New Transitioner! Started June, 2010. Help me?

CSouthhamavongCSouthhamavong Registered Users Posts: 3
Well I've just started transitioning in June. My last perm was in May. I measured and I have about two inches of new growth and it's SUPER curly. It actually knots where the two textures meet and it's very irritating.

I talked to my mother about it, she says I have really good hair. My aunt permed my hair. For what reason? I have no idea and i never will. My mom was furious when she seen what she had done. I'm mixed. African American, Native American, Puerto Rican, and Dominican.

And I seen pictures of my hair when I was little and it is very good.

I need help on what products should I use and what styles should I do while transitioning.

I get irritated at times and want to do the big chop like NOW but my boyfriend always gets me back on the right track. Haha. But i want to embrace my natural hair. It's very important to me.

I just need advice through this process.
Thank you so much. God bless.

Comments

• mia12mia12 Registered Users Posts: 46
    If you want to embrace your natural hair and BC now then you should. I transitioned and it was a hassle. Looking back on it I wish I had just cut the relaxed ends off much earlier in my journey. You shouldn't allow your boyfriend or anyone else decided what you should do to your hair.

Also, I know that you're new here, but I highly discourage you against using the term good hair in the way that you did. For us and many other naturals/curly girls, good hair = healthy hair, not a particular texture or curl pattern. Saying that you have good hair implies a lack of knowledge, and is considered offensive to many people. And don't get too caught up in your new growth, or in pictures of your hair when you were little. In many cases your true pattern will not be the same as when you were a child, or as those two inches of hair that your see now. The new growth is weighed down by the relaxed ends, and it may take on a different apperance once you cut them off. Spend some time looking around the forum so you can learn more about natural hair and how to care for it during your transition. Good luck on your journey :)
  • CSouthhamavongCSouthhamavong Registered Users Posts: 3
    mia12 wrote: »
    If you want to embrace your natural hair and BC now then you should. I transitioned and it was a hassle. Looking back on it I wish I had just cut the relaxed ends off much earlier in my journey. You shouldn't allow your boyfriend or anyone else decided what you should do to your hair.

Also, I know that you're new here, but I highly discourage you against using the term good hair in the way that you did. For us and many other naturals/curly girls, good hair = healthy hair, not a particular texture or curl pattern. Saying that you have good hair implies a lack of knowledge, and is considered offensive to many people. And don't get too caught up in your new growth, or in pictures of your hair when you were little. In many cases your true pattern will not be the same as when you were a child, or as those two inches of hair that your see now. The new growth is weighed down by the relaxed ends, and it may take on a different apperance once you cut them off. Spend some time looking around the forum so you can learn more about natural hair and how to care for it during your transition. Good luck on your journey :)

Whooooa, I never used it in ANY way. That's how you took it. When I said good hair I meant HEALTHY hair, that's why Idk why my aunt permed it when it was perfectly fine. THAT'S what I meant. If anyone is offended by that, they shouldn't be.
    And when I say a child I don't mean like a baby. I mean like older. 6, 7, 8 , 9. But thank you.
  • mia12mia12 Registered Users Posts: 46
    Just don't want you to get too caught up in the new growth that you see now. Sometimes its surprising how your hair can look a little different after you get rid of the relaxed part. I want to put that out there so you don't become discouraged and relax if that does happen. As for right now, I recommend that you keep your hair as moisturized as possible, especially at the point where the natural hair meets the relaxer. You don't want your hair to break off, and I say that from experience :(. You might want to try silk elements moisturizing treatment as a DC. I'm using it right now and I love it. Style wise, you could try twist outs or braid outs to blend the two textures together. Here's an example of what a twist out can look like on transitioning hair: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0xWtAoRL6w
    If your relaxed hair is too straight to hold the twist together, you can put rollers on the ends to help them curl. Roller sets are also a good option. Just try not to use too much direct heat and you should be fine. Hope that helps!
  • EtherealSkyEtherealSky Registered Users Posts: 1
    Hi! I started transitioning June 2010 too! How long do you want to transition?
  • morrighumorrighu Registered Users Posts: 707
    I'd like to say that it took me a year and half. But it's really still going on. I never did the BC. I just kept working with my hair and getting it trimmed when the ends would get ratty. DT's are your friend. I highly recommend that you do them 2x a week until really damaged relaxed part grows out.
  • Eighty7Eighty7 Registered Users Posts: 109
    mia12 wrote: »

Whooooa, I never used it in ANY way. That's how you took it. When I said good hair I meant HEALTHY hair, that's why Idk why my aunt permed it when it was perfectly fine. THAT'S what I meant. If anyone is offended by that, they shouldn't be.
    And when I say a child I don't mean like a baby. I mean like older. 6, 7, 8 , 9. But thank you.

That still doesn't matter.
    Hair changes as you get older & It will continue to change.
    :blob5:
    Last Relaxer : March 2, 2010.
    Big Chop : June 8, 2011

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file