Solution for mild to sever dandruff

dailywavydailywavy Registered Users Posts: 249
I almost gave up going CG after a year and a half because I had dandruff that was getting pretty sever. Nothing I tried worked but I did find something! I thought I would share it with you since I have seen many others struggle and even give up on CG because of it. Plus it is not drying on your hair, or at least not mine.

Here goes-simple and easy and cheap

Combine the following ingredients:
2 Tbsp or so of Extra virgin olive oil
10-15 drops of tea tree oil
sugar-enough to make it so it is not runny and not super pasty, just so you can spread it on your scalp without it running all over.

Rub on your scalp and use the pads of your fingers to rub all over your scalp concentrating on the parts that are the most sever. Take about 2-3 minutes to do this. Then let it sit in your hair for 10-15 min. You don't need to let it rub through your whole hair, this is a scalp treatment.

To rinse out I put about 1/4 c. baking soda rubbed it around in my hair to help rinse out the oil. And rinsed.

Then shampooed with low poo (I used burts bees more moisture). I think I had to do it twice since I have finer hair and it gets over moisturized very easily. Or you can just do what you do to clarify it, using lemon juice or etc.

Then condition. And continue with regular routine. I had the softest shiniest dandruff free hair!

If you have any more dandruff just add a 5-10 drops of tea tree oil in your low poo and wash as normal. But let it sit on your scalp for 5 min.

*This also works for lice. But you will need to do the first recipe with the olive oil every day for a week. This will make sure the eggs are killed as well.
2b, 2c / f / ii / medium-high porosity
Vo5-never again, i now can plop!
CG since may 09, and hubby LOVES the new wavy 'tude!
:thumbleft:
products: CV SB, burt's bees more moisture conditioner, co-wash suave naturals coconut condish. FSG, shea hair butter, hair refresher

Comments

• IAgirlIAgirl Registered Users Posts: 2,540 Curl Neophyte
    Really glad this worked for you! I use tea tree oil when I wash sheets to help control (kill) dust mites because I'm allergic to them. It works well.
    You got all the dandruff squashers in your recipe -- exfoliant, antifungal/antiseptic, moisturizing. Great idea.
  • plunkybugplunkybug Registered Users Posts: 2,526
    You should incorporate an ACV rinse in there too, to help correct the ph balance from the baking soda...plus, ACV is supposed to be good for helping dandruff as well.

Lady Caiside, Noble Lushetarian and Wavy Wayfarer of Mugglswick, in the Order of the Curly Crusaders

2b-3a Fii, porous and low elasticity

Currently using a variety of products, and looking for that magic combo

Hair bio: http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/showpost.php?p=1252125&postcount=59

• porque_pigporque_pig Registered Users Posts: 238
    Thank you so much for these tips. I definitely intend to try out your recipe.

Where did you purchase your Tea Tree Oil?
    :batman: 2b/cFi, low density, normal porosity, high elasticity

Low-poo
    : Trader Joe's Tea Tree Tingle
    Conditioner
    : Suave Naturals (whatever scent I have on hand)
    Styling
    : Paul Mitchell Round Trip, Tresemme Climate Control Finishing Spray

I'm a hair minimalist: the less time I spend on my hair, the better.

• asianrunnerasianrunner Registered Users Posts: 2,251 Curl Neophyte
    I noticed that I had some flakes again this weekend (boooo!) but realized I hadn't cowashed in about a week. I cowashed on Sunday and there were less flakes so I decided to do a brown sugar scrub today. Flakes are nearly gone now!
    Coarse texture, normal-high porosity, normal elasticity (Komaza Care), very weak waves
    cleanser: Redken Fresh Curls Shampoo, CJ Daily Fix

rinse out: GVP Conditioning Balm, CJ Beauticurls, CJ Smoothing

jellies/creams: CR Curl Maker, KCCC
    gels: CJ CQ, CJ Pattern Pusha, BRHG

• dailywavydailywavy Registered Users Posts: 249
    hey thanks for adding the ACV rinse in there too, that is a great idea!

I just got the tea tree oil at my local nature store. Its just the cheap NOW brand. Nothing expensive.
    2b, 2c / f / ii / medium-high porosity
    Vo5-never again, i now can plop!
    CG since may 09, and hubby LOVES the new wavy 'tude!
    :thumbleft:
    products: CV SB, burt's bees more moisture conditioner, co-wash suave naturals coconut condish. FSG, shea hair butter, hair refresher
  • plunkybugplunkybug Registered Users Posts: 2,526
    dailywavy wrote: »
    hey thanks for adding the ACV rinse in there too, that is a great idea!

I just got the tea tree oil at my local nature store. Its just the cheap NOW brand. Nothing expensive.

No prob! You could even add some lavender EO to the ACV rinse and increase the scalp help properties. Also rosemary oil and nettles are good. You could probably whip up a killer ACV rinse.

Lady Caiside, Noble Lushetarian and Wavy Wayfarer of Mugglswick, in the Order of the Curly Crusaders

2b-3a Fii, porous and low elasticity

Currently using a variety of products, and looking for that magic combo

Hair bio: http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/showpost.php?p=1252125&postcount=59

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file