Aging 2b curls needing life and less frizz, help please!

strawbegonestrawbegone Posts: 36Registered Users
Since my newcomer post in the 40s forum left me with no answers I hope I can do better here.

I've looked to naturallycurly.com for product info for over 6 yrs now, and after trying product after product on my aging locks fighting dryness, frizz and fighting to bring back the life and bounce my waves once had I need some help in the area.

My hair is very thick, but not coarse. I have great curls underneath, while the top tends to straighten out and frizz out. I tend to have scalp irritation with some products and not sure if I would benefit from a CG routine. I do see where shampooing every 3 or 4 days increases my dryness and frizz but won't going only with conditioner cause my scalp more breakout and irritation?

Currently I'm using Elucence MBS/MBC and I like the products real well, haven't found a good anti-frizz product yet though. I don't like alot of gunk in my hair so gunky gels are out, serums seem to work best for me.

One last question, I've been thinking of trying Curl Junkie, anyone with suggestions on which products in this line to try...do let me know!

2a/2b canopy 3a/3b underneath
Modified CG, co wash diluted VO5, LOVE Elucence MBC & MBS! Activate's nice too.
Still looking for a styling product...suggestions welcome!

Comments

• LavenderCurlsLavenderCurls Posts: 1,478Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Hi there!

Have you tried [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Curly-Hair-Solutions-Curl-Keeper-p-28.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=curly-hair-solutions-curl-keeper]Curl Keeper[/buylink] for the frizz? It's great at keeping frizz at bay.

As for washing only with conditioner, I personally haven't had any irritations or anything like that. I'm modified CG, so I do use a clarifying shampoo once in awhile when I use a few products with a cone in them for a few days in a row. There's also sulfate-free poos that you could use.

I haven't tried the Curl Junkie products, but alot of people seem to like the Hibiscus Banana Leave-in (longer name than that but I can't think of it right now :lol: ).

Curls Products are good and you can get samples at Sista's Place very reasonably priced.

I'm really liking the Garnier Fructis stuff right now - the Sleek-n-Shine and Curl-n-Shine conditioners and their matching conditioning leave-ins. The Soft Curl Cream is also very good.

You might want to list what you're routine is and what you're using to get more help.
    CG-modified since 4/05
    2b/3a and 3b on occasion!
    Products: The hair aisle in my own cabinets. :roll:
    Best definition winner: KCCC
    Best volume winner: LOOB
  • strawbegonestrawbegone Posts: 36Registered Users
    Thanks lavendercurls for the input, hmmm [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Curly-Hair-Solutions-Curl-Keeper-p-28.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=curly-hair-solutions-curl-keeper]Curl Keeper[/buylink] I'll have to look into that one.

Think next time I'll try washing in conditioner only just to see if I can live with it. Is it better to try a lighter conditioner rather than something more heavy like [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Elucence-Moisture-Balancing-Conditioner-p-39.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=elucence-elucence-moisture-balancing-conditioner]Elucence MBC[/buylink]? I notice alot of responses talk about Suave, VO5 and other cheaper OTCs, not sure if it's they're right for my older locks though. I'm 46, finding products that help retain some elasticity, keep the breakage and frizz down have been a real struggle over the past few years.

As far as a routine, I try to keep the fuss to a minimum. I shampoo and condition about ever 4th day and add a dime or quarter size of serum or polishing milk when my hair is damp and comb out with a large pick. I'm working on keeping my hands off my hair after that :lol: I'm trying to use up some Redken's polishing milk but I don't think it's helping much with frizz or my look. I just bought some Tizz no Frizz and used it once, I think it may be too gel-like to suit me. Does Garnier have a good product to add shine and defrizz without adding a sticky or gunky coating?
    I'm 49 so I can relate to the hair thing :lol: .

[buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Curly-Hair-Solutions-Curl-Keeper-p-28.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=curly-hair-solutions-curl-keeper]Curl Keeper[/buylink] is very good stuff, expensive but worth it if it works for you. Luckily, I can generally get by without it in the cooler months.

For the most part, people use the cheaper condishes to wash with just because they're fine for washing with. I generally use Suave products and VO5 to wash with. Currently, I'm using VO5 Moisture Milks Strawberries and Cream (the smell is absolutely yummy!!). I've also used that to condition with if I've used a shampoo to get cones out. The Garnier Fructis Sleek-n-Shine and Curl-n-Shine conditioners are great and alot of people think they're as good as the DevaCurl ones (One C). I've tried One C and didn't like it because of the smell.

I also find I have to use alot of conditioner for both washing with and conditioning. I mean alot! So don't be afraid to use alot if it makes your hair feel good. Ideally, you need a conditioner with good "slip", which makes your hair feel "seaweedy". I usually use two to three good sized palmfuls and I used to think that was way too much. But after talking with others on the main board, it's apparent that depending on the hair, some of us just need alot of conditioner.

Some like to use better conditioners to condition with. Elucence is excellent and I've tried it. The only thing that kept me from rebuying was that there's an ingredient in it that reminds me of cigarettes (as do some other products I've noticed). I don't smoke so it bothers me big time :lol: . Curls has a conditioner that is very good, also, called Curl Ecstasy Asian Hair Tea. Although I don't like the smell - and her other products smell so good you could eat them - the conditioner is thick and rich. Her website is here and you can also get samples of her products and some others sold here at Curlmart at Sista's Place.

Garnier Fructis has some good stuff that I use in rotation. The Soft Curl Cream is great for giving body and volume but is tricky to use. It works much better if you put it in soaking wet hair, as do most products. The Sleek-n-Shine and Curl-n-Shine Conditioning Leave-in Creams work well for me as stylers.

Putting products in soaking wet hair seems to work best for most products and using a microfiber towel that you can find in the auto department at Walmart works to cut down on frizz as opposed to use a regular terrycloth towel.

Jessicurl has some very good stuff that won't leave your hair producty, the Rockin' Ringlets and Confident Coils Styling Solution. Plus, her Too Shea! and [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Jessicurl-Aloeba-Daily-Conditioner-p-104.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=jessicurl-aloeba-daily-conditioner]Aloeba[/buylink] conditioners are excellent.

Alot of information, I know, and it takes awhile to get down to what works for your hair. Even then, the "PJ monster" (product junkie) comes out regularly when new products are mentioned that work well :lol: . Such as L'Oreal's Out of Bed Instant Texture. That was mentioned on the board awhile back, I finally read the thread, bought some and am in love with the stuff!!

Hope this info has been helpful and let us know what stuff you decide to use.
    CG-modified since 4/05
    WOW! Thanks you've given me alot to check into I'm impressed :D And it's nice to know the advice isn't coming from someone in their 20s, they haven't a clue what their in for! :lol: Suddenly you go from dealing with oily hair and washing everyday to stretching out your routine in hopes of giving your hair the remotest chance of finding that drop of nature oil!

I'll have buzz by Walmart and get that microfiber towel and I'll keep you updated on what's been working...thanks again :D
    I thought it would help to know I was your age :lol: .

I'm sure your hair will respond positively. Be sure to give it time. The first time I tried being strictly CG, it didn't last long. The idea of not using shampoo just seemed ... weird. It was several months before I tried it again and although I'm modified CG, I'm glad I gave it another shot. I'm much happier with my natural hair; however, I wish the Hair Fairy would give me more hair back on top like I used to have!

Looking forward to seeing how you like the microfiber towels.
    CG-modified since 4/05
    Well I did the co-wash Monday, used Biolage Smoothing cond that I knew gave me the slip everyone talks about. I was amazed that my hair did get somewhat clean and first off I noticed much more curl and softness. :D Second day I started to notice that my scalp felt rather heavy and irritated. I have a problem with irritated scalp and those awful scalp pimples and bumps that form underneath (maybe caused by sulfates huh?) I was concerned that going strictly with cond would cause more to form. By third day I was itchin' to wash it all out and yesterday I went for the poo and I'm back to the straw look once again :x I also notice that my scalp is just as itchy and irritated with the poo. :evil:

So question for you lavendercurls :?: Does your scalp get used to the coated feeling of going only with a conditioner? Is it a matter of finding the right product to co-wash with? Since I definitely saw benefits I gonna give it a try again!

Got the microtowel and the GF Sleek/shine leave-in plus the Curl/shine leave-in since the both of them together cost me only $6 I thought I try them both. Didn't like the smell much but it goes away quickly but I was totally impressed how the Sleek/shine took away my frizzies :D I've spent a whole lot more on products that didn't do a dang thing and often times made more frizzies :x Thanks for the scoop on GF lavendercurls!

Now to find the right routine to bring back some life to these strawlike locks...I'll keep working on it :)
    Hey gal!

I never have had a problem with the irritation that you mention. Now sometimes - once in a great while - I'll get an itchy scalp and will use epsom salt mixed in with my washing conditioner to help that (brown sugar is another thing to use). But since I'm modified, I do use a clarifying poo once in awhile and haven't had an itchy scalp in quite awhile.

You could always use a sulfate-free shampoo. Creme of Nature (found in the ethnic sections in most stores) is popular and you can also find some sulfate-free ones at the health food store (particularly J/A/S/O/N brand). Plus, Jessicurl, DevaCurl, and Curls all have low or non-sulfate poos.

If you can tolerate it for a few more days, it may your scalp just reacting to not having sulfates and would work itself out. And it might have been the conditioner you used. Get some cheap VO5 or Suave conditioner and see if that is better for you.

Glad you got and liked the GF stuff. I've been impressed by the products I've used.

Keep me posted on your progress!
    CG-modified since 4/05
  • rushirb55rushirb55 Posts: 146Registered Users
    I would also check your shampoos and conditioners. If it has proteins in it, especially wheat, maybe your hair doesn't like it. I know mine doesn't so I use shampoos and conditioners that have no proteins in it. Especially wheat.
    2C-3A??? Currently using Curly Q Milkshake, 3-minute Aussie Miracle, using non-sulphate shampoos, MopTop Pomade, Boots curl creme, always looking for that next miracle product for my hair! My PJ is never satisfied.
    Epsom salt...brown sugar? Where do you come up with all this lavendercurls? Vinegar, mayo but never heard of these? In what portions?

I have another report of my return to a co-wash with another one of my many cond that I have (product junkie like every gal here :lol:) This time I tried some Rusk calm, I thought it might be a tad lighter...WOW I love what THIS co-wash has done, I actually have a wave PATTERN :!: Haven't seen that in a dog's age :D I CAN definitely see the advantages of sticking to this routine. So lavendercurls how long do you go before another co-wash? Is it done more often or less often than the traditional poo/cond interval...of course as my hair has aged and dryed the intervals have been further and further apart.

And rushirb55 thanks for your reply and you just might be onto something regarding the wheat. I looked at the products I've been using and ALOT of them have hydrolyzed wheat protein in them including the Rusk calm I just used to co-wash today. Heck I've seen stuff like potato starch in a couple of items I have, strange! I didn't realize how much I NEVER looked at the chemical makeup of the stuff I put on my hair, stuff that's likely been turning it to straw and my scalp horribly itchy and irritated!
    BTW noticed you're from England :D ...GOD I LOVED that country when I went over a few years back...so wish I could afford to return :!: Right now I'm trying to acquire some pictures of double-decker buses, red phone booths and street scenes of London and the English countryside to decorate my living room with, my pics from the trip are ok but nothing worth framing. Hope you're not having a too gloomy winter...heard of that freak tornado there...that's bizarre!
  • teela1978teela1978 Posts: 278Registered Users
    Hi strawbegone! I CO about as often as I used to shampoo/condition my hair. You might want to check out the going shampooless threads as well for some info. The general trend is to use a cheap conditioner for "washing" with (vo5, suave, white rain, tresemme, etc) and then if extra moisture is needed, following up with a more moisturizing 2nd conditioner on the ends. Glad to hear you're having success!
    Fine Wavy (2a)
    Weeklyish shampoo with CO's inbetween to keep down the grease.
  • memesmemes Posts: 785Registered Users
    I'm also 49 with hair that sounds similar to yours and I pretty much follow a CG routine and wash with conditoners. I used to have lots of issues with my scalp but they went away when I stopped using sulfates. I almost never have any scalp irritation any more. You can't just use any old conditioner though...you really need to make sure that you only use conditioners that don't contain any 'cones, mineral oil or other ingredients that tend to build up on your hair. I haven't used much shampoo at all over the last few years but lately I've been washing about once a week with Activate or the Curl Junkie shampoo.

If your hair is fine and gets weighed down easily you probably will want to use the lighter condtioners for washing such as VO5 or Suave but I find I can use any good conditioner as long as I'm rotating them. You can also wash with just water some days if you are being good about avoiding condtioners and styling products that build up.

I really like all of the CJ products I've tried but my favorites are the Hibiscus Shampoo, Give 'em the Slip Leave In and Cocoa Coffee Curl Cream. I also like the Banana Hibiscus Leave In for fine hair but find that I can't use it every day or my hair starts to feel a bit dry.

So far as frizz is concerned I'm having good luck with the [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Curly-Hair-Solutions-Curl-Keeper-p-28.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=curly-hair-solutions-curl-keeper]Curl Keeper[/buylink] that everybody raves about here and I also like the Marc Anthony Curl Lotion that you can get at a drugstore.

Good luck,

Michelle
    3A, fine but thick, low porosity, low to medium resilience, protein sensitive but not to silk

Favorites: Anything from Curly Kinks...their system is my new holy grail. Still liking Juice Organics Orange and TJ Refresh Conditioners as all purpose co-wash and rinse outs.
    Epsom salt...brown sugar? Where do you come up with all this lavendercurls? Vinegar, mayo but never heard of these? In what portions?

I have another report of my return to a co-wash with another one of my many cond that I have (product junkie like every gal here :lol:) This time I tried some Rusk calm, I thought it might be a tad lighter...WOW I love what THIS co-wash has done, I actually have a wave PATTERN :!: Haven't seen that in a dog's age :D I CAN definitely see the advantages of sticking to this routine. So lavendercurls how long do you go before another co-wash? Is it done more often or less often than the traditional poo/cond interval...of course as my hair has aged and dryed the intervals have been further and further apart.

The epsom salt was something I found on the board here. The brown sugar is in the Curly Girl book, I believe. Odd, I know, but it works! As for co-washing, I typically do it everyday. Somedays, depending on what I used the day before, I'll just rinse really good with water (scrubbing my scalp very well) and condition again before applying products. I don't get "second day hair" so I have to get my hair wet everyday.

You just have to play around (which takes patience :lol: ) until you see what works best for your hair.
    CG-modified since 4/05
    Thanks teela1978and Michelle for your added help. I see that the both of you will use shampoo once in awhile. I just did another co-wash with different conditioner (probably a too heavy one) and I'm noticing a definite build-up. I hate the feel of gunky, waxy films on my hair and that has been my main hesitation to going the conditioner only route. I probably should do what lavendercurls suggests and try Suave or VO5, I've just been working with stuff I already had and most of it is probably far too heavy.

Maybe it's been the sulfates that have caused all my scalp irritation, how about rotating between co-washes with a sulfate-free poo, bet you've tried that...how's that work out?

Again thanks for the added input...I'll have to go to curlmart to order the [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Curly-Hair-Solutions-Curl-Keeper-p-28.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=curly-hair-solutions-curl-keeper]Curl Keeper[/buylink]. Hope you all have a great holiday! :D
  • memesmemes Posts: 785Registered Users
    I did alternate between shampoo and condtioner washes when I first started CG and just gradually weaned myself off the shampoo. YOu could give that a try and just keep trying different schedules until you find a comfortable place. My hair was really dry at the time and I think giving up shampoo completely really helped get it back to normal but you may not need to do give up shampoo entirely. I was already using sulfate free shampoos and it seemed like I really needed to go to conditioner only for awhile.

Do consider the Curl Junkie products when you get around to wanting something new...they are my current favorites!

Merry Christmas,

Michelle
    3A, fine but thick, low porosity, low to medium resilience, protein sensitive but not to silk

Favorites: Anything from Curly Kinks...their system is my new holy grail. Still liking Juice Organics Orange and TJ Refresh Conditioners as all purpose co-wash and rinse outs.
  • missy60missy60 Posts: 351Registered Users
    I just wanted to add if you have scalp problems make sure you do a good scalp massage with the conditioner just like you would with shampoo. Some of the conditioners even lather a little like a shampoo and I think VO5 kiwi and lime conditioner says clarifying on it so alot like it for CO wash. I use VO5 products but always follow up with another more moisturing conditioner because my hair is so dry. Elucence would be good for the second conditioner and you can leave some of that in. Some times if my scalp is acting up I do a CWC which is applying conditioner to the length and shampooing only the scalp. I use diluted shampoo for that. Then rinse that out and apply my second conditioner. Jessicurl has a great line she has a a gentle cleansing creme that is like doing a CO wash and her videos are excellant for styling help
  • missy60missy60 Posts: 351Registered Users
    Oh yeah I just wanted to add that you can just CO wash as often or as little as you want to according to how your hair looks and feels that day. Alot here do it every day because they cant get second day curls so if your hair looks good with out it dont do it
  • wild_sasparillawild_sasparilla Posts: 4,306Registered Users
    Since my newcomer post in the 40s forum left me with no answers I hope I can do better here.

This time, I'll accept your claims.

Spam, spam, spam. :roll:
    OMG, LOOK!!

...It's a siggie. :shock:

This time, I'll accept your claims.

Spam, spam, spam. :roll:

LOL - when I saw that response, I was like .. okay:lol:
    CG-modified since 4/05
  • stubbornirishhairstubbornirishhair Posts: 118Registered Users
    I am 44 and my hair is shinier and more moisturized since I started washing it only once or twice a week, with a mild shampoo- Giovanni 50/50 or the Trader Joe equivalent called Nourish (?). I think everyone else gave good advice about scalp issues. It takes awhile for your scalp to adjust to less cleaning and stop producing too much oil.
    2B wavy thick hair
    Fia=2a M iii
    modified CG since 1/12/06
  • blue79blue79 Posts: 18Registered Users
    I have a similar issue with my scalp, it gets irritated/dry easily. I've found since switching to this regime(modified) that it's much better :) Before I was using regular shampoo, and having to use Neutrogena T gel to take away the itchiness. Now I cowash with V05 kiwi clarifying conditioner/other V05's, and once a week I shampoo with Cream of Nature(non-sulfate)....so far doing much better!! I haven't used the T-Gel once since starting this. A few days ago I decided to use a regular sulfate shampoo since I've been using some silicone products, and uffff, my scalp got all flaky and itchy :x Totally made me realize i need to get rid of the cones and stick with the non-sulfate stuff!!!
  • bostonwavesbostonwaves Posts: 727Registered Users
    I found that as I got older I was losing more and more hair. To the point of looking thinner on the top. I was getting a little nervous.

Since I went CG - my hair is so much healthier. I really think my hair loss has slowed way down and even looks thicker. I'm not worried about going bald now.

And for the first time since my 20's I'm letting my hair grow long!

I use primarily Jessicurl, Devacurl stuff. I alternate these with EMBC and [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/AG-Recoil-p-24.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=ag-hair-cosmetics-recoil-curl-activator]re:coil[/buylink] and joiwhip. I do find I need to alternate products pretty frequently.
    "What's the good of having naturally curly hair if nobody's jealous?" Freida - Peanuts

~CG 8/06 ~
    fine, wavy - 2b/3a
    KCNT and KKCC
  • KaterinaKaterina Posts: 117Registered Users
    Thanks lavendercurls for the input, hmmm [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Curly-Hair-Solutions-Curl-Keeper-p-28.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=curly-hair-solutions-curl-keeper]Curl Keeper[/buylink] I'll have to look into that one.

Think next time I'll try washing in conditioner only just to see if I can live with it. Is it better to try a lighter conditioner rather than something more heavy like [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Elucence-Moisture-Balancing-Conditioner-p-39.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=elucence-elucence-moisture-balancing-conditioner]Elucence MBC[/buylink]? I notice alot of responses talk about Suave, VO5 and other cheaper OTCs, not sure if it's they're right for my older locks though. I'm 46, finding products that help retain some elasticity, keep the breakage and frizz down have been a real struggle over the past few years.

As far as a routine, I try to keep the fuss to a minimum. I shampoo and condition about ever 4th day and add a dime or quarter size of serum or polishing milk when my hair is damp and comb out with a large pick. I'm working on keeping my hands off my hair after that :lol: I'm trying to use up some Redken's polishing milk but I don't think it's helping much with frizz or my look. I just bought some Tizz no Frizz and used it once, I think it may be too gel-like to suit me. Does Garnier have a good product to add shine and defrizz without adding a sticky or gunky coating?

I've experienced considerably less breakage since I started keeping the comb out of my hair and not using a brush. That has done wonders for the breakage with me. As for frizz? Hm............nothing comes to mind at the moment. I can't help but think that getting rid of the pick might help there, although it might not.

My sister in law has curly hair and also picks out her hair. She is right around our age, and she has classic Rosanne Rosannadanna hair that goes east-west.

I've used the Garnier Fructis spray gel while on a shampoo routine, but this hasn't worked for me on the CG routine, at least not in the earliest stages. Maybe later. Garnier gave me good definition although I tend to have curls with London Bridge syndrome ( fall down).

I tried honey this a.m. in my gel. It adds shine!!!

Just so ya know, I'm 43.
    fine, wavy hair with lazy waves. Sometimes lanky spiral curls underneath when the weath is very humid. My waves are capricious like me! Presently using Burt's Bees condish, FOTE AVG with honey or Mop Top gel.
    Since last posting here, I'm beginning to have some success with a modified CG routine. I learned the trick of watering-down Vo5 Passion Fruit with distilled H2O as my co-wash and using [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Elucence-Moisture-Balancing-Conditioner-p-39.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=elucence-elucence-moisture-balancing-conditioner]Elucence MBC[/buylink] as my finishing cond. It's been looking far healthier, curlier and that coated feeling seems to have lessened.

Retiring my brush was the best thing I could've ever done for my aging dry-breakage prone locks. Sometimes it works out that I can just use my fingers for styling while totally wet and then JUST REMEMBER TO LEAVE MY HANDS OUT OF MY HAIR and WOW let the clumping and swirls begin! :D If I could totally retire my wide-tooth comb I'd probably do that as well!

Now if I can just get a great cut...would like to hear from those who've had a dry cut, or someone give me a heads-up on prior posts about cutting wavy-curly hair dry.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file