one month into CG...no progress!

Hi curlies,

I started the no-poo method exactly a month ago. I'm co-washing twice a week (although I feel I need more, b/c it feels dirty) with Suave humectant. I condition with Aussie moist and use a tiny amount of Aussie 3MM as a leave in. Garnier Fructis sleek and shine on dripping wet hair to control my mane. Once a week I'm doing a honey+EOO deep condition. *I'm in a college budget, hence the products. Have tried others in the same range, but these are the 'best' (not as bad) so far.*

My issue: My hair doesn't really feel/look better, not noticeably moisturized like I expected according to my research about CG. It might be just me, but I feel like it is dirty all the time (specially now that I'm starting to build up).

My question(s): How much more should I try the method before giving up?, Is it normal for my hair to feel dirty?, How to get rid of the build up?, What could I be doing wrong?!

I would really appreciate any thoughts!!

Happy curls!

Comments

• curlyjenn10curlyjenn10 Registered Users Posts: 2,034
    Ok, here's where the problem is:

Suave Humectant
    Water (Aqua), Cetearyl Alcohol, Centrimonium Chloride, Dimethicone, Fragrance (Parfum) (Parfum), Quaternium 18, Potassium Chloride, Hydroxyethylcellulose, Propylene Glycol, Disodium EDTA, TEA Dodecylbenzene Sulfonate, DMDM Hydrantoin, Glycerin, Panthenol, Hair Keratin Amino Acids, Sodium Chloride, Methylchloroisothiazolinone, Methylisothiazolinone

Aussie 3MM
    Water (Eau) , Stearyl Alcohol , Cyclopentasiloxane , Cetyl Alcohol , Stearamidopropyl Dimethylamine , Dimethicone , Ecklonia Radiata Extract (Australian Sea Kelp) , Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice , Simmondsia Chinensis Seed Oil (Jojoba) , Glutamic Acid , Fragrance , Benzyl Alcohol , EDTA , Methylchloroisothiazolinone , Methylisothiazolinone

The bolded are all silicones. No wonder it's not going well! You need to shampoo to get these out.

If you're going CG, remember that silicones end in -cone, -conol, and -xane. Also avoid ingredients like mineral oil, petrolatum, and parffin liquidum, which all need a shampoo to remove.

Don't worry about operating on a college budget. I've done it. While the Suave professional line is chock full of silicones, the Naturals line is completely CG (and cheaper!). You can use this for co-wash and rinse-out as you're adjusting. Aussie gels are CG too. I've used the Instant Freeze gel for over two years with great results. Good luck!
    CG since 6/15/08!
    Medium-Fine/Normal Porosity

http://collegecurly.blogspot.com/
  • GreatcurlsGreatcurls Registered Users Posts: 1,784 Curl Connoisseur
    Ditto with Curlyjenn10. All curly types, when going CG, must exclude silicones and petroleum as well as petroleum by-products.

To remove all the cones and petroleum, you many need to use a clarifying or sulfate shampoo. Then start the CG method again.
    Mod CG-Naturally Highly Porous and Dry
     *This list is not exhaustive...
    CoWash: various
    DT: various
    Leave-in: 100% Mafura butter, Shima Hair Leave-in 
    Stylers: MoroccanOil Curl Defining Cream, various
    Spritz/Sealant:not now
    *experimenting and loving it!
  • alejitaramialejitarami Registered Users Posts: 6
    THANK YOU!! Seems like I'll be donating those products and starting my new routine tomorrow!! :toothy10:
  • sopretty20sopretty20 Registered Users Posts: 88
    You can try co-washing with the Curls brand conditioner. I use the Target version of the Coconut Sublime Conditioner (forgot what it's called in Target..coconut 'something'). It's very moisturizing, CG friendly, plus it has a college-friendly price!
    sopretty20: This might sound silly...is "curls" the name of the conditioner? and the one you use is target's version :confused4:
  • sopretty20sopretty20 Registered Users Posts: 88
    LOL! You dont sound silly @ all! Yes, 'Curls' is a brand name (www.curls.biz). Target carries it now but it's a little different from the ones you can order on the website (but it's still made from the same company). It works really well for me as a co-wash and is very moisturizing for my 3C's. If moisture is what you need and you want to stay CG on a budget, you should definitely give it a try! Hope this helps!
  • DancerukDanceruk Registered Users Posts: 22
    When I use 3MM I use it after using another conditioner - A light one, then barely rinse it

HEHH is lovely..and really cheap! (sadly I am allergic to it)

I always shampoo once a week with DC

Hope that helps some...
    Thank you guys! I already gave away my products and started my routine with suave naturals coconut, so far so good...next I'll be trying Curls!!! ;-) THANKS!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file