Do you throw your kids' toys away?

spiderlashes5000spiderlashes5000 Posts: 17,898Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
My kids have entirely too many toys. The vast majority is stuff they no longer play w/ or even remember exists (packed into toy chests they never open or stored in boxes in the attic and garage). I'm getting really tired of looking at it but what am I supposed to do w/ it? Just throw it in the trash? I have no problem letting them keep cute, well-maintained stuffed animals/dolls, balls that still bounce, nice cars that still run, books of course and art supplies.

But I'm up to my eyeballs in like random blocks, lost pieces to games, naked dolls w/ missing heads/eyes/limbs, animals stained w/ dried food, Barbies w/ matted hair, clothing that doesn't seem to belong to any doll I can find, cheap little action figues and kewpie type dolls, play jewelry, those battery-operated beeping, ringing squeeking games that I HATE, messy items like ink pads/paint pens/PlayDoh/bubbles/stickers, girl tricycles/bigwheels, etc. Other than the bikes and electronic games, I wouldn't really consider donating any of that stuff to charity (would you...a broken doll or mismatched pieces from games?)

The worst are things that were gifts I specifically remember them getting from loved ones that they don't seem to want anymore or things I bought them as part of a theme they were once into but have since lost interest in. Do I just pitch them despite the sentimental value?

I have asked my mother not to send them any more of this stuff but she sends it anyway.

What do you *do* w/ all of this stuff? No, I'm not having anymore kids! LOL

Comments

• mad scientistmad scientist Posts: 3,530Registered Users
    Every few months I go through all the toys and do a cull. If its broken or gross it goes in the trash.

If its not being played with but is still good and age appropriate, it goes into a storage box and I'll bring it out again in a few months.

If its been outgrown but still good it goes into a donation box.

I'm trying to cut down on toys altogether but like you said, its like swimming against the tide. I'm gearing up for DS's birthday next week, then Diwali in October, then DD's birthday and Christmas both in December. DS is always asking for every toy he sees but really, he only plays with a few building sets and his video games. That's about it. DD has her favorite toys doesn't seem to care about anything else.

But I definitely find its better to have less toys out at a given time and then rotate. Most of the mess my kids make is by digging through the toy boxes looking for the toy they want and throwing around the other toys in the meantime.
  • spiderlashes5000spiderlashes5000 Posts: 17,898Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    Every few months I go through all the toys and do a cull. If its broken or gross it goes in the trash.

If its not being played with but is still good and age appropriate, it goes into a storage box and I'll bring it out again in a few months.

If its been outgrown but still good it goes into a donation box.

I'm trying to cut down on toys altogether but like you said, its like swimming against the tide. I'm gearing up for DS's birthday next week, then Diwali in October, then DD's birthday and Christmas both in December. DS is always asking for every toy he sees but really, he only plays with a few building sets and his video games. That's about it. DD has her favorite toys doesn't seem to care about anything else.

But I definitely find its better to have less toys out at a given time and then rotate. Most of the mess my kids make is by digging through the toy boxes looking for the toy they want and throwing around the other toys in the meantime.

Do you just keep these storage boxes in your basement or something? In their bedrooms? Hidden from sight in the attic? How much clutter do you allow? Do your kids pick up after themselves?

My 5.5 y/o daughter is a SLOB! Her room looks like a tornado went through it every day. And every night I make her clean it up. It's gettingto the point that she doesn't have time to study for all the cleaning she does. Why won't she just put her stuff away as she finishes playing w/ it???! How does a flat sheet, a fitted sheet, a comforter, three pillows and 5 dolls all wind up on the floor just from one night of sleeping? She takes every one of her American Girl doll's 80 outfits out of the box just to change her one time. Why? What is so friggin hard about "when you take your clothes off, put them in your laundry basket???!"

<rant over>

Yes, I favor too few toys over too many when they have a sibling to play w/ and a big imagination. Rotation is a good idea. Thnx

• nynaeve77nynaeve77 Posts: 7,135Registered Users Curl Novice
    I definitely trash broken stuff and don't feel too bad about it. I know my loved ones didn't intend for everything they bought for my daughter to be kept forever; toys are meant to be played with, and sometimes they break! I either hand down toys that she doesn't play with to her brother or donate them to a local charity.

Spiderlashes, I feel your pain about having a messy kid. Danae is like a whirlwind! She actually will pile toys on her bed to sleep; it's like she needs a bunch of stuff to feel secure. She also LIKES making a mess. It's beyond frustrating, although she's getting better about cleaning up after herself. She's just a naturally messy kid; I think she gets it from her dad, b/c he's a mess, too!
    "Maybe Lucy's right. Of all the Charlie Browns in the world, you're the Charlie Browniest."--Linus, A Charlie Brown Christmas

My fotki: http://public.fotki.com/nynaeve77/
    Password: orphanannie
  • mad scientistmad scientist Posts: 3,530Registered Users
    My almost 5 year old is also a slob so I hear ya.

I put the storage boxes in the basement if they are toys I don't want the kids to see. Otherwise, we have smaller boxes of toys in the kids rooms as well.

I forgot to answer your question about sentimental toys: I don't save them if they are broken.

I don't save them just because a loved one gave it to them. Although it also hurts me to give away perfectly good toys that I know was bought with love, I think toys are meant to be played with, and if they aren't being played with in my house, they are meant to be elsewhere.
  • webjockeywebjockey Posts: 2,786Registered Users
    luckily nobody really buys our kids things so we don't have a huge glut of toys. I definitely throw out toys without shame, but only if they are broken to the point of danger. Even if they aren't used as their original purpose our boys may still find something new to do with them.
    hello.world.
  • inheritedcurlsinheritedcurls Posts: 2,954Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Anything broken or missing pieces, just plain nasty I throw away. McDonald toys...freebies get chunked almost after a weeks time.

Toys that are still good but they have outgrown.I usually try to garage sale...I have these every 6 months.

Those that don't sale...I donate.

I do try to go through stuff every few months...just to see what needs to be chuncked etc.

I do try to rotate stuff from room to playroom or put away and get out. Sometimes just a new setting for toys makes them play with them. Why I have no idea.

Note. When doing any sorting, throwing away..do during naptime or after bed. Doing it while the kids are awake...doesn't work. Especially with older ones. Hubby is also bad about throwing toys away. He remembers having his things given away by parents...I think it scarred him. We have way too much of those race car tracks etc...

I have been asked once about something that was thrown away...I just stated it must be gone.
  • SystemSystem Posts: 39,060 Administrator
    Broken, missing pieces, or just plain nasty got tossed.

Good toys were donated to the church nursery, Goodwill, or charities that collected and distributed good toys. Occasionally, I would find a friend with younger children and give the toys to them. It was like Christmas to the kids without the cost to mom.

Toys that were a favorite but never got much playtime? Put into a storage tub and put in the garage and later on they were 'rediscovered' and like new toys all over. My son is now 14 but still keeps a few of these due to the sentimental value.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file