What's so bad about glycerin?

From my understanding, glycerin in a humectant. Humectants can moisturize your hair, but can be bad if the dews are too high or too low. Glycerin is only one of several kinds of humectants.

So why is glycerin worse than the others? In very dry weather, is it okay to use a condish with humectants as long you avoid glycerin? Is it even possible to find a conditioner with NO humectants? And what's an anti-humectant any way?

So many questions.

Comments

• curlyhairmichukcurlyhairmichuk Posts: 860Registered Users
    cambed wrote: »
    From my understanding, glycerin in a humectant. Humectants can moisturize your hair, but can be bad if the dews are too high or too low. Glycerin is only one of several kinds of humectants.

So why is glycerin worse than the others? In very dry weather, is it okay to use a condish with humectants as long you avoid glycerin? Is it even possible to find a conditioner with NO humectants? And what's an anti-humectant any way?

So many questions.

Hi cambed - I don't think glycerin is worse than the others its just that its one of those ingredients that your hair sort of loves/hates/can tolerate a little. It does encourage moisture into the hair and for some curlies (me for example who has quite porous hair) the moisture comes in and goes out and I can get some frizz. For me glycerin is ok if its down a bit on the ingredients list. Also, if there is not a lot of moisture in the air, glycerin can suck moisture out of your scalp and hair and so give it a dry yucky feeling. An anti-humectant is something that helps to stop moisture getting into your hair like a butter or pomade - something to sort of seal the hair. You can get products without glycerin one that springs to mind is Darcy's botanicals - they have some glycerin free products. HTH
    UK curly

fine to medium strands, porous, medium density
    CG May 2009 - low poo occasionally
    Co-wash: Tresemme Naturals
    Styling -Naked Curl Defining Cream, BRHG, Mop Top, FSG
    Product for a good hair day: FSG or Mop Top
    Hair loves protein!
    http://public.fotki.com/curlyhairmichuk/
    new pics added Jan 2012

Enjoying the freedom of going curly!:wave:
    Duchess of Alba, Keeper of the Tartan Curls in The Order of the Curly Crusaders
  • DEL2CDEL2C Posts: 6,418Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    glycerin sure gets a bad rap...........You really need to experiment for yourself. I've been able to use a lot of stylers with glycerin in all sorts of temps but have to avoid others as well. I have never noticed a difference in my condish whether it has glycerin or not. In the Summer too much glycerin can make my hair expand or it feels sort of coated and weighed down. In the Winter I can get these flyaway dry pieces but, if I use a leave in condish a lot of times it takes care of that problem too.
    Discovered CG 2007

2C Fia BSL/Thick/Med-Coarse/Low(crown)-Normal Porosity Protein and Oil Sensitive

Link-Spritz & Condish Washing:glasses7:

I'm aCurlJunkieJunky :love4:

My hair LOVES Coconut DESPISES Soap Bars :tongue6:

CJRehab or H&B Fix, Deva NO POO, EO Rose & Cham POO & Condish, CJ CurlFix, CJ Pattern Pusha, CJ CIAB, SS FHG, KCCC, BRHG, AG Mousse Gel, ACV Rinses,Shikakai Conditioning Hair Rinse.
  • curlysue21curlysue21 Posts: 5,219Registered Users
    I was just researching glycerin issues the other day so thanks for posting this. :) I never got CK to work for me and I also was using lots of ecostyler and my hair started looking kind of dry.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]2b/c, medium/high porosity, medium/coarse texture
    Current HG: Kinky Curly errythang, GVPCB, LALSG

"I will never be the woman with perfect hair, who can wear white and not spill on it."

• pedahehpedaheh Posts: 4,812Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Curl chemist article on anti-humectants and humidity
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/ingredients/humidity-humectants-and-the-dew-point

For some, glycerin causes "flash drying". Glycerin pulls out all of the water from the hair causing it to be instantly dry. These people need to avoid glycerin like the plague.

Here is my personal experience: In low dews I need to avoid glycerin in most products that are left on my hair (leave in conditioners and stylers). I can use other humectants, depending on the formulation. I assume this is because glycerin is more "humectanty", but I have no idea. I'm not a scientist.
    http://pedaheh.blogspot.com/ (a blog to help new wavies, go to the how do I get started page)
    2a (nc.com) 2bFi (Fia), very fine, thin, low/normal elasticity, porous, CG, doesn't get weighed down
    Cowash: Tresemme naturals
    Rinse out/leave in: Renpure Organics (red)
    Curl enhancer: FSG
    Gel: BRHG, Salon care aloe, Ecostyler Krystal (normal dews)
    PT: ION effective care, IAgirl's gelatin PT
    Low Poo: renpure (red), Ion swimmers
  • FairlyCurlyFairlyCurly Posts: 839Registered Users
    Do people generally have the same problem with aloe as they do with glycerin? I tried three products that had aloe at the top of the list and all of them gave me the "flash dry on contact" problem, but I'm not ruling out other possible causes.
    3a/3b, Fine, low porosity.
  • LilaGirlLilaGirl Posts: 1,177Registered Users
    bump
    3b/fine/normal porosity/normal elasticity

LOVES behentrimonium methosulfate
    (don't ask me to pronounce that!)

Want to grow it long again!
    And simply want to figure out this hair of mine!
  • CurlieTopCurlieTop Posts: 345Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    All hair reacts differently. Personally, I've narrowed down the cause of my hair's recent dryness to California dry weather + protein and glycerin in products. After cutting out all products based on those ingredients from my regimen (and using only aloe based products) my hair has regained its softness, moisture, and shine. But aloe doesn't work for everyone. It's all experimentation.
    ~ curlie top ~
    2C in back, 3A in front, fine to medium texture
    Last time I blow fried: Spring 2011
    Last time I flat ironed: Fall 2010
    Posting and You - A must watch
  • rymorg2rymorg2 Posts: 2,571Registered Users
    Glycerin isn't good or bad, but it's certainly YMMV. My hair can only handle glycerin in mid dews....highs and lows make it a veritable no no. Though some products with glycerin I can use in those times still, go figure. You just have to figure it out through trial and error.
    Cosmetology Educator with sensitivities, eczema and Seborrheic Dermatitis.
    Low poo: looking
    COWash: Eden, cheapo condish, CJDF
    RO: varies
    Protein: CJCF or CJRM
    DT: CJHBDF, CJCR, DBPC
    LI: varies, usually KCKT
    Stylers: KCCC, CRNCM, UFDCM, Curls gel, ecostyler

Lady Karaan, High Priestess of Hayr Tretements in the Order of Curly Crusaders
    Fotki updated 10/12/10 Password: wavy
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • cambedcambed Posts: 101Registered Users
    I recognize that glycerin can be good for some hair and not for others, I was more wondering why glycerin is singled out among all the humectants as a possible ingredient to avoid? CurlMart label things "glycerin-free", but there is not "hyaluronic acid-free" of "erythritol-free" category. Is that just because glycerin is more common or because glycerin tends to cause more problems? Or is it just because glycerin is easier to spell and pronounce? ;-)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file