AG Mousse Gel. Wavy chicks-have you tried this?

justajesuschickjustajesuschick Posts: 1,657Registered Users Curl Neophyte
This keeps intriguing me. I have seen very little about this but what I have read seems mixed. Love it or meh.

Do you have this as an option in your line up? I'd LOVE to hear your thoughts!
I'm 47. Straight hair until 6/2010. THANKS, thyroid!
2b, medium-fine, normal-low porosity, medium density and elasticity
CG since 7/1/2010

Cleanse: Abba Color Protect
Condition: DevaCurl OC
LI: CJ-Deep Fix, Beauticurls LI
Curl Enhancer: CHS Curl Keeper, KCCC
Gel: Alba Strong Hold Gel, BRHG, Hugo Naturals Gel, SS FHG, CJPP
Trying/Maybe: Ecostyler, CJRM

Comments

• heidiheidi Posts: 243Registered Users
    It's the only styler I'm using right now and I love it!
    It's really working great for me. I add it over my LI and plop for a little while and then just airdry. There is no crunch, it dries soft, so I don't have to touch my hair at all. And my hair gets curlier as the day goes on, by bedtime I have finger sized ringlets everywhere.
    I get great shine, bounce and soft, natural feeling hair.
    Medium-fine Texture, Normal Porosity, Normal Elasticity, Thick Density
    Co-wash: Renpure Body&Shine
    RO: Kenra Moisturizing Conditioner
    LI/Curl Enhancer: Kenra Moisturizing Conditioner
    Other: I'll add a little AG Mousse Gel if I want something extra.
  • leonita poraleonita pora Posts: 175Registered Users
    I was wondering the same thing when I saw that heidi was using it and getting good results!

I'm very intrigued... several years ago mousse was the only product I used. It's only been in the past few years that I have been forced to experiment with different types of products. I'd be curious to see how this works for other wavies, especially fine-haired ones with lots of it (like myself).
    Fia: 2b-2c/Fine-Medium/iii (Thick)
    Low-Poo: Giovanni 50/50 Balanced Shampoo, Shampoo bars
    Co-Wash: Trader Joe's Refresh, CJ Daily Fix, CFT Creamy Curl Cleanser
    Rinse-out: Trader Joe's Nourish, GFTN, Aubrey Organics GPB
    Leave-in/Curl Creme: Marie Dean Curly Styling Creme
    Gel: BRHG, homemade FSG, CJ Curl Queen, Deva AnGel
    Hair likes: Protein, FSG, high dewpoints
    Hair dislikes: coconut oil on dry hair
  • justajesuschickjustajesuschick Posts: 1,657Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I think that I will break down and buy it tonight. Beauty Brands is having a "Girls Night Out" event where they will have some free samples and such.

If I get by there to get it, I will use it tonight and report back!
    CG since 7/1/2010

• curlywurlygurlycurlywurlygurly Posts: 1,180Registered Users
    out of interest heidi have you used other mousse with good results or just this one. I personally haven't had much luck with mousse, is all.
    2 something Australian :toothy4:

http://public.fotki.com/curlywurlygurly/
    pw:aussie

Aiming to grow hair to waist from buzz cut - slowly but surely.
    Mousse is something I've played with off and on for years. It's one of those products that stylist have always suggested to me, so I'd buy whatever they were promoting. None of them ever did anything for me though.
    I liked the sound of "Mousse Gel" so I figured I've give this one a shot and see what happened.
    Joico Joiwhip was also great for hold and curl enhancement but my hair didn't like if after 5-6 uses. Left my ends dry and frizzy. :hmph: It would have been nice to have had two to rotate.
    I bought it. Going in to wash my hair now. Will report my first experience. My hair is famous for liking change. It likes everything the first 2 or 3 times and then becomes fickle.
    This is why I can really not claim anything as a HG yet.
    Back soon!!
    CG since 7/1/2010

Hmmm. That is my assessment.
    When I came home, I applied the mousse to dry ends and quickly diffused and I had CURLS! I was excited.

So, washed as usual, applied what I thought was a lot of mousse gel and began diffusing. I knew immediately that it was not working.
    My hair looked limp and straight! So, I spritzed and added my hair savior, BRHG (why must I be so dependent on you??) really watered down and finished diffusing. My hair looks like my hair again.

I have to say that I like that my hair does not look or feel greasy, dirty or frankly even very wet. Very little to SOTC. I will be eager to see how it looks in the morning. I may add some more mousse in the morning and hope for the look I had when applied to dry hair. I think this may be worth keeping but I think that I will have to add something to it to get the hld and look I want.

Why, oh, why can I not just find one product that does the trick all by itself?? haha!
    CG since 7/1/2010

• curlywurlygurlycurlywurlygurly Posts: 1,180Registered Users
    Interesting.. pitty it's not readily available here otherwise I might give it a go. (probably good in a way too though!)
    2 something Australian :toothy4:

http://public.fotki.com/curlywurlygurly/
    pw:aussie

Aiming to grow hair to waist from buzz cut - slowly but surely.
    That may keep you out of trouble!

Hey-O/T, my beautiful daughter-in-law has dual citizenship, U.S. and Australian. She just gave birth to my precious granddaughter, Matilda. I'll be changing my phone ringtone to Waltzing Matilda so that will be the song that plays when it is them calling me! I adore my DDIL and her love of Vegamite!
    CG since 7/1/2010

• plunkybugplunkybug Posts: 2,526Registered Users
    Hmmm. That is my assessment.
    When I came home, I applied the mousse to dry ends and quickly diffused and I had CURLS! I was excited.

So, washed as usual, applied what I thought was a lot of mousse gel and began diffusing. I knew immediately that it was not working.
    My hair looked limp and straight! So, I spritzed and added my hair savior, BRHG (why must I be so dependent on you??) really watered down and finished diffusing. My hair looks like my hair again.

I have to say that I like that my hair does not look or feel greasy, dirty or frankly even very wet. Very little to SOTC. I will be eager to see how it looks in the morning. I may add some more mousse in the morning and hope for the look I had when applied to dry hair. I think this may be worth keeping but I think that I will have to add something to it to get the hld and look I want.

Why, oh, why can I not just find one product that does the trick all by itself?? haha!

Might be a nice 2nd day hair refresher?

Lady Caiside, Noble Lushetarian and Wavy Wayfarer of Mugglswick, in the Order of the Curly Crusaders

2b-3a Fii, porous and low elasticity

Currently using a variety of products, and looking for that magic combo

Hair bio: http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/showpost.php?p=1252125&postcount=59

Well, looks it won't work for your wet hair like it does mine :sad3:. It says on the can that for stronger hold you should airdry, so maybe diffusing weakend the hold too much? (or just wasn't enough to start with since BRGH seems to be key for you). No reason you can't use it on dry hair though if you had good results.
    If your hair ends up not liking it I'll take it off your hands ;-)
    I still think there is promise. I wonder if I need to dry my hair more with a CLU cloths before applying. I have been used to gelling while soaking wet. Mousse consistency may change up application. I misted today and applied more and my hair is really voluminous (which I like and is hard for my hair to do) even though it is raining!

I like that there is little to scrunch out. It does add shine to my hair which I do not need. Perhaps if I can really go all natural and stop coloring, I would want the shine since I will have more gray.

Tomorrow morning I am going to try applying some to dry hair and leaving it to see what I get. My hair feels moisturized and yet not dirty which is a big deal for me.
    CG since 7/1/2010

Yes, towel drying to remove excess water before applying is what I've been doing, so give that a try for sure.
    The way it feels is really important to me. I can't stand the dirty feel I get from gels. And added volume is always a nice bonus :thumright: .
    As for greys and shine, I find my gray strands have more shine then the browns!
  • hmkennyhmkenny Posts: 1,467Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I have almost a full can of this stuff at home and I hate it. If anyone wants it you can have it for the price of postage. Just pm me.
    3a/medium texture/normal porosity
  • hmkennyhmkenny Posts: 1,467Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    hmkenny wrote: »
    I have almost a full can of this stuff at home and I hate it. If anyone wants it you can have it for the price of postage. Just pm me.

Hi all - someone has already claimed the freebie. :)
    3a/medium texture/normal porosity
  • DEL2CDEL2C Posts: 6,418Registered Users Curl Neophyte

join the club :lol: whenever I try to omit something I'm never happy with the end result. So I've come to terms with the fact that I need 2- 3 products, especially if I want 2nd day hair. BRHG is my topper always...
    BRHG (why must I be so dependent on you??)

I would simply DIE without BRHG or I would just have to resort to hair spray again, it is my HG for sure. Although by itself it doesn't do much but with other enhancers..... I just can't live without it. :love7:
    Might be a nice 2nd day hair refresher?

Just when I think I've tried it ALL. This worked remarkably well for me on 2nd day hair which has been eluding me most of the Summer. If I wet and add product it seems I've been just been creating more frizz, if I leave it alone it's undefined and boring....I added some AG Mousse Gel to dry hair and it gave me exactly what I needed. Some hold, some definition, shine all without wetting! It even held up to me putting it up while I washed the dog!

ETA: Mousse gel was OK on me on freshly washed hair but I still needed BRHG on top and I have other enhancers that work better. I'm making it a Day 2 product.
    Discovered CG 2007

2C Fia BSL/Thick/Med-Coarse/Low(crown)-Normal Porosity Protein and Oil Sensitive

Link-Spritz & Condish Washing:glasses7:

I'm aCurlJunkieJunky :love4:

My hair LOVES Coconut DESPISES Soap Bars :tongue6:

CJRehab or H&B Fix, Deva NO POO, EO Rose & Cham POO & Condish, CJ CurlFix, CJ Pattern Pusha, CJ CIAB, SS FHG, KCCC, BRHG, AG Mousse Gel, ACV Rinses,Shikakai Conditioning Hair Rinse.
    Okay. Last night I had this BRILLIANT idea (feel the sarcasm, please.) that I could take the beloved BRHG into the shower and use it sort of icequeen style. ALONE. No leave in. No SS FHG.

Beyond bad idea!! I had the hardest, most stringy hair that I have ever had. Thank goodness SS FHG is a forgiving product. I re-misted and added some and it saved my hair from having to be redone.

I just cannot seem to get the right amount of BRHG. Either too much or not enough! I'll figure all of this out and then it will be the bitter cold and I will get to relearn it all! haha!!
    CG since 7/1/2010

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights