I grow Flax, but it isn't 'Golden'.

Linum lewisii...I have several growing in my prairie bed and I have at least a few in other beds throughout the yard for about a total of 25 or so plants. Each plant produces upwards of 200+ seed and I've been thinking about making some FSG, but not sure if this species would work the same. It IS still an edible species...just not 'Golden'. The seed is actually dark brown and several are held within a seed pod. If I could use these just as well I wouldn't mind saving my money!!
Whadd'ya think...should I give it a go tonight?

http://montana.plant-life.org/species/linum_lewis.htm

Comments

• missbanjomissbanjo Registered Users Posts: 3,088 Curl Neophyte
    I'd do it! The ones I get are grown locally and are just a shiny brown, they work just fine. Our wild flax is the Linum perenne which doesn't seem much different than yours.

Edit: Duh, just looked on your link, it is the same ones!
    Southern Colorado Curly
    Mix of 2s med-low porosity, med-fine texture, lots of hair
  • Vera_ewashVera_ewash Registered Users Posts: 32
    Perfect! Actually the flax I grow is specifically Linum perenne var. lewisii :)
    Blue_Flax_no2.jpg
  • missbanjomissbanjo Registered Users Posts: 3,088 Curl Neophyte
    Good luck! I'm trying to get some more flax in our flower beds. The wild seeds haven't made it up to our place so I'm sewing them slowly. We had one plant that was awesome for 4 years but this year it just didn't do anything.
    Southern Colorado Curly
    Mix of 2s med-low porosity, med-fine texture, lots of hair
  • taltaltaltal Registered Users Posts: 614
    You can use the brown seeds just the same. The linseed I eat and use for making gel is brown.
    By the way, linseed is very cheap so it won't save much money, but it's nice using something from your garden.
    Vera_ewash wrote: »
    Linum lewisii...I have several growing in my prairie bed and I have at least a few in other beds throughout the yard for about a total of 25 or so plants. Each plant produces upwards of 200+ seed and I've been thinking about making some FSG, but not sure if this species would work the same. It IS still an edible species...just not 'Golden'. The seed is actually dark brown and several are held within a seed pod. If I could use these just as well I wouldn't mind saving my money!!
    Whadd'ya think...should I give it a go tonight?

http://montana.plant-life.org/species/linum_lewis.htm

Plenty cheap enuff for me when I don't have to order or drive 60 miles round trip to get it lol!
    Anyhoo, I went out and harvested my seeds, but I'm a little slower extracting and separating them from the chaff!! Not to mention, I have about 100 other species of plant seed to clean, package, label and have ready for seed trading this season...whew!
    I'm hoping to get my first batch down this weekend.
    Well shoot....I just broke down and decided to go ahead and order the Flax seed while I was ordering some oils and AVG. I was in the process of cleaning up my seeds, but it was just too dang hard getting them completely clean of all of the chaff. Oh well all is still good since I can still use them for seed trading.
    Ok I rec'd my order yesterday and am currently getting everything together to make my first batch using BB's method yet using the original proportion of seed/water. For the first batch I was just going to try it as is with no additions, but I'm not gonna lol! I'll be adding some AVG, Avocado/Olive oils, and a little epsom salts.
    So excited!
    OK ladies, I did it!

I remembered I had made an herb infused water last week to be used in place of the water...so I used 2 c. of this with 1/4 t. Epsom Salts added. My water was infused with herbs I harvested from my garden....Lavender (Lavendula angustifolia 'Vera'... buds and seed), Thyme (Thymus vulgaris 'German Winter'), Sage (Salvia officinalis), Catmint (Nepeta mussinii) and Calendula flowers (Calendula officinalis var. nana).
    I brought 1/4c. seeds to a boil and (the film/foam started just about 5 seconds before reaching a boil) at which point I turned the heat down to 5 and continued to cook and stir 5 minutes longer. I gave it one last stir with the whisk and strained using my vintage metal funnel colander with stand into a glass bowl. It was still pretty thin when I removed it from the heat.....although it was at the consistency of thin egg whites so when I first poured it through I received a good 12 ounce of end product. I then used the wooden pestle (comes with the funnel) to squeeze out the rest from the seed. All total, I ended up with about 14 total ounces!
    To this I added:

3 Tbsp. AVG
    1/2 t. Avocado oil
    1/2 t. Evoo
    1/2 t. Rosemary EO

All I had available were 2oz plastic jars and I filled 4 of these and poured the rest into a spray bottle. Hoping they would thicken a bit more, I put in the fridge to finish cooling. YEAH! The end result is a perfect texture....a tad thinner than the Lily of the Desert AVG!!
    Thanks BB for the detailed instructions....you're great! I will be using this tomorrow and will update :)

PS. Just to give the gel a quick test, I wet down a section of my bangs and applied a little gel. It dried in about 10 minutes and if tomorrow I get the same results....WOW will sum it up just right LOL!
  • abstractcurlsabstractcurls Registered Users Posts: 380
    I used brown seeds before I tried golden. I think it makes a slightly thicker gel.
    Well I didn't reply right away as I had planned. The next evening the computer quit working so got a rebuilt one from a friend and then I had to transfer a bunch of stuff from the old hard drive over to the new one. fun stuff lol!
    Anyways...this stuff is the business!! My hair is curly to begin with, but with the addition of the epsom salts now my curls really pop and best of all they dry soft and there is absolutely no frizz!! I could hardly keep my hands out of my hair lol!
    The night before last I made my first batch of Shealoe w/oils, co-washed, parted the hair in several sections and twisted and applied the Shealoe, re-twisted and then I went and applied the FSG as I split up the larger twists into smaller twists. The next day before taking them down, I applied just a dab of the Shealoe to the ends. I've done some pretty nice twist outs before with plain raw shea butter, but this twist-out was exceptionally perfect! It is now day two of my twist-out and it is still nicely moisturized and defined. Finally I believe I've found my HG!! Thanks :)
    Didn't get a pic of the twist-out, but here is my wash-n-go with just the FSG....I applied Giovanni Weightless Moisture DLI first and slathered on the FSG. Look Ma..no frizz :)

PS. This month is my 1 year anniversary post relaxer!

Oct_2010007.jpg

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file