posts: 6,418Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    MirCurls wrote: »
    Maybe the reason I needed more moisture (aside from the I'm porous like heck) is that I used a lot of it and left it on my head under a soft bonnet dryer for 20 mins. :D Could be. hhahhahahaha
    :book: hmmmmmmmmm

YUP maybe! LOL
    Discovered CG 2007

2C Fia BSL/Thick/Med-Coarse/Low(crown)-Normal Porosity Protein and Oil Sensitive

Link-Spritz & Condish Washing:glasses7:

I'm aCurlJunkieJunky :love4:

My hair LOVES Coconut DESPISES Soap Bars :tongue6:

CJRehab or H&B Fix, Deva NO POO, EO Rose & Cham POO & Condish, CJ CurlFix, CJ Pattern Pusha, CJ CIAB, SS FHG, KCCC, BRHG, AG Mousse Gel, ACV Rinses,Shikakai Conditioning Hair Rinse.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file