Do you have a pooch?

twirlyredtwirlyred Registered Users Posts: 9
Yup, I have the same problem icon_rolleyes.gif I am by no means an expert on the issue but I know that it is a bodyfat thing. It's a matter of having muscle there, but it is covered by a layer of fat and until that is completely burned off, there will always be a "fluffy" layer of "pooch". Unfortunately (sp?) for us women, our tummies is one of the first places to store fat and the last to lose it. I know that's not alot of practical help, but that's the reason behind it anyway....
Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut that stood its ground.

My Border Collie is smarter than your honor student.

Comments

• asiancurlsasiancurls Registered Users Posts: 3
    To those of you who work out your abs like crazy in hopes of getting a flat stomach, do you find that you always seem to have that little bitty pooch that does not go away.

I mean like when you sit down, your belly is kind of hanging out over your pants. I want the ripple effect when i sit down. If i sit, i have this pooch thats there, when i stand up its gone and my tummy is flat again.
    What the heck....doesn't it go away?

I just needed to see if anyone else had a pooch icon_rolleyes.gif
    *There are no endings........Only New Beginnings*
  • LinseyLinsey Registered Users Posts: 3
    I have that problem too. I am trying to come to terms with it. icon_biggrin.gif
  • DeCurloDeCurlo Registered Users Posts: 28
    I definately have the pooch! It annoys me.
  • NoodlesNoodles Registered Users Posts: 1
    I have the pouch too!! It is so annoying. It never goes away, no matter how many sit-ups or crunches I do. I heard that it is hereditary too. But you are not alone asiancurls!!
    ~To the world you might be one person, but to one person you might be the world.
  • new2curlsnew2curls Registered Users Posts: 10
    I can't get rid of the pooch unless I get way too thin. I'll feel good cuz my stomach is flat but then I have people telling me I look unhealthy cuz I'm too thin. I really believe it's genetics. I'm considering liposuction.
  • JosephineJosephine Registered Users Posts: 14,408 Curl Connoisseur
    I have it. I think it's cute. I just need to get rid of the lovehandles.
  • zmanzzzzzmanzzzz Banned Banned Users Posts: 3,826
    it is called a f.u.p. - fat upper puzsy.

HTH!!!
  • abeautifulbrownabeautifulbrown Registered Users Posts: 73
    lol. I used to have that problem. The problem is that women believe it's a matter of losing weight so they diet and do all these aerobic workouts which are not the answer.

strength training will do away with it in a couple of months depening on just how dedicated you are.

I can post my wellness program if anyone's interested. :)
  • luvmylocsluvmylocs Registered Users Posts: 7,578 Curl Neophyte
    please post certifiablyfly
    a dreamy pisces :fish:
    please recycle, it matters...
    i change lives...through fitness
    i'm more relaxed being natural
    certfiablyfly's Wellness Program

Stage One: Beginning Program of Circular Training

· A four to six week exercise program
    · A three day workout split with one rest day between each workout day
    · To be followed along with a proper nutritional diet

Day 1: Emphasis on upper body and cardio

Warm Up – Head Circles 10, Arm Circles 15, Leg Extensions 15
    Back – Dead Lifts 3x12, Prone Back Extension 3x15
    Shoulders – Shoulder Rotation 3x12, Lateral Raises 3x15
    Biceps – Standing Dumbell Curls 4x20
    Triceps – Push-ups 4x15
    Abdominal – Ball Crunch, Ball Twists, Scissor Kicks, Leg Lifts 3x20 for all
    Cardio – 20 min. Run

Day 2: Emphasis on lower body and cardio

Quads – Squats 4x15, Lunges 4x15, Knee Extension 4x15
    Hamstrings – Leg Curls 4x15
    Calves – Standing Calf Raise 3x15, Seated Calve Raises 3x15
    Abdominal – Hip Roll, Standing Rotation, Floor Crunch 3x20 for all
    Cardio – 25 min. Run

Day 3: Core body emphasis and cardio

Back – Hip Flexor Stretch 4x20, Knee--to-Chest Stretch 3x15, Hip Rotator Stretch 3x15
    Abdominal – Seated Knee Tucks, Supermans, Twisting Sit-ups 4x20 for all
    Cardio – 30 min. Run

keep in mind working out all these different areas also affect your abdominals so please make sure to squeeze and place some focus on them while you do the various excercises.

your 'pooch' will be gone and you'll be in better shape all together ;)
  • luvmylocsluvmylocs Registered Users Posts: 7,578 Curl Neophyte
    thanks!! pretty similar exercises to what i do. i do a 4 day lifting program... day 1 - back/biceps, day 2 - chest/triceps, day 3 - shoulders/extra ab work, day 4 - legs (can be done in any order). i also lift heavier weights so i do about 12 reps max. i do pyramids for some exercises....like reverse close grip pulldowns because my ultimate goal is to be able to do an unassisted pull up...i need to do more push ups....that's something i don't do very much. i love doing shoulder exercises...having nice shoulders is a big plus.

i just read an article about ab exercises that emphasized twists and rotations for the ab area....my waist is getting slimmer!! people would be surprised how many weight bearing exercises work different parts of your abs.

i agree....weights are the key for losing the infamous pooch!!
    a dreamy pisces :fish:
    please recycle, it matters...
    i change lives...through fitness
    i'm more relaxed being natural
  • MunchyMunchy Registered Users Posts: 5,206 Curl Novice
    LOL! We call it something similar zmanzzzz - F.U.P.A. = fat upper puszy area. Sometimes we switch it up and call it Gunt (mixture of gut and c*nt)
    most of my exercises don't involve a machine because there's not a gym near me and I don't have equip ;)
  • cheleskilovecheleskilove Registered Users Posts: 79
    Well, I've worked out straight for 5 years now. Even became certified.Used to obsess over my abs. I learned, the hard way, that mine is loose skin. I grew enormously during my 1st pregnancy(60lbs) and have stretch marks.I was almost anorexic and pooch still there. I became a personal trainer.pooch still there.

I dont like it,but with the right girdled underpants,it stays in place.

The moral to the story,some of us will have to accept it.Some may loose it.But you have to be consistent and go through the pain to find out.
    IN HIM

Michele

transition journey began 3/04
    chemical free journey began 1/05 with BC AT 2-4 INCHES
    as of August 6-10inches..making progress
  • criscatcriscat BrazilRegistered Users Posts: 355
    I used to have one, and I'm thin.
    Got a liposuction, it was the best thing I ever did!
    :glasses8:
  • Auburn SunsetAuburn Sunset Little Rock, ARRegistered Users Posts: 160
    I have one but I'm working hard to get it off. I can't call it baby fat anymore since my kids at 11 and 7.
    http://members.fotki.com/auburnsunset/

:flower:Happy to be 3B, 3C & 4A
    My Fav's
    Nakia Amour Products
  • ninja dogninja dog Registered Users Posts: 23,780 Curl Neophyte
    Geez, and I thought this thread was going to be about dogs!

I love dogs.

I don't love my fat tummy, though.:laughing7:
  • SystemSystem Posts: 39,060 Administrator
    I don't have a pooch and never have. My thighs/butt are where I carry my excess fat.

Crunches will not get rid of belly fat. The only thing that will reduce bodyfat is cardio and it will reduce all over (no such thing as spot reducing). Crunches will build up stomach muscles and cardio will reduce your fat and give you a more sleek midsection.

Speckla
  • Mass1gBewegtMass1gBewegt NJ.Registered Users Posts: 113
    I have a pooch generally, but my stomach is the first place I lose weight. I lose weight ins ummer and I'll have no stomach and everyone will be like "oh you're so skinny" and I'll immediatly direct their attention to my thighs.
    Band Geek to the Core.
    Geometry Ain't My Thing. XD

http://public.fotki.com/MagicMarkers92/
    Pass: Qtip
  • SystemSystem Posts: 39,060 Administrator
    I have a pooch generally, but my stomach is the first place I lose weight. I lose weight ins ummer and I'll have no stomach and everyone will be like "oh you're so skinny" and I'll immediatly direct their attention to my thighs.

Just say, "Thank you." Don't make a negative comment!

Speckla
  • VIVIDCURLSVIVIDCURLS Registered Users Posts: 61
    I have a pooch, :blob7:but when i eat more protein it slims down quite a bit, not sure why that happens though.
  • cunninghamaircunninghamair Registered Users Posts: 178 Curl Connoisseur
    Speckla is correct--cardio is the only way to reduce body fat--you cannot spot reduce. Crunches may help firm the area, but won't fix the problem altogether. Another thought, I always have had a pooch--recently a cousin was diagnosed with Celiac (unable to digest gluten/auto immune disease). When I gave up gluten, my stop slimmed down quite a bit--turned out I was just bloated all these years! Didn't completely solve the problem, but a welcome change.
    Modified CG since 9/03. 2B/3A. JESSICURL!!! Gentle Poo, Aloeba, Gelebration, Awe; or Mop Top Poo & Condish; Curlisto Mousse & Gel I. Winter: Elucence MB Clarify, Shampoo & Conditioner. ACV & honey rinses. Plop & Pixiecurl diffuse. Password: curls
  • Melanie_LinnMelanie_Linn Registered Users Posts: 457
    i have one but its not big so i dont mind it. i still hour glassed in my cloths so i cant complain.
    3c/4aMCiii normal/low porosity med elasticty

Shampoo- JC Hydrating Invigorating poo, Alaffia Shea & Virgin Coconut Enriching Shampoo, CV poo bars
    Rinse out- Natures gate hemp, GSAS
    Leave in- GDLI, Beautiful Curls Curl Activating Leave in
    DT- Still working on that
    Styler- Ecostyler Crystal, Queen Helene Royal Curl Creme
    Sealer- castor, Shea butter,jojoba oil

I don't know how well I'll keep it up, my blog The Lions Mane
  • xcptnlxcptnl Central MassachusettsRegistered Users Posts: 15,678 Curl Connoisseur
    Munchy wrote: »
    LOL! We call it something similar zmanzzzz - F.U.P.A. = fat upper puszy area. Sometimes we switch it up and call it Gunt (mixture of gut and c*nt)

Yep - that's what we call it too! Naaaasssty! But I wouldn't call a little flabby belly that - we use it when there is serious over hang if you know what I mean. I hope no one takes offense.
    Central Massachusetts

One good reason to only maintain a small circle of friends is that three out of four murders are committed by people who know the victim. ~George Carlin~

In regards to Vagazzling: They just want to get into the goods without worrying about getting scratched up by fake crystals. ~spring1onu~
  • redcelticcurlsredcelticcurls PittsburghRegistered Users Posts: 17,502 Curl Neophyte
    Even when I'm slender I have that. Now it's a pooch, starts just below my navel, but not enough to be a genuine fupa.

Belly dancing really helped with this. It didn't change my pooch, but it sure changed how I feel about it. i prefer to watch a dancer with a pooch than with pefectly flat hard abs. it makes the dance look better to me.
    Kiva! Microfinance works.

Med/Coarse, porous curly.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file