Before/After for Wavies

Comments

• 2AonaGoodDay2AonaGoodDay Posts: 20Registered Users
    I have to say, this thread is massively encouraging.
    It's also making me realize that I really do need to grow my hair longer - a lot of the pics show y'all whose hair only really starts getting wavy when it's longer than shoulder length. It was pointed out to me only a year or so ago that the annoying 'flip' at the end of my chin length bob was in fact the start of a wave. It's insane that had never occurred to me before.

So it's a little longer than chin length now, I found a deva-trained stylist who specializes in curly hair, cuts it dry and pays a lot of attention to how IT wants to be. Not one who wants me to impose my will on it with a flatiron.

Thanks everyone for sharing your pictures!
    Hair type: 2a (obv), fine, porous. Not really wavy, definitely not straight. Chin length. About 50% gray, so I color monthly.

Lopoo/Shampoo:
    *Deva No-Poo *Shea Moisture Retention (kinda heavy though) * Yes to Carrots

Conditioners:
    *Natures Gate herbal * Suave Coconut * GVP cond balm * Shea Moisture
  • pinzpinz Posts: 8Registered Users
    I have to say, this thread is massively encouraging.
    It's also making me realize that I really do need to grow my hair longer - a lot of the pics show y'all whose hair only really starts getting wavy when it's longer than shoulder length. It was pointed out to me only a year or so ago that the annoying 'flip' at the end of my chin length bob was in fact the start of a wave.

This is exactly where I am! I've had a chin-length bob most of the time for the past 15 years - then reading the CG book (the new edition) she mentions that wavies may be on a diet of too-frequent/too-short hair cuts. Growing it out is so painful but I'm hopeful that I can stick with it now that I am learning how to work WITH my waves.
  • IAgirlIAgirl Posts: 2,540Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Okay, my turn. First, when I decided my waves didn't have to be hidden (about a year ago). iagirl-albums-before-after-picture594-w-hair-sm.jpg
    Then I decided to cut in some layers (not too practiced): iagirl-albums-before-after-picture595-july25-sm.jpg
    Then I got some more layers, but still wasn't getting results I wanted from styling and not even sure what I wanted: iagirl-albums-before-after-picture596-oct-2-sm.jpgNow shorter and I think I'm getting the hang of this styling and cutting and admitting that I actually do care how my hair looks! iagirl-albums-before-after-picture597-sm-fpsg.jpg ( I swear these were bouncier curls that were killed by a dose of extreme humidity). And now that you've seen my towels, how do you like my shower curtain? iagirl-albums-different-gels-picture422-fpsg-plus-i.jpg
    Wow, totally pic-happy. I'll go hide in a corner now.
  • SiennaScarlettSiennaScarlett Posts: 12Registered Users
    Pretty hair, LAgirl!
    I think I may have 3a hair after all

DSC_0020.jpg

Still recovering from protein-overload (my hair loathes it! :ncool:)
  • Wavy BrunetteWavy Brunette Posts: 111Registered Users
    Images removed due to privacy issues...
    2b , waves and some spirals
    Med/Fine Texture, Normal Porosity, Low Elasticity

Sulfate/Silicone Free Since Jan 2011 :)

Low Poo- CJ Curl Assurance, SM Moisture Retention Shampoo
    RO - Y2C, CJ Beauticurls, GVPCB, SM Restorative Conditioner,
    Stylers- Homemade FSG, KCC, BRHG
    HG Techniques- Spritz and Condish, Icequeen method, plopping
    Had a picture here that had face in it and decided to take it out.

• CurlyCanadian11CurlyCanadian11 Posts: 125Registered Users
    Before deva
    ad20dd3b-15ae-e553.jpg
    ad20dd3b-15cb-7f07.jpg

After deva
    ad20dd3b-15ff-35c9.jpg
    ad20dd3b-160e-b6e6.jpg

Fight the frizz!!
    2c/3a
    recovering from a chemically straightened nightmare!!
    Going back to my roots (literally!) CG since Aug 2011
    Fine, Thin, damaged, very porous, some elasticity.
    Cleanse:no poo
    Condish: one condition
    Style: Angel, B'leave in
    DT:Heaven in Hair!
    Spritz and Condish!!
    MY NEW HG: FSG and bent root clips with HESMEU hairspray flexible hold
  • catmandocatmando Posts: 12Registered Users
    Here are my first CG pictures after hair cut from last week:
    fresh washed:

2nd day:

May back is also not so wavy as my front. I think my hair need much more moisture.

I stopped washing my hair with sulfate shampoo after hair cut in February. My hairdresser said I have some waves in my hair and I could have maybe more waves. So I searched for ways to get more wavy hair and I found CG :blob2:

Last week I had again a hair cut (normal hair cut, Deva hair cut is here not very known) and now is my hair so soft and wavy :love7:
    german wavy - sorry for my bad english - I am still learning
    from straight hair to 2a
    low-poo: Alverde healing earth
    CO wash: Alverde hibiscus/aloe vera condish
    LI: Alverde hibiscus/aloe vera condish diluted with watter

• wavyonewavyone Posts: 219Registered Users
    I straightened my hair for probably 15 years, until my hair seemed to be getting wavier and wavier. I read about CG online and decided to give it a try. It is still a struggle at this point (after about 7 weeks CG), because I think my hair is really damaged from highlighting and flat ironing. However, there are enough good hair days for me to keep hope. I enjoy being able to let my hair air dry. However, not sure yet what I will do come winter (I guess diffuse).

Pic 1 is when I stopped straightening my hair, did a final sulfate wash and DT and let it air dry. Pic 2 is more recent.
    2a or b, highlighted, fine hair but lots of it
    Modified CG since 6/11

Low Poo: CJ Daily Fix
    Co-Wash: DevaCurl No Poo
    Rinse Out: CJ Beauticurls Strengthening Conditioner or Deva One C
    DT: CJ Rehab
    Stylers: Deva Heaven in Hair as a Leave-in, followed by Arc Angel
    SOTC: CJ CIAB
  • wavynwild16wavynwild16 Posts: 2,121Registered Users
    WavyBrunette, your hair looks stunning!! Awesome transformation!! :D You, too, IAgirl!! :) I love your hair. It always looks so silky smooth and soft.

Everyone else looks amazing, too!! Looking at this thread is amazing...everyone's come so far! :)
    Type 2c/3a with lots of hair and a super sensitive scalp! Med/slightly coarse texture, low porosity and elasticity.

Favorite...
    Low poo: Organix TTM, Essential Wholesale Free & Clean
    RO/LI: TN, GFTN, YTC
    Stylers: EcoStylers, GF Curl Shaping Gel, Aussie Aussome Volume Mousse & Instant Freeze Gel, GFPC, LALNC, La Bella Lots of Curls, Apricot Oil, KMFUM, AO B5DG
    Extras: sugar scrubs, AVG washes, pre-poos with EVCO, oiling scalp before washes, plopping, gelatin PT.
    Mod-CG since 12/1/10! :happy7:
    Thanks wavynwild! :) I really love seeing how far people have come in this thread. IAgirl I adore your hair also! Beautiful!

• LahomajayneLahomajayne Posts: 127Registered Users
    Here are some pics of my hair - before when I was still trying to torture it into being "straight" (which as you can see from the pics it never was - it was just frizzy on the ends, unmanageable with bumpy waves in the middle) I thought it was just my fate to have unmanageable hair so I would brush it...even while wet, blow dry it, leave it naked with no leave in conditioner or product just to punish it for being so awful! The other pics are just 3 days of CG treatment - I am starting to think that over time I may not actually be a 2B as the curl starts to set in more. At the present it is so much prettier with some TLC and without the blow dryer!
    Super wavy and wurly curly! Fiii,fairly non-porous, inelastic
    Colorado Curly - low dew points & low humidity!
    Organix Cherry Ginseng and DevaCurl low poo/condish
    KCKT leave in, Naturelle Gel
    Joimist or Aussie Sprunch Spray
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I have KLINGON HAIR :D

My hair likes IAgirls PT!
    I have celiac disease - no wheat please!
    OMG Lahomajayne, your last picture is beautiful! Wow, I love your soft waves. They look so healthy.
    Modified CG since 6/11

Thanks! It has taken me a long time to figure out that I had to be nice to my hair for it to be nice to me :D
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• dgprocessdgprocess Posts: 63Registered Users
    Thanks! It has taken me a long time to figure out that I had to be nice to my hair for it to be nice to me :D

Love this quote, Lahomajayne! And so true, too. I used to fight my wave and so put in straightener, blow dried with a round brush (unsuccessfully, I might add), and used the curling iron to straighten and flip. Sometimes I would walk around with the "burnt hair" smell all day!

My hair is much happier now that I use all natural products and don't pull it and fry it.
    2b, oily scalp, dry hair, thick (iii), medium texture, medium porosity,low elasticity- prone to canopy frizz!
    modified CG since 8/29/10
    currently using:
    low-poo: DevaCurl Low Poo (in summer)
    no-poo: DevaCurl No Poo (in winter)
    co-wash and LI: DevaCurl One Condition
    styler: DevaCurl AnGEL (in winter), Nancy Boy gel (in summer- has no glycerin)
    Pixie diffuse upside down til just damp, clip the hell out of it, and let air dry (or use bonnet dryer), SOTC
  • leonieeleoniee Posts: 8Registered Users
    I see more curls!!! :happy7:
    Modified CG since 6/11

• lcl0706lcl0706 Posts: 959Registered Users
    IAgirl I ADORE your wave pattern. Total curl envy. I know my wave pattern is not loopy and big like that but it does give me more motivation/confidence to cut mine. Especially after today's disaster I noticed how scraggly my ends look and how desperately it needs the old, fried inches off. Just not quite sure how my curl pattern would react to shorter hair.
    :wave: fine, thin, normal/(low?) porosity. Mod-CG. Usually I can't co-wash more than 1x a week, & sometimes I have to use T-Gel in rotation due to scalp issues.

Co-wash: VO5 Volumizing
    Poo: Giovanni 50:50
    RO:TN, Nexxus Youth Renewal, Alba Coconut
    LI: KCKT
    PT: gelatin PT, ION EC
    Stylers: Giovanni mousse, TIGI Curls Rock amplifier (a-cone), Curls Rock Strong Hold Mousse
    Gels: SCC spray gel

hairsiggy-4-1.jpg
    It is interesting seeing my post from a month ago! I wasn't as thrilled with the results as I am now. Probably should have waited to post! Here are updated pics.
    Modified CG since 6/11

4 days no cones plus a deva cut!
    I have a fine layer of frizz and a lot of my curls can't seem to get it together, and they don't clump up well, but its probably because they were butchered by my last stylist with a razor blade and thinning shears! After a few trims by my new lady she says I should see a huge difference in my curls ability to pull itself together :)

Before and after (sorry hair still damp in after pics)
    I am just excited to see actual curls starting to form inside the mess!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• ailin85ailin85 Posts: 137Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    heidi wrote: »
    Here are mine, after two months of CG. There may still be room for imporvement :wink: but if not, that's just fine.
    Most of my pre-CG hair didn't look quite like this, the shampoo/conditioner combo I'd been using didn't agree with my hair at all. It did inspire be to get back on the CG wagon though :lol:.
    Before June 24th:
    6-24-2.jpg?t=1283367472
    And Today:
    9-1-1.jpg?t=1283367780

Wow! Your hair is gorgeous! What a change...btw you look like Kate Winslet ;)

Sent from my SGH-T959 using CurlTalk App
    A|G
    "iron clothes not hair"
    2b (blonde highlights)

Products
    :
    Trying them all! So far, not settling down... FL is a challenge!

*Modified CG since Feb'2011
  • wavechaserwavechaser Posts: 33Registered Users
    look how gorgeous your hair is now! How far you have come! Hopefully I will be able to say the same thing in a few months :)
    Hair Type: 2b/2c

Cleansers: DevaCurl No Poo; Jessicurl Gentle Lather
    R/O Conditioner: DevaCurl One Condition
    L/I Conditioner: KCKT
    Stylers: SSCEJ, Re:Coil, DevaCurl Arc Angel, DevaCurl Set Up and Above
    Finishers: DevaCurl Set Up and Above, Ouidad Clear Control Pomade, Ouidad Finishing Mist

I have found that scrunching my gel into damp, not soaking wet hair makes a world of difference for me.:thumbright:
  • wednesdaywednesday Posts: 53Registered Users
    First one is straight hair, second is "curly" (frizzy,) and the third is CG :)
    -Straight hair until 4/11
    -Started CG 12/26/11

Co-wash/RO/LI: Beautiful Curls Leave-In Conditioner for Wavy to Curly Hair
    Gel: Beautiful Curls Hair Gel

Routine...
    -cowash/condition/leave-in condition
    -comb hair
    -supersoak and apply KCCC
    -plop for 15-20 min
    -plop a pineapple overnight
    -just pineapple for second day hair

Short 2b and growing out!
    Thanks for reading :)
  • cmimocmimo Posts: 27Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    #1 straightened
    #2 early attempts at wavy
    #3 after going mod-curly girl for a few weeks :toothy5:
    Clean: SM Moisture Retention Shampoo
    Condition: SM Restorative Conditioner, Ion Effective Care Treatment, GVP Conditioning Balm
    Style: AIACJ, L'Oreal Everstyle Strong Hold Defining Gel, BRHG
  • jakrussel3jakrussel3 Posts: 423Registered Users
    Still trying out different techniques and trying to get better waves. I feel kind of frizzy and I feel like I HAVE to pixie diffuse 50-75% dry using gel to "freeze" the wave in place so they don't stretch out while air drying. I am waiting on results from hair analysis before buying more products. :)

My before photo was taken about 10 months before going CG. Went CG early January 2012. The other 2 photos show my progression. The last photo was taken today.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Hair Properties: 2A/2B, Medium-fine, Normal porosity, Normal elasticity, Medium density
    Low Poo: DevaCare, Yes to Cuc's
    Rinse Out: DevaCare One Condition, Yes to Cuc's
    Cowash: Suave Naturals Lavender, Yes to Carrots Scalp Conditioner
    Curl Cream: AG ReCoil, Organix Moroccan Oil Curl Cream
    Gel/Mousse: Sweet Curls Elixirs FSG w/ Mag Sulfate added, Sweet Curls Elixirs hard hold gel, DevaCurl Frizz Free Foam, Aquage Uplifting Foam
    Protein: Spiral Solutions Protein Spray for daily use
    I'll play. First pic is a year ago maybe and one Ive posted in a couple before/after threads before...on a rare day I tried to style it "curly" - probably raked in copious amounts of cone-filled mousse & air dried. I was so used to calling it curly & fighting the mental image of my childhood ringlets & frizz that it wasnt until after I went mod-CG that I could tell how much damage I'd done. I keep this pic on my phone to remind me how far I've come. Second pic is today :-D Keeps getting better - especially in the past couple months - the longest I've gone without a flat iron & now I dont even want to anymore!

Sent from my PG06100 using CurlTalk App
    :wave: fine, thin, normal/(low?) porosity. Mod-CG. Usually I can't co-wash more than 1x a week, & sometimes I have to use T-Gel in rotation due to scalp issues.

Stylers: Giovanni mousse, TIGI Curls Rock amplifier (a-cone), Curls Rock Strong Hold Mousse

hairsiggy-4-1.jpg
    cmimo wrote: »
    #1 straightened
    #2 early attempts at wavy
    #3 after going mod-curly girl for a few weeks :toothy5:

HUGE difference in that 3rd pic! Beautiful!!

Sent from my PG06100 using CurlTalk App

hairsiggy-4-1.jpg
  • ItsybitsygbugItsybitsygbug Posts: 10Registered Users
    I've tried a modified version of curly girl a couple of times with mixed results and decided to return to it a couple of days ago. I'm following things more closely this time and my hair seems to be responding well.

The photos are: 2008, late February of this year following my last haircut, last Friday with second day hair (not following curly girl, this is actually straighter than my non-cg texture because I slept on it), and me last night after a protein treatment and my second full day of cg.

My hair is mostly medium in texture and there's a lot of it. The shortest layer in the back is about mid-ear, and the longest is a bit past my chin.
  • jakrussel3jakrussel3 Posts: 423Registered Users
    gandthebug, LOVE the last photos of your hair right after the protein treatment. I wish I could get my hair to do that while short. :)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Hair Properties: 2A/2B, Medium-fine, Normal porosity, Normal elasticity, Medium density
    Low Poo: DevaCare, Yes to Cuc's
    Rinse Out: DevaCare One Condition, Yes to Cuc's
    Cowash: Suave Naturals Lavender, Yes to Carrots Scalp Conditioner
    Curl Cream: AG ReCoil, Organix Moroccan Oil Curl Cream
    Gel/Mousse: Sweet Curls Elixirs FSG w/ Mag Sulfate added, Sweet Curls Elixirs hard hold gel, DevaCurl Frizz Free Foam, Aquage Uplifting Foam
    Protein: Spiral Solutions Protein Spray for daily use
  • bluebonnetbluebonnet Posts: 82Registered Users
    Ok here goes.

faceshotnakedhair-1.jpg A couple years ago. Hair was washed (no conditioner even, what?!), brushed out, then air dried. I'm surprised it had any curl after all that, lol. This is how I used to "be natural". I thought I just had weird, "straight" hair.

April06013.jpg This second pic is how I usually wore my hair - it took oil, round brushes, blow drying, and flat irons to get it like that.

My signature pics are from March, so what my hair usually looks like now. Big change! When I first started wearing my hair curly, people thought I got a perm, even my own parents. I only see them twice a year and they thought I got a perm, because I had always worked hard to keep it straight before. My husband had to convince them I was telling the truth! :lol:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    CG 4/13/2012
    med-coarse texture/med density/low porosity
    (2c/3a)
    Clarifying: TJ TTT shampoo
    Cowash: VO5 clarifying kiwi lime, Suave daily clarifying
    RO: SN or Tresemme naturals, TJ TTT
    LI: SN or VO5
    Styling: Gels - HESMU, AAV; John Frieda & HETT mousse; TIGI Curl Booster, FX Curl Booster * Fan of plopping & diffusing

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file