how do you know if a foundation shade is too light?

VerityVerity Posts: 616Registered Users Curl Neophyte
I generally have the opposite problem: I can't find a shade that's light enough for me.

I just discovered Stila natural finish oil-free makeup, and though I love the texture and light, natural-looking coverage, I am not sure I have the right shade. I have read all the online articles about testing at the jawline and making sure the makeup blends into your skin. This makeup passes those tests, yet I feel that I look a little too pale in it.

Should a foundation shade match your skin exactly, or should it be ever-so-slightly darker?

Comments

• kenzie!kenzie! Posts: 5,055Registered Users
    It should match exactly. If you really feel that it is too light then you can set it with a powder a shade or so darker than your foundation....or you can set it away til winter, when you will be a shade or two paler.
    Rock Chalk Baby!! If you aren't from Kansas, you just won't understand!

Dame Kenz Matilda Jayhawk-Rocksalt, heir to the family diamonds.
  • VerityVerity Posts: 616Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Thanks for the reply!

I asked my 13-year-old daughter (who, let's face it, is going to be brutally honest!) whether the foundation I've been wearing lately is too light, and she said, "What foundation?" I think that tells me that I don't need to save it for winter.
  • sopretty20sopretty20 Posts: 88Registered Users
    Hi Verity! I usually have that same problem. I'm always stuck with foundation that's darker than my tone and I end up looking orange! I found a make-up artist with Mac that finally matched me with the right foundation. And like Kenzie said, I have a powder that's a little darker than the foundation so it works out perfectly!
  • rouquinnerouquinne Posts: 13,737Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    right now i'm actually at my summer shade of skin tone - even i can't avoid getting a bit darker. and i can tell that my winter foundation colour looks too pale - it's subtle, but it's there.

to warm it up, i use a tiny amount of gold-tinged bronzer lightly applied everywhere the sun gets your face first.

and in the next 7 or 8 weeks, it should be back to normal.
    My blog:

http://labellatestarossa.blogspot.ca/

Little Mother of all the Roaches, President-for-Life of the MAC Harlots!
  • guanacaxlatinaguanacaxlatina Posts: 69Registered Users
    why dont u buy samples??? what i like to do is match it to my neck (my face is lighter than the rest of my body).. but i apply it in direct sunlight and see if its too dark or light..

indoor lighting is very decieving as is store lighting at makeup counters..
    Totally Loving My New Hair! :toothy8:

Waist Length Black 2b-2c Hair, Thick, Coarse. Normal Porosity. Slight Protein Sensitive.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file