We’d like your help getting CurlTalk back on its feet!

By participating on CurlTalk — posting, commenting, liking — in the next few weeks, you will automatically be entered to win amazing prizes.

Our latest winner is Savagegirl!

CurlyCanadian, Bomega and EllaJ have also won wonderful prizes! Will you be next? Post, like, comment, GET ACTIVE and help us get CurlTalk ENERGIZED again!

Learn more!

Let's Talk EyeShadow....

LotsawavesLotsawaves Posts: 8,744Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
My eyelids are crinkly. I like wearing eyeshadow, but they tend to make my eyelids look even worse. I tried Avon's Benefit Vertical Lifting Shadows, but I didn't care for it. Didn't help at all. I did a search and came up with Skinn cosmetic eyeshadows. Has anyone used these or anything else that has helped?
From Michael Berg:

Every person has a unique connection to the Creator that can never be extinguished, and every person has a great soul that can manifest important things in our world. To make a person feel less than they are because of something inside themselves, be it faith, race, or sexual orientation, is the greatest sin of all."

Comments

• justajesuschickjustajesuschick Posts: 1,657Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    The secret for me is highly pigmented shadows (MAC and Bobbi Brown for me) in matte finish and to use a good shadow primer (Too Faced Shadow Insurance for me).
    I'm 47. Straight hair until 6/2010. THANKS, thyroid!
    2b, medium-fine, normal-low porosity, medium density and elasticity
    CG since 7/1/2010

Cleanse: Abba Color Protect
    Condition: DevaCurl OC
    LI: CJ-Deep Fix, Beauticurls LI
    Curl Enhancer: CHS Curl Keeper, KCCC
    Gel: Alba Strong Hold Gel, BRHG, Hugo Naturals Gel, SS FHG, CJPP
    Trying/Maybe: Ecostyler, CJRM
  • LotsawavesLotsawaves Posts: 8,744Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Thanks for the recommendations. I just ordered Too Faced Shadow and a matte finished eyeshadow from Mac. Can't wait to get it in and to try it.
    From Michael Berg:

Every person has a unique connection to the Creator that can never be extinguished, and every person has a great soul that can manifest important things in our world. To make a person feel less than they are because of something inside themselves, be it faith, race, or sexual orientation, is the greatest sin of all."
  • OnduleeOndulee Posts: 1,264Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I use a very light gold/copper shimmer bronzer as eyeshadow and it disguises my crinkly lids. Just use it sparingly.

I get compliments on my great eyeshadow.
    shoulder length inverted bob; fine; 3A-3B; med-thick density; normal porosity; normal elasticity- my hair loves keratin, ACV, silk protein ,Curlkeeper and AG:Recoil ; seems to hate moisturizing products and oils except mineral oil; CG- Jan/'09-mod CG Sept/'09;CG again Jan/'10/mod CG from Mar'10

receive $10 off 1st order of $40 & up, or $5 off on smaller orders, when using iHERB code: GIK909
  • RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Posts: 31,258Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Always matte. Always, always, always. I don't let sparklies of any type, not even "pearl" finish, go anywhere on my crinkley lids. Also, I wear very pigmented deep/dark shadows...to help the little-skin-overlap-thing I've got visually recede (light colors visually bring things forward, dark colors visually make them recede)...and I bring up the dark color just past the lid crease, then blend it away well. I mostly skip the "highlight" color on the upper brow...too dated of a look. I do put a teeny bit of shimmer highlight color on my inner eyes...helps to brighten the whole eye.

Brands don't necessarily matter, but you won't find many highly-pigmented shadows in the drug store. Primers help keep shadow in place for women of any age. There are lots on the market.
  • LotsawavesLotsawaves Posts: 8,744Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Thanks, RCW. Some very good tips.
    From Michael Berg:

• rbbrbb Posts: 4,206Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    justajesuschick -- what do you like about too faced shadow primer over other primers?
    my eyelids are very fragile -- i guess i'm allergic to many eye shadows, can a few creme ones okay. for daytime use i generally was using either a primer, but am finding it too dry, now use concealer, then just line the lash line with an eye pencil (i've been using blue). i've been looking for a creme eyeshadow that is a cool tone tan color that is not sparkly, not having any luck.
    is the too faced shadow primer moist? or does it seem dry on your eyes? and, where do i buy it?

3a, some 2c & 3b, medium texture, porosity normal, low elasticity :-(
    washing/cowashing, conditioning, protein tx: curl junkie products
    leave in:curl junkie conditioners and treatments as leave in
    styling: curl junkie 
    sealants - jane carter nourish & shine
    I, too am allergic to many eyeshadows and ingedients. It took several trips to the derm with red, swollen and painful eyelids to discover that I am allergic to red dyes and even many "natural" ingredients. Don't get me started on mineral makeup! When I told doctor that it could not be that because it was natural, he reminded me that so was arsenic and poison ivy!!

I now have to avoid any shadows with red tones, purples, pinks and even some browns that have red undertones and then I am fine.

I have had NO issue with the Too Faced primer. It is very creamy and comes in a small squeeze tube. I get it at Sepohora but I am certain places like Ulta would carry it. It is like $17 for a tube but even with daily use I bet it lasts me a year, maybe.

I also know beauties who love MAC's Paint Pot in Painterly as a primer althogh I think it is a cream shadow.

HTH!!
    CG since 7/1/2010

i just went onto their website, could not find too faced eyeshadow primer, but when i put in a search for primer, it came up with shadow insurance. is this it?

• kasdenkasden Posts: 1,040Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I've been using Urban Decay Eyeshadow Primer Potion. It's really creamy and dries invisible. I tested the "Eden" colored one in a store - it has some color to it, so I think I'll try that one next. I really like the way it prevents my eyeshadow from creasing!

A friend of mine loaned me some Bobbi Brown long wear cream shadow she uses as a primer. It's SO thick - it's hard to apply and really hard to remove. I think pulling on your eyelids will make them more crinkly over time! I'm just saying...I think creamy is the way to go.
    2c/3a, fine, low-med porosity, below BSL, mod CG since 9/09

"I'm fairly certain that given a cape and a nice tiara, I could save the world." - Leigh Standley
    rbb wrote: »
    i just went onto their website, could not find too faced eyeshadow primer, but when i put in a search for primer, it came up with shadow insurance. is this it?

Yes. That is it!
    Here is a link:
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fsephora.com%2Fbrowse%2Fproduct.jhtml%3Fid%3DP202625%26amp%3BcategoryId%3DB70" class="Popup

You can read reviews there and also at makeupalley.com
    CG since 7/1/2010

thanks! i'm going to give it a try. i need a primer that is not drying.

• curlypearlcurlypearl Posts: 11,983Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Lotsawaves wrote: »
    Thanks, RCW. Some very good tips.

+1
    2/c Coarse hair med. density.
    Highly porous. Color over grey.
    I love all the Curl Junkie products. Still experimenting with gels and curl creams. Still hoping for 2nd day hair....
    Every day is a gift :flower:
  • Robin-in-FLRobin-in-FL Posts: 1,731Registered Users
    I avoided powder shadow for years and years, both because it dried me out and because I would rather use my fingers to apply and the sponge applicators get all messy.

But this ran out and in desperation I tried the powder shadow with a BRUSH instead of sponge applicator and do like this a lot. I just put moisturizer and foundation all over my face, including eyelids, so everything is well-hydrated, then powder shadow with a brush, and don't seem to be getting creases or drying out - I can't wear powder on my face but the shadows seem fine. I use the I-Mark ones from Avon.

And I don't find that matte looks better than a light shimmer. There seems to be a magical sort of "pantyhose" color that works very well.
    2c / C / iii (FIA)
    Med-Coarse, LowPorosity, NormalElast (LCLF)

Shoulder-Length now.

Wash: DevaCare Low Poo
    Detangle & Rinseout: Walgreens or Sally's Conditioning Balm (always)
    Leave-in: DevaCare OneC (budget choice is GFTN)
    Style: ReCoil & DevaCare Arc Angel (budget choices are HESMU or Got2BSpikedUp)

Henna!
    hmm, foundation is another idea for my eyelids. on rare occasions i can use a sort of tan color creme eyeshadow without a problem. i find the cremes are less irritating to my lids, don't know what is in the powders. plus, at my age, i need all the moisture i can get!!
    so i use concealer or eye primer as my color for daytime wear, and only add eyeliner near the lash line. i can use a blue one, and sometimes i can blurr it up further as a bit of eyeshadow.

• CoilyCoily Posts: 96Registered Users
    The highly pigmented shadows with primer are good, but another trick I use is dipping the brush/sponge or Q-tip with water tapping the excess water then applying the color. When I do it though I gently tap the color onto my lid. HTH
    4b/4c;
    combo hair: dry hair/oily scalp
  • matildagagematildagage Posts: 8Registered Users
    I generally use matte shadow for the lid and then a shimmery highlighter for under the brow.

I can never find one that doesn't crease after 10 hours or so.
    bumping this thread to share about clinique's new eyeshadows, chubby stick eyeshadows. they look like a very thick crayon, tip is rounded, about a 1/3" in diameter..
    they go on smoothly, never crease, stay on all day. i bought one last week and loved it so much i bought two more colors.
    and, they don't irritate my eyelids!!

• jeepcurlygurljeepcurlygurl Posts: 19,739Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Virtuoso
    I love powder eye shadow and would own a hundred colors, but I've yet to find one that doesn't make my eyes water.
    So now I use waterproof eye crayons. My favorites are from Mally Beauty and Urban Decay.
    --I'm located in Western PA.
    --I found NC in late 2004, CG since February 2005, joined the forums in May 2005, started going grey in late 2005.
    --My hair is 3B with some 3A, currently at mid back length when dry,  texture-medium/fine, porosity-top is low, middle is medium, ends are porous, elasticity-normal.
    --My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, coconut oil, honey, vinegar.
    --My CG and grey hair progress -- http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/going-gray/179328-jeepys-grey-hair-progress.html
    --My article at NaturallyCurly about going grey. Yes, it's in the senior section. : / -- https://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/seniors/how-i-went-completely-gray-and-loved-it
  • 2poodles2poodles Posts: 2,481Registered Users Curl Novice
    rbb wrote: »
    bumping this thread to share about clinique's new eyeshadows, chubby stick eyeshadows. they look like a very thick crayon, tip is rounded, about a 1/3" in diameter..
    they go on smoothly, never crease, stay on all day. i bought one last week and loved it so much i bought two more colors.
    and, they don't irritate my eyelids!!

rbb - which colors did you get?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]2Poodles :flower: Southeast PA
    fine, med porosity, normal elasticity
    Currently using the following 2 - 3 x/week:
    Living Proof Perfect Hair Day suphate-free Poo, cone-free CO and styling treatment, plus KCCC

• curlypearlcurlypearl Posts: 11,983Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    RBB - thanks! I'm going to try that Clinique eystick that you mention. Good thread!
    2/c Coarse hair med. density.
    Highly porous. Color over grey.
    I love all the Curl Junkie products. Still experimenting with gels and curl creams. Still hoping for 2nd day hair....
    Every day is a gift :flower:
    2poodles -- i started out with lots o' latte, kind of a taupe, cool tone. it looks very different on your eyes from your hands when you try it. i bought it on the sale's woman's recommendation -- love it! it's probably going to be my usual one.
    then i added massive midnight, which looks dark but isn't on the eyelids, it's blue and a little dressy, and also got bountiful beige, which is very light and good for those days when you want a 'no makeup' look.

they all do not crease, all stay on all day, and they are not a shimmer, but nicer than a matte in that they make my eyelids look moisturized, not greasy.

it's hard to pick out the colors on computer or even at store, have to try it on hand, then just go with it. i cannot wear powder eyeshadows, they irritate my eyelids in a very bad way, and it's difficult to find cream eyeshadows, few colors and they always crease on me, and then they dry out in container. these are perfect!

curlypearl, let me know what you think. (fyi -- the colors are not as dark as they seem on your hand, go on a little lighter on lid. and, you can layer and mix two.)

• StarmieStarmie Posts: 6,756Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Are crayons easy to blend? I'm not good with make-up (and lazy, if I'm honest) and always thought crayons would somehow be awkward to use. I'm getting bad creasing with powders though these days, and those Clinique ones sound pretty good.
    3b in South Australia.
    Starmie wrote: »
    Are crayons easy to blend? I'm not good with make-up (and lazy, if I'm honest) and always thought crayons would somehow be awkward to use. I'm getting bad creasing with powders though these days, and those Clinique ones sound pretty good.

it's not the same dry texture as a crayon, the clinique chubby sticks are creamy, very easy to use, they blend well. in fact, i find them easier to use than cream eyeshadows.
    i never tried the ones jeepy uses, i didn't even know they existed til i read her post, but i imagine it's along the same line.

• jeepcurlygurljeepcurlygurl Posts: 19,739Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Virtuoso
    Yes, these are fat creamy crayons, but since they're waterproof they are a little stiffer than regular crayons and you have to blend them before they dry. Not hard to do or anything, just a thing to remember with waterproof.
    --I'm located in Western PA.
    --I found NC in late 2004, CG since February 2005, joined the forums in May 2005, started going grey in late 2005.
    --My hair is 3B with some 3A, currently at mid back length when dry,  texture-medium/fine, porosity-top is low, middle is medium, ends are porous, elasticity-normal.
    --My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, coconut oil, honey, vinegar.
    --My CG and grey hair progress -- http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/going-gray/179328-jeepys-grey-hair-progress.html
    --My article at NaturallyCurly about going grey. Yes, it's in the senior section. : / -- https://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/seniors/how-i-went-completely-gray-and-loved-it
  • StarmieStarmie Posts: 6,756Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Ok, thanks. I've never even used cream shadows before so I think I might be in for a bit of a practice session. It's a pain when things start changing (when it's not for the better) I don't do well with change!
    3b in South Australia.
  • 2poodles2poodles Posts: 2,481Registered Users Curl Novice
    Thanks, rbb - I'm going to check them out. I'm so thankful that I finally found a mascara that doesn't make my eyes red and teary - now I'm on the hunt for a non-irritating eyeshadow!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]2Poodles :flower: Southeast PA
    fine, med porosity, normal elasticity
    Currently using the following 2 - 3 x/week:
    Living Proof Perfect Hair Day suphate-free Poo, cone-free CO and styling treatment, plus KCCC

• FrizzBgoneFrizzBgone Posts: 2,678Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I love Bobbi Brown shadows. If you try the long wear cream shadows it is worth buying the brush with it. It goes on effortlessly with the brush - no tugging or pulling. I have never had any trouble removing it with a good eye makeup remover. My favourite eye makeup remover is Shiseido lip and eye makeup remover and Lancôme Bifacils.

If you are able to go to a cosmetic counter, like Bobbi Brown, I find the SA's very well trained and helpful. It was a Bobbi SA that taught me how to apply eye shadow - I was in my 40's!!

Laura Mercier is another line that has great products.

Sent from my iPhone using CurlTalk
    Type: 3a fine & dense,with normal porosity, terrible product junkie
    ROUTINE: LI, enhancer, gel, plop with Curlease towel, serum product (either CIAB or Gel-les'c), clip & diffuse.
    Too many favourite products to list ... I finally have my routine that works and alot of products to choose from. My product stash is huge, but well loved !!!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file