needs a moisturiser that wont dry out my hair!

Tiffany 206Tiffany 206 Registered Users Posts: 6
Help I need a moisturizer that wont dry out my hair! I have however made my own with shea butter and jojoba oil and im gonna get some coconut . My hair seems to like oils better. hmmm.. I may be on to something.

Comments

• Lovelylauz02Lovelylauz02 Registered Users Posts: 10
    I too had problems with moisture and my hair. They seemed to be enemies until I read about people leaving a little of their co-wash conditioner in their hair, then adding a leave in, lotion water based moisturizer and sealing with a good oil (coconut or olive)- I highly suggest coconut oil as a sealant and to use on your scalp since it absorbs into the hair shaft and moisturizes from the inside of the hair.

Layering all these things has helped my hair tremendously. Remember the key is to keep the water in your hair as much as possible. And stay away from heat styling as much as possible.

There are other many well informed women on here who I gather my methods from and I am sure you will benefit from them as well.

HHG and remember, your hair is your own, what works for one person won't always work for all. Listen to your hair, it will tell you what works and doesn't work for it.8)
    4a- maybe, definitely tight coils underneath the relaxed hair
    Last relaxer: June 2010 :toothy7:
    Long-term transition planned with BC in late May or early June

Co Wash- Suave coconut or Giovanni 50/50
    Poo- (maybe once a week) Giovanni SAS or 50/50
    DC- Still looking
    Oils- vatika, EVCO, EVOO, Jojoba, Castor, NEEM (If you don't know, please check it out, it's a miracle oil), Vitamin E...
  • A_Klass_ActA_Klass_Act Registered Users Posts: 56
    And remember that oils alone do not moisturize your hair, as oils act as a sealant to seal IN the moisture. As Lovely said -- you can leave a bit of conditioner in your hair after your final rinse and use an oil and/or shea butter to seal in the moisture. I absolutely LOVE coconut oil or whipped shea butter with coconut oil -- which I use to seal in leave-in conditioner. To moisturize dry (non-wet) hair, I use Qhemet Biologics Burdock Root Butter Cream, which is a lightweight water-based moisturizer.

HTH!
    Hair properties: Low porosity/fine strands Poo: CJDF, SM Moisture Retention RO Condish: Tresemme Naturals Deep Condish: JCWDT, CJHBDF LI: CJSL Moisturizer/Styler: Curls Souffle, KCCC Extras: Cassia, Bentonite & Rhassoul Clay, Shea butter mix, Cocoa butter mix, Castor oil
  • Tiffany 206Tiffany 206 Registered Users Posts: 6
    I too had problems with moisture and my hair. They seemed to be enemies until I read about people leaving a little of their co-wash conditioner in their hair, then adding a leave in, lotion water based moisturizer and sealing with a good oil (coconut or olive)- I highly suggest coconut oil as a sealant and to use on your scalp since it absorbs into the hair shaft and moisturizes from the inside of the hair.

Layering all these things has helped my hair tremendously. Remember the key is to keep the water in your hair as much as possible. And stay away from heat styling as much as possible.

There are other many well informed women on here who I gather my methods from and I am sure you will benefit from them as well.

HHG and remember, your hair is your own, what works for one person won't always work for all. Listen to your hair, it will tell you what works and doesn't work for it.8)

Thank you both for the info. I have been transitioning for 3 months now and since it's gonna start to get cold. and im trying to find a way to moisturize my hair when it's dry. I"ll get sick being outside working with wet hair.
  • A_Klass_ActA_Klass_Act Registered Users Posts: 56

Thank you both for the info. I have been transitioning for 3 months now and since it's gonna start to get cold. and im trying to find a way to moisturize my hair when it's dry. I"ll get sick being outside working with wet hair.

No problem! I'm 5 months post, so I completely understand the need for a good moisturizer. My hair is on the fine/medium side, so the Qhemet's Burdock Root Butter Cream moisturizes my hair, but doesn't weigh it down. Another good one (from what I hear) is KBB [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Carols-Daughter-Hair-Milk-p-1032.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=Carol's-Daughter-Hair-Milk]Hair Milk (now called Sweet Ambrosia)[/buylink]... Haven't personally tried it yet, but all indication point to this as being a GREAT moisturizer. (I plan on ordering this next)

Best wishes on your natural hair journey!
    Hair properties: Low porosity/fine strands Poo: CJDF, SM Moisture Retention RO Condish: Tresemme Naturals Deep Condish: JCWDT, CJHBDF LI: CJSL Moisturizer/Styler: Curls Souffle, KCCC Extras: Cassia, Bentonite & Rhassoul Clay, Shea butter mix, Cocoa butter mix, Castor oil

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file