Callanetics

ShrekLoverShrekLover Registered Users Posts: 2,551 Curl Neophyte
Has anyone done this? This morning was my first time. I got a tape from Amazon because the reviewers were raving about how it changed their bodies in less than 2 weeks. It is a series of very slow stretches (that's the only way I can think to describe it). It is not easy and I definitely felt it in my stomach and butt. Has anyone else used this and if so how did it work?

Comments

• karyzmakaryzma Registered Users Posts: 158
    I have a book on it geared toward the back specifically. I've never done it consistently for any length of time but I can see some real benefits behind the concept. I need to find my book and start again.
    3A - shoulder length

Shampoo: Akamuti African Black Soap
    (every 3 days)

Daily Cond/Co-Wash: MopTop Daily Conditioner
    (daily rinse out fully)

Daily Leave-In: MopTop Leave-It In Conditioner
    (daily on wet hair in shower - not too much - before plopping)
    Styling: Paul Mitchell Extra Body Sculpting Foam
    (daily)

• mtcurlmtcurl Registered Users Posts: 11
    How funny! I just pulled out my old Callanetics tape yesterday for the first time in years. She's a bit weird, IMHO, but it is a great stretching and toning tape. I did it daily for several years, but find that I need more aerobics. Now I use Joyce Vedral's various weight workouts, plus aerobic trampoline and Kangoo Boot dancing/running/jumping. But I think I might add Callanetics once or twice a week for variety. I sure felt the stretch last night!
    2b/3a shoulder length hennaed curls
    CG off and on since March 2002
  • ShrekLoverShrekLover Registered Users Posts: 2,551 Curl Neophyte
    This morning was my third time. I think I will stick with it for awhile and see what it does. I can always go back to my "Firm" tapes.

She is defintely weird, but so far I like the workout.
  • TamrinTamrin Registered Users Posts: 43
    I've done Callanetics for fifteen years off and on. In my thirties, the Callanetics three times a week and a little walking were enough to keep me in great shape. I didn't need to do anything else. Now that I am in my forties, I've gained weight and also need some aerobics.

I have the book, and it tells about her life -- very interesting. She dropped out of college in the sixties and travelled all over the world for years...India, Africa, Japan, Hong Kong, Europe.
    Tamrin - Callanetics and some walking are what I am hoping will work too. I am not overweight I would just like to get my stomach a little flatter and round my butt. I do eat way too much junk and I bet if I cut that out I could achieve my goals. I really enjoy doing this so far, but unless I get another tape pretty soon I will probably get bored.
  • fakecurlzfakecurlz Registered Users Posts: 9
    I just bought the tape from Amazon on Saturday. It should get to my by next week sometime. I can't wait. The reviews are so high. I found the book at a used book store and read all about her life but figured I'd wait to try the exercises until I could see them to make sure I get the right form. I am actually excited about this exercise. All of my extra weight is located in my saddlebags, butt, thighs and a bit in my stomach. I just wish the Callanetics video came on DVD.

I heard that there was an update to Callanetics in 1996 called Spiral Dynamics and a Callanetics studio in the bay area of California will be coming out with an updated video. I wish there was a studio in my area. I’m searching for one.

For cardiovascular, I will use the Walk Away the Pounds videos which I love. I just bought the Walk Away the Pounds for Abs to give me variety.

Good luck to all. Keep us and I'll keep you up to date on progress when I get the video. icon_smile.gif
    fakecurlz - after about 2 weeks I am seeing real changes in my stomach and waist. More than I saw in over a year of The Firm. I'll be interested in what you think.
  • hnyhpshnyhps Registered Users Posts: 134
    buying the tape today.
    3b
    Carlos and Carmen Vidal just had a child
    A lovely girl with a crooked smile
    Now they gotta split 'cause the Bronx ain't fit
    For a kid to grow up in
    Let's find a place they say, somewhere far away
    I received the tape on Thursday and was so excited I did it that night. I measured myself before, after and after on Friday when I did the video again. I now can't find my tape measure and I did the video on Saturday, Monday and this morning (Tuesday). I am going to go and buy another tape measure so I can see if I lost any inches. I have not changed my eating habits so I get a true look at what Callanetics does. I already feel a difference in my muscle tone in my legs and they are definitely stronger. I'll let you all know how many inches I've lost after 6 sessions/hours (I will measure after tomorrow and post tomorrow).
    I have the original Callanetics video and I also have the book with the same cover (10 years younger in 10 hours) and there are more exercises in the book. Anyone noticed? I read that the Super Callanetics has the extra exercises but is more advanced. I am looking forward to working my way up to that video. During that time I'll search for it at garage sales, unless anyone has it and they want to part with it? icon_biggrin.gif
    BTW, the hip exercises KILL me. Those are the ones I want to make sure I do right because that is where I carry my weight.
    Good luck! icon_smile.gif
    fakecurlz - I am doing the AM/PM Callanetics. Only 20 minutes in the morning and 20 in the evening. I read on Amazon that it has most of the exercises of the original video. I plan to get the Super Callanetics evntually too. I think you can get it from Amazon. They have it listed anyway.

I love the "bringing up the rear" type exercises. I'm hoping those make my butt look rounder. I'm feeling soreness in my abs now and I didn't at first, I can tell they are really working.

I'll be interested in your progress.
  • IlluvielIlluviel Registered Users Posts: 1
    I did Callanetics rather consistently after my younger son was born, and I credit her workout for my being in the best shape of my life then. The intense stretching/toning exercises were also wonderful for keeping my FMS in line; I could tell when I'd skipped too many days' worth of exercises by how 'crunchy' I felt. After checking out books and tapes from the library, I purchased a copy of the basic tape and may have worn it out by now.

The "Super Callanetics" tape takes the advanced exercises shown by some of the class members in the regular tape to a more challenging level, adding in some more extreme stretches, but done in such a gentle way that you're sitting in a split before you've noticed what she's finagled you into doing.

I've since tried yoga and Pilates, but neither of those have quite the same benefit for me, though I do enjoy doing yoga as a supplementary exercise ... I need all the stretching I can get.

When I restart an exercise program next week, I'll definitely be blowing the dust off my "Callanetics tape", and am on my way to Amazon.com to look up "Super Callanetics".

[ April 08, 2003: Message edited by: Kt ]
    3A mother newly returned to CG of 3A daughter with modified CG since 12/2002.
    kt - what's FMS?

I think we should all keep each other informed on how we are doing.

hnyhps - Love your sig line!
  • suzwiththreezssuzwiththreezs Registered Users Posts: 2
    After reading this thread yesterday, I am dying to try this out. I searched my Borders today, but no Callanetics tapes were there. Are there any other stores that might carry this? I know the easiest way is to order it online, but my mom's not a big fan of that.
    Also, are there any websites that give instructions on it?

TIA
    Mostly 3a with a bit of 3b
    suzwiththreezs - I don't know of any places you can buy it. I would check out Wal Mart and Target, unfortunately these are old so they might be hard to find if you can't get them online. Even the Super Callanetics that I want next has a warning from Amazon that it is out of print and they might not be able to get it.
  • hnyhpshnyhps Registered Users Posts: 134
    Sdcurly thanks!
    3b
    Carlos and Carmen Vidal just had a child
    A lovely girl with a crooked smile
    Now they gotta split 'cause the Bronx ain't fit
    For a kid to grow up in
    Let's find a place they say, somewhere far away
    OK, I have been SOOOO busy at work that I have not been able to post, but I will now.
    I took my measurements yesterday morning after my 1 hour program (which when fast forwarding through the repeated instructions and pics is only around 40-45 min) and I had lost 5 inches total from my upper waist, waist, hips and thighs after 7 sessions. I was quite shocked.
    I didn't do the abdominal exercises this morning because I'm feeling nauseous and thinking (hoping) that I might be pregnant and she advises not to do them in the first trimester (I can feel why). My point is that my measurements were a bit bigger than yesterday in the abdominal area due to this.
    I noticed when doing the stretches that my calves are definitely solid, whereas before they were eeeh. My thighs (that is my biggest area, literally) are getting better too.
    Today I did the extra exercises from the book. They are kneeling and doing the behind/hip exercises and a great one, the Open/Close. Ouch! If you have the book, I recommend doing these. I don't quite understand one of the stretches in the book though.

There is a review on epinions about this tape, but I still think that you need to see it to get the right form. http://www.epinions.com/content_14564757124
    Keep up posted and I will too. icon_biggrin.gif
    fakecurlz - that is AWESOME!

I don't use a tape measure, but I am sure Ihaven't done that well. I go by my clothes. Ihave a dress that I bought in 1989 that has a very tight fitted waist. I haven't been able to wear it for 3 years. I can now, it's not completely comfortable but at least I could wear it if I wanted too. I love putting my hands on my stomach and feeling how much smaller it is than it used to be.

Those exercises you mentioned from the book are part of the AM/PM routine.

Congrats on the possible pregnancy. Let us know.
  • M2LRM2LR Registered Users Posts: 8,630 Curl Connoisseur
    I bought this tape last week too, but unfortunately, I haven't had a chance to start it yet. Reading all of these posts is getting me motivated to try. I like the fact that it's just 20 minutes in the AM and 20 minutes in the PM...doing an hour all at once(like the Firm) is very hard with an 8 month old. This way, I can add walking and stuff too.
    What is the book called that you are all talking about? I would be interested looking at that too.
    Thanks!!!
    :rambo:
  • LovinCurlLovinCurl Registered Users Posts: 5
    I just order the tape. I had one more question. What happens if you are overweight, like by 45lbs. I thought I read somewhere you have to do the stretches correctly or it won't work? I have a tough time with walks lately so I'm hoping this will help me lose weight as well. What do you think? I can say now being the most out of shape possible that I won't be doing the stretches like her, or even close if they are so hard to do! Thanks! icon_smile.gif
    I don't have the book, but I believe it is called "Callanetics Look 10 Years Younger in 10 Hours". You can probably get it from Amazon. I keep thinking I should order it just for more clarity.

As far as being overweight goes, I saw testimonials on Amazon that were a couple of people said they dropped signficantly in dress size like from 16 to 6 in a matter of months.

Here's a link, scroll down to read the reviews.
    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/6302534364/qid%3D1050174028/sr%3D11-1/ref%3Dsr%5F11%5F1/104-6218653-0864727#product-details

I am not limber and I can't come anywhere near what Callan does for the strectches on some of them, but that's ok. She encourages you to do what you can and says that your muscles will stretch when ready.
  • Sweetie83Sweetie83 Registered Users Posts: 110
    Okay, okay...
    You guys have all convinced me to buy the tapes! I went to Amazon and bought both "AM/PM" and "Super Callanetics."
    I've been using the Firm (with the fanny lifter) but frankly, I find them too rigorous with minimal results. Plus, I'm more likely to stick with something that I can do in 20 minutes during the week. I can use the Super Callanetics on the weekends. Can't wait! icon_razz.gif
    Hair Type: 3c/4a

"I love to see a young girl go out and grab the world by the lapels. Life's a b****. You've got to go out and kick a$$." Maya Angelou
    I think I may have figured out what causes strain on the neck. I noticed this morning that I was starting to feel some strain and I also noticed that my shoulders were tense. As soon as I relaxed them the strain went away.
    I didn't feel like working out tonight but I figured I could do 20 minutes and it went by really fast!

I am getting stronger, I can tell a big difference in some of the exercises in stamina from when I started. I have overeaten the last 2 nights and my stomach seems a little more poochy today than it did yesterday.
    Yes, the book is called Callanetics, look 10 years younger in 10 hours. I actually found it at a used book store. It is out of print so if you can find it at a garage sale, used book store or even ebay then I would recommend it. It is VERY detailed with the instructions, and like I said before, there are a few that aren't on the regular video.

I recommend taking measurements and before and after pics like they do so you know how you are progressing.

You aren't going to believe this, but I found Quick Callanetics: Hips and Behind at a thrift store yesterday for $1. I zoomed through watching it last night just to see how different it was. The extra hip exercises are on the video, but the runtime is only about 16 minutes. There are only about 3 warm ups, 4 exercises and a final stretch.

Can someone explain the exercises in the AM/PM tape? I might have to get that one to switch off with.

I actually did my Leslie Sansone Walk Away the Pounds DVD for the first time this morning (got the Abs one for a early birthday gift from my hubby) and it is GREAT! I am SO uncoordinated but I can actually do these videos. I LOVE them too.

I'll keep you all posted on the baby situations too since I went to the Dr for a blood test. Now I'm just waiting...waiting...waiting... for the results. icon_biggrin.gif
    fakecurlz - Do you mean you want a description of every exercise? I'm not sure what to tell you. There are stomach, butt/thigh, inner thigh, back of arm and neck exercises, plus some general strectches. I read somewhere on Amazon that AM/PM is almost the same as the original, just a few less exercises with some slight improvement in technique
    and of course, broken into 2 sessions. I can't vouch for that though.

Can I ask you if the book tells what the neck exercises are for? I always want to skip them, but that is because I don't know what benefit I am getting from them.

How much longer till you know if you are PG?
  • emmalineemmaline Registered Users Posts: 11
    I borrowed the regular hour-long Callanetics tape from the public library earlier this week. I've done it a few times since then and I really like it, so I think I'm going to buy it. I'm thinking of getting both the AM/PM tape and the regular tape. I'd have a much easier time fitting the AM/PM tape into my schedule on weekdays, but on weekends I'd probably rather do the whole thing at once. So would getting both tapes be a waste of my money or does it sound like a good idea? If I'm going to get both, I'd like to get them at the same time so I can get free shipping! TIA
    emmaline - From what I have read on Amazon the two tapes are very similar (see my post above yours). I don't know for sure if that is true or not. But that might be ok, you would just be doing what you are familiar with on the weekends in a different sequence. I sometimes do both the AM and PM at the same time but they do have two exercises that are the same.
    I have not done Callanetics for about a week since I found out I WAS pregnant. WAS is the operative word. Just wasn't meant to be. Therefore, I can't get back into exercising for a bit so I get to sleep in for a while.

Anyway, I just wanted to know what the difference was between the original and the AM/PM. If you go to the link that I put from epinions then you will see all the exercises that are on the original and wanted to know if the AM/PM would be good to get also. I'm pretty sure that more exercises are in the original so I'll stick to that one.

Oh I also wanted to mention that the original is from 1986 and the Quick was from 1991 and BOY can you tell the difference in how the tape is. It doesn't really matter to me. I actually was following the book with the extra exercises once I got the form down from the video and played soft music instead of the video. I think that is one of the main reason for getting the video-PROPER FORM. That is a really important thing with this exercise program.
    fakecurlz - I'm sorry about the baby.

You don't need the AM/PM. Every exercise on it is on the original Callanetics except AM/PM has one different leg exercise, but the original tape leg exercises 2, 3, and 4 are not on the AM/PM.

I'm very thrilled with my results. My stomach is still shrinking.
    Thank you for your concern.

Good I wasn't sure if there were more exercises on the AM/PM or not. Now I know I don't need that one. I have to get back into the swing of things and start exercising again. Plus I need to eat healthy again. Kinda went on a downward spiral after everything happened on Easter. Can I just say that candy is yummy but NOT the answer. I wish I had willpower with junkfood in sight.

When I get back into it and start over again I'll let you all know how I do.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file