Wax with curly girl method?

Hi

I've just started the CG method and after co-washing, am just using some leave in conditioner and gel...but it's not enough. For day #2, I definitely need something to smooth down the frizzies. Is Redken water wax ok to use? (I used to use that ages ago and remember loving it.) And for day #1, should I be using something else in addition to gel or instead of gel? How do I know??? I'm trying to keep this CG experiment cheap as I may just want to chop off my hair instead!

Other info: I used to use Bumble and Bumble Leave in conditioner and then Styling cream with great results back when I had ringlets. Then I had a baby and now my hair is wavy rather than curly and I just can't figure out how to make it work...you know, probably because I'm dreaming of movie star waves. Hah. It's medium in terms of texture/quantity. Thanks for any suggestions!

Comments

• curlyjenn10curlyjenn10 Registered Users Posts: 2,034
    Are these the correct ingredients?

Water Aqua, PEG 40 Hydrogenated Castor Oil, PPG 5 Ceteth 20, Steareth 20, Propylene Glycol, Glycerin, Oleth 10 Phosphate, C12 15 Alkyl Benzoate, Octyldodecyl Neopentanoate, Phenoxyethanol, Fragrance (Parfum) (Parfum), Potassium Hydroxide, Disodium EDTA, Ethylparaben, Methylparaben, Mica, Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891), Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein, Hydrolyzed Wheat Starch, FD&C Blue 1 (CI 42090), D&C Red 33 (CI 17200)

If so, you might be able to use it. A lot of people have problems with castor oil building up, even if it is water-soluble, so be careful.

It might be better to work on preventing the frizz instead of fixing it (though do realize that it's going to be frizzy and not pretty during the transition period, so frizz-free curls may not be realistic). How are you sleeping with it? People have had good luck with satin caps and the pineapple technique.
    CG since 6/15/08!
    Medium-Fine/Normal Porosity

http://collegecurly.blogspot.com/
  • thursday_yoginithursday_yogini Registered Users Posts: 5
    Ah, ok. Thanks for the tip about castor oil build up, and suggesting a satin pillow case. Maybe a new pillowcase is all I need! I'll have to read up on the pineapple technique too.

But just in case, do you know if I do shampoo (once a week, after swimming, using California Baby Swimmer's shampoo) if that would remove build-up from castor oil or is it the sort of buildup that only sulfates can remove?

You know, I just realized that I don't know that I can even spot build up on my hair! I am so clueless!!!

Thanks again.
  • curlyjenn10curlyjenn10 Registered Users Posts: 2,034
    It probably will. I don't have any experience with castor oil, so I couldn't say for sure. You might not even have a problem with it, it's just something to watch out for. If you notice it's not working, then you could just switch your products up. I'd continue until you have a problem :)

Build-up comes in many forms. You might physically have stuff on your scalp (mine's usually white) or it could just feel gross. It happens a lot during transitioning. I also get oil build-up where the oil stays on the individual strands of hair and blocks out moisture. So my hair gets less curly, is too soft the first day, and very dry the second day. I don't think a lot of people have this problem (guess I'm just lucky!).

Good luck! It can be very confusing in the beginning, but once you figure it out it's easy!
    CG since 6/15/08!
    Medium-Fine/Normal Porosity

http://collegecurly.blogspot.com/
    Well, it's definitely reassuring to know that it gets easy. I feel like I need a class right now!
  • Cleo68Cleo68 Registered Users Posts: 14
    Hi thursday_yogini,

I have a few suggestions to help reduce frizz based on research and my own experience.

Use a cotton t-shirt instead of a towel on your hair
    Sleep on a satiny pillow case
    Rinse hair with cold water at the end of your shower
    After adding gel and arranging your hair for drying don't touch it
    Distribute gel over hands and run lightly over the top of the frizzies - not 100% but really helps
    Avoid products with silicones

I don't know much about build up, but you could try a low suds shampoo formulated for curly hair (no sulfates or 'cones') like Low-Poo from DevaCare. You could also do a baking soda cleanse followed by an apple cider vinegar rinse to restore ph and close the cuticles. Keeping the cuticles of the hair closed is what reduces frizz, keeps in moisture, and protects the cortex of the hair.

Tiffany Anderson's site live curly live free is a great resource, as is Curly Girl by Lorraine Massey. There are also good videos for curly girl techniques on YouTube. Good luck to you!
    Best Guess:3b curls, fine to medium, normal porosity, normal elasticity, medium to high density.

Full CG Routine: No Poo Mondays, co-wash as needed. Using DevaCare line and loving it. One conditioner, AnGel, Set it Free

Au natural about five weeks and counting...
    Thanks, Cleo68! I've been doing all of those things except for using a special pillow case. I just cut an old bridesmaid sash in two and -tada!- now have two satin pillow cases. I'll try using one tonight.

Meanwhile earlier today I bought the [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Spiral-Spritz-p-915.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=Kinky-Curly-Sprial-Spritz-Natural-Styling-Serum]Kinky Curly Spiral Spritz[/buylink] at WF as it claimed to be good for the 2nd day (and boy did I need something) and I am AMAZED at what it did to my hair. It doesn't add any heaviness like a wax/pomade would, it just somehow removed the frizz! It is less wavy than yesterday though, but maybe the pillowcase trick will fix that. And I may have to try using this stuff instead of/on top of the gel on day #1 too. My hair has never looked better on Day #2 than Day #1 before. I can't stop looking at my hair in the mirror. :queen:

Also I've been reading up on porosity and I realize that has been an ongoing problem for me. So I think I need a protein deep conditioner to use weekly and/or to do some ACV rinses.

Thanks again folks for replying! I needed some curly girl hair advice.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file