moisturizer please help me

jadestar1221jadestar1221 Registered Users Posts: 11
omg i need major help i asked countless times on other websites for a good moisturizer i could put on her hair when it comes time for braiding.i dont want to use lusters and kids organic lotion is like water and sucks.i wanted to use sofnpretty sunflower and olive moisturizer but i looked at the ingredients and im not liking what i see.

please im going to the store tomorrow and i need to know her hair is dry at times and i planned on buying raw coconut oil for her scalp because im scared of using grease anymore because its so heavy and thick.

so please fellow mommies please help me:sad11:

Comments

• alyssabriealyssabrie Registered Users Posts: 110
    I don't know about coating her scalp in coconut oil.. It can clog pores and inhibit healthy growth (If you put it on your face, you're like to break out). I love [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Knot-Today-p-207.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-knot-today-leaveindetangler]KCKT[/buylink] (found at Whole Foods) because of all the slip for detangling with coconut oil as a sealant. It keeps my hair so soft and moisturized. I scrub my scalp well every time I wash, whether I co-wash or low-poo, and let my natural oils take care of my scalp. Once I started cleaning my scalp properly, I had no more problems with itchies or flakes or anything.
    5077634794_2cf0982890_m.jpg

Photo Album:blob5:

small waves with corkscrews at the end/medium porosity/medium strand thickness/low density

HENNA! :toothy4:

• subbrocksubbrock Registered Users Posts: 8,212
    alyssabrie wrote: »
    I don't know about coating her scalp in coconut oil.. It can clog pores and inhibit healthy growth (If you put it on your face, you're like to break out). I love [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Knot-Today-p-207.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-knot-today-leaveindetangler]KCKT[/buylink] (found at Whole Foods) because of all the slip for detangling with coconut oil as a sealant. It keeps my hair so soft and moisturized. I scrub my scalp well every time I wash, whether I co-wash or low-poo, and let my natural oils take care of my scalp. Once I started cleaning my scalp properly, I had no more problems with itchies or flakes or anything.

i agree with all of this.
  • generositytgenerosityt Registered Users Posts: 245
    I think it depends with the hair and the scalp, I do massage my daughter's scalp with coconut oil every once in a while and it seems to promote her hair growth (or maybe it's just me, but no negative effects that's for sure). I also alternate between olive oil and coconut oil on her hair and every once in a while I put castor oil in her hair too. I suggest you mix some of your daughter's conditioner with a little bit of oil and then use it to braid, it will work like a lotion and you won't have to worry about the extra ingredients and extra products. You can measure the oil, if what you used this time seemed to get your daughter's hair oily, then use less next time, and so on until you find the right combination.
    A Mediterranean 3b lady
    In love with my curls, love love love
    CG since Nov/07

Co-Wash: VO5, Tresemme naturals, Fructis naturals
    Cond: Nature's Gate conditioners
    Stylers: Lotions made at home with coconut oil, honey, AVG, vegetable glycerin, OO, and EO.
    Gel: LA Looks sports gel for high humidity days.

Hair goal: Waist length healthy curls
  • vluckeyvluckey Registered Users Posts: 45
    I agree with [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Knot-Today-p-207.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-knot-today-leaveindetangler]Kinky Curly Knot Today[/buylink], which I use on my three year old. I also use Kinky Kurly Tiny Twists, which is nice. BUT you may have good enough results using just Aloe Vera Gel, which most Whole Foods will have, but may not have Tiny Twists.

Wonderful ingredients, great results.
    Vanessa
    Living vicariously through my daughters hair
    4 years old, bi-racial, 3b-3c hair

Cleanse- KCCC, Deva No Poo, Tres Semme Naturals, Joico K-pak (once in a while)

Condish- Matrix Conditioning Balm, sometimes with honey and/or AVG

DT- Joico K-pak or Coco Nut Oil mixed with Conditioner

Leave in- KCKT or Matrix Conditioning Balm

Stylers- Arc Angel, Set it Free, B-leave in, KC Tiny Twirls, KC Spiral Spritz, FSG, KCCC

• Curly_JammyCurly_Jammy Registered Users Posts: 626
    Giovanni's direct leave-in, is good as well, it also all natural and less expensive vs. KCNT, Target & Henry's carries it.

Sealing with coconut oil or olive oil is a great option

As far as the scalp goes, Have you tried Jojoba Oil?
    Its the closest oil to our natural sebum produced at the scalp.

I suffered from dry itchy scalp for years, and the best thing for me has been a mix:

Jojoba oil (for dryness)
    Hemp seed oil(optional, My hair loves protein)
    1-2 drops Tea tree oil ( stops the itiches)

-I put this in a norrow tip dye applicator bottle and get the oil mix right on my scalp then I rub it in.

hope this helps :)
    3c, fine, porous,MBL
    Pre: EVCO Poo: GTTT DC:AO GPB, TJ Nourish Spa+EVOO
    LI: Cantu Shea butter LI, YesToCarrots,(AVJ+H2O) Spritz
    Style: AVG, Eco Seal: Qp Mango & Olive oil, Shea AloeMix
  • AsLckyGrlAsLckyGrl Registered Users Posts: 188 Curl Neophyte
    I use Coconut oil [evco]. My hair is probably a bit different from yours, but this oil works great for me! My hair was still moist when I took the braids out three days later... I took out the braids way early because I didnt want to wear them to a job interview.
    3B ; BSL; Low Porosity; Med Texture; CG since July '10.
    Clean: Ever Sleek
    Treat: EVCO, Neutrogena 3xMoisture
    Tools: Boar Brush, wide tooth comb
    Styler: Garnier Sleek&Shine
  • alyssabriealyssabrie Registered Users Posts: 110
    I think it depends with the hair and the scalp, I do massage my daughter's scalp with coconut oil every once in a while and it seems to promote her hair growth (or maybe it's just me, but no negative effects that's for sure). I also alternate between olive oil and coconut oil on her hair and every once in a while I put castor oil in her hair too. I suggest you mix some of your daughter's conditioner with a little bit of oil and then use it to braid, it will work like a lotion and you won't have to worry about the extra ingredients and extra products. You can measure the oil, if what you used this time seemed to get your daughter's hair oily, then use less next time, and so on until you find the right combination.

Massaging her scalp is a great way to promote growth. :afro: Since I'm assuming a lot of mothers only wash their children's hair about once a week, I think about oil on the scalp this way: I surely would not coat my face with coconut oil (or any other oil) and let it sit until I wash my face the next week. And some oil is ok, but I guess I've seen too many mothers "grease" their daughters' scalp.:disgust:
    5077634794_2cf0982890_m.jpg

Photo Album:blob5:

small waves with corkscrews at the end/medium porosity/medium strand thickness/low density

HENNA! :toothy4:

• CurlyQ'sHairDo'sCurlyQ'sHairDo's Registered Users Posts: 54
    I use Organic Coconut Oil as a pre-poo deep conditioner and it works great! But I like to have the hair wet when I put it on, massage it on her scalp and then I wash it all out in about 30 min to 2 hours. (occasionally overnight)

We've never had any problems and her scalp isn't dry!

(maybe luck? lol or maybe this method works for us?)

For braiding, I've used a small amount of coconut oil and it's soaked in great, non greasy, no problems. But we only leave braids for a max of 4 days. But I really like Shea Butter for braiding. -Both of those are for the hair, tho, not the scalp when we're braiding.

When her hair is in braids we use a mix of almond oil, water and lavendar oil as a daily spritz.
    Learning and Loving the Curly Life!!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Check out my Natural Hair Care and Styles blog at www.curlyhairdoideas.com :toothy4: The model and "Curly Girl" is 2 years old now!!
  • jadestar1221jadestar1221 Registered Users Posts: 11
    i use cantu leave in and it works great but ive been following BBB(Beads Braids N Beyond)and she always using moisterizer.i dont coat her hair in cocobut oil(learned the hard way)i put it on her scalp every now and then.thnks for the advice

i think im just gonna start braiding her hair when its damp and use the cantu.because i would always braid her hair when it was dry dry.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file