Babywearers, I need recommendations

MagooMagoo Posts: 2,173Registered Users Curl Neophyte
I need some suggestions for a baby carrier from the babywearing ladies on here. My little guy does not like to be put down (it's getting better but he will only tolerate about 10-15 min before he starts to scream). It's hard to get out with him because he starts to cry in the carseat or stroller. My sister let me borrow her Snugli (sp?) carrier so I at least can use it while I'm at the grocery store but I don't like it and he doesn't seem comfortable in it.
He's 12 weeks old and has pretty good head control but I want something that will support his head for now and that I can use as he gets older. Any suggestions?
3b/c fine, thick, porous, protein sensitive
Modified CG, CJ Rehab, JCWDT, KCKT, VO5 Chamomile Tea Therapy, CJDF, HEBE Gel/Mousse, Bioinfusion Rosemary Mint shampoo, occasional protein

Experimenting with BRHG

"If you want the rainbow, you've gotta put up with the rain"

Comments

• mayimmayim Posts: 2,301Registered Users
    i've tried and used and liked all different kinds of slings and carriers, but my vote, hands down, would be for a mei tai. mine was a babyhawk and i have loved it since lydia was a couple weeks old, and still use it for her occasionally now, at 2.5.

it's easy to learn to use, and easy to use. the weight distribution is very good. one size fits all. i got a cute print on one side and plain olive green on the other, so s.o. used it quite a bit too. it works for both front and back carries, and also folds up quite easily so you can stick it in a diaper bag, etc.

love it.

m
    coarse, thick 3a
    modified cg

weight.png

• SigiSigi Posts: 2,379Registered Users
    A mei tai is a good idea. I have one that I used for 2 of my kids. There are so many different people who make them, so the sky's the limit as far as patterns to choose from. I have a really pretty one that I can't bring myself to let go of even though I'm not having any more kids.
  • MagooMagoo Posts: 2,173Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Thanks ladies. I was looking at those as an option so it's good to hear that you guys really like them. Any recommendations as to where I can get one?

Anybody have any experience with the ERGO? Those look pretty comfy too.
    Modified CG, CJ Rehab, JCWDT, KCKT, VO5 Chamomile Tea Therapy, CJDF, HEBE Gel/Mousse, Bioinfusion Rosemary Mint shampoo, occasional protein

Experimenting with BRHG

• PixieCurlPixieCurl Posts: 5,656Registered Users
    I'm a wrapper, so that would be my rec, but some people aren't interested in wrapping because it seems intimidating or it looks too hippie-ish or whatever reason. I do find a woven wrap is more comfortable than a mei tai (for me) and is better for back carries because you can adjust the height to wherever you want it (if I were to wear DS2 on my back in a mei tai now, his head would likely be between my shoulderblades.... with a wrap he can look over my shoulder). I also found that it didn't take me very long at all to learn to wrap. But everyone's different.

Ergos are nice and becoming more and more mainstreamy. My husband uses an Ergo Sport. I don't think Ergos are great for tiny babies (and your guy is the age where it's awkward to decide whether or not you'd want the infant insert). Plus, same thing with back carries as a mei tai, you don't have much choice as to the height. One plus with an Ergo or other SSC vs a wrap or mei tai is that as the yucky weather approaches, you won't have to worry about the wrap or mei tai straps dragging on the ground in parking lots. But, I can't imagine how you'd use an Ergo under a coat when it gets cold. With a wrap, there are carries you can tie loosely under your coat, then pop your baby in and tighten, then wrap your coat around the baby.
    Faith, 3Aish redhead
    Mama to two wild superheroes and a curly-headed baby boy :love5:
  • deezee02deezee02 Posts: 1,509Registered Users
    I agree with Pixie, my wraps have been my favorite out of the carriers I have.

They look scary at first, but once you practice a few times, they are really easy to use, and you can use them for years.
    58eCm4.png
    SCxkm4.png

Come swag with me!
  • mad scientistmad scientist Posts: 3,530Registered Users
    I've used all sorts - the one that lasted us the longest was the Pikkolo, which is a structured carrier, similar to the Ergo but I found it more adjustable and more suited to my petite shoulders. You can do front, back and outward facing carries.

I wasn't a hardcore baby-wearer - if the baby was happy in the stroller or on the floor, that's where he/she would be. But we used the Pikkolo a lot on vacation and around town when my older one needed to be in the stroller so I'd be carrying the baby. I found the Pikkolo to be nicely supportive on my back.
  • MagooMagoo Posts: 2,173Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Thanks again for the suggetions ladies. Yeah, I find the wraps a bit intimidating and all that fabric just makes me feel hot. I can see though how wrapping can give you more options. I may pick up some fabric and practice a bit to see if I get the hang of it.
    Madscientist, I've never been a hardcore babywearer either but this little guy has given me no other choice since he's just not happy when I put him down in anything.

Experimenting with BRHG

• geekygeeky Posts: 4,995Registered Users
    While your baby is small, you can totally get some cheap fabric and do a DIY wrap. There are instructions out there on the web for how much you need and what fabrics are good. When the babies get heavier then you really need a good supportive fabric like the "real" wraps have.
    To Trenell, MizKerri and geeky:
    I pray none of you ever has to live in a communist state.

Geeky is my hero. She's the true badass. The badass who doesn't even need to be a badass. There aren't enough O's in cool to describe her.
  • curly_keltiecurly_keltie Posts: 791Registered Users
    My DS also hate the Snugli I was given. At around the same age, 12 weeks, I got him a Little Stars sling and loved it. It is just a matter of trying different kinds and seeing what works for you and your son. When I got my sling, the store owner helped me with a bunch of different ones until we found one that worked for DS and I.

Good Luck!
    Long, blonde, 3a/mostly b hair.

78Da.jpg78Dam6.png

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file