Hello! I'm new and so are my curls.

CurlScoutCurlScout Posts: 9Registered Users
And I'm LOST!

I'm in my late 20s. I had Ovarian cancer last summer and went through chemotherapy - and lost all of my (2a?) hair. It's been growing back now for about a year, and it's finally long enough for me to realize that it's coming in CURLY!

I'm completely new to having curly hair, and completely lost. I'm about to run out of my current product (Curls Rock Amplifier - creates stiffness and crunchiness, but great definition and hold). What I learned on my own is that I need to diffuse, and I need products! But which ones? Am I going to be stuck in an endless parade of buying and trying frustrating products? I wish I had the answers. I'm dabbling around the intro threads here and learning, I just wish there was a "starter kit". But I know it's not every day that curls sprout anew on someone!

From what I can tell, I have 3A (to 2 in some spots, like non-curling sideburns), very fine textured hair. The curls need some product to hold on to to form. Dirty is better, but flyaways common after a day if I don't use product to avoid the crunch.

I hope to learn a lot here! If anyone has any suggestions for some quick fixes while I'm in the learning period, please let me know, I could really use them!

Comments

• GretchenGretchen Administrator Posts: 10,840Moderators Curl Virtuoso
    I'm so sorry to hear about your illness, but glad to know you're on the mend!

You'll find lots of great info all over the site.
    You might want to start here.

Gretchen
    NaturallyCurly.com co-founder
    3A

You are beautiful!
  • xecarixecari Posts: 10Registered Users
    The "starter kit" is pretty much Lorraine Massey's Curly Girl book. You just need the CG method detailed there (and maybe try some plopping or other methods as well), some V05 conditioner, and an alcohol-free gel. I'm new to it and already have noticed a huge change in my hair....You should try that for a couple of months, see what curl type you're growing, and then ask in the forum of whatever hair type you have, what their favorite products are (or check the best of the best lists). :D
    A mix of 3b, 3a, and thick waves. Very low porosity. Medium- texture hair, but lots of it.

Co-wash: V05
    Conditioner: Garnier Fructis Triple Nutrition conditioner
    Current Stylers: Biotera Curl Creme and homemade Sea Salt Spray

Vegan. "The animals of the world exist for their own reasons. They were not made for humans any more than black people were made for white, or women created for men." -Alice Walker

Brasileira living in the U.S.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file